1 (edited by android272 2015-10-19 20:49:13)

Topic: Revamp Hooks [With Source Files]

I would like to suggest some improvements to the look and feel of the hooks.

Hooks in Teeworlds are very stiff and move through objects when in the real world they would bend around the object it were to hit. 

I think it would look a lot better if the chain were to have actual links that could pivot and bend as they hit objects on the Game layer.

Show Off Hook

The hooks are put together like the tee skins are.  There is the color layer and the shadow layer. The first and last block move 16 px in on the second block and the second block goes on top of the two blocks.  The yellow dots are the pivot points.

Hook Explain

I wanted only to see what the default chain would look like but what a rope hook and razor hook would look like.

Chain Hook
Rope Hook
Razor Hook

The source files can be found in any of the following links, it does not matter which one you click on they all have the same source file in them.  Chain Hook, Rope Hook, Razor Hook. There is a green download button on the right side of the page.
________________________________________________________________________________
License: Creative Commons License - Attribution - Commercial use - Share Alike (CC BY 4.0)
TL;DR:

CAN:                             CANNOT:            MUST:
Commercial Use          Sublicense         Give Credit
Distribute                                                  Include Copyright
Modify                                                       State Changes
Rename

Note: I don't care too much about giving me credit or that you state changes as much as this copy right must stay with what ever is copied or modified.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Re: Revamp Hooks [With Source Files]

Amazing, just like all your other ideas.

Why isn't this there yet ._.

privet

Because, it will change the whole gameplay.
There is physics on the hook. Bendind the hook means change the physics or make graphics and physics inconsistent.

Btw, personnaly, in "source files", I understand source code. So I m a bit disappointed, but it may be only me. big_smile

Anyway, I like the graphics, but I cant imagine it in the gameplay.

You really have great ideas, how do you even come up with them? ^^

I guess if we changed gameplay to match this, physics would be totally different (perhaps we should try this, jsut for the fun of it?^^).

And if we don't, the graphics might look weird? Perhaps we should also try that, just to get a better feeling of it.

Nice idea, as always! I think I've seen it before though, but it must've been long ago.

I would also advocate some experimentation, like heinrich said. Hard to judge how it would play out in actual gamplay without trying around a bit (regardless of it being purely visual or also affecting the physics).
I also really like the look of your rope hook!

Btw: Congrats on your belief! smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Basically, with this hook, you dont want to be able to revolve around a small platform. You cant' be stuck, since the hook pull according to its chain instead of the hook point.

Thanks for the nice comments.

rand() wrote:

Btw, personnaly, in "source files", I understand source code. So I m a bit disappointed, but it may be only me. big_smile

Sorry about this. Should I change it to Art Source Files?

heinrich5991 wrote:

You really have great ideas, how do you even come up with them? ^^

I guess if we changed gameplay to match this, physics would be totally different (perhaps we should try this, jsut for the fun of it?^^).

And if we don't, the graphics might look weird? Perhaps we should also try that, just to get a better feeling of it.

Thank you.  I just come at it with an artistic mind. This game is mostly perfect,  there are a few things here and there that could be fixed or added, but most of my problems are the design of a few things.  I have a lot of ideas on how to make Teeworlds look better,  I just try to present them in a highly graphical why so that people can see my ideas.  I could make the same post with out them and the impact would not be as great.

JonastheRoman wrote:

Nice idea, as always! I think I've seen it before though, but it must've been long ago.

I would also advocate some experimentation, like heinrich said. Hard to judge how it would play out in actual gamplay without trying around a bit (regardless of it being purely visual or also affecting the p

rand() wrote:

Basically, with this hook, you dont want to be able to revolve around a small platform. You cant' be stuck, since the hook pull according to its chain instead of the hook point.

hysics).
I also really like the look of your rope hook!

Btw: Congrats on your belief! smile

I posted this in the Sticky: [SUGGESTION] Ideas for the next version thread a while back but I did not go into this much detail.

rand() wrote:

I think it would be funny to see a tee wrapped around a small one by one tile.

