1 (edited by Greo 2008-02-14 00:05:57)

Topic: Weapon Balancing

It seems that the weapons are unbalanced in strength based on how they are obtained. The hammer can easily get a person 2-3 kills per spawn when used in junction with the chain (to latch onto enemies or to quickly get to an enemy), and the handgun seems useless since it does 1 damage per shot. The Shotgun and Missile launcher could also be a bit stronger too, they feel a bit weak for being a weapon that you can't always have. The sword though seems the most balanced, although i think it shouldn't hit so many enemies at once (killing 5 players with one swing!).

In short,

Hammer is too strong for being a starting weapon
Handgun is too weak compared to all other weapons
Shotgun and Missiles could be stronger.
Ninja Sword shouldn't be able to kill so many targets with one swing, but I don't mind it as is.

Edit: You could just have it so the handgun has unlimited ammo, but less fire rate too.

2 (edited by ShootMe 2008-02-14 00:18:41)

Re: Weapon Balancing

I agree with only one of your statements, which is the hammer.
I believe the hammer should be reduced in damage by 1 point per hit as playing for quite some time now it is only slightly over powered.
Handgun is perfect as is. You can do a quick amount of damage to someone nearby with it and finish them off, very useful for people who know how to use the gun.
Shotgun is balanced nicely.
Nade launcher may be slightly too strong in my opionion, I think it should also be reduced by 1 point per hit.
Ninja sword is fine as is.

Overall the devs have done a great job balancing the weps.

hammer: think it's balanced
handgun: Slightly underpowered weapon, needs an increase of ammunition
shotgun: easy to learn, hard to master, but an increase in range is needed
rocket launcher: if there are a lot of players it's overpowered (CTF1 with 12 players)
ninja: Perfectly balanced, but it would be nice to allow weapon switching while ninja

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

4 (edited by KRD 2008-02-14 02:33:25)

In conclusion, it's not the weapons that need balancing. It's the 12 people servers that run small maps like dm1 and ctf1.

big_smile

I find all well balanced

Hammer seems balanced as it is too me. Hard to use but powerful in the right situations. I don´t agree that starting weapons should be less good than the other weapons. If all weapons have different uses, which they have, there is still be reason to want them all.

Sure, pistol could use a slight improvement, but it doesn´t need much. It´s already useful.

I don´t think it´s range the shotgun needs, it´s slightly higher bullet speed - and I think it´s already half-planned that it will get that.

Granade launcher too bad? Nah, I use it about as much as the shotgun. Too good? It used to be, when it had a longer range. I think it´s well balanced now. Reducing it´s damage would make it relatively useless, since the high damage is pretty much it´s only strength.

Atm I really like the ballancing.