51 (edited by 2015-11-12 02:11:32)

Re: [TILESET] Japanese Temple [With Source Files] officially pimped

I changed my mind about having a red and blue set.  I removed the trees so that I could make room for the blue set. I will upload the Japanese Trees doodad soon.

I changed the second statues also to make room. Now both statues have two selves.

I added a new section to the building right above the statues.  These sections allow you to add a second story to the temple. Which is also how many Japanese temples are built.

I still have some room for more objects if anyone can think of anything.

Japanese_Temple

I started looking up Bonsai trees and found that they are not a type of tree but an artistic way to grow trees.  Bonsai is a process of stunting the growth of a tree and forcing it to grow in strange and beautiful ways.  Kinda neat.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

52 (edited by android272 2015-11-15 01:34:03)

Here is the new trees doodads.  Taking the cherry blossom trees out of the Japanese Temple doodads not only gave me room for the blue teams buildings but it also gave me room for bonsai trees.  I tried to make them like like the panda bonsai trees with more variations.

Japanese_Trees

Also I modified the temple second story sections, the statue, and the fences.  When you loaded them in the game they did not look right and I fixed them.

Japanese_Temple

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

android272 wrote:

Also I modified the temple second story sections, the statue, and the fences.  When you loaded them in the game they did not look right and I fixed them.

That looks very awesome, great idea to allow second story buildings.
The blue color looks a bit off though on everything but the hanging lamps, might want to make that blue a bit darker.
The red color on the other hand is perhaps a (very little) bit too dark, again except for the hanging lamps.

privet

http://i.solidfiles.net/917f010d15.png
The colors will be done when foreground, middleground and background are done. It's the last point which will be done when dealing with a tileset smile

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

http://i.solidfiles.net/404c090169.png
This is the way how I would construct the lantern in comparison to yours.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Landil wrote:

http://i.solidfiles.net/917f010d15.png
The colors will be done when foreground, middleground and background are done. It's the last point which will be done when dealing with a tileset smile

I will work on your critiques and get back to you on this. Til then I have some questions maybe you could answer while I work on some of these.

Landil wrote:

much better, but can you add sme little variation? The pattern of the circles looks exactly the same sad

I tried to add as much variation as I could. I will take a look at adding more variation. I don't know what the problem is the the cherry blossom trunk. What are you trying to point out in the circles?

Landil wrote:

Try different several times with the same tree: The shading is not perfect.

What? "Try different several times", what does that mean? whats wrong with the shading?

Landil wrote:

Please change the perspective. Rotate the lanterns to give it a more realistic view.
- no full frontal view
- feets and hands look strange
- shading needs to be redone
- even if the perspective is not 100% parallel perspective make it look nice.

Ok it might take me some time to get this one.  I can change the perspective of this.  What do you mean by the feets and hands look strange?

Landil wrote:

If you compare this temple entrance to the teehouse this is far too small, resize it pls.

I traced the Teehouse when I made this temple.   the inside of the frame of the door is the same width and hided of the teehouse's door.  With the out side of the frame it is actually bigger then the teehouse door.  I can make it more exactly like the door if you would like.  when I drew the door I got the general shape down then went from there but it is the same size as the teehouse door.

http://s27.postimg.org/o10696q03/Screenshot_from_2015_11_15_14_53_42.png

Landil wrote:

I like this idea, can you pls check whether the windows look better with stronger lines?

are you talking about the thickness of the shadows? or the thickness of the cross.  I made the shadow a bit bigger and I think it does look better. I can make the cross thicker as well if you would like.

Landil wrote:

change the perspective of this, too... and redo the shading.

I don't see how I can change the perspective of two round objects.  I can put more space between the two vertical bamboo pols and perhaps change the angle of the diagonal one. Is this what you mean?

Landil wrote:

Please remove the mini circles (rope)

Why?

Landil wrote:

use the same size for every leave use less, but don't resize

Ok why?  If you look back on your bonsai tree you made for the panda set the leaves very in size and count. shouldn't there be more variety? plus a smaller tree is not going to have the same size leaves as a bigger tree.

Landil wrote:

Please change the perspective. rotate the statue to give it more realistic view.
- no full frontal view
- feets and hands look strange (is this what you meant from above?)
- shanding need to be redone

Oh come one these statues look great. I tried to mimic the winter_doodads statue, jungle_doodads statue, and the panda_doodads statues when I made these.  All three of these sets have full frontal view statues. Their base may not be full frontal but the tee is.  the feets are taken from your adaptation of the panda statue, to me they are supposed to look as though the tee is crossing their legs or sitting a little different then you would think a tee would normally sit. In more of a meditation sitting position. The hands are taken from the default tee skin, I could change them a little bit as they do look exactly the same even though they should be in two different perspectives. whats wrong with the shading?