I think that this definitely would need some playing around with.  Someone should give it a try and send me a link to test it smile

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

I bet ddracers would loooove this idea hahahaha yea let's try dragging people around tiles

This would change physics so much, you'll probably only be able to have a new mod idea out of it.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Why it'll change gameplay? For me, it would be cosmetic change. Without any changes in physics for sure. Now hook just goes through blocks, but it could work like on screenshots tongue

Savander wrote:

Why it'll change gameplay? For me, it would be cosmetic change. Without any changes in physics for sure. Now hook just goes through blocks, but it could work like on screenshots tongue

How could the chain go through blocks and still look like my image?

11 (edited by Orangus 2015-10-31 23:46:02)

• How would gameplay look? There is Worms: Armageddon(by Team17), very old but still played, and there are some servers where players using hook freaking good.

• It would eliminate all(but basic, where is no hooking through) hooking skills players have, and will force them to start learn again for the new physics. As said above, ddracers won't like it, coz this would kill ddrace(as it is), you probably noticed that most players are on ddraces servers, so don't expect a big "wow nice, I'd really like to play it" from real players, but rather a big "lame bullshit, I hate it so much, but not as much as you!!! go and **** ******** ******* *****".

• Current system hooking only affecting player velocity, with a value which is depending on direction and distance to the hooked point, pretty simple, isn't it? But with collision checking, long hooking(which happens really often, not on just ddrace servers) would take more time to compute, and will decrease performance. Attempts to decrease collisions points to decrease computations and increase perfomance, would just produce glitches and bugs, which are not better than lags.

So I believe this will never be added to vanilla teeworlds, even as an optional sv_use_ropelike_hooks.
Maybe in some mod...

android272 wrote:

Easily, in gameplay, physics would be the same, but it would draw hooks as they are wrapped, sure, bugs and glitches included!

Orange is my faver color.
Orange and tangerine is my faver fruit.
I never get stuff done, just coz I'm lazy.

Orangus wrote:
  • How would gameplay look? There is Worms: Armageddon(by Team17), very old but still played, and there are some servers where players using hook freaking good.

• It would eliminate all(but basic, where is no hooking through) hooking skills players have, and will force them to start learn again for the new physics. As said above, ddracers won't like it, coz this would kill ddrace(as it is), you probably noticed that most players are on ddraces servers, so don't expect a big "wow nice, I'd really like to play it" from real players, but rather a big "lame bullshit, I hate it so much, but not as much as you!!! go and **** ******** ******* *****".

• Current system hooking only affecting player velocity, with a value which is depending on direction and distance to the hooked point, pretty simple, isn't it? But with collision checking, long hooking(which happens really often, not on just ddrace servers) would take more time to compute, and will decrease performance. Attempts to decrease collisions points to decrease computations and increase perfomance, would just produce glitches and bugs, which are not better than lags.

So I believe this will never be added to vanilla teeworlds, even as an optional sv_use_ropelike_hooks.
Maybe in some mod...

android272 wrote:

Easily, in gameplay, physics would be the same, but it would draw hooks as they are wrapped, sure, bugs and glitches included!

We can hopefully still experiment with things without fearing instant backlash just because we're *thinking* about changing physics. smile

I doubt performance of this would be any issue.

13 (edited by 2015-11-02 04:08:58)

Orangus wrote:

Yah I guess it could be like Hedgewars or Worms.  The chain would grow the further the Tee moves away from the chains hit point.  It would be cool if you could climb up and down the chain like in Hedgewars as well but that is for a different post.

Orangus wrote:

Yah I can see how this could make people mad.  But as people have pointed out and I discuss further below I now think this could be done without changing the games hook physics.

Orangus wrote:

This could always be a client side graphical thing.  There could be a switch to go back to the look of the old hooks.  This way people who like it can play with it on, and people who do not like it or can not play the game with it on can turn it off.

