Topic: Afteruse Delay on Hook (moar inside)

Well, as Hook has infinite "ammo" and can be spammed all over the place you just hook everything, most dont even hardly use any key movement anymore so i'd suggest what about giving hook regenerating ammo of 5 or 3 or sth? i think you'd use it more thoughtfully then

OR
Give it 1 Ammo which regenerates every 1.0/1.5 secs to stop unlimited chaining

On a second note, there should be a way to get real fast just by using keys, too like a dash move or sth (obviously not as easy to pull off as hook is)

Re: Afteruse Delay on Hook (moar inside)

Don't see many people agreeing with this; I certainly don't. The hook is just too much fun and nerfing it this badly would piss a lot of people off, I imagine. It's true that it can get overly chaotic when people are spamming with it all over the map and hooking everything in sight, but there are ways of stopping them in a battle [shotgun works wonders]. And it's not like hooking a speeding tee while keeping an eye on everything else is too easy, heh.

As for races, hooking others and colliding with them will become optional in 0.4, so that should take care of the holding back problem effectively if you should so wish.

Dash moves, on the other hand, are already possible. Sort of. They involve the use of the hook, yes, but that doesn't mean you can't do them on the ground. Quite effectively, too. It's true that the game doesn't make too much complex use of the directional keys, but that's a good thing since your mouse hand requires all the attention it can get [looking around, shooting, hook all at once]. And anyway, the developers said they'd experiment with the walking speed soon. Should be enough change for now.

I can suggest introducing a small delay (a fraction of second) while hook is retrieved after the player released mouse button.

yeah i know its fun and all but i think making it harder to use would give you a more rewarding feeling if you pull a nice run off tongue

I don't agree at all with this!

The hook is one of the things what make this game as fun as it is. (i.e. no changes to the hook)

Used to be very active waay back

Maybe instead we could try altering the hook behaviour into a similar way to how the ninja rope works in Worms Armageddon. Once you fire it, it fires all the way out, you can't just stop holding the button and fire another one if you see you missed. That would make it more challenging because the chance of losing your rhythm would be a lot higher if you misfired into thin air. If you were good enough to always hit something with it, you wouldn't notice the difference at all, though.

I think this could actually make for a very good change, now that I think about it more. We'd just have to make sure it really felt exactly the same unless you messed up.

I'm pretty unsure about my opinion here. It is true that there's rope spamming but it actually doesn't bother me.
This discussion reminds me of the translocator discussion around UT99 and UT2003. In UT99 you could do the exact same thing with the translocator as we now can do in Teewars, spam them as much as we want. In UT2003 they eased the translocator and you only had 5 ammo slowly regenerating. It completely altered gameplay.

I don't care.

I don't see the point, honestly. The hook won't do you much good unless you keep the button pressed for at least 30-60 ms, which is as long a delay as you would dare to introduce not to make it outright annoying. As for having a limited amount of "charges," it would very much destroy what I feel is the appeal of hooking; the sense of freedom and agility.

A question to those in favor; what kind of unwanted behavior would this suppress?

Teetees wrote:

I'm pretty unsure about my opinion here. It is true that there's rope spamming but it actually doesn't bother me.
This discussion reminds me of the translocator discussion around UT99 and UT2003. In UT99 you could do the exact same thing with the translocator as we now can do in Teewars, spam them as much as we want. In UT2003 they eased the translocator and you only had 5 ammo slowly regenerating. It completely altered gameplay.

I thought exactly the same thing, only I was going to say ruined gameplay rather than changed.

Vote no

I don't agree. this would destroy the whole teewars feeling.

KRD wrote:

Maybe instead we could try altering the hook behaviour into a similar way to how the ninja rope works in Worms Armageddon. Once you fire it, it fires all the way out, you can't just stop holding the button and fire another one if you see you missed. That would make it more challenging because the chance of losing your rhythm would be a lot higher if you misfired into thin air. If you were good enough to always hit something with it, you wouldn't notice the difference at all, though.

I think this could actually make for a very good change, now that I think about it more. We'd just have to make sure it really felt exactly the same unless you messed up.

You can't compare the ropesystem of worms with the ropesystem of teewars. it works complettly different. in worms is the rope very long, you nearly hit everytime something. so you don't have to aim for something.

NOOOOO! Don't listen to this guy! RU crazy?

ThePuMa Clan

Bones wrote:

You can't compare the ropesystem of worms with the ropesystem of teewars. it works complettly different. in worms is the rope very long, you nearly hit everytime something. so you don't have to aim for something.

Sure you can compare the two. On Worms, the rope is longer, but you can't manually aim it at all, everything depends on the angle at which you released your worm from it last time. Compared to Teewars, that makes it clumsier at first, but also more of a challenge and very rewarding once you've mastered it. This is what Eschen was aiming for with his suggestion, I just pointed out another, less intrusive, way of achieving it.

Hm, hook is just...amazing, don't touch it heretic!

big_smile

aka oop²