Topic: Teeworlds CTF community problem

Why am i writing it here? Bacuse it's senseless trying to talk about this in the game. They prefer to continue playing ctf2 and kick me everytime i start talking or even join a server.
So what's a trouble you say? Pro community destroys teeworlds. Let's look what we've got: around 50 people playing teeworlds at th damn high level and thinking they can decide for the rest players, which are thousands more. The way they usually spend time is playing ctf2. Next day - ctf2. Then again ctf2. OK, you gotta say it's best map.
IT'S NOT!
Look at it: it was made in version 0.3.0 (!!), was made mostly for noobs, which can be easily proved by looking on the structure of the map. You're able to move without a hook without any troubles. No, it's not a bad stuff, but let's look further: 1-tile wall! THROUGHT THE WHOLE MAP, AT THE BOTH SIDES! You guys gotta be kidding me, you call THIS best map ever?
And health placement? 10 health at base? Flagcarries can survive TWICE long by simply staying close.
Sure, i won't say we're able to find better maps, but, really, do you think that other maps like ctf6 are that worse? Or is it just you who's too lazy to start playing anything else?
There's a thing called crowd opinion. People simply think that ctf2 is the one and only possible pro map. The end. And even when somebody starts to think it's not, crowd opinion blocks any possibility to let this idea grow and fight.
I'm sure this topic is able to start holywar with a words like "you're just nab that knows nothing about teeworlds, that's how it's gotta be". But do you know something i don't? Did somebody keep in secret some important information about this game, which makes such a big difference in our opinions?
I'm sure not. Then let's think, perhaps first time after starting playing teeworlds: "Why we keep playing ctf2?"
Look at the vanilla popularity. Sure nobody likes it! The only entertainment is playing capgames, over and over, at the same map. Yes, i also play them and think it's fun, but that doesn't mean that playing other maps isn't fun at all. WE just have never given it a try.
So i whisper to all players who think they're proffesional CTF players. Except of kicking me next time, think of my words, and make your choise: are you a part of a crowd or you're able to change something in the regime created by the 3 years of pro teeworlds gaming.
Sincerelly yours,
Variecs.

Stay wild big_smile

Re: Teeworlds CTF community problem

As far as i understood it, you want to tell the highlevelplayers that they are nubs cuz they dont play others map often?^^

If yes, on which map do you want that i pwn you to prove you that i can own on every map?^^

3 (edited by Var [TNB] 2011-05-04 21:39:56)

That was just an example. I meant that teeworlds community is too conservative, so any tries to implement something new just meet the wall and get forgotten. Was there any ctf6 capgame so far? How much ctf6 servers are there? And ctf2 ones?
Here's the answer. And i don't want you to prove me something, i want you to pick up your ass and make the gameplay here more different ^^

Stay wild big_smile

at least its cute what you are trying

but the same way its senseless, we are the highlevel scene if you want it, or not because we play ctf2 most.

we already try to add ctf7 or smth like that in the "playlist" but what for ctf6?
its only a big annoying map for 8on8 like ctf5, its good j4f but not if you want to mess up your skill.

and afaik, there already was a match on ctf6, Qi vs the world, or smth like that (Qi won ofc)

I agree with Variecs, we should find out who those high level players are and ban them if possible.. it's a shame something like this happened!

We can all learn from opinions of legends like Variecs. I am sure that with him as leader of the new high level community teeworlds will be a much better place big_smile

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

It's a nice stuff you got a sense of humor AMN, but i think topic deserves to be discussed serious, isn't it? You already had enough fun not listening to me, find a couple of minutes for this problem.
RUSterrorist, honestly, how did you come to the conclusion this map is 8v8 and, which is even more strange, for noobs? I won't disagree yet, but i need an arguments that will prove me and rest that ctf6 is really WORSE than ctf2. Otherwise => read first post again.

Stay wild big_smile

7 (edited by Bee 2011-05-04 23:16:54)

Since you want a serious conversation, I will seriously evaluate your opinion.

Var [TNB] wrote:

They prefer to continue playing ctf2 and kick me everytime i start talking or even join a server.

