51

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Given some guidelines, a topic could be opened where people post their own trailers. Then the dev team chooses the best one among those

52

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Zargon wrote:

Given some guidelines, a topic could be opened where people post their own trailers. Then the dev team chooses the best one among those

Or we could each provide some demos to be put into the trailer. Then we could designate somebody (or a group) to stitch all of them together into a trailer.

A is for Apple.

53

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

and why don't you just leave the job of creating a vid for tw to the best video editing specialist in this community and he makes what he thinks is the best for it?

54

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Alucard wrote:

and why don't you just leave the job of creating a vid for tw to the best video editing specialist in this community and he makes what he thinks is the best for it?

Well, if there is a video editing specialist that would do that, it'd totally be awesome. But I don't know anyone.

55

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Dune is right, Casualtee definitely features way too much grenade gameplay (because it just looks so impressive big_smile)
I would also like the idea of a new "official" trailer made of community demos.
The question is, should it also feature modded gameplay (e.g. in a seperate section of the video, just showing a few glimpses of some popular mods)?
Maybe in the style of a feature trailer with different categories (e.g. "cute graphics", "competitive gamemodes", "movement", "mods", "open source", something like that).

Loving TW since 2010 smile

56 (edited by Alucard 2015-06-09 16:28:15)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

heinrich5991 wrote:
Alucard wrote:

and why don't you just leave the job of creating a vid for tw to the best video editing specialist in this community and he makes what he thinks is the best for it?

Well, if there is a video editing specialist that would do that, it'd totally be awesome. But I don't know anyone.

unfortunatelly, me neither, but there must be some1 within the community who has the skills to do it

57

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Well the person doesn't have to be a specialist in it, afaik.
I mean, if you weren't asking for something mind-blowing and fancy, and you just wanted something laid back to attract the intellectual type, which would be dumb, as that would mean less players, and those people would play the game after looking at the other trailer anyway, I could do it tongue

But I've just done video editing to my own specifications, and it was simply easy swap of videos and things such as that, which works, but my edits I've done for people (ex.) were all descriptive and corrective, no special fancy things at all. Putting audio tracks onto video, putting captions and pictures, etc

Personally I like Oblique and Zargon's ideas.

I used to be a heck of dork here...
But then a great Moderator exclaimed how I appear: "Kirby, you're inexperienced in social ways"
So to myself, I say... "Hey, I'll be around," And thus the true Kirbs, was righteously found. (after much time and experience elsewhere)

58 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-09 19:43:27)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Dune wrote:

Players can still change their executables but I'm pretty sure we cannot support modified clients, especially because the player should not think these clients are as reliable as the vanilla and we don't want to be responsible for them.

I guess I can understand that, but will it be possible to count gameplay time when using replaced executables? That's the thing which really concerns me - personally, I wan't to use DDNet Client and still got my time counted.

About the video: I guess it should mention the most important mods, because being open-source and moddable is really important. We could make a section with some easy and pro examples from various mods - like simple dummydrag and advanced edgehooks from DDRace, basic freezing and pro sacrificing from OpenFNG, standard battle and complex vehicle-based fight from Battle, beginners skirmish on zCatch and incredible fly-by frags, casual Infection gameplay and heroic defense, &c. It will show people that even if they don't like shooters or if they are worried about getting bored after some time, there is so much to discover, that they'll definitely find something for themselves. smile We could also choose the scenes showing basic rules of various gamemodes, like a DDRace with tees jumping into the finish line, OpenFNG with tees shooting each other and dragging the enemies into the spikes, etc. That could help people understand mods (maybe we could also show them how to make mods and mod maps visible?).

59

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

About the trailer:

We should probably create a separate thread in which people can submit their demos. I personally think that mods should be included, just because they're so diverse and widespread. Once we have a substantial amount of demos, anybody can attempt to create their own trailer out of the submitted demos, and we can later vote on whichever one we think fits best.
Just a suggestion.

A is for Apple.

60

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

I'm strongly against the idea of promoting modifications in an official video.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

61

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Dune wrote:

I'm strongly against the idea of promoting modifications in an official video.

May I ask you why? There are so many great modifications which add great features to teeworlds.

Maybe "promotiong" is too big word, but there should be word about community modifications in video?

62

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

That's great news ! But just to be sure : there won't be any "compatibility" issues regarding the servers and whatnot ? I suppose the Steam version will still use the same main servers.

Other than that, I'm really hyped to see one of my favorites multiplayer games on Steam. Especially in an era where if a game is not on Steam, it's really difficult to convince people to try it. :-/

And I'll address the elephant in the room : what about GOG ? GOG Galaxy is already in beta, and it'll have multiplayer support.

I've always hated members without signatures.

63 (edited by [pieLover] 2015-06-09 21:18:19)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

I actually contacted GOG recently, they said it was "an interesting game with good characters and weapons" but "too much of a niche" so they weren't going to go for it. I think putting demos of modifications (with video editing (to be clear, you don't need to be a specialist) to make it clear it's a mod) would be a good idea, as I know a lot of people who would look at the current trailer and think it doesn't have instagib, simply because it wasn't shown in the trailer, and then not try it out.

