1 (edited by torch 2008-07-02 12:31:26)

Topic: Coder needed for a mod

Hi, I have thought of a new gametype which imho would quite well fit the whole TW philosophy. I've already contacted some people about it, asked opinions etc, and got some positive feedback. I think this new gametype would be worth making. Ofcourse I know devs are very busy, thats why I posted this here, because what I need is someone who can code the things I can imagine ( lol now that I write that it sounds so cool ), i mean to make a mod. Later if it gets popular or u just like it, w/e may happen. And now let me describe what I thought of. This new gametype would be called Jailbreak.
In this gametype you have to frag the other teams players, but after u kill someone they get spawned in a prison! The prison is totally isolated, it means no way getting out ( isolated I mean by walls ). Every team has a base and a prison, near their base where enemys are cought. Every team has a switch ( flag  ) at their base which triggers the prison doors ( spawning ) so when enemy reaches ur trigger the prisoners are freed and can continue playing. The whole game is round based, means 10 rounds/per game for example. U win a round if all enemy members are prisoned. Then a new round begins. One of the biggest problem is that people in prison may get bored therefore:
- it shud be allowed for them to spectate in an automatic way, without loosing score ( but their body should stay in prison. I think this is the hardest part of the implementation if possible at all )
- in every round there can be allowed max 1 or 2 arena fights ( means might happen none at all )
  Arena fight: two tees from both prisons are randomly chosen and spawned in a small arena somewhere on the map ( also isolated like prisons ) and can fight for freedom. Whoever wins gets out of prison. ( Making too much of theese fights can ruin the gameplay, balance needs to be found - somrthing like if (rand()%6==0) fight(); ) After all I think it is possible to make this mod with the current engine/api. Another thing ( suggested by ShootMe ) is a forced time limit, so tees wont stay in prison forever even if the alive ones are inactive. I think that there should be a time limit for each round for example 8 mins, if time perishes team with most score wins the round. ( scoring needs to be thought of too ) But if one team frees its teammates timelimit is incremented with 2 mins for example, fcorse the max still remains 8. That way the game will be more dramatic and fun. Atleast I think.

Of course there are some details that need to be thought of, for example self kills with rockets, or `kill` cmd, where to spawn freed tees, how to trigger the switch ( just touching it may be easy ), where to place it etc. As a base map I thought of a modified ctf2, with prisons above bases, arena above center ( sword ), and switches somewhere in bases. The gameplay shud be quite enjoyable imho.

The idea is not too original *cough http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut-jailbreak/ *cough, but I think it fits tw philosophy quite well, teamplay, strategy etc ... Feel free to conatct me if you like the idea and think you could do it ( or know someone who  can/want etc... )

Heres a link to the map, it speaks for itself
http://ihrisko.org/~troch/jail22.map

Update:
Abbreviation: JL
Rules:
A game consists of rounds. By default this should be 6 rounds / per game.
You can win a round if you prison/kill all the enemies or the time goes by, and you have more score. Theres a so called soft-time limit for a round which means from the start you have 8 minutes to kill urselves, but if someone reaches a jail switch 2 minutes are added to the time. 8 is still the max. If u open a jail, the jail cant be opened again for 1 minute ( or maybe 2 ? ). You can open a jail max 3 times / round. If u get killed you go to jail - which means u will spectate ( I tihnk this is better than hanging around in a 6x4 cage ... ). An arena fight can happen only if one of the teams has 2x more alive players ( 6v3,2,1; 5v2,1;4v2,1; 3v1; 2v1)
But whether a fight happens should be random because it can make advantage to both teams ... imagine 5v3 a fight happens then 6v3 o_O. Something like the good old russian roulette should do it. Tees should spawn with full health and some armor. Oh I almost forgot. The scoring:
kill an enemy - 1p
jailbreak     - 3p + 1p / member freed
win a duel    - 2p
The scores are only important if neither team can prison all others tees in time. It doesnt matter if you have 100 score the other only 10, if they manage to prison ur team they win the round. Some variables should be added, with a jl_ prefix like theese:

jl_softtime  8 -- time per round
jl_timebonus 2 -- time bonus u get when doing jailbreak
jl_idletime  1 -- time u must wait to open a prison again, after u opened it
jl_maxopen   3 -- max prisonbreaks u can do per round
jl_rounds    6 -- rounds / game
We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

Re: Coder needed for a mod

- it shud be allowed for them to spectate in an automatic way, without loosing score ( but their body should stay in prison. I think this is the hardest part of the implementation if possible at all )

This is not only hard if even impossible without clientside changes, its completly unnecessary for the game to work also. Just spectate them and respawn them when one team member comes to the release area.

Reminds me a lot of the "football-mode" of armmagetron. There you respawn one teammember when snaking through your own goal (each time however increasing a deathzone in your own goal, so its gets slowly harder and harder to respawn teammates without dieing yourself.

I dont know the mod u mentioned. Spectating them as they die is a good idea ... but makes the jail obsolete. Hmm I have to think about that. Btw, its a good idea imho. Ill see.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

Sorry, but if you can't mod, don't mod. Maybe someone has enough time, but I think all potential candidates are already modding their own stuff.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

Constructive feedback: ure doin it wrong

I can't really teach you to mod, and that would be the only constructive feedback possible here. <_<

deny_post($poster);

Roanoke go eat cheezburgers and chill lol

Nobody's asking anybody for teaching him to mod.
This post is intened for people to give feedback whether they have time and interest to help or not.

Pointing at somebody's inability to mod just causes spam, like in this case.

At the moment our hopes rely on Daniel big_smile

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Sounds interesting except that arenafights should really not be random. As little as possible in Teeworlds should be random, that´s part of the philosophy.

Could pherhaps base it on some kind of threshold? When more than half of one team is captured and that team captures someone that could trigger an arenafight for instance. That way a team low on manpower could get members back by killing off attacking enemies (since that would trigger arenafights), giving them a chance to get back in the race.

Captain AMN wrote:

At the moment our hopes rely on Daniel big_smile

Who's he?
Anyway, I'd do this, but I'm doing stuff for my clan so I can't at the moment.

deny_post($poster);

Roanoke wrote:

Who's he?

Look him up in the forum or ingame. Ask for a 1on1 maybe, and you wont forget him ^^

No srlsy, he plays too good for us lol Oh and he can code btw.

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Captain AMN wrote:
Roanoke wrote:

Who's he?

Look him up in the forum or ingame. Ask for a 1on1 maybe, and you wont forget him ^^

No srlsy, he plays too good for us lol Oh and he can code btw.

and he also tend to talk craploads of rubbish, but we love him anyway <3

Used to be very active waay back