Re: Teeworlds CTF community problem

chi1 has forgotten to say that the ideas that go against his bullshit map making theories --  theories that haven't helped to produce good maps for the moment -- are rejected. It is good that some people try to build new kinds of map, but at some point they have to be lucid.

Besides that I agree with Variecs and Choupom, map making should be more opened. One thread for each map sounds like a good idea.

52 (edited by Chi11y 2011-05-07 15:34:18)

Ubuntu wrote:

chi1 has forgotten to say that the ideas that go against his bullshit map making theories --  theories that haven't helped to produce good maps for the moment -- are rejected. It is good that some people try to build new kinds of map, but at some point they have to be lucid.

Besides that I agree with Variecs and Choupom, map making should be more opened. One thread for each map sounds like a good idea.

Considering that you have been included in the entire ctf6 making process, you are absolutely not in position to be throwing criticism of it around you.. You've had an infinite of chances to show edits but hasn't done so, so I haven't even had anything to reject smile The criticism of the map not being tested openly is partly directed to you, you have had the map and have been asked to see if you can get tests going, yet hasn't done so and I don't see that being my fault.

Anyway, there seems to be a lot of people who thinks ctf6 could be better, I'm yet again actively asking you to make your own tweaked versions and send to me, and the same has always, and will always apply to other maps aswell. This way we can make an already great map even better for next version of Teeworlds.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Ok, let's see what I reproach to ctf6:
- the placement of the pickups: many people, included me, complained. But you and steph just told us that it would be a new way of playing ctf blabla...
- the bottom of the base: since the start and during the many tests I have complained about the water, the fact that you fell into sometimes for bad reasons (hook too short, blocking...)
- the middle: again many people complained, but you prefered to keep on with your theories
- the movements: right now I don't really remember, but I pointed you some defaults just after the 0.6 release. I admit that there I could have helped before.

Globally we had no chances to show you edits of the map, because you rejected from the start most of the suggestions.

Dear ctf2 community,

please create a map with unhookables and death tiles, which pleases you and which pleases noobs and will be played by both.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

55 (edited by Var [TNB] 2011-05-07 17:27:13)

Usage of unhookable tiles is a really hard job. Especially I don't know how to use them, so i don't big_smile
I'm going to try making some fixes to ctf6, we'll see what will I get.
Still i think that movement is awesome, still middle got troubles, but not with that hill you catch every second time (it's all about movement skills), but with the space above that hill - you can't hook anything there. And yeah, water and pickups are placed bad.

Stay wild big_smile

It's been suggested to create topics for each map so the community can post suggestions and critics.
It might help to solve this problem we are discussing...

So we want to know: will it be done?

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

ghost91 wrote:

If the official mappers for some reason decide to follow your suggestion, and stop taking tips from the highlevel scene, what'll happen is exactly what magnet said earlier: We will stop playing the official maps and start using the old ones or even create our own competitive maps (e.g. ctf_lava).

Once again: I agree that teeworlds is not only about highlevel, but it is ALSO about highlevel and thus the official maps should be made competitive enough for the highlevel scene.

You can't please low, medium, and high level players at the same time. It's impossible.

I don't think anyone has a problem with you guys not playing the official maps and playing your own competitive maps. The high-level community is a minority.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

58 (edited by AwayD 2011-05-07 20:50:23)

yemDX wrote:

The high-level community is a minority.

Actually there are many many good players and just a few newbies because for some reason new players are not attracted by vannilla.

Anyways, some of you suggested to make maps harder and lower the amount of hearts and so on.
But why?
ctf2, "the noob map", is the most real-played map in teeworlds so I suggest to make the other maps "easier", add hearts etc. and be geared to ctf2.

AwayD wrote:
yemDX wrote:

The high-level community is a minority.

Actually there are many many good players and just a few newbies because for some reason new players are not attracted by vannilla.

Anyways, some of you suggested to make maps harder and lower the amount of hearts and so on.
But why?
ctf2, "the noob map", is the most real-played map in teeworlds so I suggest to make the other maps "easier", add hearts etc. and be geared to to ctf2.

No, there are lots of non-high-level players. Definitely more than the amount of high-level players.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Chi11y wrote:

I'm yet again actively asking you to make your own tweaked versions and send to me

So I, individually, can help by sending you a tweaked version of any official map I have a problem with? Cool. cool That's actually what I've wanted to do for a while; be apart of the mapping development. When I have some spare time, I'll send you edited maps with my reasons but since I can't do that by the forum, I'll need an e-mail...

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Since we are talking about ctf4 and ctf6, I thought I would offer my opinions as I don't see anywhere else to do so.

Ctf4 is pretty good. It doesn't have too many pickups near the bases so with more than 2 players on a team, the player carrier will likely have to wander into the middle to get weapons, and I like this. My biggest problem though is with the odd movement once you gain any speed. I might just have a hard time adapting but I don't think I have ever moved from one end to the other with any kind of speed without hitting one of the many bumps. Again, that could just be me.

Ctf6 on the other hand is some piece of work. Entities are oddly placed which leads to ultra slow movement. The pits are horribly placed over the bases and it is very easy as a defender to simply hook an attacking tee straight into them. Overall the movement is really awkward with the weird tall center section. If I have to find myself making that big agonizingly slow hook up around that hill in the middle one more time I will go crazy. Simply put, the upper path is massively more advantageous than the lower path but the problem is that in order to get to the upper path you have to hook upwards at angles causing slow movement. And I question how well this map holds up for many tees which is what it is intended for given the lack of weapons and sheer width.

There is a good reason why barely any of the several hundred servers right now are using ctf6 and it's not that the map is new because ctf4 is competing with current maps for medium sized games.

So will there finally be a thread in map section?

Stay wild big_smile