Re: [CLIENT] Nodes 1.0.2

Thats why friendly fire is bad sad

Once in a century...

Mo2 wrote:
Nilaya wrote:

We need a way to stop team killers from destroying reactors asap.

Many of that "team-killers" that do it soon after the start of the game are no real teamkillers but guys that know the map and even know the current startpos of the reactor is bad. In theory mappers could protect the reactor with level-II-metal-blocks... or set the startpos fair so nobody like to replace it soon. Many are frustrated by guys that are repairing the reactor that would be nuked by such a reason. And I'm sure others are even furstrated because they think "oh no my reactor...!!". Since the reactor is a main-building (and in some maps it's a bad idea to self-destruct it for replacement reason to early) some team-only voting could be an option in such case. Or at least some maps needs to be balanced.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

I realize this might be the case, but way too many games are being ruined by teamkillers who subsequently disconnect as soon as they destroy the reactor.

53 (edited by Bee 2011-03-23 17:45:00)

After playing nodes 1.0.1 for quite some time, I have some suggestions.

• A vote for deconstructing the reactor
    Usually when the reactor sends out messages of it obviously being deconstructed, I say: "Who the hell is deconstructing the reactor?"
    *silence*
    Me: "..." *fixes reactor* *annoyed*
    Having a vote sent out only to the team that wishes to deconstruct their reactor and a message of who called it and their reason, would help a lot.

• Team-member's hammer collision off when fixing buildings.
    Super annoying when you're trying to fix something and you keep on accidentally hitting your tee-mate.

• A special sound for when a spawn point is built
    Since they're a vital importance to have they deserve their own sound.

• Fix teleport bug
    When someone tries to fix a damaged teleport it won't stop teleporting him from one tele to another. Kinda annoying.

• Fix explosion?
    When you build or repair a building, it have a explosion effect in the bg?

• Repeler
    A gun or building simular to shield generator (but with longer recharge time), that would send out a shock wave sending enemy tees flying (even if they where stationed by hooking the ground) but having no effect on tee-mates. The main reason for this is the time period before you get tech level 2 is a very hard one. Tees keep on kamikaze-ing over to your base. It would help with getting those little buggers out of your hair so you have more time fixing what they've tried to destroy.

• Doors?
    yikes Conventional appearing and disappearing unhookables are cool but they don't do back and forth from closed to open. Just a thought...

And a new buff idea:

buff: Bubble
buff description: The holder has the option to create, lets say 3, bubbles around any object or in thin air at will with the aim and click of the mouse. Bubbles are allowed to appear around the holder, his tee-mates, his team's buildings, enemy tees, but perhaps not around enemy buildings and not in solid objects since it'd serve no purpose. The Bubble is simular to a shield but not as powerful and stays on an object for quite sometime if no damage is done to it. Instead of reflecting projectiles, it absorbs enemy and turret projectile and damage (up to 5-10) then goes away when its limit is reacted. If put over a tee, the tee can not shoot others until the bubbles damage limit is reached. When stationed in the air, it wouldn't effect tee-mates or enemy tees if they walk or hook though them but still absorbs damage.

graphical effect: The holder has a different skin or special hat. A yellow or white bubble expands into existence when the holder clicks. Energy-like-absorption-effect when absorbing projectiles. Quickly fades out of existence when its damage limit is reacted.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

54 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-25 00:34:39)

alias wrote:

How about if someone kills their own reactor, they get a 30 min ban smile

Then it's to late in some cases - and even to hard in other cases (where the reactor was placed bad).

I've added today "if someone shoots his own reactor and got to less score die immediately" into the code.
But after trying a little bit around that sucked cause if somebody is attacking your reactor it's pretty hard as defender to aim just the enemy and not even the reactor. So removed.

Anyway after trying my new map for a few minutes today and fighting alone against two others... (where I did loose slowly I guess anyway but still tried to keep them off my buildings) some of the others switched to my team and initiated self-destruction. So the game was useless afterwards....  After that I quit added "if someone tries to self-destruct and got score < 8 don't selfdestruct anything but die immediately yourself instead" into the code and did not find any bad side-effect so far. The only way you can do similar crap is by using weapons. So I've added additionaly sv_vote sv_buildings_ff 0 and 1   for voting...

Edit - Changed the stuff to lower score and just deny without self-kill. Some play hours and build a lot an slowly reaches some higher scores.

Patch:

--- nodes-1.0.1-svn/src/game/server/entities/character.cpp      2011-03-24 23:31:22.000000000 +0100
+++ nodes-1.0.1-svn-mod2/src/game/server/entities/character.cpp 2011-03-24 17:36:04.000000000 +0100
@@ -340,7 +340,10 @@
                        game.send_chat_target(player->client_id, "Please wait before deconstructing another building");
                        return;
                }
-
+                if(player->score < 5){
+                        game.send_chat_target(player->client_id, "Too less skill. Please try again with score > 4.");
+                        return;
+                }
                player->destroy_tick = server_tick();
                b[0]->decon = true;
                int target = GAMECONTEXT::CHAT_RED;

Greetings,
Mo(2)

55 (edited by Landil 2011-03-23 19:02:04)

The following idea came up my mind: what about creating a team edit: vote if so wants to deconstruct a building?

