Topic: Map/gaming questionnaire

1. what makes a good map?

2. which map(s) is/are your favourite(s)?

3. Which gametype do you like the best?

To get the ball rolling (or is that Tee rolling??), here are my biased answers;

1. I like maps that do not have many narrow spaces/passages and have a good flow through the map. And it is nice when the auther takes the time to finish the "looks" properly.

2. The maps I like the most are, dm1, dm6, mvtwdm03, mvtwdm01, mvtwctf02 & Lost (with Instagib CTF).

3. I prefer normal DM games, but CTF and Instagib are also good for variety.

2 (edited by 0³7 2008-06-27 19:01:16)

Re: Map/gaming questionnaire

hehe nice theard lol

1.i like all the good old race maps beacause they are simple and its always fun to mess with friends lol

2. my favourite of them is ..::JRACE1::.. (jeppo is the best)

3.ctf

Please use an english signature //heinrich5991

3 (edited by Stephanator 2008-06-27 16:56:50)

@037: You like the old race maps but the question was: WHY do you like them and WHAT makes them good.

1. For me, what is most important is fun. As you said, bugs and narrow passages ruin the best map, so I like the ones where you have enough space to move. Of course, weapons, armor and so on should be balanced. Also the design playes a little role.

2. I like ctf2 most cause it was the map I started playing on so I can go through it quite fast now.

3. The gametype I prerfer is CTF cause here teamwork is most important. You always are busy but also can hang around if you want to^^

Qi - high level gaming
qi.m0g.net

1. ability to move fast ( ofcourse it depends on your skill too ), balance ( weapons and pickups ), visibility ( i dont like too much 'eye candy' )
2. dm1, ctf2, ctf1
3. ctf, dm - 1 on 1
4. i dont like instagib

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

1. that thing which makes you saying its funny/nice can be all u imagene form style to gameplay
2. dm1 , mario_airship(only on the jump run servers cause of the rockets fired frm the tiles), ctf2
3. ctf and 1o1

1. Well looking and well balanced maps. Not to narrow but not to open ether (to open maps generates to high velocity mainly in CTF).

2. DM1, DM6, Crossroads

3. DM or CTF (vanilla, not that darn instagib!)

Used to be very active waay back

1. Wellbalanced, good-looking and made by me smile

2. DM1. CTF2 is good too, but I want the snow back... also, ofcource I have to be biased and selfish and say ctf_desert1 and dm_forest1.

3. Vanilla DM or at times Vanilla CTF.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

8 (edited by Dreamy 2008-06-28 15:34:30)

1. A good map provides interesting possibilities of how to play. Visibility is very important too, it should be intuitive what is ground and what is not etc, which is why the map called Lost completely horrifies me (how can people like that??). Balance is of course implied in interesting, but it doesn´t need to be the usual balance. When I make a map I try to make it a bit different.

Also, when there´s no real reason not to, it´s good if a map make movement as conveniant as possible.

2. favorites: ctf_desert1, dm1, dm2, dm6

crossroads deserves a mention. Not a favorite, but I havn´t seen any other good large ctf maps so... (yes, I think ctf2 is bad, too hard to defend the flags and too many places to run)

First impression is that I kinda like desertcamp, only map where instagib ctf truly makes sense to me.

3. vanilla dm, vanilla dm 1on1 and vanilla ctf.

"2. favorites: ctf_desert1" <3

Yeh, I think too that there is a lack of really good ctf maps. Many maps are close to hitting it, but I fail to see a really good ctf map. ctf2 works if the players are good enough to understand that defence is needed, buyt if playing with not-that-good players it totally sucks. Yeh, desertcamp is nice, especiall with the (unreleased) clan arena-mod.

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

@Chi11y & Dreamy, if you both believe that there is a lack of good CTF maps, then you should try helping mappers by post comments/suggests when mappers ask for help, rather than complain there is nothing good!

eg: http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1658

"looks nice" is a postive comment, but it doesn't help improve the gameplay...

@Dreamy, I like your comment about Lost, it is rather annoying not knowing which columns you can climb and which you can't...