1 (edited by peoro 2008-02-15 23:31:28)

Topic: [MOD] Mutant Mod

Hello...
I've written a new mod for Teewars 0.3.4, the Mutant Mod.
In this mod a player (the black one) is the Mutant, he brings a permanent ninja sword, loses armor over time and gains two health points every time he kills a hunter.
The other players (the white ones) are the hunters. If one of them kills the Mutant, he becomes the mutant himself.
I'm hosting it on an Italian server named "Mutant MOD" (it looks like a DM server actually, since I think I can't add a mod-tag without breaking the network protocol).

Now, my biggest doubt is about the license.
I'd like to release it under an open source license (GPL?) but I figured out I cannot. Can I release it at all?
My suggestion for the authors would be to keep the engine under the license they prefer, but to release the files needed to write a mod under a free (open source) license, so to improve third-party development without having "several diffrent versions floating around the net with their own little features etc".

Dio Bastardo!

Re: [MOD] Mutant Mod

afaik you are atm allowed to modify, compile and run locally as long as you dont redistribute the new version, 0.4 will have a much more liberal license though.

What I think should be legal would be putting up a how-to edit a server to do this or alike, or just talking to matricks smile

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

3 (edited by peoro 2008-02-16 01:25:15)

On request, I started another server ("Mutant MOD [6x]") on the same machine, for max 6 players (a 12 players match it's really a mess)...

To write a mod (well, it's not really a mod) is really easy. You just need to get the sources, extend the gameobject class (in src/game/server/ look at gs_game_ctf, gs_game_dm, gs_game_tdm, you just need to create something like that) and integrate it with the common code (open src/game/server/gs_game.cpp, src/game/g_protocol.h, src/game/server/gs_server.cpp and add what you need to add). I don't think I can be more precise about these step, they're so much related to what your mod wants to be, but if you have some specific question feel free to ask smile
There are a few hacks you should follow to make it work:
* the GAMETYPE (look in src/game/g_protocol.h) of your mod has to equal GAMETYPE_DM, GAMETYPE_TDM or GAMETYPE_CTF, else the client won't show the modded server.
* the md5 of the modded code will of course be different from the original code's md5, so after running `bam` for the first time, open src/game/generated/nethash.c and put the original md5 ("e2d7973c6647a13c") in there, otherwise original clients will complain about the version of the server being different from theirs.

That should be all. Compile your modified copy of teewars and run the server.

Dio Bastardo!

4 (edited by lazy_bum 2008-02-17 21:19:33)

Nice stuff, "me like".

peoro wrote:

The other players (the white ones) are the hunters. If one of them kills the Mutant, he becomes the mutant himself.

Don't know if the white ones are "hunters" or rather "preys". <:

peoro wrote:

* the md5 of the modded code will of course be different from the original code's md5, so after running `bam` for the first time, open src/game/generated/nethash.c and put the original md5 ("e2d7973c6647a13c") in there, otherwise original clients will complain about the version of the server being different from theirs....

This is dangerous. You should never ever change the hash manually. If you changed something that changes the md5 sum, you have changed the protocol and then it shouldn't be used with other clients and servers that doesn't conform.

i played on a mutant server yesterday and it's real fun to do it. Maybe one can implement this as another gametype?

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

matricks wrote:

This is dangerous. You should never ever change the hash manually. If you changed something that changes the md5 sum, you have changed the protocol and then it shouldn't be used with other clients and servers that doesn't conform.

Hum, yes? I thought that hash was generated with every single source file, not only for protocol-related stuff, but well, it makes much more sense now.
I only added GAMETYPE_MUT in protocol.h, it didn't change the protocol since I assigned it the value of GAMETYPE_MD, but well, then it's better to use GAMETYPE_MD directly and leave protocol.h alone.

Dio Bastardo!

It's much smarter then that. It only hashes the network important files, but, it strips them from spaces and comments before doing so. Adjusting spaces and comments has no effect on the nethash value.

I hope that this could be legally added to version 0.4 (with new license). As Landil wrote - this is real fun, I think it needs 4-6 players (depends on skill). Maybe even official support? (:

I am all for making this an official gamemode. It´s nice, simple and elegant, just like a gamemode should be.

It would need to get a more standardized name though I think. Mutant isn´t really as recognizable as dm or ctf. What is this type of gamemode called in other games?

11 (edited by peoro 2008-02-19 19:39:31)

I'm glad you guys like it smile

Yeah, the name stinks, I was going to rename it "The Black Ninja" (TBL sounded good) before setting up the server, but then the laziness went to me... Probably I'll rename it when I'll release the patch for version 0.4.0, so let me know if you can find of a better name.

Dio Bastardo!

@Dreamy, Hunter I think it's called.

Very fun mod btw big_smile

Used to be very active waay back

Dreamy wrote:

I am all for making this an official gamemode. It´s nice, simple and elegant, just like a gamemode should be.

It would need to get a more standardized name though I think. Mutant isn´t really as recognizable as dm or ctf. What is this type of gamemode called in other games?

What about "Teenage Mutant Ninja Tees" xD

ima charhgin ma lazerz!!1
SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!!!!11

how about the opposite gametype, its you against a mob of ninja's where the ninja's cant collect armor/health and the one non ninja has regenerative health/armor and has to kill the others.

Dreamy wrote:

At least in the UT200x series, this IS Mutant wink

How about Ronin Mod (RM) or Black Knight Mod (BKM)?

Or stay with Mutant Mod, the name is good. Well, maybe more like... Muteent Mod? (;

I like it!!!!
Mutant MOD [6x] Server best ever!

Sorry for my english; typical germans ;-)

I'm just back from Mutant server, omg this gamemode rocks, really fun yikes
Need more servers smile

aka oop²

19 (edited by nikoPSK 2008-02-21 07:09:51)

Yay! That's pretty great. big_smile

EDIT: Just there, it was lonely. How is a mod made?

No, that is not me; it's just a figment of your imagination.

Replaced the 12 slots server with an 8 slots one smile

Dio Bastardo!

wowowowowowow smile

aka oop²

22 (edited by clasic_traveller_diehard 2008-02-21 22:28:01)

so any regular client can play this only the server is modified. right?
(I CAN'T WAIT TILL I GET HOME ! big_smile:D:D)
EDIT: also dose the server change the mutant players skin or just tints them black?

my name is NOT clasic_traveller_die its CLASIC_TRAVELLER_DIEHARD classic traveller is a si-fi rpg from the same era as dungens and dragons lookit up on wikipedia smile

clasic_traveller_diehard wrote:

so any regular client can play this only the server is modified. right?
(I CAN'T WAIT TILL I GET HOME ! big_smile:D:D)
EDIT: also dose the server change the mutant players skin or just tints them black?

Yes, any regular client can play it.
It only changes the color (of the body only, I chose to leave the feet color alone), but I could of course change it, if you've something in mind let me know smile

Dio Bastardo!

a team death match that would make the players assume pirate team or ninja team skins
see http://www.teewars.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=448

my name is NOT clasic_traveller_die its CLASIC_TRAVELLER_DIEHARD classic traveller is a si-fi rpg from the same era as dungens and dragons lookit up on wikipedia smile

25 (edited by JB4 2008-02-22 06:21:26)

hey, I was actually thinking about learning to mod the server things, but if you could help me out my getting me started in the general direction (what files i edit for what settings) that would be great! If you can't I understand. You can just email it to my email address. JB4JB4JB4JB4@gmail.com

and wheres the PM system...

<JB4> hehe <3 matricks (not in a gay way though) <matricks> awww sad <JB4> thats wrong I'm friggen 15... <matricks> thats legal here in sweden big_smile