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

64 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-06-09 21:23:38)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Now even a community moderator of Steam asked for Workshop intgration...

I am no expert, but I guess it would be hard to provide mods in the Workshop, as most mods are server-side anyway and the rest modifies the executable, isn't it?
Regarding maps, it is not exactly easy to work with custom maps currently. You cannot just view them, you have to open the editor and browse the maps folder to find your maps. The casual user might expect a menu where he can just view his downloaded maps, if he "subscribed" to a map in the workshop.
Plus: Why would you even want to download a custom map through the Workshop, if you are not able to just play on it currently?
This would only make sense if one could easily set up an own (local or even internet) server ingame. Or at least try the map out on an internal background server.

A good thing to offer in the Workshop might be custom assets, as they are (comparatively) easy to create and just require the replacement of a certain image file. It would certainly be cool to individualize your client easily through the Workshop, especially for the casual user.

But I am not sure about the other things.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

65 (edited by Fifi 2015-06-09 23:21:00)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Dune wrote:

I'm strongly against the idea of promoting modifications in an official video.

I'm not asking to promote them - I just want to mention them in their own part of the video, after the presentation of vanilla gamemodes.

Please, keep in mind that mods are what keeps a lot (if not the majority) of players in game. Many people quickly get bored of standard gamemodes and prefer something more complex - they usually start playing mods and got involved in DDRace, OpenFNG or Race community. But they still play vanilla gamemodes from time to time, which they've couldn't do if they left after they got bored of it. So the fact is that a lot of mods even keeps the vanilla community alive. I understand that for most of vanilla players mods are not interesting and DDRace is pure evil - but please, take into account how complex in terms of intellectual and manual effort it is. It may attract a lot of puzzle gamers to Teeworlds and make them interested in vanilla as well. Also, what's the point of calling a game "open", if it disowns its own mods?

From the mods player (mostly) point of view, I don't treat vanilla like simple or boring gamemodes (maybe I'm getting bored of them too fast, but if somebody likes them, they're pretty fun and you can do amazing things if you master them), so please don't treat mods as they were weird or stupid (most of them are actually much more complex than vanilla). We are all tees and we should treat each other with respect and understanding, that's what makes this game's world so nice.

So, to sum it up - I don't want to promote them, I only want to mention them, because it wouldn't be fair to completely ignore such a big community (maybe even bigger than vanilla, as I said) and it would be a great loss for the players who might be interested in playing them.

JonastheRoman wrote:

Now even a community moderator of Steam asked for Workshop intgration...

I guess we should inform him that maps are downloaded automatically, the editor is already built in and the game modifications (except for the alternative game clients) are mostly server-side - therefore there's no urgent need for a Steam Workshop support. I think we shouldn't accept anything which may lead to paid art, maps, gamemodes or servers. We also shouldn't accept any NDA or license changes. If Steam Workshop could work without such things, maybe it could be useful, but I don't really see what greater good could really come for the price of mixing different application and graphical user interface into the game client. I guess we should instead create a database for skins, game skins, maps and mods. This could be accessible from game client, without breaking the immersion. On the other hand, the local map testing server feature seems nice, but it wouldn't be able to handle maps for mods.


PS. I know that mods are mentioned in the description and I'm really glad that they weren't forgotten. I just think that adding them to the video too would be really informative (we should also add short demos of vanilla gamemodes).

66 (edited by JonastheRoman 2015-06-09 22:45:41)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Fifi wrote:

I guess we should inform him that maps are downloaded automatically, the editor is already built in and the game modifications (except for the alternative game clients) are mostly server-side - therefore there's no urgent need for a Steam Workshop support.

I agree with you there. The only thing I would find useful would be skins and other visual customizations download-able through the Workshop, but this is also not a feature we urgently need, as it is really easy to download these yourself.
Also, building an official database seems like a nice idea. As Teeworlds is free and not Steam-based it would be bad to utilize the Workshop for this. And two "official" databases would be weird, too.

--

I see the point about not promoting mods in an official trailer, but I still think they should be mentioned, like Fifi said. Even just a brief glimpse at some mods at the end of the video would be nice, because it would really attract more people. And the argument of advertising the fact that Teeworlds is open while not mentioning mods is a valid one, too.

I could imagine something like this in a trailer: "Great modability and countless server-side modifications" followed by 3 second long glimpses of various mods in action.

Loving TW since 2010 smile

67 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2015-06-09 23:32:12)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Dune wrote:

I'm strongly against the idea of promoting modifications in an official video.

Although I understand your point of trying to separate the vanilla and the mods, gametypes like DDRACE completely changed the way Teeworlds works. DDRACE alone made what was but an original 2D shooter into a co-op platforming game and that's really impressive and deserves to be shown to the new players. People love 2D platformers and there aren't many good co-op (with actual coop) platformers out there. Specially with the brilliant tool that the hook is!

