Topic: Team Death Match

So I'm sure this is not something new to teeworlds players but TDM seriously lacks competitive play and you will have a hard time finding a server with players on it and if you do it is typically 1v1. I was curious why many players don't like TDM and more importantly I think it would be a good idea to post some suggestions to make the game better. Is it a problem with the maps, or maybe with the scoring? It seems to me that TDM really doesn't have much teamplay in it.

Re: Team Death Match

HMMM they need to make it to where in TDM way bigger maps, i need time to think with my team, i like tactical maps witch someone should make and post here? smile
they don't like it probably because of (why i dont play alot) small maps, RIGHT next to each other! i need some time to think if im playing a TDM game, especially if ppl are on
my team, enough time to type, make a strategy, etc

I like TDM the best in COD smile

But it doesn't seem to hit it in teeworlds. Maybe it is because there are a lot of spawnkills.. what about dynamic spawns that spawn you on the other side where there are no enemies? 

I'm not sure what makes it not so good. I like CTF though.

+1 to nuby

CTF just appeals to more people. It's part of every community, a lot of people like one thing, and the other thing which has potential to be fun is left in the dust.

Also, maybe the reason CTF is more "shiny" is that it involves more strategy than TDM.

USA pride. What now.

And you have to move more!

6 (edited by Bee 2011-02-19 22:33:04)

I'd say it's too much like CTF and DM. Like with mods, successful mods are outstanding mods. TDM is a mix between both CTF and DM so that's why most people don't play it much. I personally like CTF the best because it's more complex than both TDM or DM (like motioned before). Or I play DM because I feel like just killing people. So in no instance I want team up with other players to only kill people. There has to be a better reason, like capturing a flag. wink

If TDM was strategically different, like I dunno… similar to survival, I'd play it more. Each time someone dies, they don’t come back. Or each time a player on a team kill an enemy team player, they get to revive one of their own killed members. Whichever team last standing is the winner… The acronym might have to change but the gametype itself is pretty boring so that’s not much of a loss. Come to think of it, a new teaming up gametype could mean multiple teams, like 3 or 4. Now that would be interesting. o.o

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

I'd prefer sth like WoW's Arathi Basin:
# Each side has up to 6 players.
# There are three (or five) Resource Nodes on the map
# A node only earns resources when it is captured (stay a certain amount of seconds near the flag). With the exception of possible strategic value, there is no difference between the nodes.
# The rate of resource accumulation increases non-linearly as more nodes are captured. That is, if a side owns 2 nodes, it will not accumulate resources 2x as fast as when it only has 1 node.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

So wait, does the player have the ability to carry only the nodes or nodes and flag? Or only flag? :\ I'm not quite sure what you are depicting.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

9 (edited by Theolol 2011-02-20 17:06:38)

@ Landil
There is already such a TW-mod isn't it?
Called "Domination" or something like that.
I've to look up its name but maybe it can be used as a model for a fixed "orginal" one. ;-)
Greetings
Theo

// Edit: Link: Domination-Mod

Maybe SUR should become official wink

(S&D would be too complicated)

One problem with public TDM is idle players.
Enemies drag them down which gives -1 point to the idle player's team.

12 (edited by a' 2011-05-07 18:47:32)

The main reason why TDM is uninteresting in Teeworlds is the lack of any really strong pickups, be it weapons, powerups or health/armour. Without those, there is nothing like mapcontrol, and without mapcontrol, TDM is nothing more than a fragfest without any real strategy. Of course you need fitting maps, too.

To get an idea how TDM is like in Quake, where it's even more popular than CTF (as far as Europe is concerned), check out this guide for example.

Anyway, that's why I made this mod with a friend once upon a time. Sadly, there is no up-to-date version of it currently, so I can only post the link as a contribution to this discussion.

The above post sums it up really - but the problem is

1) current TDM is crap, so nobody plays it
2) because nobody plays TDM, no suggestions on improvement are made
3) because no suggestions are made, TDM can't be improved
4) because TDM can't be improved, it's crap - back to point 1 again.

We can totally change this, but it requires
1) a decent map to get started, current ones don't work on larger games. The reworked katana should be used to give a little bit of map control feel, with current stuff we can't get anywhere near Quake's amount of tacticality but it's a start.
2) the playerbase to have a will to learn a new gametype that requires a very different mindset than CTF.

Failuree @ Quakenet

14 (edited by Marik 2011-05-08 18:45:26)

Well what about making a simple thing like change the respawn time of the weapons for all gametypes.

Like Laser highest respawn time
then grenade
and then shotgun.

dunno if their is a difference in health/armor respawn and weapon respawn times

but maybe make armor respawntime higher than health  too ?

