26 (edited by Landil 2015-10-26 22:10:34)

Re: [TILESET] Japanese Temple [With Source Files] officially pimped

A new tileset means 80% old style and 20% new. Make sure it does not look like another tileset. Make sure people recognize the same style and elements, but give them a slightly different look. So if you make new trees, make sure the look is different, but keep the style. You want cherry blossoms - but they are too detailed. Look at the orange blossoms of the grass bushes. They are simple circles. Let's keep that idea and let's use circles for the blossoms, k?

http://i.solidfiles.net/cdf81e02d5.png

It looks like a teeworlds tree, but it does look like one with lots of blossoms. It looks pretty much like yours, just with less details.

Regarding perspective ...
First of all, parallel perspective does not mean it has to be a full frontal view. All of your objects use a full frontal view. That's not that cool as it looks very flat (2D). If you rotate your object on the vertical axis you will get a more 3Dish look. e.g.

http://i.solidfiles.net/3c117a2231.png

Regarding colors....
If you use inkscape have a look at your color scheme at the bottom. Reuse the same colors for the same materials e.g. I do not know why you chose a different blue for the roof of the tee house. Look at the lantern and the stone statue: several different gray tones.

http://i.solidfiles.net/07f3eebf7d.png
Make a sketch how your theme should look like in general. A color scheme means that all the colors are in harmony. Ensure that background, midground and foreground are clearly distinguishable.

Besides, usually we have a blue version of doodads, if there is a red one. Maybe your "Asian" color scheme uses red as a standard color ... you decide ... then we won't need a blue one wink

Regarding the zoom ...
Play a map with your tileset and tell me you see the details of every cherry blossom... RLY? Keep it simple. If you cannot really see the details, drop them. It's hard to understand at the beginning. All of us who are self-educated "artists" had some problems with this at the beginning. But trust me, it's good for everyone to drop the details.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

android272 wrote:

The think I don't understand about is that when I look at the page size in inkscape it says that it is 1024x1024 but when I look at is in my file browser it says that it is 3361x3361...  also why do I even need to run scripts on my tilesets at all? why does Teeworlds screw with my tileset?

Check the pixel/dpi settings when you exporting the image file to be 1024x1024.
The scripts solve different 'issues' with the gpu hardware/drivers, these will be partially fixed in the upcoming version (0.7). Dilate is required as transparent texels also store RGB color values which infer in the sampling process. borderfix prevents bleeding during the sampling process across tile boundaries in the tileset.

(The requirement of an asset pipeline is nothing special and other games also need scripts to 'fix' their images)

btw thanks @Landil for that writeup
Looking forward to the final outcome (:

BeaR wrote:

Check the pixel/dpi settings when you exporting the image file to be 1024x1024.
The scripts solve different 'issues' with the gpu hardware/drivers, these will be partially fixed in the upcoming version (0.7). Dilate is required as transparent texels also store RGB color values which infer in the sampling process. borderfix prevents bleeding during the sampling process across tile boundaries in the tileset.

(The requirement of an asset pipeline is nothing special and other games also need scripts to 'fix' their images)

btw thanks @Landil for that writeup
Looking forward to the final outcome (:

So I took a look at my export dialog.  when I selected export page I found that the height and width were set to 3361x3361 even though the canvase size is set to 1024x1024.  I changed this to 1024x1024 with a 90 dpi. I don't see a difference when I look at the two images in my image viewer.... anyway they will be 1024x1024 from now on.  Wonder why it worked in the Teeworlds map editor?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

By the way, do not forget to have another look at the pimp my style panda tileset. Instead of using the elliptical shape for the bonsai, you might use the circle, too. Regarding the bamboo tiles you might check that section, either.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

I changed my trees.  What do you mean " Look at the orange blossoms of the grass bushes."  orange blossoms have oranges but they still have the flower petals.

So if parallel perspective does not mean it has to be a full frontal view.  Then does it mean that things are parallel to the ground?  You had me change the lanterns to not show the tops.  Is this what you mean?

I understand that there is usually a red and blue set but I don't have room and this is the red used on a lot of Japanese temples.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

31 (edited by Landil 2015-10-28 20:11:36)

http://i.solidfiles.net/0961c9aced.png
I rendered the temple entrance in google sketchup (I use google sektchup v8.0) (download .skp file). I did not render the background and midground... that's just an image.

I made up the picture to show you the differences between the perspectives:

Normal perspective: The green and red vanishing points are on the same horizontal line (horizon). Yay!
Parallel projection: The green and red axis are ALWAYS horizontal. (They are parallel, that's the reason why they call it parallel projection wink )

If anyone knows a good free file host pls tell me. Solidfiles sometimes tricks the people to download and install adware. So please, you do not need to insall anything!

http://i.solidfiles.net/6b8b6e9720.png
These are the grass bushes with orange blossoms.

