Re: [CLIENT] Nodes 1.0.2

I also tried to create a new Nodes version, which based on the newest teeworlds source (with one, two bug fixes)! But then I get a problem: "Which version number I should use?". So I have decide, that i won't release the new mod. Because people get angry, when it gives a new official Version "Why your mod not work with... blablalbla..". or Inherited get angry :"Who allows you to steal my mod... blablabla" . But there were other reasons, too.

So I would be happy if I could join the development team of nodes.

Greetz,
Error

[GMD]Error wrote:

I also tried to create a new Nodes version, which based on the newest teeworlds source (with one, two bug fixes)! But then I get a problem: "Which version number I should use?". So I have decide, that i won't release the new mod. Because people get angry, when it gives a new official Version "Why your mod not work with... blablalbla..". or Inherited get angry :"Who allows you to steal my mod... blablabla" . But there were other reasons, too.

So I would be happy if I could join the development team of nodes.

Greetz,
Error

There is no "people" here, only heroiamarelo is complaining about that, and he's by no way in position to do so. Please ignore him.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

103 (edited by Mo2 2011-09-07 01:11:13)

[GMD]Error wrote:

a new Nodes version, which based on the newest teeworlds source

To understand you right... you moved the old 0.5.2 TW-based nodes to a 0.6.1 TW-based nodes?

Edit: BTW - Regarding compatibility: A client-update is necessary anyway. Nodes Server/Client supports 64 clients. Normal TW masterservers could support 64 clients - in theory. But they may not do so because old TW-Clients would crash with too many players. So it's not necessary for Nodes as stand alone itself. But we currently does not stand alone and even use (or better almost only use) the normal TW masterservers. And that's bad for old TW-Clients if too much player would play again Nodes (as it was already the case in the past where servers got a ban because to many players played on it). And that's the reason why we have to lower the max player limit to 16 or add a new master. But the current Nodes Clients don't know the master of Kottizen and there are currently less players anyway (so in my opinion it's a no-go to hope that all would add Kottizens one manually - and unfortunately there is a max-master-server limit hardcoded into the current code that limits to 4 masterservers - where 4 master-servers are a default already - means 4 - 4 = 0 left).

But you could use the new master servers protocol of 0.6.0, it won't crash the new clients if you report >16 player, however, these servers won't show up in the vanilla client.

105 (edited by Mo2 2011-12-30 04:07:56)

1.0.1 Clients are "half" compatible (old clients would not find servers that are registered to Kottizens master server cause they don't know them by default)... anyway if you find a server you can connect save wink

New config commands:
sv_max_connections - Maximum count of connection from one IP server can accept
sv_min_ip_con_delay - Min delay in seconds of connnecting from same IP
sv_rcon_tries - How many password tries before ban
sv_rcon_tries_bantime - How much time will the brute rcon password attacker will be banned
sv_netmsg_limit - How many unauthed Command Tries Before ban
sv_netmsg_bantime - How much time will the unauthed rcon command spammer will be banned
sv_veteran_turrets - Enable increasion of firerate/range after 100/200 shots (default is disabled)

This version is the first "save" 32/64 player version (all servers that register to normal masters may get banned if they got more then 16 players connected).
This version removes the hardcoded PW which is a major security leak.
I've even included the veteran function for turrets... but since this is a (not too small) gameplay change I've disabled the setting by default (anyway I found out that lot's played againd and again on my buggish nodes+ server which even included that feature and more so...). Maybe I would even include the turrets-scoring from nodes+ same way later but it's currently buggish and need further polishment.
I've you are a Windows user you can even use the setup-installer instead of the zip-file... which could create you a desktop-link and an uninstaller-entry (created with Inno-Setup).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Thanks MO!

-SALAD

Yeah Nodes is a bit more alive ^^

Dune wrote:

There is no "people" here, only heroiamarelo is complaining about that, and he's by no way in position to do so. Please ignore him.

Hey I only try to help.  What is wrong with you?

404 - Brain not found, or what?
Go out of your dark basement, into the fresh air. It should help.

Mo2 wrote:

To understand you right... you moved the old 0.5.2 TW-based nodes to a 0.6.1 TW-based nodes?

Yes....

Mo2 wrote:

But the current Nodes Clients don't know the master of Kottizen and there are currently less players anyway (so in my opinion it's a no-go to hope that all would add Kottizens one manually - and unfortunately there is a max-master-server limit hardcoded into the current code that limits to 4 masterservers - where 4 master-servers are a default already - means 4 - 4 = 0 left).

But 0.6.1 enforces a compatible break. So it should no problem to use a new masterserver in a new Nodes version. Some people asked about a Nodes which is based on 0.6.0 (you even if I remember correctly).

The hardcoded limit.... Damn... Rewriting?

As inherited an me do not have any time to progress with nodes' development it would be great to see you developing nodes. If you need any help please don't hesitate to ask me and I will help. You may develop it as the true, official nodes as otherwise nodes-development would stop anyways.

Of course I would be glad to see nodes ported to 0.6.1 engine, but that's up to you.

/ First page updated /

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Yeah, cool! I will look for Tees playing Nodes right now! big_smile
Thanks a lot!

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Yeah Porting Nodes to 0.6 would be a very great step to the next level of the Nodes develop.
Would be great to see Nodes in 0.6

112 (edited by Mo2 2011-09-14 00:12:36)

@'[GMD]Error'

Yes....

Impressive. Are you done already?

Btw: Today I've read that in the teeworlds-dev IRC channel:
[21:56:14] <Dunedune> don't quite get why embedded images are obsolete
[21:56:32] <matricks> Dunedune: because the client can download textures from the server now
[21:56:38] <matricks> it downloads all the tileset images

[22:34:09] <BotoX> and how can you play sounds, that the client downloads?
[22:34:28] <BotoX> or is this feature in work
[22:38:06] <matricks> itn't done yet
[22:38:21] <matricks> the server can't reference resources yet, that would be the next step

Seems there are some upcoming changes to TW in sight... smile

The hardcoded limit.... Damn... Rewriting?

Already done. It's not the problem to rewrite things but to get Nodes alive again. There was a 0/0 player/server state a few weeks/months ago but it's increasing now. Incompatible stuff is ok but I would avoid to many incompatible updates to make it easy to get players that got already client into servers. So I've even included sv_master_compat option just to get sure even 1.0.1 clients could be hold compatible. What this mods needs badly are players. But it's better now. There are servers up again and even some (still few) players play on it. This could be better but it's a lifesign.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

113 (edited by Mo2 2011-12-30 04:08:14)

New version released.
Info: Just the server changed... so if you already have 1.0.2 client there is no need to download again.

Changes:
If you create a building you get owner status of it now. Based on that addition following server config options was added (which may be de/activated) :

sv_owner_protection: Buildings that was created by you may just auto-self-destruct by you and nobody else. That way even the initial place of the generator is protected by team-fun-switchers. However this protection does not prevent buildings from friendlyfire by itself... so if no further option is set even your team members may destroy your buildings via manual weapon shot. But it's not that easy to quickly initiate self-destruct and switch team or leave. And it's not necessary anymore to get some score before you may self-desctruct your wrong placed buildings (as it was the case in nodes-vt in the past).
sv_score_turrets: If a turret owned by you shot an enemy you score (and you might hear a sound if an enemy get hit even if you are building already somewhere else, which could be very dulcet noise after a while big_smile)

At this place: Thx to GreYFoX for helping me at the turret scoring in previous code.

Edit: BTW I would find it really cool if the nodes homepage (or an alternative) could get little bit more ... uhm... "alive" again. I would NOT create a homepage myself. However I think we can get way more players into nodes if we would advertise it at free gaming sites like http://happypenguin.org or http://www.acid-play.com/ and others... But that all does not make really sense if there is no working homepage as reference.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Windows .zip is defect

andi103 wrote:

Windows .zip is defect

Yes, sorry... was way too small. Fixed it now.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

thanks and nice work. Will test it now ^^

I'm sorry to tell you that I would stop maintaining nodes so far. After digging deeper into the code I've found copyrighted fonts that was included so I would no longer provide setups or zip for clients. The only available downloads so far are the patches from 1.0.1-svn to 1.0.2 from 1.0.2 to 1.0.3 and the server binaries for Linux (since they don't even care regarding such content). But I'm currently the only one who is hosting a version > 1.0.1 anyway ... whatever that means. I'm not sure how long I would provide these either. Since 1.0.1 stuff seems still to be used... you can even host 100% compatible with the newer versions to that old 1.0.1 clients if you keep max clients < 17 players and settins "sv_master_compat 1" in the config (so old masterservers fould be choosen/forced).

Btw. in 0.6.1 base there is DejaVu used as font... which is way better regarding this. Maybe [GMD]Error would continue from this point on. There is already a little lifesign again.

Sorry,
Mo(2)

huh? what do you mean with copyrighted fonts? If there is anything copyright protected in there we should replace it with another font.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

This is a very good client! I rarely play there, because very few players.

Landil wrote:

huh? what do you mean with copyrighted fonts? If there is anything copyright protected in there we should replace it with another font.

For example "tahoma.ttf" which is copyright protected by Microsoft and came with the source (even with the source of 0.5.2 TW) and I guess is used as a base to generate *.png files which are used by clients afterwards. In the same folder 2 or 3 other .ttf files with non-microsoft fonts (don't found so fast who owns them - would not invest too much time in that). I think Microsoft would not really care if windows-users get it again (even it's not 100% correct)... they got it already with their OS anyway. But Teeworlds/Nodes is multiplatform and Linux-Users does not already got a legal copy of tahoma.ttf with their OS (I guess it's the same on MacOS) - so in that cases distribution is moving from grey-zone to black-zone. This problem is solved in 0.6.0 TW... since there was a move away from this fonts to DejaVu (which is very liberal regarding that).

yea the bug fixes are very helpful thanks to Mo[2] and the others [who help for nodes] now i think their next [mission] is to make nodes more popular

dreamy

If you want a perfect map for your own server you can PM me to make you one ^^

Please also try play nodes you may download it here!. And as always.Have a nice day

links are broken =\

Skorpion wrote:

links are broken =\

Yes... all links except the patches and the server-binaries for Linux. If somebody is going to replace that annoying fonts for the clients I see no reason why I should not put the stuff public again. But... in theory that should not be necesarry if [GMD]Error would pick up from that point with 0.6.1 Nodes. It's a bad idea to fiddle around on two incompatible versions anyway. In meanwhile I've coded on a different (new) mod that is almost done. But I still like Nodes. Anyway... maybe all that would change with 0.7 TW since it seems there would be possibilities to provide gfx and audio via server (don't know how much but it sounds impressive). If there could be a Nodes without the need of a custom client it would be great...

Greetings,
Mo(2)

please reupload

-SALAD

125 (edited by [GMD]Error 2011-12-29 13:16:08)

Almost done!

Hello people,

I need some ideas for the new Helmets.
Did you like the current advantages/disadvantages?
Which advantages/disadvantages they should have?
And which version of the helmet do you prefer?

Barrett
http://img804.imageshack.us/img804/8586/barett.th.png
+ Faster Bullet
+ faster regeneration
+ Reduced reload time

Helmet
http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/9430/helmetuv.th.pnghttp://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9607/helmet2v.th.png
+ Only Half damage
- The helmet is heavy... 10% less speed.