1 (edited by Roanoke 2008-06-05 04:21:41)

Topic: Mod protest

I don't like this forum's attitude of "If you can't mod, don't mod". I can only mod because I have experience with progging, but I don't know c++. Some people don't even have that. So, I think people should help people. I am not advocating the "Make this for me" type posts, just the "Can you help me with this" type. If people use the Socratic method and are patient with others, we could add a lot of fresh blood to the mod community and get some great results.

That's the part I can help with. The other part is the possibility of having a standalone forum dedicated to mods. I don't care where, but I think that there is more likelihood of it not being on the teeworlds site. There, people could post their mods in one category, post questions in another, and post advice or something in the third. This would of course require for someone to make a website, which usually includes forking over money.

So what do you guys think about my opinions and ideas? Feel free to comment here.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

Re: Mod protest

Your opinion is that we need to help the guys that want to make a mod? I think you're correct with this, with some exception: what if nobody like that mod?

Well if no one likes it, then there is a lesson to be learned there. And that problem exists even now so it won't really be a change. And you can't know the reaction to a mod before it's made. Sure you can hypothesize, but you can't know.

deny_post($poster);

I don't know nothing about c++ but i'm making mod.
Modding is easy if you know how to programming you just have to understand how its work and modify it

Right. I understand that. But lots of people don't know how to prog. Shouldn't these people be helped?

deny_post($poster);

You should have some experience in programming before start modding. Google for "c++ tutorial" and spen a few hours there, and one should get the idea at least. Then you can start asking, in my opinion.

Used to be very active waay back

Yeah, and what about questions then? Some of my questions have been unanswered for months now. Of course, I solved them eventually, but that feels a little aggravating.

deny_post($poster);

that's the key... try it yourself. It feels nice when you solved a problem alone. And firearrrow is right, how do you expect how to run if you cant even walk? I know it can be a hard comment for you, but this is right. Also, c++ is not difficult, you can read the source code and understand it... i learned c++, delphi, html, php, mysql just by looking source codes

@netomx
Jack of all trades, master of none. You "learned" them, but you have not mastered them. The only way to master a language is with a guide, animate (a person) or inanimate (a book).
While you may be able to learn things looking at code, not everyone can do that. That's like Einstein expecting everyone to be able to write the theory of relativity. Sure, it may feel better, but sometimes the desire to just solve a problem and move on outweighs that feeling. Doesn't anyone agree? Netomx seemed to be a supporter, then changed his/her mind.

deny_post($poster);

i think firearrow and netomx are right. it is a really great feeling if you worked on a program or mod for weeks or month and then finsh it. And i think you can try to learn some basic programming things through a guide and then try to understand the code. If you have questions about some parts of the code you can ask, but i think some basic skills should be there before starting a mod.

I agree, but again I have had some questions unanswered for months on end. This is not exactly beneficial.

deny_post($poster);