Re: [GAME] Teeworlds on Android

Well i guess you guys heard about the ouya, its based on android. I really want teeworlds running on it, so could one of the programming gods here modify it. So it can support the ouya controller.... Would be more than awesome pls pls

Here you should find all necessary ---> http://www.ouya.tv/develop/

27 (edited by pelya 2013-06-25 13:10:45)

You can install .apk file to Ouya directly, it supports gamepad just fine. I've tried to publish another game to Ouya store, but it did not meet their guidelines, so I gave up, because I don't have Ouya.
If you want it in Ouya store - publish it yourself, you don't even need to recompile it - just upload existing .apk file, they'll send you a list of issues with their guidelines, only then you'll have to compile it. I guess the fixes will be as trivial as changing keycodes in AndroidAppSettings.cfg.

Pelya, thx you a lot!!1

I've been playing it on the Ouya with great success EXCEPT the JUMP controls are very hard to do. Would be awesome if they could move the JUMP off of the Dpad and onto a button.

You only need 4 buttons
Jump
Shoot
Chain
Switch Weapon

30 (edited by 2013-11-01 14:54:10)

I've redesigned screen controls a bit, what do you think about them?
You can jump now by tilting your phone, yes that sounds lame, but works better than constantly rubbing left joystick.
Physical gamepad now has separate button for jumping.

I would like to have a bit of discussion about it, because everyone tells me it's bad (yes I know that), but no one have suggested how to make it good.

Previous controls:
Tap left joystick, the hook is always launches after the tap, the aim is controlled by left joystick.
It was difficult to aim the hook with precision, because you generally don't see where you are tapping.
It was impossible to un-hook and move at the same time, so you could not hook the edge of the ledge and jump on it.

New controls:
Tap left joystick to hook, tap again to unhook. The aim is controlled by the right joystick, so you always see where are you aiming.
All weapons are now shoot when you release finger from right joystick, to make it possible to aim with hook.
It's now possible to hook, gain speed, unhook and keep moving, and it's possible to jump to the ledge from below,
but keeping yourself in an air is more difficult, because you need two taps to unhook and hook again.

I've got complaints that the new controls do not work, I assume it's because you now need two taps to un-hook and hook again.
Maybe it's better to move back to single tap, what do you think?

31 (edited by Broken 2013-11-01 20:34:07)

pelya, check out how the iOS app dinosmash handles the controls, extremely playable. fire and hook is two separate buttons, and two d-pads, one for moving, one for aiming.

32 (edited by KChris 2017-08-13 00:09:34)

-deleted-

Lazy dev

This will be really brilliant if the bugs will be fixed.

My in-game nick: Gumby

When i open the game it goes black screen, why is that and can it be fixed ? i got a LG mobile

It Woudl be Amazing if somebody can Code a App for the AppStore iOS Wehre u can make teeworlds Maps. And maby Play.. But Mapping is more Important smile
I Hope somebody can do this

#yemDX is a known troll!
but onbgy is the biggest troll
and deen always trolls, he just makes it so perfect that u think hes not

36 (edited by pelya 2013-12-04 02:11:57)

@Broken thanks, that's the first constructive feedback I've got this year.
However, I'm not seeing two joysticks, there's only one combined joystick for both aiming and moving, that won't work in TeeWorlds, because you cannot move backwards:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pKqfDhCtNQ

I've updated controls once again - now the hook is always launched when you tap the left joystick, you have to release the joystick to unhook. This is more logical, and much more comfortable to navigating the level ceiling, but some tricks like jumping to the ledge from below are now more difficult.

OUYA port isn't happening any time soon, because it needs too many little details to handle, and because I'm disappointed in the platform overall.

iOS port also isn't happening, because I don't develop for iOS.

BTW is there any way to enable notifications via email on this forum?

Is it at all possible to have native gamepad support? If not it would be wonderful if we could toggle the on-screen controls off because my Sixaxis Controller app allows keyboard emulation big_smile

Gamepad should be supported, I've tested it with PS3 gamepad plugged via USB.

It's still not playable at all on android. The hook and jump seems completely random and once you pull up the home bar, the game is all off-kilter.

