1 (edited by Somerunce 2008-10-27 11:13:49)

Topic: TW dictionary (WIP)

Updated a little bit.
*Removed a few words that seemed useless.
*Removed the mental section as I realised that most words there don't require much explination.
However many words are still in, as, even if you don't find any use for them, it's usefull for commentators to quickly be able to talk about "concepts" instead of having to explain everything everytime again and make up words as they go.
*Also added a lot of words! Sometimes I took your comments right off, sometimes I rewrote them, ok?
*It feels like another category would be nice for clarity, as General terms is pretty long. Anyone got any suggestions?

Note that this topic should never really be finished, since there always can pop up new words. However there is still the status of covering a basic set of terms, that have use today, and it's still not quite there yet (still some words that needs filling in).

-----------------------------------------------
----------abbreviations---------------

CTF: Capture The Flag
DM:  Death Match
TDM: Team Death Match

gl: Grenade Launcher
sg: Shotgun
hp: Hitpoints, the sum of Health and armor.

ghs: Grenade + Hook + Shotgun (a basic tactic for close combat).

---------General Terms--------

Resource:
Usually any item (health/armor/weapons) but can at times also be a strategic point in the map.

State:
A players state is the current situation they are in, counting in hp, weapons, positioning and enemy positioning, but generally not counting in the current score. This is a fairly abstract concept that does not have so much use except for explaining other terms.

Spam:
The act of attempting to "fill" the air with as much shots as possible in one general direction.

Sneak/slip:

Trap:
The act of putting your enemy in a position such that their movement is restricted, and that they have no other way out but to pass you.

Squish:
The act of trying to kill a trapped enemy without closing in on them, just simply trying to use their lack of space to hit with ones own shots.

Defend:
Making sure that the opponent does not get their hands on a specific resource, without necessarily taking that resource itself.

Stab:
The act of making a surprise attack from a seemingly disfavoring position (or state). The motive is to catch the opponent off guard and win the combat by that confusion.

Charge:
Running straight into grenades or shots in order to try to engage in deadly combat. The plan is to either just soak up the shots, or avoid them by moving "unpredictably stupid".

GrenadeBoost/Boost:
Using the grenade launcher to gain extra speed.

GrenadeJump:   (or RocketJumping)
Shooting into the ground as one jumps, in order to get extra height.
Tip: make sure you jump slightly before fire the grenade, due to shots happening quicker then other actions on the server.

Double GrenadeJump:
Doing a grenadejump at the same moment and at the same point another grenade hits the ground, to escalate you even higher from the ground. Usually only seen in run maps.

Mirror/corner shot:
Performing a shot with the laser, such that the laser first hits a wall and then bounces hitting the enemy.

Pass:   (as in, "passing the flag")
Giving the flag to a teammate by commiting suicide, sometimes forcefully.

Camping:

Blocking:
Attempting to defend a passage such that no enemies should be able to go through.

Pointing:
Firing bullets as a mean of communication, indicating such as "take that weapon" or "go that way" or "defend here". Some players also use the hammer for this.

Critical/critical health:
The state when a player has 6 or less hitpoints. Because grenades make 6 damage, having such few hp means that the player can die in a single hit.

Wall-grenade:
A grenade that tries to damage opponents on the other side of the wall it hits.

-----------Commentator terms-----------

Block-grenade:
A block-grenades primary purpose is not to hit the opponent, but simply be in their path of movement and thus forcing them to a halt, stalling them and gaining time for one self. However quite frequently players make mistakes and run into block-grenades nonetheless. Block-grenades are typically aimed at narrow passages, or commonly traversed points.

Grenade-wall/bullet-wall:
Many shots coming with the exact same angle, from the exact same point.

Timing-grenade:
A very well timed grenade, aimed at a point where the player has predicted his opponent that is not among the usual movement-paths.

Rear-grenade:
Grenades fired backwards while running away.

Bug-move:
Captures the flag by passing it to a team-member on the other side of a hole you can't go through. Common on lost. The name comes from the first player to do that in the first iCTF broadcast.

----------General Strategy terms----------

Movement patterns:
Yea I know what this is, good thinking torch. Need some thinking time though, will add it next time.

<Item> control:
Knowing very well the next moment a certain item will spawn. Usually taking that item as well, if not, then damaging/punishing the player who does.

Spawn-kill/rush:
Predicting the opponents spawning position and moving in to finish them off as soon as possible, preferably
before they have any chance of establishing themselves.

Map control:
Map control is the state where one player or one team the majority of the important items under timing control.