If you wanna see that teestyle means less details, then compare the old jungle tileset (0.4) with the current version.https://raw.githubusercontent.com/matricks/teeworlds/fec578e084ade00d07b2e802fd86b88743d94bbf/data/mapres/jungle_doodads.png

The old jungle doodads (This was my first tileset smile )
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/matricks/teeworlds/master/data/mapres/jungle_doodads.png
The reworked jungle doodads, with less details and more teestyle.
I/We reworked the jungle theme, because it sucked. It was really really hard to create the first tileset. But deciding that it sucked and starting from scratch was harder. But it was worth it, was not it?

colors used in the old tileset: countless
colors used in the rework: brown, green, yellow and gray

Not sure if this has already been said but if not here we go .. however also keep in mind that if u want to show an asset from the side do not work with vanishing points! tongue
e.g. you can see that the old treasure chest had two vanishing points while the new one has none at all. smile

Landil wrote:

http://i.solidfiles.net/0961c9aced.png
I rendered the temple entrance in google sketchup (I use google sektchup v8.0) (download .skp file). I did not render the background and midground... that's just an image.

I made up the picture to show you the differences between the perspectives:

Normal perspective: The green and red vanishing points are on the same horizontal line (horizon). Yay!
Parallel projection: The green and red axis are ALWAYS horizontal. (They are parallel, that's the reason why they call it parallel projection wink )

If anyone knows a good free file host pls tell me. Solidfiles sometimes tricks the people to download and install adware. So please, you do not need to insall anything!

Thank you for the image showing the difference between the two perspectives.  If you look Parallel projection or Parallel perspective up on google you don't get very many good examples.  It was quite confusing when people said that it needed to be in this perspective. 

Also about free hosting.  DeviantArt is where I put all of my art.  It is free and you don't have to worry about people downloading malware.  It may be a little more complex then you want.  You do have to give it a category and tell whether it has any mature content but apart from that you can just upload images pretty quickly.  I like to tell everyone what the license the peace is licensed under, give a description and tag it, but I am also trying to get more people to view my art. 

Landil wrote:

I did not know you wanted me to look at grass_doodads to see these orange blossom bushes.  are you wanting me to add these orange blossoms?

Landil wrote:

If you wanna see that teestyle means less details, then compare the old jungle tileset (0.4) with the current version.https://raw.githubusercontent.com/matricks/teeworlds/fec578e084ade00d07b2e802fd86b88743d94bbf/data/mapres/jungle_doodads.png

The old jungle doodads (This was my first tileset smile )
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/matricks/teeworlds/master/data/mapres/jungle_doodads.png
The reworked jungle doodads, with less details and more teestyle.
I/We reworked the jungle theme, because it sucked. It was really really hard to create the first tileset. But deciding that it sucked and starting from scratch was harder. But it was worth it, was not it?

colors used in the old tileset: countless
colors used in the rework: brown, green, yellow and gray

I think there is a lot more detail in the current version then you make it out to be.  When you say strip out the detail it seems as though you are saying that there can be no detail at all.  But look at the lock and the gold trip in the chest, and the side of the new statue.  This is a lot more detail then I thought you were saying was allowed in tile sets. and this made no since.  I can see clearly that the first doodad has way to much detail and compared to my first try I think it was somewhere in the middle of these two.  I understand what you are getting at now.

Zatline wrote:

Not sure if this has already been said but if not here we go .. however also keep in mind that if u want to show an asset from the side do not work with vanishing points! tongue
e.g. you can see that the old treasure chest had two vanishing points while the new one has none at all. smile

Thank you for this I see what you mean.

Is there anything else you guys can see that can be done to this tile set?

android272 wrote:
Landil wrote:

I did not know you wanted me to look at grass_doodads to see these orange blossom bushes.  are you wanting me to add these orange blossoms?

He wanted you to look at grass_doodads to see those orange blossom bushes to show you that he used a single shape to create the whole thing.

35 (edited by android272 2015-11-20 01:11:34)

Sonix wrote:
android272 wrote:

He wanted you to look at grass_doodads to see those orange blossom bushes to show you that he used a single shape to create the whole thing.

Ok thanks

Are there any more objects I should add?  There are a total of 43 completely empty tiles but only 15 empty tiles that are not in the same square that a the temple, tree, the arch, or the water pot thing.  I figure it is best to allow map makers to select an entire object at once and not have to erase some other object.  For example as this doodad is right now for someone to place a temple they would have to erase the two bamboo tiles or select around them and make the temple in more than one selection.

I'll make you an offer. You have to choose either the blue or the red pill.

