Topic: [QUESTION] Why do pros often spin their weapons?

I've seen a lot of professional players spinning their weapons very fast while moving.

My two questions:
Why do they do it? (What is the advantage)
How do they do it? (yeah, I know I'm a noob big_smile)

Re: [QUESTION] Why do pros often spin their weapons?

Try reading topic named How to correctly detect an aimbot, its sticky, you can't miss it.

Drowning dwarves lately

With professional players, I mean players like from the Qi or ZPote clan. I don't think, they use an aimbot big_smile

they do it, because they can do it

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

It adds a feel.. I can't really describe it, it just makes you feel 10x better than what you actually are. Try it sometime, you'll see what I mean.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Yea, I tried it on dm1 1on1 Instagib, and it felt somehow good, but I can't say why big_smile

But I can only do it on very small maps. For instance, on ctf2, I always end up crashing into some walls big_smile

"With professional players, I mean players like from the Qi or ZPote clan. I don't think, they use an aimbot"

Thx big_smile

Back to the topic,
I see three principal point in spining :
- First, it's allow you to hook and fire in(?) some angles you won't fire otherwise.
- With the dynamic camera, even if it's require a adaptation time, you can see far in all direction.
- Third, I'll say it make people lose their concentration

(This also make people speak about spinner, and make them feel stronger cause it's quite difficult to start. big_smile)

Anyway, I think each people do it for some special reason, ask somebody which do it ^^

|ZPote| buffer[]'s posterous

buffer wrote:

Anyway, I think each people do it for some special reason, ask somebody which do it ^^

I do it too, but only in ctf2.
I can't say you why. After playing on the Qi 6on6 server, I learnt from the other, without a motivation. Btw, spinning or non spinning the speed (and the time necessary to capture a flag) is the same. The only possibility you have more is to fight better against enemy, because also if you see them in the last moment, you can aim them stopping the spin, shooting, and then re-starting to spin.
Without spin, it's not the same, for me.

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

I asked that same basic question! > http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopi … 75&p=2 <
But what I have come up with is: They just like doing it. or They do it to cover up their robotic aiming. :3

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

10 (edited by Azuma.*! 2009-11-09 19:12:01)

Like yemDx already said "You fell 10x better" and its true.
If you spining your tee get more speed, you can kill the enemys in all directions.
It's hard for a player to spin for the first time. But if you train it constantly you will get better.

Yes its true... with spinning the movement is much better than without (at least for me) and it feels a lot more smooth. Also aiming is much easier. U cover all directions without first aiming there directly. Just spinnign-->fire-->spinning. So the combination out of movement and shooting is much more smooth with spinning... at least for me oO

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

12 (edited by Var [TNB] 2009-11-10 14:24:20)

I do it not only cause of feeling myself more proish. The biggest reason to do it is simply shooting in one direction while hooking in another. I'm a big fan of races, and there you often have to make a rocketjump from one wall while hooking opposite one. It's impossible without that rotating. That's why it's very useful smile

Stay wild big_smile

And by the way, if you want to spin, don't do it like I used to do when I was a total noob, disable dyncam before trying or you're screwed and can't aim.

Failuree @ Quakenet

cl015 wrote:

How do they do it? (yeah, I know I'm a noob big_smile)

I am also interested in the answer to this question.

I was trying to spin with dyncam and it was terrible. I has not seen anything.
Sometimes, during playing I notice that I'm using spinning in some moves because, in that moment this is the best way to get to somewhere, but I don't remember that cam was shaking like in my tests with spinning.

When you spinning, on what distance from tee you keep gun sight? That is the question.

Also, what mouse speed you are using when playing with spinning? For example, in Windows and in game I has set the mouse speed on max when my mouse (A4Thech X7) has 2000dpi.
The faster mouse speed allow me to move much faster, but at the same time appear the problem with hitting smile

Maybe, someone, who use a spinning, can post here gameplay video where we'll can see gun sight and his speed? It will be the best variant for explaining the subject of topic.

15 (edited by Azuma.*! 2009-11-13 13:40:25)

ghithor wrote:

I was trying to spin with dyncam and it was terrible. I has not seen anything.

Don't use dyncam if u want to spin!

ghithor wrote:

Maybe, someone, who use a spinning, can post here gameplay video where we'll can see gun sight and his speed?

Just look Ubuntu's Teeworlds Movie see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knr-5ZCy … re=channel smile

Azuma.*! wrote:

Don't use dyncam if u want to spin!

Okay, thx smile But whether it:

buffer wrote:

- With the dynamic camera, even if it's require a adaptation time, you can see far in all direction.

that pro players playing with dyncam on?

Azuma.*! wrote:

Just look Ubuntu's Teeworlds Movie see here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knr-5ZCy … re=channel smile

It is pity but this video (awesome video smile) is not for us in this case because we can not see guns sight and its moving. It's like a starcraft replay: you can see what a player doing, but  you can't see how he doing that.

ghithor wrote:

that pro players playing with dyncam on?.

