Topic: Gametype: Race

Since a few days I'm playing racemaps and am addicted wink

What about a new Gametype?

My ideas:
- turning off the enemy roping for skill only games

- changing points in time

- adding an ending zone where the player got to go to
... respawning after getting into the ending zone until a number of players reached the end

- disabling life for rocketjumping

- adding a hookgun for eyecandy wink

What do you think/What ideas do you have?

Re: Gametype: Race

Would love to able to rocketjump without losing any life, rocket arena 3 style smile

Beware of qposMarvinj wink

If race maps builders build rocket jumps passages they may also incorporate health and armor at accordingly places.
Live indefinitely, the cause too easy

^^ sry google translation wink

I don't know anything about mapmaking...
Can you provide own serversettings with the maps?

Then as a mapmaker you could turn it on or off. For longer rocketmaps it would make sense. For just some rocketparts it wouldn't.

Well, matricks have said that he wont incorporate racing in Teewars neither in 0.4 or 0.5. The new editor though will provide things that will help make better racemaps (unhookable tiles and such), I think focusing on the race mod is the best bet.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

agree to chi11y

kann nix kann alles
irc: fedeago_UTzone
teelove

@everyone who thinks, that racing will fade out:

There are similar groups in CS and other games.

I played jump and surf maps in CS a few years ago. "Normal" players would never play them, but there was a community playing and mapping them and it really was fun smile

I think the racing will be played for a long time (while I'm not sure about other gamemode ideas...)

8 (edited by V34 2008-01-13 21:44:57)

I agree with lostgeek. I think it's a certain part of the community that will play this gamemode, and take it quite serious.

I must say I don't think this will fade out.

u compare the cs-comm to the tw-comm o_O u know that there is small difference in size of these communities? I mean race for soldat exists as well but how much is it played?

Though if tw-race is kinda like this worms-roping-thing which is played.
Ok maybe ...

kann nix kann alles
irc: fedeago_UTzone
teelove

yep, i agree to kan³ix. in worms is roperace one of the most popular gamemodes.

11 (edited by PrimeviL 2008-01-22 20:53:05)

*english please*

@hununu: hier können einige deutsch sprechen, aber um niemanden auszuschließen sprechen alle englisch. englisch wird hier auch als forumsprache vorgeschrieben wink

back to topic:

i also think race-mode would be played like defrag for quake or something like this. it's a variety of the game some people like to play and it's always my opinion that these people should get what they want. it's a feature which i think shouldn't be hard to implement and the guys who don't like it don't have to play it wink

Heres any easy way to do it:
Add items called checkpoints. There should be a begginning checkpoint and an finish one.

A timer starts when you hit the beggining one and ends when you hit the finish one.

The time is your score.

pharo212 wrote:

Heres any easy way to do it:
Add items called checkpoints. There should be a begginning checkpoint and an finish one.

A timer starts when you hit the beggining one and ends when you hit the finish one.

The time is your score.

Should it work like that when there´s several people racing at once too? Wouldn´t there be some value in everyone´s time starting at the same time? I mean, you wouldn´t want too not know if you won after you reached the finish line first, right?

If you guys missed it. Real support for race mode is coming. http://ix.teewars.com/trac/ticket/287

yum yum :>

aka oop²

Looks good matricks, but with no weapons, there will be no rocketjumps sad
Add ability to choose this with a server flag?

Used to be very active waay back

- disabling life for rocketjumping - it will be to easy, as marvinj wrote.

PS. What is an eyecandy (sorry, I'm polish)?

ThePuMa Clan

Unnecessary things that are unimportant to gameplay but look cool.

pharo212 wrote:

Unnecessary things that are unimportant to gameplay but look cool.

Are you talking about rocketjumps? If you are you will soon be totally wrong!

In 0.4 there will be non-chainable blocks, and you better believe that mappers like jeppo, arian, Chi11y & myself (to name a few) will be taking full advantage of this ... meaning that rocketjumps may soon be a valueable skill for the true racer.

With that said, Matricks please do not remove all weapons...

the next release of jrace1 will be not finishable without rocketjumps

jeppo wrote:

the next release of jrace1 will be not finishable without rocketjumps

Interesting... I don't agree with making a race not finishable without rocketjumps ... I rather make it so that it is an advance if you can do it, not a must!

@the-non-rocketjumping-lovers, this proves my point.

I believe racing with player collision would be more interesting than without, hooking too sabotage opponents jumps and such, then again that would be more demanding on the map design. The possibilty too restart at any time would sort of ruin that, too.

matricks, according player collisions the best way would be to let server admins decide if they want those.

@weaps the rocket gives us many possibilities, having unlimited health has both pros and cons and what to have there is also hard to decide.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites