Re: Teeworlds on Steam

There are free open-source games on Steam, that only use the  platform as means to increase their playerbase and increasing ease of access while still publishing/releasing versions of their game on their own website without interference from valve. I don't follow the train of thought, that leads people to believe the principles teeworlds was built upon will suddenly vanish, because there is a second, optional way of downloading the game.

burn the land and boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me.

When looking to the steam page linked in the first post, I do not see anywhere that teeworlds is free and open-source.  Worst, teeworlds is classified as a free-to-play implying that there is an in-game shop, like most free-to-play have.

I've not heard about technical issue or financial problems to maintain the download server for teeworlds.  So I assume having teeworlds on steam is for increasing player base and *not* because maintening the download server has become a huge burden.

By having teeworlds on steam, it give to valve statistics about this game, like who downloaded it, who played it and when, how long, who liked it, etc...  It add a new reason for people to *not* leave steam since they can play teeworlds on it.  Of course it makes a good image for Valve because they seems to gracefully host (free) games.

You have a valid point there, needs.
I guess it is a win-win-situation for both sides.
Increasing the player base looks like a good trade-off for supporting a proprietary platform, as Teeworlds needs new players badly. Steam has the potential to help Teeworlds enormously, especially since Teeworlds would be one of the few truly free games on the platform.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

JonastheRoman wrote:

Increasing the player base looks like a good trade-off for supporting a proprietary platform, as Teeworlds needs new players badly. Steam has the potential to help Teeworlds enormously, especially since Teeworlds would be one of the few truly free games on the platform.

That's news to me.
New players are welcome of course, I believe that's the main profit Teeworlds gets from going on Steam.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Yeah, I more meant Vanilla, as I'd like to play more random matches on other maps than ctf5. smile

JonastheRoman wrote:

as I'd like to play more random matches on other maps than ctf5. smile

Exactly that!

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

Is putting this game on steam compatible with an account system, which is planned, as far as I know?

Please delete my account.

Romberg wrote:

Is putting this game on steam compatible with an account system, which is planned, as far as I know?

no

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Landil wrote:
Romberg wrote:

no

To expand on that: An account system is not currently planned – Steam would be compatible with that though, probably.

185 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-22 13:58:59)

Is there any publication date planned?

Also, could somebody of the people who actually decide respond to the last version of my fix to the trailer & mods problem, please?

Fifi wrote:

So maybe to satisfy everyone, instead of displaying modded gameplay, we could just put a text screen with something like "You can also play various additional gamemodes provided by user-created server mods. The possibilities are virtually endless." at the end of the trailer? smile That seems fine, because we won't be showing any mods, while the players will still be informed that such things exist.

Fifi wrote:

Also, could somebody of the people who actually decide respond to the last version of my fix to the trailer & mods problem, please?

Fifi wrote:

So maybe to satisfy everyone, instead of displaying modded gameplay, we could just put a text screen with something like "You can also play various additional gamemodes provided by user-created server mods. The possibilities are virtually endless." at the end of the trailer? smile That seems fine, because we won't be showing any mods, while the players will still be informed that such things exist.

There's no specific release date planned, but I'd like to release as soon as possible. For that we still need (a) the trailer, (b) some more pictures and (c) a working OS X version. I'm working on (c), there are people doing (a) and (b) probably will get done as well.

I think mentioning that mods exists is probably the minimum we should do.

Hello, it's been a while, and I think the graphics part of the video is pretty much completed (Kirby's working on the sound right now). I'm not sure if we should include credits at the end, because in most "official" trailers, there aren't. However, Kirby says that we may need to provide credit for the music. Not sure about how this is going to work.

Once again, tell me if you need anything fixed:
http://www.mediafire.com/watch/65n9b27s … 21Test.avi

A is for Apple.

In the discussion someone brought up the idea of creating a little intro to the GUI and especially the server browser. I think an easier and more efficient way to help new players get across the entry barrier of finding a proper server might be creating an "instant vanilla action" button, that automates the server selection process and picks the "best" vanilla server available. I'm really concerned that a lot of new players might join servers with high ping, few players, too many players, weird maps, servers where they get kicked instantly by a bunch of idiots who're claiming the server for themselves, servers with too many good players for the newbies to have a chance or mods they don't understand without explanation.

You could go even further and add a feature to the server that keeps it's players skill homogeneous by suggesting players with a scoring rate of more that twice the median or something like that to join another server, so servers end up being sorted by skill.

encypruon wrote:

In the discussion someone brought up the idea of creating a little intro to the GUI and especially the server browser. I think an easier and more efficient way to help new players get across the entry barrier of finding a proper server might be creating an "instant vanilla action" button, that automates the server selection process and picks the "best" vanilla server available. I'm really concerned that a lot of new players might join servers with high ping, few players, too many players, weird maps, servers where they get kicked instantly by a bunch of idiots who're claiming the server for themselves, servers with too many good players for the newbies to have a chance or mods they don't understand without explanation.

You could go even further and add a feature to the server that keeps it's players skill homogeneous by suggesting players with a scoring rate of more that twice the median or something like that to join another server, so servers end up being sorted by skill.