No, "pro" players don't play with dyncam on or they don't spin. Dynamic cam is an heresy at high-level anyway. It's useless because you can predict most of what's outside your camera, and it has several drawbacks.

ghithor wrote:

It is pity but this video (awesome video smile) is not for us in this case because we can not see guns sight and its moving. It's like a starcraft replay: you can see what a player doing, but  you can't see how he doing that.

Simple. Disable dynamic camera. Increase mouse sensitivity that you can make a full circle with your mouse in less than half a second (the reload time for the shotgun) and with the cursor the furthest away from your tee. Start playing like that, practicing till you get it. Start considering your hook as a wheel and roll around.

Good moves require hooking the up and down whether you're spinning or not. Spinning is just a smoother and more regular / systematic way to move, it's not required to be at the "highest" level. It has little to do with aiming, and more to do with moving, hiding your intent and warming up your wrist :>.

I'd like to add that I don't get what the fuss is about spinning these days. It's something fun that was started by some members of ThePuMa one year and a half ago and that's been passed down as a tradition in the high-level CTF scene, but it's not something that should hamper your movement. I see more and more spinners that just do it badly and get stuck because of it, instead of playing THEIR way.

Moving in TW is personal and there are other very valid and original ways to move other than spinning (even at high-level), and there are no two person spinning exactly the same...

Thanks for everybody's advice! I'll try out everything smile

Magnet wrote:

Start considering your hook as a wheel and roll around.

I think, that really helps me a lot, thank you for that big_smile

Maybe if somebody else has some more advice, they can post it here wink

Magnet wrote:

No, "pro" players don't play with dyncam on or they don't spin. Dynamic cam is an heresy at high-level anyway. It's useless because you can predict most of what's outside your camera, and it has several drawbacks.

So you because you don't use it, dynamic cam is an heresy ?
Almost all ZPote use dynamic camera, even if they don't all spin, but if you want example Lord do both.

The final word could be use what you like, not what some people do. wink

20 (edited by Lanta 2009-11-13 18:11:19)

ghithor wrote:

Also, what mouse speed you are using when playing with spinning? For example, in Windows and in game I has set the mouse speed on max when my mouse (A4Thech X7) has 2000dpi.
The faster mouse speed allow me to move much faster, but at the same time appear the problem with hitting smile

I can spin with a 2000dpi mouse with a 112 sensibility into teeworlds
I changed also:
cl_mouse_deadzone 0
cl_mouse_followfactor 0
cl_mouse_max_distance 400
When u use laser, if ur mouse can, I usually change dpi on the fly to 1200.
Oh, ofc, I don't use dynamic camera. I simply can't play with it on.

buffer[] wrote:

So you because you don't use it, dynamic cam is an heresy ?
Almost all ZPote use dynamic camera, even if they don't all spin, but if you want example Lord do both.

The final word could be use what you like, not what some people do. wink

Disclaimer: I'm not dismissing your skill or being condescending. People who can't read without adding a negative connotation to each of my words should refrain from reading further smile.

Excuse me, if you read what I wrote I was talking about "pros". You think what you want, but I never saw any Zpote playing in a "high-level" CTF game, except Jo who was in a captain game once and it was a low-level captain game so... It's not an insult or high horse, you guys almost never play CTF, even if you started recently, so how could I be talking about you? We are on the Teeworlds forum, so I talk about the high-level scene in Teeworlds.

Also, maybe you would find that you're better without dynamic camera if you played the real game more often... Of course, in a point and shoot game, it may come as an advantage.

In theory, dyncam is an advantage, since it do give them longer view (there are areas on some maps where you can see when attackers are coming with dyncam, as an example), but many players, especially those with high movement speeds find that dyncam makes the game more messy, since the camera is moving too much.

Me myself, I've always played with dyncam, and have no reason playing without it. For the record, I do use spinning movement too, so it's doable with dyncam aswell.

Oh and Magnet: you're spamming negative connotations, hard to avoid reading them without ignoring the whole comment.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

So your saying just because people don't play vanilla, they don't play TeeWorlds ?

Magnet speaks, Magnet's right? I don't think so.
It's not because you play a specific way everyone should do the same.

Back to topic:
The guys you call "pros", play with or without dyncam. It depends on the player. You should try with and without and what fit you the best. smile
There is not only 1 way to play well, just find yours.

25 (edited by Lanta 2009-11-13 18:38:56)

jlou wrote:

The guys you call "pros", play with or without dyncam. It depends on the player.

I don't think so... it doesn't depends on the player. It depends on the game style.
Magnet was speaking about ctf high-level gameplay, excluding instagib and so on... and in ctf, most players uses to turn dyn cam off. And most means not all.
I don't know if in instagib it's different, because I'm not an insta skilled (like said be4, the only thing I need to play better insta is to change DPI to 1200 on the fly).
Yeah, what we have to discuss here is a thing that is different for every player, for every gametype/mod and for every gaming level. What we are discussing now it's another thing. We are flaming about the meaning of the word "pro".
Try to be more costructive and see reality in face.

Dyn Cam is an advantage because it let you see longer enemies arriving, but at the same time it's very difficult to manage expecially for movements and spin. I haven't said it's not possible, I've said it's hard.
Are you to decide to use it or not... you must value what gametype/mod are you going to play, what will be your role, if you prefer spinning or see enemies before the other. That's all.