Landil wrote:

Why does eveything have to be constructed with circles?  I do like this I am just wondering why.

http://i.solidfiles.net/dd5805704c.png rotate the statue ... it's a real quick sketch

android272 wrote:

I tried to add as much variation as I could. I will take a look at adding more variation. I don't know what the problem is the the cherry blossom trunk. What are you trying to point out in the circles?

Sometimes there are some shadows missing. Furthermore it is sometimes too detailed/not constructed.

Landil wrote:

Try different several times with the same tree: The shading is not perfect.

What? "Try different several times", what does that mean? whats wrong with the shading?

You shade every sphere/circle on its own. But you need to take into consideration that the spheres drop shadows onto the other spheres.

Landil wrote:

Please change the perspective. Rotate the lanterns to give it a more realistic view.
- no full frontal view
- feets and hands look strange
- shading needs to be redone

--> Look at the statue graphic I did

Ok it might take me some time to get this one.  I can change the perspective of this.  What do you mean by the feets and hands look strange?

hands and feets are not elliptical. It's hard to describe, honestly I cannot do it. It took me lots of time to understand how tee feet and hands should look like. :-/

Landil wrote:

If you compare this temple entrance to the teehouse this is far too small, resize it pls.

I traced the Teehouse when I made this temple.   the inside of the frame of the door is the same width and hided of the teehouse's door.  With the out side of the frame it is actually bigger then the teehouse door.  I can make it more exactly like the door if you would like.  when I drew the door I got the general shape down then went from there but it is the same size as the teehouse door.

I did not mean the tee house. I meant the doodad right below the blue house.

Landil wrote:

I like this idea, can you pls check whether the windows look better with stronger lines?

are you talking about the thickness of the shadows? or the thickness of the cross.  I made the shadow a bit bigger and I think it does look better. I can make the cross thicker as well if you would like.

I am talking about the cross.

Landil wrote:

I don't see how I can change the perspective of two round objects.  I can put more space between the two vertical bamboo pols and perhaps change the angle of the diagonal one. Is this what you mean?

Then you need to be creative. This way it does not look that cool.

Landil wrote:

Why?

That's far too detailed. Look at them ingame. You can hardly distinguish them ... it's too blurry.

Landil wrote:

Ok why?  If you look back on your bonsai tree you made for the panda set the leaves very in size and count. shouldn't there be more variety? plus a smaller tree is not going to have the same size leaves as a bigger tree.

Yeah, you are right, but in this case try to reduce the variation. Why? Because we do not use any variation at all at the jungle tileset. Look at the bushes. I want them to be very similar to have a link between the graphics.

Landil wrote:

Please change the perspective. rotate the statue to give it more realistic view.
- no full frontal view

Oh come one these statues look great. I tried to mimic the winter_doodads statue, jungle_doodads statue, and the panda_doodads statues when I made these.  All three of these sets have full frontal view statues. Their base may not be full frontal but the tee is.  the feets are taken from your adaptation of the panda statue, to me they are supposed to look as though the tee is crossing their legs or sitting a little different then you would think a tee would normally sit. In more of a meditation sitting position. The hands are taken from the default tee skin, I could change them a little bit as they do look exactly the same even though they should be in two different perspectives. whats wrong with the shading?

The statues look good, but you need to use some tricks to make it look more 3D. If you look at the jungle statues. The bases and the owl statue are slightly rotated. It's not perfect parallel projection, but it made it look much better. It took some time until we found this way!

Landil wrote:

Why does eveything have to be constructed with circles?  I do like this I am just wondering why.

It's just because it's teeish. They live in round houses, have round trees, round bushes ... that's teestyle >_<

59 (edited by android272 2015-11-16 02:59:28)

Landil wrote:

hands and feets are not elliptical. It's hard to describe, honestly I cannot do it. It took me lots of time to understand how tee feet and hands should look like. :-/

I completely understand how the tees hands and feet look. That is not what I was talking about here. You copied and pasted the same comment twice and it did not make since when you were talking about the lanterns having hands and feets.

Landil wrote:
Landil wrote:

I did not mean the tee house. I meant the doodad right below the blue house.

You mean the two arches? How are they too small?  BTW in game these arches should be three tiles high. I just did not make it three high because it would have been the same tile done twice.

Landil wrote:
Landil wrote:

Then you need to be creative. This way it does not look that cool.

