1 (edited by marines 2008-07-10 17:40:26)

Topic: TeeMaps

I'd like to present TeeMaps - first (maybe am i wrong?) TeeWorlds maps directory. It is not absolutely ideal but works fine. I need your help (ideas are enough wink) to improve it. smile So here it is http://marines.vdl.pl/teemaps/ (still under construction) and I'm waiting for your opinion.

Re: TeeMaps

no upload function.. nothing .. not real good

Remember me? Questions? Just leave a message, I will respond within 72 hrs!

why no upload fuction? just "Send new map" wink

4 (edited by GSGDani 2008-07-10 12:15:51)

oh sry .. i dont noticed it.. but you can upload everything... not real good.. change allowed types to *.map files... and add a maximal map size.. maybe 1,5 mb or something wink

very nice smile waited for something like that a long time. perhaps you could add a description for every map and how much players are recommended. And perhaps the possibility to sort by name, gametype and so on. and a search would be nice smile
and the design: it is a bit small. imagine this site on a 24" tft.

6 (edited by marines 2008-07-10 13:44:52)

ok, i'll continue developing it.

Dani wrote:

you can upload everything... not real good.. change allowed types to *.map files...

are you sure? ;]

marines wrote:

ok, i'll continue developing it.

Dani wrote:

you can upload everything... not real good.. change allowed types to *.map files...

are you sure? ;]

yes im sure.. .. if i upload a virus named dm4.map .. it will work.. not real good ^^.. but i know its hard to solve.. ^^

8 (edited by marines 2008-07-10 21:15:30)

have u ever seen something like that in any site? ;P you must be kidding.

i think you are very sceptic about my idea ;]

It's not the first map database, but it's by far the best so far.

Used to be very active waay back

@marines äm .. yes.. because when my site -> www.teeworlds-db.com is finished it contains a skin map and tile database..

but not map database smile

Dani wrote:

@marines äm .. yes.. because when my site -> www.teeworlds-db.com is finished it contains a skin map and tile database..

i bet this is a map database part

i can't see there any maps. only skins.

Dani wrote:

i think i don't understand you guys. sorry if i have said sth wrong. if you think i should end TeeMaps project, just say.

No, I think you should keep going. However, I think you should expand your repository pretty fast, or it will die.

Once you have added most of the current 0.4.x-maps, people will come and upload their new maps on there own.
I still have people downloading maps from my map db for 0.3.x, and as far as I know it isn't even linked any longer tongue

@marines and Marik16 first read.. then think.. and after that.. write.. and not read and write.. or read and think -.-
@FireArrow thanks..  0.3.x maps? o.OO explain me^^ lol

@Dani, I once hosted every single map ever posted here pre Teeworlds 0.4.x. When the editor suddenly got supported and the map auto downloader was implemented and supported, I did no longer see a real need for my database. Also, I didn't have time to keep up all the new maps suddenly flowing out.

You know, once upon a time, custom maps were pretty hardcore ^^

@FireArrow ohh yes.. i know what you mean..

It takes ages to download maps like BHV via teeworlds.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

Roanoke wrote:

It takes ages to download maps like BHV via teeworlds.

only when sv_high_bandwidth is set to 0 .. -.-

22 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-11 18:21:29)

Good idea.

Maybe it would be a good idea to combine it with that flash based online map viewer.

Oh and it would be a good idea to have the uploader agree to some open-sharing license like cc, gdl or anything. Or else some idiot may come again and make again a hugh discussion what someone can do with the map downloaded and what not.

23 (edited by marines 2008-07-11 20:11:15)

what do you think about identyfying map authors? maybe only map author should may add map by hisself? i'm afraid there will be many people who will sign not their maps. how to solve it?

maybe e-mail identyfication? authors ranking?

catpaw, do you mean kind of policy which will permit or not things to do with maps?

24 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-11 21:19:53)

marines wrote:

what do you think about identyfying map authors? maybe only map author should may add map by hisself? i'm afraid there will be many people who will sign not their maps. how to solve it?

maybe e-mail identyfication? authors ranking?

catpaw, do you mean kind of policy which will permit or not things to do with maps?

A license that allows, a) at least an infinite non-exclusive permission for the mapserver to host this thing (this should be a no-brainer). b) An allowness for anybody to download it, and use it on his server and also redistribute it. c) And an allowness to make modifications(improvements) and to be able to give it to others.

I don't think there have to be big controls, just like in wikipedia, they tell you all you content you enter there gets under their open license. If someone else tries to give what he doesn't own (which he cannot), you just delete it, if the real author(s) complains to you.

cc-by-nc-sa http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/ would do okay i guess.

catpaw wrote:

c) And an allowness to make modifications(improvements) and to be able to give it to others.

This would require a credit to the original creator.

I would be fine with people modifying my maps I upload to a database, as long as I also get credit for it, and they do it good.