It´s like adding a little bit more value to all items and their ammo. Maybe this will decrease the often occuring spamfest too.

Marik wrote:

then grenade
and then grenade.

epicness

Stay wild big_smile

Marik wrote:

then grenade
and then grenade.

Oh Marik :3, you so crazy

Ex-King of Teeworlds

William Tee Riker wrote:

One problem with public TDM is idle players.
Enemies drag them down which gives -1 point to the idle player's team.

You can kill them as well.

I would say the problem with TDM is that there is actually no TDM map, only DM ones. At the moment, TDM looks much more like somewhere you can do DM clanwars - that's uninteresting for public games.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Marik wrote:

Well what about making a simple thing like change the respawn time of the weapons for all gametypes.

Like Laser highest respawn time
then grenade
and then shotgun.

dunno if their is a difference in health/armor respawn and weapon respawn times

but maybe make armor respawntime higher than health  too ?

It´s like adding a little bit more value to all items and their ammo. Maybe this will decrease the often occuring spamfest too.

KISS-wise all weapons should have the same respawn time, but it could be indeed a tad higher. Instead of different respawn times there should be different amounts of weapons and different risks for taking them. Ie. on a 4v4 map you can put shotguns on multiple easily accessible locations, but have only 1-2 rails and put them in hard-to-defend places that are a bit out of the way. A good example of this is dm2.

Actually, dm2 has many qualities of what would be a good TDM map in my opinion, and if I wasn't so busy with schoolwork I'd learn using the mapeditor just to rework it a bit. The upper side is stronger as it has positional advantage, laser and the now hopefully deadly katana, but it hasn't got much resources apart from a few weapons and some health. This means you must also visit the lower, weaker side to get some armor and more weapons. On the lower side you can stack up on armor and weapons to push towards the laser (a fairly easy steal as it's out of the way) and katana.

What could be made differently is the katana room (too easy to spam-defend as there are only 2 narrowish exits) and general movement and flow. Maybe more stuff would come up with playtesting, but that would require decent people willing to play totally new stuff instead of endless ctf2. And that is very unlikely, if the community is still anywhere close to how it was in my active days.

Failuree @ Quakenet

Well, usually there are already quite few rails on every map. It's just that in many situations, the rail is not the best weapon to use, so it's just not desirable enough. If you limit all weapons, too many players have the pistol (and the sound is killing your ears). If you limit SG or GL, it will just result in a spamfest of the other one. I think it's quite hard to come up with a good solution here.

I don't think we should be talking about maps right now because even a' said, tdm is much like a fragfest. Changing the maps doesn't change to core concept of TDM. I think figuring out how to make dm competitive without making it complicated would be a way to do it.
I personally don't know how but one idea I had was having TDM have longer respawn rates and when one whole teams side is waiting to be respawned, one side wins.

Of course this would seem to be only a good idea for competitive players as it is harder for new players to catch prey so it probably is unsuitable for official gametype.

Also, finding a way to change gametype first before the maps may allow the ctf community and its mappers to improve their maps first.

21 (edited by maplebeats 2011-05-25 03:21:45)

We play TDM with 3v3 (or 4v4).When the map is small,it's very interesting.we need rob items and save our ammo.Although we are always killed quickly,when you 1V2 even 1V3.The feeling  is so cool.

What if we just had something where after x amount of deaths (note I said deaths and not kills) you are sent off and the objective would be the last team with a member wins? There would be an initial phase where it plays almost identically to current TDM but weaker players will eventually start to get sent off and the teams would have to react to losing their teammates. In the second phase it will start to come down to stronger players eventually getting down to a single tee on a team running for its life.

Nilaya wrote:

What if we just had something where after x amount of deaths (note I said deaths and not kills) you are sent off and the objective would be the last team with a member wins? There would be an initial phase where it plays almost identically to current TDM but weaker players will eventually start to get sent off and the teams would have to react to losing their teammates. In the second phase it will start to come down to stronger players eventually getting down to a single tee on a team running for its life.

This looks like a pretty nice idea, but you mustn't forget that there is not much interest in fighting then. Better to hide the longer possible. I think it needs to be played on short maps (e.g. dm1 or dm8 with 4 players) do be viable. I remember of some kind of last stand alive hammerstagib played on ctf2 for cap games, and the thing is that people don't wanna fight.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

What nilaya said is pretty much SUR with lives

One thing i don't understand is how come tdm is popular in COD but not Teeworlds. People like ctf in teeworlds because of the movement but what is tdm supposed to be in teeworlds?

Maybe it would better when it is like conquest in battlefield and you capture a base and have to defend it. Then you can spawn there and capture new bases with your team.
I know its more a new gametype but it could be nice too.
I think for TDM we need new maps only for TDM.