These things aren't cool in the first place.  They are just things that a lot of Japanese gardens have.

Landil wrote:
Landil wrote:

Why?

That's far too detailed. Look at them ingame. You can hardly distinguish them ... it's too blurry.

Far too detailed? This game has detailed objects that you can barley tell. It is the small details that make the object recognizable and look good.  I will try to make them less blurry.

http://s21.postimg.org/4lv8brd5z/ellipse8922.png

Landil wrote:
Landil wrote:

Android272 wrote:

Yeah, you are right, but in this case try to reduce the variation. Why? Because we do not use any variation at all at the jungle tileset. Look at the bushes. I want them to be very similar to have a link between the graphics.

What are you talking about there is a slight variation between each leaf in the jungle tileset. Its very minute variation but there is still a variation.  I will try to keep the leaves the same size between the three trees.

Landil wrote:
Landil wrote:

- no full frontal view

The statues look good, but you need to use some tricks to make it look more 3D. If you look at the jungle statues. The bases and the owl statue are slightly rotated. It's not perfect parallel projection, but it made it look much better. It took some time until we found this way!

Yes and the Tee is looking straight on in both the jungle set and the winter set.  Also the base of this statue is cylindrical so it can not be slightly rotated... well it can but from this perspective you would not know the difference.

Landil wrote:
Landil wrote:

It's just because it's teeish. They live in round houses, have round trees, round bushes ... that's teestyle >_<

There are loads of things in the Tee world that are not round.

Japanese_Temple

60 (edited by 2015-11-16 05:17:27)

Phew! Yeah, you are right ... there are several details in the tilesets. All the tilesets have different origins. Different artists worked on them and left their personal fingerprint. But when We redrew and standardized these tilesets we did not want to change everything. That's why several above mentioned details are still there. E.g. a lot of ppl and some of the graphic artists were upset when I wanted to drop the voodoo doll. ...

Or regarding the snowman. We simplified it with the 0.5. Update  But we did have to keep the straws as we did want to keep maikka's style.

The point is that there is an acceptable amount of details that is still teeish.  I did not point these things out to show you what needs to be striped away but to show that the tee style can have some details.  There definitely is a point which there is too much detail but I do not think I have reached that and I don't think that these have either. I have even toned it down a lot.  There needs to be a balance between way too detailed and way too simple.  Even if the details are a bit blurry you can still see them and the smallest detail could completely change the whole thing for the better.

http://i.solidfiles.net/b273ed67d0.png

Here you'll see why I stick to "rotate the stuff". Rotating the doodads slightly will improve the 3D effect while still using parallel projection. I still do not like the design of those wells anyway ... even though they are realistic. Aaaand we do not use water in doodads as water needs an animation.

Landil wrote:

Here you'll see why I stick to "rotate the stuff". Rotating the doodads slightly will improve the 3D effect while still using parallel projection. I still do not like the design of those wells anyway ... even though they are realistic. Aaaand we do not use water in doodads as water needs an animation.

What smile? This made me laugh after having the big discussion about how with parallel perspective you can't see the tops of things.  Ok I will make this change.  I like your bamboo.

64 (edited by Landil 2015-11-18 06:12:22)

android272 wrote:
Landil wrote:

What smile? This made me laugh after having the big discussion about how with parallel perspective you can't see the tops of things.  Ok I will make this change.  I like your bamboo.

Hopefully your laughter will be replaced with realization. You can see the top of things if you tilt the objects (or the point of view). Tilt the bowl as if you want to pour out some of the water. See what happens?

edit: Ofc this cheat ist senseless if you cant rotate the view without breaking physic laws e.g. the japanese lanterns hanging on that rope (which still needs to get changed wink)

Please use a 3D program which can switch to parallel perspective if you have problems to imagine.

Landil wrote:
android272 wrote:
Landil wrote:

Hopefully your laughter will be replaced with realization. You can see the top of things if you tilt the objects (or the point of view). Tilt the bowl as if you want to pour out some of the water. See what happens?

edit: Ofc this cheat ist senseless if you cant rotate the view without breaking physic laws e.g. the japanese lanterns hanging on that rope (which still needs to get changed wink)

Please use a 3D program which can switch to parallel perspective if you have problems to imagine.

That is what I was thinking.  The bowl as I saw it would lay flat so you could not change it,  but  I could change it so that It looks as though this bowl would eventually pore water into another smaller bowl once it is filed.  That is what these things do. They just collect water, fill up and pore out into other objects.

I am not all that good at 3D programs.  I just have not had the time to work with them.