Weapon Lock down:
The act of having timing control on all weapons, effectively leaving the opponent with no other weapons then pistol and hammer. Although the general thought seems to be that this is a new strategy, when I told RallyHagge about it back in January, he said that he had already done it back in 0.2.3. Kids these days, lol.

Push:
Repeated attacks against a player in a stronger position/state, ignoring. While a serious strategy in 0.3, it is severely weaker in 0.4, and generally all pushes are more or less considered tilts.

Gathering/Farming/Loading up:
Act of picking up many items.

Defensive:
A play style that is very defensive, i.e. no attacking and much running away and gathering resources.

Committed attack:
<to be filled in.>

Tilt:  (or tilting)
A player in a weak state that attacks his stronger opponent out of frustration, often several times in a row, causing his opponent many points. For those who don't get it: tilting is bad for you, ok? wink. Sometimes a player also tilts by continuously misjudging his opponents hp (and by attacking too much because of it).

----------Misc--------------

Hat-trick:
The act of making three direct hits with the gl in a row, and all hits land on the same opponent while this opponent is in the air, without touch ground in between them.

Photo:
At the end of a CTF game all players standing near the (winning teams) flag are 'on the photo'. A totally useless term, just for fun.

aka kiwi

2 (edited by Landil 2008-10-12 08:44:35)

Re: TW dictionary (WIP)

Furthermore:

One section with abbreviations:
CTF: Capture The Flag
DM: Death Match
TDM: Team Death Match

Self-Kill-Strategy for CTF:
For some inofficial maps (e.g. the popular lost map) or mods (football mod) it is sometimes advantageous to kill oneself to get back to the respawn point.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I wouldnt call selfkilling a strategy, but it can be advantageous on any map ( in teamgames ) when u need to respawn fast at home ( mostly so you can defend your flag ). Take into consideration a situation on CTF2 2v2 people. Both flags are taken and the flaggers stay at their own base, while the other players in their team try to get the flag back, with no luck. A team with good communication the agrees that both of them will attack and if they succeed to get their flag back the one without the flag must go back defend ASAP ( by killing himself ) to prevent a base camper to escape with the flag. I think there will be a 'feature' in 0.5.0 which wont allow the effective usage of this 'technique' any more, but back in the old times I used it succesfully sometimes ( okay quite alot wink ). And I know many disliked the usage of this feature, called us cheaters etc etc, but it was there and was (ab)used alot upto 0.4.3 so its worth mentioning.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

4 (edited by pAn!K - Hiryuu 2008-10-12 10:41:26)

ghs = grenade + hook + shotgun (a basic tactic for close combat)
spam = the fact to shoot a lot with the gun
rush = predict the next repop of the player and attack him suddently

airen wrote:

Impulsive:
  chilly lol. and me too sometimes lol lol. Playing in a "fun" way rather then in a good way.

hawhaw. xD

Great job, keep on extending it with common tactics for different gametypes. CTF has a couple of clear common tactics, and so has the survival mod. smile

You forgot the hook tactics (hook/shotgun hook/rocket hook/hammer) though. smile

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

TERMS:
boost - using the rocket launcher to gain extra speed, or to jump very high - also known as rocketjumping
mirror/corner shot - performing a shot with the laser, such that the laser first hits a wall and then bounces hitting the enemy. Very effective since a lot of players are unaware of the lasers hitting distance and feel safe behind obstacles, walls, w/e
pass - When u have the enemy flag and kill urself in order to let some of your teammates take the flag. ( becasue he may be better defender, w/e ... ). Performing a pass can be considered rude when u hook a teammate not wanting to take the flag and kill urself while being close to him, so he automatically takes the flag.
pointing - explained at the tactics

TACTICS: ( most apply to CTF ( and the map ctf2 ) )
blocking - camping and rocket/pistol spamming a location u know your enemy has to pass by in order to escape ( with a flag ). Blocking is very effective when performed correctly since the blocked player ( most of the times the flagger ) just _cannot_ pass that way, so he has to choose another way if possible.
pointing - pointing means to pistol spam @ some resources, mostly used to draw the attention of teammates. Pointing at a shotgun means - hey you are allowed to take that shotgun - to your teammates.
movement patterns - these apply not only for ctf. Its quite hard to explain a movement pattern. It means when u have to get from location A to B U always choose the same path, perform the same moves, pick up the same items, etc etc. Movement patterns can e both good and bad for you. Using optimized mov. patterns you can get very fast from one point to another, using them too much makes ur gameplay predictable, which makes u extremely easy to kill.