Blue pill: the community tileset
The Japanese Temple Tileset will be your tileset! You will decide how exactly the tileset looks like. You decide which shapes or colors will be used, which doodads will be used and so on.
I will give you some tips how to improve your teestyle.
Result: the tileset won’t get official

Red pill: the official tileset
You want this tileset to become official! Great choice!
You will draw lots of graphics, but you will have to listen carefully to the gfx-team advices. We will help you and guide you through this long journey and at the end there will be a new official tileset.
But we decide which graphics will get official. We will help you to choose the proper colors, edit the shapes … to get the right teestyle.

Taking both pills: (you are a smartass wink )
You will make your community tileset. We will use it to make an official one.

You guys are doing awesome work O_O

IGN = in-game name = the name you have when playing = the name you have when playing this game named teeworlds = the game you have playing this name gamed teeworlds and not the clan = Feeder

39 (edited by android272 2015-10-31 17:30:54)

Ooo, ooo the red pill, I choose the red pill... I saw this in a movie once and some guy wanted to go back and take the blue pill but he died at the end and the hero go the girl... I choose the red pill.  is it... is it candy?

I never wanted you guys to just put my stuff into the game.  I knew that there would be some changes to them.  I did not see before what the big deal with some of my details were as there are a lot of community tilesets that I agree have way too many details.  I thought my set was on the low end of the detail spectrum.

And now I am asking if there is anything else that needs to be done?  Can anyone think of other objects that should be added to this set? Or is the set good?

Hi,

This tileset seems a very good starting point. As mentioned before, you should rework yours bamboo to make them less "flat". In particular, the delimiter between two sections of the bamboo is actually a line, but should be a curve.

Are the bamboo sticks supposed to be main tiles or background doodads? Look at the panda theme pimp my style you linked to.  Have a closer look at the related advices.

You trees look a bit flat. First of all please use circles.
Then Compare the shading of your trees to the grass doodads trees. Try to copy the way how it is shaded. Maybe it's helpful if you draw the shadows in the grass style and then remove some parts of the shades with small circles afterwards.

Look at the grass diodads to see how the trunks are shaded. Do it the same way

42 (edited by android272 2015-11-11 22:00:08)

Check out the new trees.  I started shading with big circles and shaded them like grass_doodads then added little circles around the tree to make the cherry blossoms.  I also change the shading of the trunks. Is this what you were talking about Landil?  By the way Landil, thank you for making me change my trees. I actually like these trees way better then I do the original ones.

I took out the bamboo because there is so much more that could be done with them and I would need more room.  I still can add more objects.  Is there anything else I need to do? Is there anything else I could add?

Japanese_Temple

I like this new version of your trees :-)

Can you change the diagonal bamboo like this ? It's just a fix about the perspective (the new version is on the right)

http://s24.postimg.org/jjzhskw4l/bamboo.png

necropotame wrote:

I like this new version of your trees :-)

Can you change the diagonal bamboo like this ? It's just a fix about the perspective (the new version is on the right)

http://s24.postimg.org/jjzhskw4l/bamboo.png

Why? What is the difference? you moved it over so that it uses up 8 tiles instead of 6.  I could move the bamboo over to the left and make it only use four tiles.

Sorry, it's not about placement, I placed it randomly. Look at the diagonal bamboo. I made the section curved instead of straight.

necropotame wrote:

Sorry, it's not about placement, I placed it randomly. Look at the diagonal bamboo. I made the section curved instead of straight.

Oh thank you for pointing that out. That does look a lot better.  I Think I will also move the bamboo to only be two by two tiles.

Japanese_Temple

I fixed the bamboo water thingy, made it smaller and moved it up top.

That gave me more room for another top to the statue.  If you are wondering why the katana is square at the end it is because it is in its sheath.

The green squares are spots that are open and can be filled with more objects.  The red squares are tiles that are open but would make map making a  bit harder. If I filled the red squares you would have to make more selections to get the trees, temple, arch, statue, blue lanterns example in your map.  Or you would have to delete something from the map once you placed it down. I don't know if it is normal or according to the tee style to place objects in the red squares so I wanted to ask the community.

From my point of view, just split the tileset over multiple images as there are zero or negliable drawbacks

According to me, there is no problem to fill red square. Of course, it's better to fill green one in first, but placing doodad never takes too much time, even if you have to delete some tiles after.

50 (edited by 2015-11-12 00:32:00)

BeaR wrote:

From my point of view, just split the tileset over multiple images as there are zero or negliable drawbacks

I was thinking about separating out the trees actually. That way there could be a Japanese tree doodad and I could include bonsai trees.  Also this could give me even more room for other objects. Perhaps a blue set of everything so the blue team could have a blue temple. All though if you look up Japanese temple, arches, or fences you will see that they are red like I have now.  I don't really want to make a blue set.

necropotame wrote:

According to me, there is no problem to fill red square. Of course, it's better to fill green one in first, but placing doodad never takes too much time, even if you have to delete some tiles after.

I just wanted to point out that these are completely empty and the slight annoyance if I were to fill them,