Topic: Updated forum rules and signal system

We've implemented a signal system for the forum, similar to Reddit and other social bookmarking sites. Every user has one up- or downvote available for each post. If a post gets enough negative votes, it will be hidden from public view to lessen the noise.

The forum rules have also been updated. Read them carefully, or risk incurring the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing.

Re: Updated forum rules and signal system

yeah nice so its getting more in the direction moderation by community

3 (edited by Landil 2008-10-22 20:51:49)

Brilliant! Now some people will be feared. I was really awaiting such a feature.

Don't wanne see that again: "I can haz download link för mapeditoren?"

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Wonderful! I actually thought about a system like this yesterday, scary stuff lol. Really nice initiative. smile

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

/cheer I <3 it. This will help to react faster w/o interaction of a named mod.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

I hope this up-downvote function don't get's abused...

A wise man told his fellow FPS gamers once: "god forbid any of you going into war"

Cool. Looking forward to abuse this system big_smile

Look the other way please. // ~{MS}~ Azon

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

agree smile

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

Mecha-Kirby wrote:

I hope this up-downvote function don't get's abused...

I think it can already. If you get 5 guys (separate accounts), and all "thumbs down" or whatever a post, then it will be hidden by default. And there doesn't appear to be anything stopping somebody from doing it for basically every post on this forum, automatically, say with javascript.

Although this community doesn't have any/many dickheads, compared to a website like YouTube.

Nice feature smile

If you happen to see this, make use of the Report function in order to warn the moderators. // ~{MS}~ Azon

Oh Noas!
your "Autodetect location of game data" will kill the pixel wars sad

_|---------------------------------------|_
  |Skins StudioPaw Steam Icon Graphics |

Interesting. Every system can be abused in some way but hopefully this will bring more advantages than disadvantages and in the end resulting in a better forum. Time will tell.
Cannot say I personally thought it was needed (obviously it was) but I'm just a plain visitor.. I hope this means the developers can focus more on developing the actual game. smile

The best way to counter abuse is for regular users to reward good posts by voting them up. That way, you dampen the effect of any disruptive efforts by scriptkiddies and their ilk.

teetow wrote:

The best way to counter abuse is for regular users to reward good posts by voting them up. That way, you dampen the effect of any disruptive efforts by scriptkiddies and their ilk.

The only problem with that is that you'd have most posts being voted up, even if the post didn't contribute that much.

I'm sure if you could limit the number of up/down votes you could do in x minutes would be good... Or at least better than nothing. ie voting more than 30 times in 5 minutes isn't necessary for a regular user.

Detecting these kinds of abuse is easy and I have already setup some systems to detect it so.

Good.

16 (edited by Chrono Syndrome 2008-10-23 10:41:26)

Remember the golden rule: Moderators are always right, even when they're wrong.

Basically theay are always wrong, but OK... Just think a little - if this rule is right, what you, teetow? will do if one of moderators will say (publically): "Teetow, you are ***** and should instantly go from my very own forum !!!11oneone", hmm ? Well, we will agree with this sentence (thank to rules), but I'm especially curious 'bout you...

Don't try to catch the Night !
Useless simplifications is worst enemy of simplicity. (C)

gordzo70@hotmail.com wrote:
teetow wrote:

The only problem with that is that you'd have most posts being voted up, even if the post didn't contribute that much.

I did say reward GOOD posts. The signal system is meant to lessen noise, which includes posts that don't contribute much.

Chrono Syndrome wrote:

Remember the golden rule: Moderators are always right, even when they're wrong.

Basically theay are always wrong, but OK... Just think a little - if this rule is right, what you, teetow? will do if one of moderators will say (publically): "Teetow, you are **** and should instantly go from my very own forum !!!11oneone", hmm ? Well, we will agree with this sentence (thank to rules), but I'm especially curious 'bout you...

Well, as teetow is kind of our boss, any moderator saying such thing wouldn't be a moderator for very long after that, and thus can very well be wrong again.
This is a very hypothetical discussion however, as we love our teetow and would never say such foul things!

Used to be very active waay back

101kl wrote:

Good.

See what i mean? my post got hidden for no apparent reason.

Except for the fact that it contains less content then a "how-to-use a ballpoint" manual. //~{MS}~ Azon

101kl wrote:
101kl wrote:

Good.

See what i mean? my post got hidden for no apparent reason.

No, quite the opposite. Your post was a single word that expressed your opinion, but did not add to the discussion so it got hidden to save a few centimeters of screen-space. That way it is much easier to see the more important posts.
It's not that your post was stupid or anything, it just didn't add anything.

Used to be very active waay back

Think.
threads with Skins and Game.png's.
a new skin comes out, and its very good, but some people don't like it, so they vote down, therefore making it hidden.
i think it should be: you still have that system, but a moderator like yourself or other moderators, approve whether or not it will be hidden.

If you happen to see this, make use of the Report function in order to warn the moderators. // ~{MS}~ Azon

Well, as teetow is kind of our boss, any moderator saying such thing wouldn't be a moderator for very long after that

Basically, I saw cases, when moderators goes against admins\super-moderators. I'm personally was one of such moderators)). Anyways: current rules system seems to lift ordinary moders unusually high with such sentence. I'm kinda diagree with it.

Don't try to catch the Night !
Useless simplifications is worst enemy of simplicity. (C)

101kl wrote:

Think.
threads with Skins and Game.png's.
a new skin comes out, and its very good, but some people don't like it, so they vote down, therefore making it hidden.
i think it should be: you still have that system, but a moderator like yourself or other moderators, approve whether or not it will be hidden.

Then the masses will vote it up because they like it. Stop discussing the moderation/signal. Check the rules.

While we're talking about forum updates, would it be possible to change where the Report link is? I always end up clicking it when I want to quote someone. Wondering if I'm the only one (if so, no worries).

Magnet wrote:

While we're talking about forum updates, would it be possible to change where the Report link is? I always end up clicking it when I want to quote someone. Wondering if I'm the only one (if so, no worries).

same happens to me! So you're not the only one.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!