Topic: Looking for MT_race.map download

Hey,
I went on a server and played MT_race.map, which was fun. Now I want to play that map in my own LAN server. But I can't find the actual map. I've googled + searched this forum, but nothing!! :S

Also, why is it that whenever I download a map from a server, it downloads it even if I have previously downloaded it?

ie in my Application Data\Teeworlds\maps folder I have:

MT_race_b2ec45c7.map
MT_race_dcfdd615.map
MT_race_f300d4a0.map

But they are all the same map...

I've tried copying one of those .map files into my normal data/maps folder, then renaming it to MT_race, but it doesn't work.

Thanks in advance!

Re: Looking for MT_race.map download

That should work.
What didn't work anyway? Didn't the server start, or doesn't it recognize the map (and use dm1 as default)?

Please explain the problem a little more specific.

Used to be very active waay back

Ah whoops. The reason the map wasn't loading was because I was using a regular server, opposed to race. It works fine with the race server.

However, I still don't understand why I need to RE-download the custom map from the server everytime I play (with a custom map).

For example, I joined a server with some random custom map. It was downloaded from the server when I connected to it. Then I disconnected and later on I played agian on the same server, with the same map, but for some reason it downloaded the map again, even though I had previously downloaded it off the server. Why is this? Even though i've done it previously, it just does it again.

Cheers!

Are you sure the map haven't been changed on the server?

The "extra" added to the mapname when downloaded from a server are a checksum of the map, to make sure you get the same version as played on the server.
Map change => checksum change => map re-downloaded

FireArrow wrote:

Are you sure the map haven't been changed on the server?

The "extra" added to the mapname when downloaded from a server are a checksum of the map, to make sure you get the same version as played on the server.
Map change => checksum change => map re-downloaded

Hmm... Strange. I connected to the same server. I figured it out... The maps are different. But just not by much, like only a few bytes different. How odd!

Why not when you download a map off a server, it automatically is placed into the normal maps folder, like in any Quake/Source engine game?

Many thanks for the info, you're been very helpful! smile

It do like this to prevent conflicts. Say person A creates and host him map "mymap", and person B creates a map he calls "mymap", and host it on his own server. Without checksums, strange things would happen (like back in the old days, before custom maps were supported). Now, the client senses that it is two different maps, and treat them separately.