Orangus wrote:

Maybe in some mod...

android272 wrote:

I now understand how you could keep the physics as they are today.  In the image below the yellow circle represents the maximum distance the tee can be away from the spot where the hook hits.  The Green line shows how the chain physics are today. The pink line shows the angle of the hook when it hits an object.  This feature could be in such a way that the physics do not change but the chain still looks like it is warping around tiles.  There are two problems that I think would break this realism however and that is shown in the next two sections. 

Currently the Tee moves toward the chains hit point until it reaches it or the Tee can not move any further because of tiles that are in the way.  This is not a problem when the player can see that the chain has gone through the wall.  But if the old chain were to become transparent and a new chain would wrap around tiles it would make these situations look odd.  Imagine you can not see the green or pink lines...  Why don't the Tees fall?  Why does gravity now pull them down so that they are dangling from the chain where it bends off the edge?  These physics would seem to be odd.  Not game physics but real (Tee)world physics.

hook]

heinrich5991 wrote:
Orangus wrote:

Maybe in some mod...

android272 wrote:

We can hopefully still experiment with things without fearing instant backlash just because we're *thinking* about changing physics. smile

I doubt performance of this would be any issue.

Yes I hope some experiments at least be tried before a feature just flat out get denied.  This could completely work without chainging the physics and improve the look of the game.

If only affects to visual it is ugly because you see that the "force" comes from one site, when the "server force" comes from other different site...

unsigned char* wrote:

If only affects to visual it is ugly because you see that the "force" comes from one site, when the "server force" comes from other different site...

What???

16 (edited by Orangus 2015-11-02 10:48:27)

andoid272 wrote:

Imagine you can not see the green or pink lines...  Why don't the Tees fall?  Why does gravity now pull them down so that they are dangling from the chain where it bends off the edge?  These physics would seem to be odd.  Not game physics but real (Tee)world physics.
hook]

Well, there are some materials in real life that could behave like on the third image you posted, but this is just nitpicking...

As I was saying,

Orangus wrote:

unsigned char* wrote:

unsigned char *, client won't handle "wrapping" physics for the gameplay, it would only draw it, the current hook physics would be used on the client side as well.

android272 wrote:
unsigned char* wrote:

What???

By "site" he meant side.

17 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-11-02 11:37:38)

android272 wrote:
unsigned char* wrote:

What???

He means a thing like in your middle picture:
Nowadays the Tee would "stick" to the wall, because he get's pulled towards it.
With the new hook the Tee should - by the looks of it - get pulled down instead by the rope, and then around the corner so he finally hangs on the other side.
If the new hook would be purely cosmetical, it would feel very strange if the Tee still sticks to the wall, like in that example.

--

Your fresh look of the rope gave me another idea: The new rope could be used as a power up. It would have different physics than the old one and on pickup you would be able to use it for a limited time, like the katana.
It could give you some extra movement possibilities, which we'd have to think about first.
An example could be, that you could bend your hook around edges by moving in the opposite direction and then let yourself be pulled by the rope. That way, you could accelerate yourself by a fair bit. This would be an alternative to the grenade, which doesn't cost you any health and has a stronger effect than the normal hook.
Just some brainstorming. smile

Edit: On the other side, the physics would look inconsistent that way, as one hook still moves trough tiles and the other one doesn't.

It's possible to compute collision without decreasing performance using corners of the maps. So that would not be an issue.
@android272: However, this change needs a modded server AND a modded client to work.

19 (edited by 2015-11-02 15:47:22)

rand() wrote:

It's possible to compute collision without decreasing performance using corners of the maps. So that would not be an issue.
@android272: However, this change needs a modded server AND a modded client to work.

Yes it would have to be a server and client side change, but what I was saying is if the physics do not change then it could be the client that renders the hooks.  That way when I play I could have it turned on, and if someone who does not like it or does not have a computer that can handle it they can turn it off.  Kinda like how far you can see in Minecraft.  If you game is running slow you can turn it off and go back to the classic hooks.

