Topic: TeeWiki

http://teewiki.info/w/images/teewiki.png

After some time in the shadows we're proud to uncover a new component of the Teeworlds community! It's something we've discussed and thought about for a long time, and now it's finally ready to be seen and used by you all. We bring you the TeeWiki.

This is a powerful tool for you all to use. You will be able to find information about everything Teeworlds in a matter of clicks, and you will also be able to provide your own knowledge to the community! Remember that this is for the community, by the community. To be able to use this wiki in its full potential, you all need to provide.

It's easy to get started, really! Just register on the website and start typing! As simple as that. Check the wanted pages for all of the stuff we need!

We have lots of information leaks to fill up, so please help us to do that!

We on TeeTV and TeeWiki hope that this will further contribute to an increased community activity, with lots of people helping each other. Questions often asked and information about the game will now be in the same place, in a nice, simple package. Have fun!

//TeeWiki crew

Re: TeeWiki

very nice indeed!
So c'mon people move your a$$ and fill it with information.

Besides: I don't like the tee's eyes ;P

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Really nice smile I love the logo <3 <3

The icon is just awesome!

I really look forward to topics about certain clans and players big_smile

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

well filled up my part wink

Left [WTF] so I had to make an other account here. The new account is named: "pepperoni" with a big golden P as avatar.

its awesome indeed!!!!

ill try if i can fill a lill bit smile

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

@somerunce

is it inteded to create information about clans, too?

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

8 (edited by Azon 2008-11-27 13:12:31)

Posted this one the main page discussion, but couldn't hurt to discuss it here as well.

------------------------------------------

I have had some good thoughts about this project, and I think it would be great if we could get some kind of dialogue going about what is important to this wiki's success. The long-term goal should be for the community to establish some kind of solution to the following inherent problem. I foresee an uncontrolled wild grow of pages about clans and individual players. Although this might not be such a problem in the beginning phase of the project, in the long term it will form a significant burden:

a. If every clan and player has his own page it will be extremely hard to guarantee the quality of every page. Not every clan will put enough effort into their page making it worthwhile for the wiki. Especially individual playernames have no significant value to the core principles of this wiki in my opinion. People have a user page where they can present themselves.

b. Although nobody likes to see it, sometimes people don't like each other in-game. This isn't such a problem as long as it stays in-game, but having a wiki with individual player-pages makes it tempting to continue the in-game trouble out here. It's a plausible thought this could cause a significant amount of vandalism, resulting in time-consuming corrections which mean less time for the actual improvement of the wiki.

c. I think clanpages will mainly be functional if we develop some kind of organized and structural way to present the factual data. I believe we all agree that pages boasting about the uber pwnage godlike skills don't mean much of an improvement to the wiki. Things like leaders, members, website and clan-events however could be very informative to the entire community.

9 (edited by Lappi 2008-11-27 13:11:56)

Azon wrote:

Posted this one the main page discussion, but couldn't hurt to discuss it here as well.(...)

I fully agree with you. I don't think information about the clans is relevant for the wiki. Clans as well as players come and go and it would be a lot of effort to take care of the orphaned, outdated information.

One should think of a systen in which the clans have to register periodically. If they don't, the name is locked and hidden for a certain blocking period. Until such a service is implemented it's enough to list all clans with links to their homepage and leader on a list_of_clans page.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

10 (edited by 0³7 2008-11-27 14:14:09)

very nice work smile
@ AMN: yeah me too lol

edit: maybe i could create a page about backgrounds/write my tutorial there ?!

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

0³7 wrote:

maybe i could create a page about backgrounds/write my tutorial there ?!

Sure, the community would appreciate it. Thank you.

And Landil, why shouldnt there be articles bout clans? The more articles, the more fun.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Landil wrote:

@somerunce

is it inteded to create information about clans, too?

I think it would be great if this wiki was similar to the wiki at QuakeWorld Drama (http://wiki.qwdrama.com/Overview).

Therefore a whole category on players (grouped by their country), clans etc.

Sorry to be such a nitpicker, but it seems that the "navigation" text overlaps with the teewiki image: here.
Besides, nice idea.