@all: I'm reading all your comments and suggestions carefully, but I do not have the time to answer them.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I agree with Bee's suggestions smile
Especialy the teleporter "bug"
You should make a "use" key. Like,use teleporter or door

Once in a century...

57 (edited by Bee 2011-03-23 17:53:10)

Landil wrote:

The following idea came up my mind: what about creating a team if so wants to deconstruct a building?

I don't understand your idea... Perhaps you need to reword it. lol

Elite Tee wrote:

You should make a "use" key. Like, use teleporter or door

Oh, I get it. Inset of the conventional, you stand on the teleport for it to teleport you, you must hit a button for it to tele. That could fix the issue. smile Nice idea Elite!

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

I edited my post.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I love the idea wink
Although non-voters can be quite the nuisance so I suggested that verdicts are based on those who actually voted. Say there are 12 blue players and a reactor deconstruction vote is called. 4 yes, 1 no, and 7 undecided. Normally the vote would turn out to be 33% yes and 8% no; resulting in nothing getting done. However if based on those who actually voted, it would turn out to be 80% yes and 20% no; resulting in the reactor's deconstruction.

Landil wrote:

The following idea came up my mind: what about creating a team edit: vote if so wants to deconstruct a building?

To prevent funvoters that enter in the server (changing IP, client or something else continuously) there could be a limitation for the vote e. g. if you are playing (no spectating) for 2-3 minutes then you can vote to deconstruct the reactor.

» Albert Einsteein: I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

61 (edited by DARK HUNTER 2011-03-27 01:15:07)

This gets more complicated by the second yikes
How about "Vote for Deconstructor"
Make a certain player on your team privileged to have the reactor deconstruct ability.
A person who the team has the most trust.

Once in a century...

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work...

Bee wrote:

I'm pretty sure that doesn't work...

afaik you can repair teleporters if you stand near them and repair them from there.

1 Question:

Is it normal to not be able to see your server in the server browser unless you add it to favourites?

1. Bug:

After I entered my server I took a look around the map, then this guy suddenly comes into play "[o.O]" or something like that. He made a call vote from F1 to set build tech level 3 and I pressed f3 which made the build points 99999 (that is not ok!) and here comes the bug, after the vote has been made I couldn't enter my password for admin status to reset tuning. Hope you understood me.

Regarding question 1:

Try to add that stuff to the config:

sv_register 1
sv_max_clients 16

If you like more then 16 players you MUST change the masterservers as described in this thread (otherwise you would get banned).... but if you change the master-server you would just get visitors that even did this step at their client manually. So until next release I think it's better to keep it at 16 player max.

Regarding question 2:
A classic regarding the "wrong password" stuff is that you did not enter your password between quotes "" and made a space after your PW. Sou you enter it - get wrong password... disconnect... doublecheck in the config to get sure (don't see the blank space for sure)... try it again and get again wrong password. That could be annoying big_smile

Greetings,
Mo(2)

I've got the new svn revision of nodes that includes an info regarding self-destructing buildings.
I like this addition (it's a good step into the right direction) but even would tell you that it's too less to really protect you against switch-destroyers:

This reactor get destroyed at least twice without any turret between touched before: look here - As you could see it's pretty impossible to destroy the reactor without "cheating" (cheating means: switch to the other team and destroy with selfdestruct or weapons"). And even worse: Nearly every time this would hurt the team that got less players anyway. Because if you got more players then the other team nobody can switch to your team for such action. So you have less players and all hands full to give your best and hurry to the hotspots... and in such a moment some is switching. Even if you can start a vote later (and most should know how good such votes sometimes work of normal CTF) it hit's you pretty hard. You have less players and a big hole afterwards. You have to leave your hotspot position and move back to "repair/protect" your super protected mainbase.

So I still recommend the addition with min-score. I've reduced to score 5 and removed the "kill" stuff so far. I think this fits better and still protect. This can happen all the time even if you play with a team that you know and trust (you are not protected against switchers).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

@Mo2: The kottizen server is not ready yet, we must wait, it will be in the future smile Aaand to tell you the truth, I rather wait then earn me a Second Ban big_smile

Question 2: Come on this is my 11-th server big_smile Think I'd make that mistake? Well mb it was temporary, but I rechecked and it's ok now, everything in the cfg is spotless smile

Can't wait for the special master for nodes only, the clients shouldn't really mix up, very kind of kottizen ^^

68 (edited by Franchan 2011-03-25 23:41:55)

I've just started playing nodes and i wasn't part of beta testing so sorry if this ideas have been brought up before.
I find team building damage really annoying and useless (what is it for) (actually i use it to restart the game when it gets boring and too campy)

It makes the game boring when you are able to get all of your teammates to run in with shotguns first thing and just sitting in the middle of the buildings and shooting at them then, when you die, you have a bomb handy to do extra damage.
(and how come you cant see what is in a crate? It makes getting useless hearts,emp,or freeze really annoying)

69 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-26 00:42:43)

Hip-Hop_BLOND wrote:

Aaand to tell you the truth, I rather wait then earn me a Second Ban big_smile

I've made a (currently still beta) map that can hold more then 16 players without every tee is hooking on the other one but even reduced the max_player limit to 16 right now.