Probably because they’re trying to focus while your blabbing your opinions all over chat. Teeworlds is mainly for playing—not chatting.

Var [TNB] wrote:

…it was made in version 0.3.0 (!!), was made mostly for noobs, which can be easily proved by looking on the structure of the map. You're able to move without a hook without any troubles. No, it's not a bad stuff, but let's look further: 1-tile wall! THROUGHT THE WHOLE MAP, AT THE BOTH SIDES! You guys gotta be kidding me, you call THIS best map ever?
And health placement? 10 health at base? Flagcarries can survive TWICE long by simply staying close.

1) Just because it’s noob-friendly doesn’t devalue the map’s structure whatsoever. In fact, I think it’s an achievement if a map is playable for both pros and newbies.
2) How do 1x1 tiles sections devalue the map? Considering it’s the only official ctf map with 1x1 sections, it is unique. I personally like that it’s 1x1. It makes it much more interesting if you can shoot a player with the grenade launcher from the bottom than having to go all the way around it to get to him.
3) Staying close to the base while carrying the flag is the point, right? You wouldn’t want your team’s flag to return to its spawn point if you’re messing around in the opposing base. Besides, ctf6 has way more health in its base (14) than cff2. They’re not hearts but shield are generally more important in fights because you always spawn with ten hearts.

My de-validation of your argument isn’t to say that I agree with those “community destroying” pro players, but your argument's validity was annoying me. I personally don’t think ctf2 is the best map. In many ways I like ctf5 more but that’s probably because I’ve played that map the most. I think all maps have their pro’s and con’s but I try to play them all equally so to become an all around skilled player. So yes, I think it’s lame that they play ctf2 all the time tongue but I wouldn’t make a topic argument about it.
To be honest, I still don’t know what you hope to achieve here by discussing this or why you seem to think their actions are destroys the Teeworlds’ community...

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

1) True, but i noticed that so everyone could understand that this map was done very long time ago, when hooking walls wasn't too popular and didn't seem important. Because, actually, the age of this map is the main trouble here: pro players like it too much because they didn't like anything else for pretty long time.
2) The fact is that 1-tile wall harder to hook, which creates rare, still undesirable mistakes, and also it looks ugly when such a long narrow piece is flying in the air, it always seemed to me like it is gonna broke. Also you're able to shoot enemies throught this wall, and in most of the times it's a luck shots (say thanks you're not able to hammer throught it already).
3) About health: do not forget that ctf6 is much bigger, and gotta say that there you can find only armor, that means time to time you still need to go out for health. In ctf2 you can simply collect all the pickups, become fat and sit there like in a fortress, which creates stupid confrontations with 2 flagcarriers which can last half the game. I'm not sure if that is called balance.
Why did i make a topic about it? As i already said, it was jsut an example. Look the number of players in 0.6 and in 0.5. It is already nothing about pros, but still: people are playing old versions. They're too conservate, which is a big problem. I've never met this somewhere else. So this is why teeworlds community is destroying: it has no evolution, we're making 1 step a year, this game deserves more than a bunch of oldfags hanging every evening (no arguing pls, it's true).
And, yeah, was my mistake to start this question ingame, but i talked about this problem with different people, both noobs or pros, and once it's just happened so that i got bored of it and started shitting around with my opinion. Sorry for that.

Stay wild big_smile

I agree about the community being extremely resistant to change, and in the long run, it may make the community worse.

ctf2 is a good map, but it gets old after the billionth time.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

I'm brazilian, so I'm applying our scene over here:
ctf5 and ctf6 are big maps, they require more players. Thus, if we want a good fight we need more good players than we need in ctf2.
Sure, we have such players, but it's not that easy to have all of them around at the same time.

In a medium map like ctf2 we can do our "tasks" ingame well. It's not that hard to track down the flagcarrier; meanwhile, in ctf5, you can spend a really good time just trying to find that player. That's not really cool.

Also, ctf7 is a small map and it always end up leaving some players out of the game. Of course, we can rotate. But when you add newbies to these rotating players, the game can turn out to be really boring.