66 (edited by android272 2015-11-18 22:33:27)

I modified the "shishi odishi" or japanese water fountain. I also begrudgingly changed the rope.  I completly disagree with you on whether this is too much detail and think you need to redefine too much detail, but I don't care right now. I change the hands on the statue to look more like the other statues.  Is there anything else that you can see that I need to change?

Japanese_Temple

67 (edited by Landil 2015-11-19 07:50:14)

android272 wrote:

Is there anything else that you can see that I need to change?

Well, I am thinking about the ninja statue all the time now. Suprise, suprise, I am not a big fan of it. But I 've been brooding about this all the time and here are my thoughts. I asked myself how would a ninja statue look like in the teeworld?

1. Do tees wear clothes?
--> No, this means that the statue should not have a cape, it should not wear anything

2. How does a ninja tee looks like?
--> x_ninja.png; that's how the statue should look like

3. Is there anything we know how tee eyes should look like?
--> your statue's eyes are prolly not standard tee eyes, you should use the proper proportions and the standard gap. compare it to the jungle statue pls.
--> do not use the standard eyes, use the x_ninja eyes instead

4. Do we have any other graphics about how tee feet look like?
--> I had a look at the other statues we did. The winter statue and jungle statue were reworked in 0.6 so we should stick to their basic design in future tilesets.

5. And tee hands?
--> we know how they look like
--> use the same style of the other statues

6. What about the colors?
--> i think the light-dark-contrast is too strong for a doodad.

7. I have the feeling that something is wrong with your statue. Why does it look so flat?
--> I guess one of things which make your current statue look so flat is that your shading might need some changes. The clothes (which should be removed), the fan (which should be rotated) and feet could be pimped.

edited

68 (edited by prof-turbo 2015-11-19 17:35:13)

Landil wrote:

7. I have the feeling that something is wrong with your statue. Why does it look so flat?
--> I guess one of things which make your current statue look so flat is that your shading might need some changes. The clothes (which should be removed), the fan (which should be rotated) and feet could be pimped.

This is the only answer I agreed with.

P.S : do not overquote please, especially you android272

IGN = in-game name = the name you have when playing = the name you have when playing this game named teeworlds = the game you have playing this name gamed teeworlds and not the clan = Feeder

69 (edited by android272 2015-11-19 20:16:25)

What's wrong with quoting? I want people to know exactly what I am responding to.

70 (edited by prof-turbo 2015-11-19 23:02:33)

android272 wrote:
Landil wrote:
android272 wrote:

That is what I was thinking.  The bowl as I saw it would lay flat so you could not change it,  but  I could change it so that It looks as though this bowl would eventually pore water into another smaller bowl once it is filed.  That is what these things do. They just collect water, fill up and pore out into other objects.

I am not all that good at 3D programs.  I just have not had the time to work with them.

Quoting all a conversation is overquotting.
This is  overquotting, has it floods the topic, and is useless.

IGN = in-game name = the name you have when playing = the name you have when playing this game named teeworlds = the game you have playing this name gamed teeworlds and not the clan = Feeder

71 (edited by android272 2015-11-20 01:34:28)

I just want to say that the statue looks stupid now and in my option now looks flat.

Japanese_Temple

prof-turbo wrote:

Quoting all a conversation is overquotting.
This is  overquotting, has it floods the topic, and is useless.

This is hijacking a topic. smile You may ask people to do as you say, but you should not go to a topic and start commanding everyone. Thanks. smile

Just made a quick sketch of another possible position for the tee-statue that is holding the sword

http://i.solidfiles.net/82c03d8c1f.png

74 (edited by android272 2015-11-22 21:43:05)

Landil wrote:

Well, I am thinking about the ninja statue all the time now. Suprise, suprise, I am not a big fan of it. But I 've been brooding about this all the time and here are my thoughts. I asked myself how would a ninja statue look like in the teeworld?

Landil wrote:

1. Do tees wear clothes?
--> No, this means that the statue should not have a cape, it should not wear anything

Does not the ninja wear cloths? or is the katana a magical sward that really turned you into a black Tee with ninja skills?

Landil wrote:

2. How does a ninja tee looks like?
--> x_ninja.png; that's how the statue should look like

This statue was not supposed to be the ninja from tee worlds but a samurai or a monk.

Landil wrote:

3. Is there anything we know how tee eyes should look like?
--> your statue's eyes are prolly not standard tee eyes, you should use the proper proportions and the standard gap. compare it to the jungle statue pls.
--> do not use the standard eyes, use the x_ninja eyes instead

Ok you are right here I did not use the right perorations for the eyes.  I do not understand what you mean by ninja eyes however.  the ninja has the same eyes as every other tee except that they are white...  So you want me to make the statues eyes white?