Very nice ,thanks

Goodbye all. Account inactive since March 2011.

Captain AMN wrote:

And Landil, why shouldnt there be articles bout clans? The more articles, the more fun.

I think what the developers of the wiki are aiming at is not just a massive amount of articles, but also a certain level of quality. The problem with a clan is that it comes in many shapes. Some clans just play for fun, other clans take it seriously. To suit all those shapes I think it's best if we stick to the basic facts about every clan, a bit as you can see on the clans at the Quake website.

The information I would like to see about a clan in the wiki is:

- Name & origin
- Leaders
- Members
- Memorable events
- How to contact
- etc etc

In my opinion clan pages will be perfectly fine, as long as we keep them focused at quality, not quantity. A unspecified number of random clan-abbreviations with very little to no information is something that should be avoided at all cost, especially at this early phase of the wiki-build. For now we should focus on constructing the basics of the game, like weapons and development.

Captain AMN wrote:

The more shit, the more flies.

To the people who already started making user pages: Could you please remove them and dont add new ones?
The reason is that we are currently writing rules for TeeWiki to not have a swarm of user pages containing "I'm X player and im memeber of X clan"-
Please remove the user pages within one day or we will do it for you.

I would just like to report that the TeeWiki has seen almost 120 new pages in the first week of it's public existence! To everyone who already contributes, keep up the good work, and to everyone that hasn't, there's plenty of work to be done! Especially custom maps and information about servers / graphic modifications need to be created, and all the existing content still needs to expand.

So be sure to check it out and give your best try to contribute something!

@Azon: I see that you are posting a lot! Very nice work!

@the rest of the tees here: I am really happy that this is up because it provides a new format of information. However, I have a few questions...

1) Why use mediawiki when there are so many  better (also free) scripts out there? e.g. Twiki.

2) Can this wiki be integrated with this forum? They both use an SQL database, so the _users table should be easy to integrate with a re-installation (no loss of posts is required)

3) Can you make this in a different, more tee-appropriate style? If you can, then can u make the template less that 1000 pixels wide so that I can integrate it into my site?

<? php echo "Magix"; ?>
------------------------------------------------
Tee-City <--------- The one Teeworlds site to rule them all!

Magix wrote:

@Azon: I see that you are posting a lot! Very nice work!

@the rest of the tees here: I am really happy that this is up because it provides a new format of information. However, I have a few questions...

1) Why use mediawiki when there are so many  better (also free) scripts out there? e.g. Twiki.

2) Can this wiki be integrated with this forum? They both use an SQL database, so the _users table should be easy to integrate with a re-installation (no loss of posts is required)

3) Can you make this in a different, more tee-appropriate style? If you can, then can u make the template less that 1000 pixels wide so that I can integrate it into my site?

1. There are a lot of converters for mediawiki, to make it able to view on mobile devices.

xD there are for Twiki as well. Teewiki also comes with a better theme, better image embedding, and more...which I am too lazy to type out here.

<? php echo "Magix"; ?>
------------------------------------------------
Tee-City <--------- The one Teeworlds site to rule them all!

Awesome!

;Visit my: Homepage
;Tutorial how to use DEMO function!
;Quited TeeWorlds - Exams on Skool!

I'm proud to announce that TeeWiki now contains Sebaci's map editor tutorial, with fully integrated images.

I hope many more people take a interest in map design now there's an easy way for them to get the basics. Be free to add your own tutorials if you have any, any help with layout will be provided.

Everybody keep up the good work!

I love the icon, and I think it is a great add on to teeworlds. big_smile

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

As Teewiki is always looking for ways to expand it's information we would love to include some of the high quality guides people have produced here on some subjects (servers, maps etc.). A while ago I asked in specific posts if people could give permission to place their guide on Teewiki, but not many people responded. Is it therefor save to assume these guides can be placed without permission, with the common rule that if people at some point disagree with their guide on Teewiki it'll be deleted, no questions asked?

As far as I understand copyright when you place something on a forum it belongs to the forum, and considering the forum is publicly available it shouldn't be a problem, right?