I'm not saying I don't like ctf5 and ctf6. I actually find them pretty nice.
We might give a try to ctf6, but I consider ctf5 a fun map, not up for serious matches.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

In all these posts one thing was left out: ctf4. The new version is actually quite good in my opinion, and it's also very different from all the other maps (in terms of shape). Playing there at a high level would be a very unique and interesting opinion. However, as far as I understand, it's meant to be a 4on4 map. But 4on4 games are played on ctf2 mostly. The problem is that until now, most of the "pro" players have not started training on this new map (even less than on ctf6). I hope that this might change in the future and a greater variety of maps will be played in the "pro" scene. We already had a change like that with the release of 0.5 with ctf3. 3on3s are played there regularly. Why not start playing 4on4s on ctf4? Most people agree that ctf2 is too big for 4on4s (well they can be played, but if it is possible, people will always try for 5on5s), so ctf4 would be a really good alternative.

About ctf2 in general: I think it is a great map. There is a reason it is the map played the most in the highlevel ctf scene, and I think we should acknowledge that. However, as Var already pointed out, other maps (e.g. ctf3, ctf4, ctf6) do not stand behind ctf2, and a lot of people in the "pro" scene seem to be too narrow-minded and conservative to realize that (this is not meant to be offending). Maybe and hopefully with this thread this will change.

I agree with Slinack, because ToF DESTROYS Qi!

I just like ctf2 becuase other people do. i like the others as well, but ctf3 remains my favorite

Another thing about the highlevel scene is that they are so damn cocky

ghost91, ctf4 is too small for 4n4, it usually becomes a random hammer melee at prebase, there is just too much people going through the prebase.
That said, the map is pretty balanced (not too easy to atk and not too easy to def), and i think ctf4 could be fixed (for example rescaled a bit) in the next version so 4n4 is playable on this map.

I'm sure the highlevel vanilla scene is ready to play on other maps, if these maps are playable (ctf7 is a good example).

For ctf5 and ctf6, imo it won't ever work because at more than 6n6 it usually becomes a random game, there is always someone would have to go afk or have to leave, and finally it becomes a fail-game (it's already usual in ctf2 6n6 games). Maybe it could work for clanwars, but anyway it's too hard to find at least 7 players online in clans of about 10-12 members.

There's 6v6 capgames time to time, so i see no reason to disagree playing those capgames on ctf6. At ctf2 it's even worse because players get too less pickups, block each other etc.
ctf4 seems for me to be good 3v3 map. Which is actually a good news, because popular ctf3 also got some troubles. Still gotta say that ctf4 is the worst map among added, there's too much corners and structure isn't yet perfect.
And right, ctf2 is perfect for 5v5, so we need some kind of 4v4 map. It might be reworked ctf4 or even ctf8, whatever you like. Still i feel like there's too much pickups when playing 4v4 clanwars.

Stay wild big_smile

I wonder why the "pro scene" has to solve your silly problems...
It´s like: Hey, there are new maps, you are pros you HAVE TO play them.
lol

We tried a shitty 4on4 on that ctf4 map, its PURE BULLSHIT, the gameplay is shitty, to get weapons while moving to oppenent base is some kind of luck most times, if you dont have it, you have to slow down or go back to pick the weapon up.
And i never heared someone complaining about ctf2 is too big for 4on4, ctf2 is the best map for 4on4/5on5, 6on6 is able to play on it, but just a bit annoying, not because there are too much players, because you have to show more skill than always.

Why are you complaining about situations like, if both flagcarrier have the flag and are camping in base?
These are the most exciting situations ingame!
It shows which of the defenders are the better one and which flagcarrier is the better survivor!
I know why you are complaining, because you arent able to play such exciting games!
In capgames its rare that someone choose you, you are the one who get kicked that some skilled players can join tongue

Well, at least, we are fucking pros, we play the maps where we can mess up our skills with others, and if we like a new map, we will play some matches on it (for example: ctf7).
Dont give us the fault that there are less servers with the new maps or that they arent that much played, if you want them, get a root, set up servers and let some new players have fun on it till they are ready to join the highlevelcommunity on ctf2 to get more powerfull to destroy the whole community!