MISC:
photo - at an enf of a CTF game all players standing near the (winning teams) flag are 'on the photo'. A totally useless term, just for fun.
mega pistol - shooting the pistol extremely fast. a not widely known technique exists ( not a cheat, not a combo ) to perform this 'trick' so if u know how to do it, just plz keep the secret. It has already leaked out since alot of people are aware of it.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

7 (edited by Stephanator 2008-10-12 12:43:58)

Why do you call hp "hitpoints"? I would call them healthpoints^^

And greande launcher can also be called rocket launcher, the projectiles grenades, rockets, nades,...

I would add to map control that this is the hardest tactic and you are almost unbeatable if you can keep it up.

@torch: If you say there is a trick for pistol, you should probably tell us, I mean either don´t mention it or explain it but that way was not very intelligent. You know, nobody should have unfair advantages.

Qi - high level gaming
qi.m0g.net

First the term hitpoints is not the same as the term healthpoints, you was most probalby confused because their abbreviation hp is the same. Hitpoints is the number of Healthpoints + Armor. About the pistol trick: Im not willing to disclose it, because it was not my idea, and I dont think it is an unfair advantage since it is a trick and not a cheat. Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it, but its quite late to think about that. And im sure others will tell u.

torch wrote:

First the term hitpoints is not the same as the term healthpoints, you was most probalby confused because their abbreviation hp is the same. Hitpoints is the number of Healthpoints + Armor. About the pistol trick: Im not willing to disclose it, because it was not my idea, and I dont think it is an unfair advantage since it is a trick and not a cheat. Maybe I shouldnt have mentioned it, but its quite late to think about that. And im sure others will tell u.

When you say pistol you mean the regular gun or the laser gun?

I mean the pistol ( the regular gun, which u spawn with ). I never thought someone might confuse theese two wink

Also as an addition to the first post:
Critical health is also when u have only 1 healthpoint and full armor for example ( 11 hitpoints ) since when receiving more than 1 damage one health point is decreased and the rest decreases the armor, so with 1 healthpoint and 10 armor u will die from anything which deals more than 1 damage.

heh...
Most of them I never used or heard someone using and I'm playing quite a long time.

Im creating an website with name TeeWorlds dictionary ;-) Coming soon

Goodbye all. Account inactive since March 2011.

yay the most things are just senseless

like:
Hat-trick:
The act of making three direct hits with the gl in a row, and all hits land on the same opponent while this opponent is in the air, without touch ground in between them.

WTF is that O.o then u can give every 3 hits in a row a name like

ground-trick:
hit 3 times the same opponent with the shotgun while he is on the ground

or
Blow up:
"the players blow up", "x blew the players up"
One players kill both players with a grenade.

thats a multikill for me

but some are really good xP

torch wrote:

I mean the pistol ( the regular gun, which u spawn with ). I never thought someone might confuse theese two wink

Well I'm not confused, I just find it's already rather quick to attack with the pistol, so I wonder what "super fast" means.

It's gonna take me a few days to update this, so bare with me. But keep the words and suggestions coming, many words that I've forgotten about or that would be useful. smile

I think it would be better to have a separate thread with the most basic strategies for the different game modes though.

torch:
Yea I know that having just 1 health is also critical, but it's really rare. But I could add it, yes.

stivikivi:
*hat-trick is really old but unused xP. It's exists mostly because it's kind of funny and rare, but it's not important in any way.

*blow up is kind of obvious, but it's different from multikill, multikill is when you get several points with the same shot, while a blow up (which kills yourself) makes your score go nowhere (+1 -1), and could be advantageous for the player that was behind in the fight.

aka kiwi

"the photo" is the most important term smile Forget the other stuff. There are some useless terms in the dictionary imo, i think u should stick to the basic words and not lose your freetime on unnecessary words. There should be a better word for mega pistol, but my fantasy regarding this is limited to "own, mega, ultra, pwn and mega "  =/ oh and of course only the police is allowed to shoot faster than the police  allows it.  big_smile thx airen for writing this all down. BTW@Tortsh: getting mai internets tomorrow yeey!

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

17 (edited by tacone 2008-10-15 20:03:44)

(following terms are mine, and not widely used)

flyover:
While following an enemy at high speed which is just out of grenades range, using a (mostly horizontal), rocket-jump to fill the gap, flying over his head and landing right before of him, ready to hit or hook.

gymkhana
situation with a (own) team full of novices which most likely stay in your way stopping your runs or forcing you to dribble them while dealing with enemies.

pull up
the act of pulling a tee hooking him from above, thus raising him in the air. Sometimes used to prevent flag capture or as a surprise attack.

where is hooker ?!

ima charhgin ma lazerz!!1
SHOOP DA WHOOOOP!!!!!!11

The dictionary site completed. Its only test running, buzt you can see it at:
http://www.teeworlds.webovka.eu/dictionary

Goodbye all. Account inactive since March 2011.