The ban would be with a good reason because you can crash normal TW-players with your server afterwards. I had already more then 16 players on my server and was informed by heinrich5991 (DDRace developer) afterwards regarding that issue. Currently there are not too less Nodes-Servers. The servers that are currently online seems all to be well connected (from europe).

In my opion Nodes currently needs:
*) More players!! (btw. even if I would find it cool to host more then 16 players if we fully switch to kottizens 32-client server lesser would see that new stuff in the server-list - so advertising in serverlist would be lower)
*) More bugfixes (look at old 0.5.2 "C"-DDRace server versions...they are pretty stable and got protection against such multi-IP-voting-crap, ...)
*) More cheatfixes (self-destruction-protection that works even in hot moments but don't bother fair players. Info is good but too less)
*) Servers that are placed in Asia, Afrika, US ... (not for me... I would not need it for myself - but I even played CTF on russian servers). Nodes is less ping-critical then CTF/DM (you can have a lot of fun with just building stuff) but imho more ping-critical then DDRace - because building is just one part of the game (so you have to "fallback" to normal DM/CTF-like gameplay).
*) Maps that was balanced and bugfixed:
nds_sunlitForest got tiling bugs (near blue reactor) - the blue reactor is placed bad and it's more easy to play red (but even with that bad points many seems to already like it so it's at a good start-position) - supremacy got FPS problems even it looks good (I would not switch all the time between high and low detail just because of one map). Hill and nodes1 are too much identical and are just "ctf5-clones"... one clone should be enough. Facility looks good at first but is pretty confusing if you play... which tiles are backround and which are solid (I would recommend to rework at least the background - it remember me on some city maps).

Optional:
*) Possibility to play normal TW with Nodes-Client: I did not read the source of the client so far. But if there is no good reason to filter for "NODES" I would recommend to take it out and give the possibility to make the client a one fit for (mostly) all. Probably we can make a fine installer (InnoSetup for example would be easy) and push Nodes-Clients as a standard afterwards. At least I would recommend to filter for "NODES*" so even testing or modified versions could be tested or run and even be found by (currently rare) nodes-players. After I put the "min-score-for-selfdestruction" into my svn-checkout-source I thought about calling my gametype different (Nodes+ or whatever - to show others that it's a hacked version). But it does not make sense if I get just myself as player afterwards. On the the other side I've already made too much experience with such team-building-killers in a few days to take ot out without protest (currently it's well working).
*) Better scoring for "engineers". Even if you help your team a lot because you are defending and keeping your stuff alive you would not get any note in the score-list regarding that. Remembering to such games as "TFC" as engineer you could even be in the top of the scorelist if you built a well placed evil sentry-gun that took down many enemies. Nobody notices regarding such stuff in nodes. So you can help your team to win but the scorelist give you some minus-points because of some bad self-kills. And on the other side I found some positions where I can respawn quickly and kill one enemy after another (and die lot of times in between) and run on top of the score fast. Nodes is a team-game. So I don't really need a scorelist at all. But if there is a scorelist it should be at least a little bit more fair to all your team-members. One that is just on a self-destructing mission and hurries to the enemies again, and again and again as long one building falls would get a good score but the guy that is keeping your reactor alive is a looser in the scorelist.

Btw. I would thank all guys that developed Nodes so far. Even it's buggy and somewhat unbalanced it already makes a lot of fun.  smile

Greetings,
Mo(2)

OMG guys i have bad news in 2 mounts i ggona get new pc with widows 7 62bits teeworlds play in windows 7 62bits???

If you want a perfect map for your own server you can PM me to make you one ^^

Please also try play nodes you may download it here!. And as always.Have a nice day

71 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-26 09:46:05)

dremy wrote:

i ggona get new pc with widows 7 62bits

Cool. A brand new OS called widows that uses just 62bit? If you can get SDL gcc and python for it you have maybe luck. TW is open source so try to compile yourself on it.

Serious: You should not have troubles to run 32bit TW on your 64bit windows wink - It's more important that you get a PC that includes a useable graphic-card.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

62 bit - such an epic quote tongue

73 (edited by Dune 2011-03-26 11:44:56)

Hip-Hop_BLOND wrote:

1 Question:

Is it normal to not be able to see your server in the server browser unless you add it to favourites?

You cannot see your own server into the Internet tab, this is also true with the pure versions of Teeworlds.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Dune wrote:
Hip-Hop_BLOND wrote:

1 Question:

You cannot see your own server into the Internet tab, this is also true with the pure versions of Teeworlds.

Only withsome routers, with others it can work.

75 (edited by Mo2 2011-12-30 04:09:42)

Cause I get asked if I would share my mod of nodes (called "NODES-VT") here it is:

Deleted ... (was included in Version 1.0.3 to Nodes)

Greetings,
Mo(2)