Topic: Teewars on FreeBSD

Hi!

I want to report success in compiling and running Teewars on FreeBSD.
I had to do some changes, but it seems to be quite playable after all.

First of all, your homebrew build system is somewhat confusing. It'd be better if you used cmake, but patching default.bam is not a problem for FreeBSD ports system. I switched off building some stuff under external/, as Zlib is bundled with FreeBSD and portaudio won't compile (cause it seems that you tweaked bundled portaudio to use ALSA, which is unavailable on FreeBSD). glfw and wavpack exist in FreeBSD ports, but I guess it'd be better to use bundled ones to not create additional dependences. Also I had to add paths to includes and libs, and after that it compiled successfully.

As of now, it is playable (I can connect to internet servers and play), but there's no sound (I guess there are still some ALSA-only patterns in portaudio usage?). Also on my WM (ion-3) it behaved strangely on the first run: it changed screen resolution from 1280x1024 to (not sure) 800x600, but didn't go fullscreen. Also, in windowed mode it doesn't hide X11 mouse cursor (so there are both game and X11 cursors on screen). But now it runs normally in fullscreen/1280x1024 mode.

Now I need to make bam use c and c++ compilers that I want it to, as well as CFLAGS/CXXFLAGS (as FreeBSD ports are required to respect systemwide compiler settings) and make it installable systemwide (or did I miss something and bam supports installation?).

Btw, I guess I'll have to add bam as separate port required to build teewars, so it would be the best if you used version in bam's tarball, i.e. bam-0.1.zip instead of bam.zip, as FreeBSD uses checksumming to verify distfiles integrity, and wouldn't build/install bam port if bam.zip is silently changed.

Feel free to ask for any testing/additional feedback. Really nice game, thanks smile

Re: Teewars on FreeBSD

Glad to hear... matricks actually runs the server on FreeBSD so atleast that part is tested. You can patch PortAudio to use the backend you want under *BSD (if PA supports it). Would be good to have.

Languages shapes the way we think, or don't.

I've just submitted the port. It respects CC/CXX/CCFLAGS/CXXFLAGS, it installs systemwide and the sound works.
Still including version number into bam.zip would be good.

We will do a release of bam at some point

Languages shapes the way we think, or don't.