JonastheRoman wrote:
android272 wrote:
unsigned char* wrote:

What???

He means a thing like in your middle picture:
Nowadays the Tee would "stick" to the wall, because he get's pulled towards it.
With the new hook the Tee should - by the looks of it - get pulled down instead by the rope, and then around the corner so he finally hangs on the other side.
If the new hook would be purely cosmetical, it would feel very strange if the Tee still sticks to the wall, like in that example.

--

Your fresh look of the rope gave me another idea: The new rope could be used as a power up. It would have different physics than the old one and on pickup you would be able to use it for a limited time, like the katana.
It could give you some extra movement possibilities, which we'd have to think about first.
An example could be, that you could bend your hook around edges by moving in the opposite direction and then let yourself be pulled by the rope. That way, you could accelerate yourself by a fair bit. This would be an alternative to the grenade, which doesn't cost you any health and has a stronger effect than the normal hook.
Just some brainstorming. smile

Edit: On the other side, the physics would look inconsistent that way, as one hook still moves trough tiles and the other one doesn't.

I don't know how often this happens but it would look strange when it does.  The hook could disappear from the other side of the wall and move to the side the Tee is on.  This way it looks as though the Tee grabbed the wall and let go of the hook.  It could still be "hooked" to the other side of the wall with the invisible old hook, but just redraw the new hook when these situations happen.  I think that would be the best way to explain away why you connect to the walls. 

If you are more than a tile away when from the hook hit spot when and you stop before reaching the hit spot the hook would redraw from the Tee to the nearest wall as if they were to hook it.  What do you all think about that?

It would have to resound the sound that plays when then hook hits something so the player would know that the Tee rebooked to grab the wall.

20 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-11-02 16:44:05)

That would work, but I don't think it would be a good solution. I think it would be too inconsistent. For example, if you get pushed on the other side again (e.g. by an explosion), the Tee would have to re-hook the old spot again.
While it would only be an audiovisual change, it still conveys the impression that something actually changes. AND - more importantly - that the Tee actually does this solely on his own, while normally everything the Tee does is controlled by the player.
I don't know, it just feels too weird to my taste.

I think it would be cooler to introduce new physics along with the new hook, but in the end we just have to try out how it all would actually play out.

JonastheRoman wrote:

That would work, but I don't think it would be a good solution. I think it would be too inconsistent. For example, if you get pushed on the other side again (e.g. by an explosion), the Tee would have to re-hook the old spot again.
While it would only be an audiovisual change, it still conveys the impression that something actually changes. AND - more importantly - that the Tee actually does this solely on his own, while normally everything the Tee does is controlled by the player.
I don't know, it just feels too weird to my taste.

I think it would be cooler to introduce new physics along with the new hook, but in the end we just have to try out how it all would actually play out.

It was just a suggestion.  You are right though there are situations where the Tee will get pushed back to the other side.  The player can even do it.  I think we need to see it to determine whether or not it can work. Then it can be tweaked a bit.  I just don't know how else to do it and keep the same physics. 

Anyone have any ideas?

android272 wrote:
unsigned char* wrote:

What???

Sry xDD i try it tongue... if you like not touch the current physics you have this issue no?
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30566237/wwww.png

unsigned char* wrote:
android272 wrote:
unsigned char* wrote:

What???

Sry xDD i try it tongue... if you like not touch the current physics you have this issue no?
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30566237/wwww.png

Yes I guess expectation is an issue with this.

24 (edited by Orangus 2015-11-03 10:24:18)

JonastheRoman wrote:

I would say, if you wanna something special besides wrapableness, then make it 100% like in Worms.
So you control rope length by Up & Down, if you rope up, and won't press anything, you would just bandle there, and if you rope the floor while being in air, you wouldn't getting close, instead of this, the rope would work like a stick.
Yes, the rope in worms, isn't actually rope, it's more like a wrappable stick.

rand() wrote:

It is just an optimized way, the lenght of the hook would still affect the performance.