That's an excellent point to me. I would love to see such a feature.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

heinrich5991 wrote:
Fifi wrote:

Fifi wrote:

There's no specific release date planned, but I'd like to release as soon as possible. For that we still need (a) the trailer, (b) some more pictures and (c) a working OS X version. I'm working on (c), there are people doing (a) and (b) probably will get done as well.

I think mentioning that mods exists is probably the minimum we should do.

Working on it right now? Well, I wasn't, but now I am.

no

This is a really good move! Not only might it build a larger player base simply by being more exposed, easier to download, etc, but it will make it easier for streamers who want to stream the game.

While there are suggestions floating around about how to get these new players to stick around, I will continue to suggest a very small, very limited, single player mode. Perhaps 4 levels for each tileset with some easy, generic bots to kill. Most importantly, it would be a place for new players to figure out how to hook, how to get good at movement, what all the weapons do, and so on. There does not need to be a tutorial, just a few very limited levels which force new players to get the basics down. Think Megaman X intro highway stage...

192 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-06-27 22:37:46)

Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

I don't know what kind of music you want to use, but if you publish the trailer on YouTube, adding credits for the music in the description should be enough most of the time. Incompetech could be a good source for music, and Kevin MacLeod is satisfied with credits in the description.

Nilaya wrote:

This is a really good move! Not only might it build a larger player base simply by being more exposed, easier to download, etc, but it will make it easier for streamers who want to stream the game.

While there are suggestions floating around about how to get these new players to stick around, I will continue to suggest a very small, very limited, single player mode. Perhaps 4 levels for each tileset with some easy, generic bots to kill. Most importantly, it would be a place for new players to figure out how to hook, how to get good at movement, what all the weapons do, and so on. There does not need to be a tutorial, just a few very limited levels which force new players to get the basics down. Think Megaman X intro highway stage...

Also like this idea! It would be important to weight the different aspects you mentioned in order to be able to find such a "best" server.

Regarding the single player tutorial: I think something like that would be good, though it woul be easier to make a tutorial map and advertise it on tutorial servers, which contains "solo" training parts, like on some DDRace maps... Maybe list the server on the top of the list, or as a separate button which takes you directly to a server, but hide-able of course.

JonastheRoman wrote:
Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

I don't know what kind of music you want to use, but if you publish the trailer on YouTube, adding credits for the music in the description should be enough most of the time. Incompetech could be a good source for music, and Kevin MacLeod is satisfied with credits in the description.

The trailer will be published on Steam, not on YouTube, though. hmm

194 (edited by Kirbs 2015-06-28 04:58:54)

here eat this;

I think we're done, unless anyone has a small idea or two, as I can easily implement it on my side, but I'm not sure about Oblique., I assume he can make easy changes easily too ^^ (In other words, I have a perfect working copy ready to be worked on when ready to be worked on when ideas are ready to be worked on with the ready to be worked on copy, and I think Oblique does too. whew.)

Thanks for the help with sending demos to Oblique, guys!

EDIT: eek I think the upload failed; you guys with faster internet download it and tell me if it cuts off too early

no

Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

EDIT: eek I think the upload failed; you guys with faster internet download it and tell me if it cuts off too early

I believe it was uploaded completely.

I really like the ending of the video (map editor / own servers / mods) but I feel like the gameplay part is a bit too long and I'm not sure if custom skins should be shown.

DerHase wrote:

I really like the ending of the video (map editor / own servers / mods) but I feel like the gameplay part is a bit too long and I'm not sure if custom skins should be shown.

Yeah, the gameplay shows some long and boring (no offence) scenes

198 (edited by Kirbs 2015-06-28 15:13:20)

heinrich5991 wrote:
Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

I believe it was uploaded completely.

Okay, thanks for telling me.

(Guess it was just a coincedence the file when uploaded was smaller than the file I had!)

EDIT: Yeah, in the middle the gameplay gets a bit generic, but I think it still represents Teeworlds pretty well. You all probably, like me, think that there should be some viewing of ctf2 and ctf1. As I simply made the audio and credits, we'll have to ask Oblique if he can take out some of the generic and long parts of the thing, which maybe we could find some exact parts that could be taken out without any "enjoyment-descriptive" factor taken out, then replace them with more interesting and descriptive clips. Since by the middle of the video, we've already seen plenty ctf5 ^^ (CTF5 can have some cool moments, but that isn't the only thing we're after, right? No? Yes?)

Tell us suggestions, this should cater to everyone's idea of something to provoke people into playing the game. I'm unsure if I put this correctly, but in other words, just keep doing what you've been doing to help, (I think) etc. smile

no

heinrich5991 wrote:

You could still use a Youtube video as the trailer instead of uploading it directly to Steam, couldn't you?
If not, then we probably should put a small notice somewhere near the end of the video...

JonastheRoman wrote:
heinrich5991 wrote:

You could still use a Youtube video as the trailer instead of uploading it directly to Steam, couldn't you?
If not, then we probably should put a small notice somewhere near the end of the video...

No, it must be directly on Steam (that requirement is by Valve, we can't change anything there).