Topic: Cheating....

I know cheating isn't a pressing issue right now, but when (not if) the game will grow bigger (like CS, unreal tournament, wow, etc...;)) and if you release the scource code it might be? hmm

Repeating line at the top right corner of your screen:
RallyHagge!  ( ••)   ?????  ( ><) Your name

Re: Cheating....

Honestly I don't care if anybody cheats provided that they can be kicked and banned out of the server. Any cheater can be quickly recognised.
This presses the need of better administrator capabilities. Also I suggest adding a map/kickvote joint window that can be opened at any time during the game - Unreal Tournament has such mod and it works very well.
If somebody cheats in a way that is not recognisable, I don't care too because he will easily(or not) die from my doings. :-)
Cheers,
Ergo

The proxy of death / noWai!

True. lol

Kick, ip banning and voting are coming (not in 0.3.0 however). And yes, it will be easier to make cheats if the source is released but it also removes the challenge that hackers want, so that leaves immature people with source code that they don't know shit about smile.

Starting to code stuff that prevents cheating is almost always a loosing battle. It's better not to waste time on that and put the time on making a great game instead. At least right now.

I do hope you really think the kickvote through, wouldn't want to be kicked from servers just because the other players are getting crushed and sulking.

If someone really cheats, they should report the violator to the server admin.

Slayer

It's hammering time!

6 (edited by RallyHagge! 2007-12-10 16:45:34)

Slayer wrote:

I do hope you really think the kickvote through, wouldn't want to be kicked from servers just because the other players are getting crushed and sulking.

Lol. Yeah, the n00bs really hate me too. lol
That's why I think there can be a "n00bs only" server option. Players who score all too well will get kicked. (Personally I don't give a damn lol)

GAME OVER

20 -tt- RallyHagge!  <-- Kick!
    6 nameless tee
    4 nameless tee
    3 nameless tee
    3 nameless tee

Rally, killing nameless tees is no fun, better kill me. tongue (and I kill you!)

The proxy of death / noWai!

RallyHagge! wrote:

That's why I think there can be a "n00bs only" server option. Players who score all too well will get kicked.

I don't think there is a need for that. It's no fun killing n00bs like that, so you will leave anyway wink

Used to be very active waay back

FireArrow wrote:
RallyHagge! wrote:

That's why I think there can be a "n00bs only" server option. Players who score all too well will get kicked.

I don't think there is a need for that. It's no fun killing n00bs like that, so you will leave anyway wink

I was speaking on the behalf of the n00bs themselves. THEY don't like to be pushed around by pro's. lol

oh... you meant it like that... tongue

Used to be very active waay back

As long as the server decides what weapons, ammo and where the player is (so no unlimited ammo, sword or movement hacks) then the only cheats that are possible should be autoaim/trigger?

12 (edited by RallyHagge! 2007-12-16 20:05:14)

I dont think the server decides that... Correct me if it does.
I know the server wont complain if you get a super long grappling hook anyway...

AutoAim shoud be pretty bad too. Speaking of wich: Where did the promised sniper rifle go, matricks?

It got cut in the end. Too little time.

The server is in command of everything. The client can't decide sh*t other then the control input to the server.

I'm very, very glad to hear that smile

There's a free kart racing game we support on ESL (KartRider) which has unlimited item cheats and map hacks... <3 clueless coders