Would be cool if this could be made playable. I suggest left d-pad is moving, up will jump. Right d-pad is hooking. Then buttons for fire and weapon change.

40 (edited by pelya 2014-03-02 22:54:13)

Seems like I'll have to introduce a third on-screen joystick for shooting, instead of a shoot button, because how otherwise will you aim while shooting?
Jumping then can be moved to left joystick tap, because it's much more natural and precise gesture than swiping or "up-for-jump".
There is already a button for changing weapons.

Why don't phones have 4 gamepad shoulder buttons? Why don't humans have 4 thumbs? Even 3 thumbs would have solved the touchscreen controls.

I've updated Android port, now it has three on-screen joysticks, as Broken suggested.
Well, the controls are now much simpler, but you'd better grow a third thumb, or learn to hold your phone ninja-style.
This is the fourth time I'm redoing those controls, if anyone is counting.
Joysticks may be too big for tablets, maybe I'll fix that somewhere in future.

41 (edited by Neox 2014-04-20 02:54:31)

Hi pelya,

My pc being broken, I use your client... on my android.

Firstly I would like to know if you share sources (if you share, it's great !)

Then I found a crashbug ; sending smilies (that are directly done in the mobile... dunno how can I explain it) crashes the client (i've sent a lot in one sentence)

A bug ; you can't fully delete the mod filter (need to delete game datas...) so you can't keep it empty if you type something in.

Going to an other page, or simply that the client isnt the foccused apk, like when you are calling someone and you just pass your hand over your mobile (that makes your screen being black) makes the client refreshing/disconnecting from the current server (if you don't re-focus quickly). Very boring bug.

Jumping is horrible. It makes me jumping while I just wanna walk hmm

Being the admin of some servers, I have to go to the rcon... I found a way to go in, but typing in it is impossible. Maybe just add a new button (that is removable from the SDL menu) that allows you opening the "F1" or "F2".

Make like you can still see the chat while you are typing.

Add some extra buttons that are removable, that we can edit for anything we want (I mean that we could bind something for it).

I think that's all I wanted to say tongue

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Hi. Here are sources for Android version:
https://github.com/pelya/commandergeniu … teeworlds/
https://github.com/pelya/teeworlds

You can have two additional on-screen buttons - click "Change device config" during game start, go to "On-screen keyboard" - "Remap",  enable all buttons, do not change keycodes for the first 4 buttons, but you can change them for "Jump" and "Fire" buttons to F1 and F2. You can also customize buttons placement in this dialog.

I think I'll redo controls once again, with one setting as suggested in this thread: https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=11175 and with another setting, which uses gyroscope for movement.

I'll also fix few of the bugs you mentioned, next release will probably be in two or three weeks.

Update! Four touchscreen control modes, configurable in settings, so you can pick your poison now. Comments are welcome, I'll keep refining controls, if that's possible.
You can start local server from inside the game, but there are no bots yet, because no one published any sources for Teeworlds bot. So much stigma.

Hey Pelya, would it be possible to get the same controls as the version of Teeworlds for the Blackberry Tablet? I don't seem to be able to get it the same.

Yes it's possbile, if you describe those controls to me in detail, and ideally make a photo or video of your hands while you play it on your Blackberry.

I noticed that the android app has trouble downloading large maps. It just stops at 0/480KiB (or anything that's in the triple digits). I remember this wasn't a problem before, but now I can only download small maps.
The data installation location is on the SD card, which has plenty of space.
I don't know if this is an issue with the app or my device.

A is for Apple.

I also encountered this, I'll check why big map downloading is not working.

pelya wrote:

I also encountered this, I'll check why big map downloading is not working.

It might be due to the fast download extension that servers with big maps are usually using (you could look into the DDNet source code for that).

49 (edited by deen 2015-08-16 23:42:39)

There's also a port of DDNet client to Android, based on the work of pelya: http://ddnet.tw/downloads

I'd appreciate if someone else wants to maintain that since I don't use it and don't even have an Android device, we have a few open Android issues (bugs, getting into the app store): https://github.com/def-/ddnet/issues

I've implemented the same controls as in DDNet client, they can be selected in game settings.
What other features does it have? (except for map editor, I won't be implementing that)