Landil wrote:

4. Do we have any other graphics about how tee feet look like?
--> I had a look at the other statues we did. The winter statue and jungle statue were reworked in 0.6 so we should stick to their basic design in future tilesets.

Frist I copied the legs from your statue in the panda set so I figured this point would be fine. second the Tee in this statue is not standing like the statue in the jungle or winter sets, this tee is meditating like many many Japanese statues.

statue

Landil wrote:

5. And tee hands?
--> we know how they look like
--> use the same style of the other statues

The hands I used in the original statue where copied from the default skins hands. So they were normal Tee hands they were just in the wrong perspective.

Landil wrote:

6. What about the colors?
--> i think the light-dark-contrast is too strong for a doodad.

I don't understand.

Landil wrote:

I don't understand why you think my last statue looked flat as I think the new statue looks too flat, and so does the jungle and winter statues.

75 (edited by 2015-11-21 19:41:29)

android272 wrote:

Does not the ninja wear cloths? or is the katana a magical sward that really turned you into a black Tee with ninja skills?

My guess is that it magically turns into a black furry ninja kitty .

This statue was not supposed to be the ninja from tee worlds but a samurai or a monk.

Well, we do have a ninja kitty. AFAIK the difference between a ninja and a samurai is that ninjas were mercenarys and samurais were nearly the same, just from the upper class.

Ok you are right here I did not use the right perorations for the eyes.  I do not understand what you mean by ninja eyes however.  the ninja has the same eyes as every other tee except that they are white...  So you want me to make the statues eyes white?

Nah, the proportions of x_ninja is different. We can make them white, sure. But we need to make sure it fits to the other tilesets (for compatibility reasons wink).

Frist I copied the legs from your statue in the panda set so I figured this point would be fine. second the Tee in this statue is not standing like the statue in the jungle or winter sets, this tee is meditating like many many Japanese statues.
statue

The graphic shows you how I work to create one result. And that's what I did for a community tileset. Regarding an official tileset I do have higher demands. Besides you did not copy exactly the feet I did.
1. The shapes differ slightly
2. You put them in front of the gray platform
3. You added unreal shading

In addition I made a non-teeish graphic. It's a panda bear wich has a body and a head. It was supposed as an inspiration for a community tileset. This is a no-go for an official tileset!

Sometimes even very minor differences can change the whole appearance. Teeish feet are IMHO one of the most difficult parts of tees. To make them look good I need to experiment a lot.

The hands I used in the arriginal statue where copied from the default skins hands. So they were normal Tee hands they were just in the wrong perspective.

Yeah, here comes the part that really sucks. Tee hands cannot really be copy pasted for doodads. Why? It's always been that way, I dunno why. I've done countless tee graphics and whenever you use the original shapes it will suck. Really!

I don't understand.

The contrast is quite high. A high contrast should only be used for the game layer.

I don't understand why you think my last statue looked flat as I think the new statue looks too flat, and so does the jungle and winter statues.

The winter statue looks flat due to historical reasons. Compare it to the original one and you will see that we improved it. We won't rework all tilesets with every update so we need keep the same style. This means every new tileset has to adopt the current teeworlds style. Otherwise we will have lots of different styles and this totally sucks. As long as I am responsible for the graphics this won't happen. smile

When we did the jungle tileset rework we did not make one graphic for one idea. Everyone made one or two mockups. Then we discussed the graphics. Which one is the most teeish? Why is it teeish? Which part is not teeish and how can we improve it? So step by step we found a solution which we all considered to be teeish. (Keep in mind that Crises, Zatline and I are self educated "artists",  we did not study it)

So what happens if I work on that statue. Well first of all I'd copy the last approach of the statue I did for the panda theme. The base needs a little modification (less details). Then I'd take the x_ninja body. Add the ninja eyes. I experimented with the meditation position of the feet and hands until they look okay. Then I will add some details. Which one looks best.

http://i.solidfiles.net/57e389e484.png
Is this teeish? I do not know. I will sleep over it a couple of days. If I am satisfied, then I will sleep another day over it. ... And then if I really like it, then I'm glad wink

1. I prolly need to check the colors. My goal is to use as few colors as possible.
2. Maybe he feet need some shading (But it's pretty hard to do some good looking shading)
3 ... tbc...

NEXT TRY:

... http://i.solidfiles.net/742dfb8a77.png