76 (edited by Slinack 2015-11-21 20:16:00)

Re: [TILESET] Japanese Temple [With Source Files] officially pimped

I'd argue tees must be unable to flip their feet tongue

unless they are upside down. that must make an interesting statue

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

77 (edited by android272 2015-11-22 22:31:39)

Landil wrote:

My guess is that it magically turns into a black furry ninja kitty .

Really? wink

Landil wrote:

Well, we do have a ninja kitty. AFAIK the difference between a ninja and a samurai is that ninjas were mercenarys and samurais were nearly the same, just from the upper class.

I think ninjas were silent assassins where as samurais were solders.  As for army vs mercenaries / upper vs lower class I don't know.

Landil wrote:

Nah, the proportions of x_ninja is different. We can make them white, sure. But we need to make sure it fits to the other tilesets (for compatibility reasons wink).

Ok they are a bit smaller?

Landil wrote:

The graphic shows you how I work to create one result. And that's what I did for a community tileset. Regarding an official tileset I do have higher demands. Besides you did not copy exactly the feet I did.
1. The shapes differ slightly
2. You put them in front of the gray platform
3. You added unreal shading

In addition I made a non-teeish graphic. It's a panda bear wich has a body and a head. It was supposed as an inspiration for a community tileset. This is a no-go for an official tileset!

Sometimes even very minor differences can change the whole appearance. Teeish feet are IMHO one of the most difficult parts of tees. To make them look good I need to experiment a lot.

Ok my feets were slightly different then yours whats the big deal, of course they are going to be slightly different.  The tees feets can't hang slightly off the edgh

Landil wrote:

Yeah, here comes the part that really sucks. Tee hands cannot really be copy pasted for doodads. Why? It's always been that way, I dunno why. I've done countless tee graphics and whenever you use the original shapes it will suck. Really!

I think it really depends on the perspective of the hands and feet. If the statues hands or feet are in the same perspective then they can be copied.  They should be made in different perspectives but that is not to say that you could not ever make a statue that is in the same perspective as the player.

Landil wrote:

The contrast is quite high. A high contrast should only be used for the game layer.

Can't everything I am doing be placed in the game layer?

Landil wrote:

I don't understand why you think my last statue looked flat as I think the new statue looks too flat, and so does the jungle and winter statues.

The winter statue looks flat due to historical reasons. Compare it to the original one and you will see that we improved it. We won't rework all tilesets with every update so we need keep the same style. This means every new tileset has to adopt the current teeworlds style. Otherwise we will have lots of different styles and this totally sucks. As long as I am responsible for the graphics this won't happen. smile

When we did the jungle tileset rework we did not make one graphic for one idea. Everyone made one or two mockups. Then we discussed the graphics. Which one is the most teeish? Why is it teeish? Which part is not teeish and how can we improve it? So step by step we found a solution which we all considered to be teeish. (Keep in mind that Crises, Zatline and I are self educated "artists",  we did not study it)

OK, this makes since.  All I am saying is that there should be some detail put into the sets.  I agree that too much detail will look bad, the original jungle statue did have way too much detail.  I still think there are ways to add detail in a more simpler way that still portrays what the artist is trying to show.  For example the current jungle statue is filled with tiny cracks. Even though this may be a bit blurry in game it shows that this statue is very old and ruined. To take these little details out of the tile set would in my opinion destroy the set.  Now some of these things could be done better and a little more simplified for example the broken wood planks in the fence. This could be done a bit more simply but if you take out the little bits of tan then the planks will look awful.

http://s21.postimg.org/4lv8brd5z/ellipse8922.png

Landil wrote:

So what happens if I work on that statue. Well first of all I'd copy the last approach of the statue I did for the panda theme. The base needs a little modification (less details). Then I'd take the x_ninja body. Add the ninja eyes. I experimented with the meditation position of the feet and hands until they look okay. Then I will add some details. Which one looks best.

http://i.solidfiles.net/57e389e484.png
Is this teeish? I do not know. I will sleep over it a couple of days. If I am satisfied, then I will sleep another day over it. ... And then if I really like it, then I'm glad wink

1. I prolly need to check the colors. My goal is to use as few colors as possible.
2. Maybe he feet need some shading (But it's pretty hard to do some good looking shading)
3 ... tbc...

NEXT TRY:

... http://i.solidfiles.net/742dfb8a77.png

I actually like this.  I Took your statue and split it up so that people could build all four statues.  There is room for one or two variations.