I am RUSterrorist!

I agree with the general sentiment that people are reluctant to play new maps because they're comfortable where they are. A good example was ctf_lava which is an awesome & well thought map for the pro community and wasn't greeted with much optimism. However I think people are OK to play other maps in general when they're official, but the maps have to be decent first. The new ctf4 and ctf6, just like ctf5, are completely inappropriate for challenging games. If I didn't know better I would think they are designed to be unplayable.

As RUS said, and that should just show you your argument is wrong Variecs, we played a 4on4 on the new ctf4 against iB. If one of the two main "pro" teams did a CW there, it's a proof that we want to test and play all maps. It was a random, very bad game, the map has no flow. Of course Qi won anyway smile. It shares a problem ctf6 has, the lack of proper pickups. When you criticized ctf2 pickups location, you lost your argument already because it showed you didn't realize how smart this was. Hearts and shields in bases aren't only for flaggers, they're also for attackers! Actually, pickups position AND usage is a very important aspect of the relation between maps & in-game playing.

Ctf6's separation of hearts and shields is an attempt at forcing flaggers to move out of base to get refills, because we feared too much camping and blocky situations in the 7on7/8on8 mode it was made for (how I know? Because the map was made by Steph for that purpose when I kept asking for a decent "big game" pro map to supplement ctf5). The problem is that it doesn't work, and that there aren't enough pickups for that number of players. It's simple math, you look at ctf2's perfect ratio of pickups/kind/player in 5on5 and you keep that ratio for all maps, but hey, some people have different opinions, no problem with me, but then you can't expect the "pro" community to play maps that aren't designed for the actual pace of pro games (lots of deaths, etc). ctf6 is the ugly step child of ctf_lava and ctf3 and whether it comes to strategic possibilities *or* tricks, it falls short compared to ctf2.

We do love ctf2, but we're not conservative. Unlike what you say, most of the so-called pro community were first to move to 0.6.0. The problem with maps is that there is no decent replacement, the day we have one, we will probably have map rotations and play them all.

PS: yes, we did have cap games on ctf6 ... after and before it was called ctf6

ctf2 is not a pro map: the item placement originates from 0.3 and is absolutely imbalanced (whereever you are you have the possibility to get at least 7 shield+hearts within 2 secs). In addition the whole game play is about defending the flag, because there are only two base exits which are quite easy to defend. In my opinion ctf2 needs to get adjusted for 0.6 or 0.7 game play: hearts and shields should be reduced dramatically to the standard of 3 powerups at one place. Only special places e.g. the center are supposed to have more, but for the price of being easily hurtable.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:

ctf2 is not a pro map: the item placement originates from 0.3 and is absolutely imbalanced (whereever you are you have the possibility to get at least 7 shield+hearts within 2 secs). In addition the whole game play is about defending the flag, because there are only two base exits which are quite easy to defend. In my opinion ctf2 needs to get adjusted for 0.6 or 0.7 game play: hearts and shields should be reduced dramatically to the standard of 3 powerups at one place. Only special places e.g. the center are supposed to have more, but for the price of being easily hurtable.

I guess this is ironic, but just for the record: why not let people who actually master the game rather than the map editor decide what makes sense and what doesn't? You say you can get 7 shields+hearts within 2secs, but 2s are an eternity in a high-level game. The new maps that dramatically lack pickups make boring games where you spend your life with a pistol and 6 hp (and die when meeting the first opponent with a grenade launcher, who got it thanks to a lucky timing) and that's why they're not interesting for high-level. Anyone is free to disagree with this fact, but then you must also agree those maps aren't suitable for what we call high-level. And that's why the day ctf2 is changed, we will keep on playing "ctf2_old" which we will in fact call "ctf2_true" tongue.

PS: by saying the gameplay is defending the flag, you just described CTF smile. But there are more positions & dynamics in ctf2 than just camping base, even if that's the basic strategy that works on any map. Also, I don't think defending on ctf2 is easy, it's in fact easier on most other ctf maps.

Magnet is the best!