Japanese_Temple

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Two things which came two my mind.
1. At the panda theme I suggested elliptical shapes for the bonsais. But here we use circles, too. Maybe you should check If circle based bonsai trees look better. Prolly it will, as the cherry blossoms are circular, too.
2. I cannot check at this place, but the statue should be compatible to the other tilesets. Which means it should be possible to set the owl on this base and vice Versa the ninja on a swamp base. So it could be possible that u need to adjust the base.

Besides keep up asking questions and doubting my words.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

79 (edited by 2015-11-23 09:14:10)

Landil wrote:

Two things which came two my mind.
1. At the panda theme I suggested elliptical shapes for the bonsais. But here we use circles, too. Maybe you should check If circle based bonsai trees look better. Prolly it will, as the cherry blossoms are circular, too.

I mean I could do it but I don't think the trees should be round just because everything in the world is round.  The pine trees in the winter doodad aren't round because that would would not look like a pine tree. Also circles can be a common architectural theme in the world but that does not mean that nature plays by the same rules.

Landil wrote:

2. I cannot check at this place, but the statue should be compatible to the other tilesets. Which means it should be possible to set the owl on this base and vice Versa the ninja on a swamp base. So it could be possible that u need to adjust the base.

Umm well OK... I did not know this was a requirement for statures.  I just checked and the owl and the tee from the jungle are in a position which they could be put on another base.  The winter statue would need to be modified and moved down a bit to work but the color of the state is off for both the jungle set and this one.  I don't think the winter statues color should be changed as it is a cooler color, and since it is for a winter set it should be cooler.  Also I don't think it would look good to mix and match statues, or at least the jungle and Japanese statues should not.  I think it is a good idea to make statues in a way that they could be interchanged.  But when making a map I guess you have to think about where in the world the statue exists.  You would not see a ninja or a samurai statue in the jungles of South America which I assume is where the jungle tile sets are modles after and visa versa.

Landil wrote:

Besides keep up asking questions and doubting my words.

Will do smile

Also I forgot, should I add the line in the middle of the x_ninja skin?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

android272 wrote:

I mean I could do it but I don't think the trees should be round just because everything in the world is round.  The pine trees in the winter doodad aren't round because that would would not look like a pine tree. Also circles can be a common architectural theme in the world but that does not mean that nature plays by the same rules.

XD No need to argue. IMHO they look more bonsai with cirlces. The elliptoid was just a suggestion as the panda theme used them for the bamboo. I prefer the circles.

Umm well OK... I did not know this was a requirement for statures.  I just checked and the owl and the tee from the jungle are in a position which they could be put on another base.  The winter statue would need to be modified and moved down a bit to work but the color of the state is off for both the jungle set and this one.  I don't think the winter statues color should be changed as it is a cooler color, and since it is for a winter set it should be cooler.  Also I don't think it would look good to mix and match statues, or at least the jungle and Japanese statues should not.  I think it is a good idea to make statues in a way that they could be interchanged.  But when making a map I guess you have to think about where in the world the statue exists.  You would not see a ninja or a samurai statue in the jungles of South America which I assume is where the jungle tile sets are modles after and visa versa.

The more compatible the tilesets are the more we will get an uniform look. When I did the first jungle tileset I even wanted to standardize the placement of the doodads so people could replace the tileset just by replacing the pngs. I <3 standards and compatibility. Look at the jungle night dm map. it combines the grass AND the jungle theme / tiles.

Landil wrote:

Also I forgot, should I add the line in the middle of the x_ninja skin?

Yes big_smile

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

81 (edited by 2015-11-23 18:28:33)

Landil wrote:

XD No need to argue. IMHO they look more bonsai with cirlces. The elliptoid was just a suggestion as the panda theme used them for the bamboo. I prefer the circles.

Im not trying to argue im just stating my opinion.  The vast majority of the bonsai trees that I have see seem to be some sort of pine tree with needles.  I have seen some with little leaves like oak trees but the majority of them have needles.  I can try out the circles I just wanted to point out the pine tree. Some variety might be good.

Landil wrote:

The more compatible the tilesets are the more we will get an uniform look. When I did the first jungle tileset I even wanted to standardize the placement of the doodads so people could replace the tileset just by replacing the pngs. I <3 standards and compatibility. Look at the jungle night dm map. it combines the grass AND the jungle theme / tiles.