Landil, it seems easy to defend the flag for you, because there are just 2 exits.
In theory its correct, but practical its not. big_smile

Its all about the "skill level" of the defenders and the attackers. You can set up 2 Midlevel defenders to defend the flag and say: It´s easy they should be able to defend the flag whole time. But when i will atk them (for example) there will be nearly every touch a score. So its not all about the numbers of ways to escape or the numbers of pickups there. Its all about skill and tactic.

You maybe think to defend the base isnt that complicated, but its already important where one of the defenders is staying in the "prebase". If he is on the wrong position, everyone can go through without getting damaged, same for base defenders. Both need to be flexible, because at least there are 2 ways to enter the prebase, then they can split up again in 2 ways into the base.

hmmmm
What i want to say, I agree with Magnet and the map is well balanced x3

Landil wrote:

Why are you referring to 0.3? The items/weapons didn't change that much since 0.3. The biggest changes since 0.3: the movements. Surprisingly ctf2 is even better with the new movements of 0.4, whereas dm2 is awful. Maybe it was pure luck, maybe matricks tweaked the movements to fit ctf2, I don't know. But what I know is that the problem isn't ctf2.

I think that the high level community wants to play new maps, it is not like they never tried to introduce new maps. Personally I tried and failed with ctf_lava, but I am ready to improve the map if people show interest, suggest me ideas...

21 (edited by Var [TNB] 2011-05-06 14:28:28)

Yeah, i like how you're complaining about my skill RUSterrorist. But i won't care about it and will concentrate on the main question: so okay, new official maps are bad, but this doesn't change anything. We still need something to replace ctf2. So, if you guys think there's no map that is able to replace it, we gotta make a new maps or fix the current ones.
And this is not MY problem, this is a problem of the COMMUITY. This is the biggest mistake of the most of players - they think that crowd is always right. Unfortunately, crowd is mostly wrong, that's why it's called crowd. So I think we really should change something. Perhaps we gotta make a map with the community advices? Like, each new version will be posted here, and we will rework a bad moments there until it becomes good enough to work as ctf2.
P.S. rustnab, defending myself is the best stuff among the noobshit i'm able to do.

Stay wild big_smile

I never complained about your lack of skill.
I just think you try to make us playing new maps will make your chances better to get chosen.

And now you are talking about "replacing" ctf2, loool.
Stop making troubles where arent some.
In highlevel counterstrike games they dont replace a map cuz its fucking old, too.
They just add sometimes a new well playable map, like we did with ctf7.
But the rest is shit.

Let's separate this question
1) Who damn cares why did i start this topic? There can be billions of reasons to do this, but it doesn't change the fact this trouble exists.
2) Ok, sure not replacing. I picked a wrong word. We'd never stop playing ctf2.
3) So let's add that goddamn playable map! That's what i'm asking you about. You position yourself as mapcreator, so you're might understanding what is it. Tell us about the requirements of well playable map (i'm kinda asking that second time). Otherwise, if you can't name those requirements, are you sure that you're able to decide which map is good and which isn't?

Stay wild big_smile

I've been following this topic but decided not to join in the discussion, everyone knows my opinion and it's much more interesting for me to hear what the community thinks either way.

With that being said, I specifically reached out to the ctf2 community, gave several people access to the beta version of ctf6 and asked for them to try it out as much as possible and give suggestions for improvement. afaik that resulted in the total number of 3 cap games, of which all I was the leading force in organizing, and of which very little suggestions were sent in. There's much good talk about being open to new maps, but when it comes to actually improving the situation there's quite alot to ask for. I might be the main map dev, but as most of you guys know I'm not in the top tier of ctf2 community, so I'm asking for support from you guys.

Anyway, this is a good discussion, and you should know that I'm following it, just refer from doing personal attacks and instead try to be productive! smile

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

25 (edited by RUSterrorist 2011-05-06 17:15:31)

hi chi1

Varnub, all you have done till now is to "flame" us (the highlevelnubs) that we *snip* cuz we dont play*snip* nubmaps which arent playable at high*snip*level. So stop pushing us to play that *snip*, if there is a map which we mean is playable, we *snip* play that!

// edited by Landil