That is fine and I agree that the statues should be fairly slandered and interchangeable.  but I just don't think a ninja on the jungle base or the tribes men on the oriental base will look good.  There might be more statues in the future that will look good when you change around their bases just not these two examples.  Ultimately it is up to the map maker who wants to interchange them,  I can't tell them what to do.

I traced the line from the ninja skin... I don't really like it.. maybe it is the color. also the statue base on the right is one tile high so the Tee can be put on another statue. What do you think?  If you mess with the height of the statue much then the other statue peaces get messed up.   All though I could move the three rocks and the bamboo water thing around to make more room for them.

http://s22.postimg.org/qzgc7kvpd/Selection_009.png

android272 wrote:

Im not trying to argue im just stating my opinion.  The vast majority of the bonsai trees that I have see seem to be some sort of pine tree with needles.  I have seen some with little leaves like oak trees but the majority of them have needles.  I can try out the circles I just wanted to point out the pine tree. Some variety might be good.

I meant argue in the sense of using arguments.
If you have a closer look at perfect bonsais you will see that you do not really recognize the leaves. The shape is dominant:
http://40.media.tumblr.com/2fed2776991fec83f47df635124f1717/tumblr_nezd1hsyyD1u3xl0yo1_1280.jpg
(The image is from herons of bonsai. Click on the image to jump to the source post on tumblr.com)

That is fine and I agree that the statues should be fairly slandered and interchangeable.  but I just don't think a ninja on the jungle base or the tribes men on the oriental base will look good.

Map makers are very creative and combine graphics you do not think they will or can do.

I traced the line from the ninja skin... I don't really like it.. maybe it is the color.

Yes. This does not look good. Try to move it down or give it a small cut out. Try to change the color(?) ... uhmmm ... If it still sucks remove it big_smile

also the statue base on the right is one tile high so the Tee can be put on another statue. What do you think?  If you mess with the height of the statue much then the other statue peaces get messed up.   All though I could move the three rocks and the bamboo water thing around to make more room for them.

Nah, no bamboo. Indeed this is the part of creating graphics which sucks most. A good looking statue is done in a couple of minutes. Optimizing a statue to the restrictions of a tileset and regarding other tilesets that's what takes a lot of time. Be creative! Find a way to make it looking good AND following the given restrictions big_smile *lol*

http://s22.postimg.org/qzgc7kvpd/Selection_009.png

83 (edited by android272 2015-11-25 19:38:41)

Landil wrote:

I meant argue in the sense of using arguments.
If you have a closer look at perfect bonsais you will see that you do not really recognize the leaves. The shape is dominant:

Ok I will try it out.

Landil wrote:

Map makers are very creative and combine graphics you do not think they will or can do.

I was just say that it would look weird for these to be mixed. Map makers can do what ever they want I can't stop them from mixing statue bases.  I just don't think these two should be mixed.

Landil wrote:

Yes. This does not look good. Try to move it down or give it a small cut out. Try to change the color(?) ... uhmmm ... If it still sucks remove it big_smile

Nah, no bamboo. Indeed this is the part of creating graphics which sucks most. A good looking statue is done in a couple of minutes. Optimizing a statue to the restrictions of a tileset and regarding other tilesets that's what takes a lot of time. Be creative! Find a way to make it looking good AND following the given restrictions big_smile *lol*

Yah I agree this does not look good at all.

http://s22.postimg.org/5lyy3xeoh/984affad94.png

http://pre03.deviantart.net/14a3/th/pre/f/2015/329/4/7/teeworlds_japanese_temple_by_android272-d9d7wh8.png

http://pre05.deviantart.net/054c/th/pre/f/2015/329/9/1/japanese_trees_by_android272-d9gp2uf.png

You ZIP file seems to contain only trees, no the rest of the tileset: http://android272.deviantart.com/art/Te … a_recent=1

85 (edited by android272 2017-01-19 06:49:50)

necropotame wrote:

You ZIP file seems to contain only trees, no the rest of the tileset: http://android272.deviantart.com/art/Te … a_recent=1

Hhh.... That sucks I will fix that.

I don't seem to have these file anymore... I have the old versions but not the newest version that is currently seen on my DeviantArt. If anyone has the SVG files and could send them to me that would be great. Mybe Landil has them.

Wow

Hello, I need help, how can I create a mod?

4TB|Daniel wrote:

Wow

Thanks. Don't know what happend with making this offical, but that was going to happen.

Very good work here! wink

unsigned char* wrote:

Very good work here! wink

Thank!