Edit: about the demos, once again, if anyone`s skilled enough to make a good video, please remember, we do not need flashy effects or anything like that. We only need a video that shows what teeworlds has to offer. Including the map editor, the costumization, the different weapons, the ninja, etc...  And the mods.. Maybe..? Like I said... They are kinda important... I mean. You don't need to spend 30 seconds with a textline saying "DDRace" but spending 30 sec with a textline saying "Supports Mods" showing different gametypes users have created is another story

#yemDX is a known troll
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

68

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

I've had this old demo of something similar to the Ubu dive shot, but (in my opinion) a bit cooler. Here's the complete demo file, skip to 2:30 ish.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/12vl9 … nk230.demo

My computer has a lot of trouble doing screencasts, so I'll just give you the demo file. Sorry for the inconvenience.

A is for Apple.

69

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

While promoting specific mods in the 'official' promo vids for Teeworlds is not a great idea (for the reason that it gives those mods extra attention, leaving out the rest), I do agree that there should be a small section demonstrating that there are mods, with maybe 3-5 second clips for several different kinds of play without naming which modes are shown.

I also agree that in a gameplay montage promo video, a fair amount of pistol, grenade, shotgun, laser rifle, and hammer should be shown. Not so sure about katana.

I've got two FNG maps which are close to ready for public release, hopefully they'll be on the forums soon! Aforementioned maps are on the back burner. Still doing mapping, but have higher priority map projects.
It should never take 45 seconds to download a map for anyone with a decent connection.

70

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Deku / mint-pi wrote:

without naming which modes are shown..

I'm not sure, if this wouldn't result in sad tees who can't find name of the mod which brought their attention. Therefore I guess names should be visible somewhere, but maybe only on one black screen after gamemodes showcase (aka "Featured vanilla gamemodes: CTF, DM, TDM. Features mods: OpenFNG, DDRace, ...").

71 (edited by baus 2015-06-10 08:35:27)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

I just discovered this topic and I have to say it's really great news to me even though I rarely play anymore - that's how much I like TW.

I'd just like to mention two ideas for promoting tw further in case they haven't been addressed already.

1. What about creating an TW-offshoot for browsergame-websites like jetztspielen.de ? I mean, if these sites make it possible to include download-links to advertise the "real" tw it would be even better. However, I could imagine that an offshoot would already be a nice additional advertisement for TW. Even though TW is no browsergame, I consider it to be the kind of game people who visit browsergame-websites are looking for.

Btw: I have already posted this idea in my last post on the topic "The great vanilla revival inititive". Back then I was totally stunned that seemingly few people saw the need to widen tw's audience. I'm all the more happy that my initial impression apparently was false. I don't want to sound dramatic but I just played a bit over the last couple of days and I've got say: TW is nearly dead. It needs to be revived - by advertisement.

2. Have you tried contacting gaming-channels/let's-players on youtube, twitch etc.? Personally, I'm not into that stuff but thinking about how famous some of these guys and girls are, I imagine it could be enough to enthuse one well-known let's-player/gaming-channel to give TW an extreme popularity boost.



Edit:

About this video: I haven't read everything and maybe I'm a bit biased due to my love for Instagib. Just to clarify: I do have much sympathy for vanilla especially since the development of instagib (i think the level of openfng comparably is quite low momentarily) forced me into trying out vanilla whenever I've been playing over the last 2 years.
However, I think that Instagib needs to be included in a possible video/trailer. The way Instagib works probably appeals to certain groups of people that otherwise may not become interested in TW at all. I became fascinated with Instagib because it's has an amazing simplicity and minimalism to it if you combine it with the general character of TW. Here's what you get with Instagib: Direction keys, jumps and a hook to move, additionally ONE gun - a laser gun (How cool is that? big_smile) - that kills with ONE shot. Incredibly minimalistic and FAST. I've never considered myself anything close to a "gamer" - and still don't. So, for me Instagib enabled me to quickly grasp the essence of the game: Instagib is beginner friendly while still allowing the players to continously improve, play at really high levels.

Vanilla on the other hand is of course playable at extremely high levels too. But in contrast to Instagib it also has the potential to cause total frustration for new players: I dont' see a newbie getting anywhere close to killing a really good vanilla player in a 1on1 (or even a ctf-game). However, for Instagib the one-hit-kill is an important characteristic allowing newbies to at least get a few random kills against much better players. --> A sense of achievement that keeps the victim big_smile hooked!

Take a timeless classic like pacman for example: A friend of mine doesn't play ANY games at all...except for an occasional pacman-game. Would he be doing that if he had to change weapons and stuff to kill the ghosts? I don't think so. Too complicated, too "game-esque".
---> Instagib's simplicity salvages the potential to make TW interesting for CASUAL players like me.

Sadly, the Instagib-community decreased enormously as the TW-community itself. (Of course, you still have openfng.) However, Instagib has already proven to potentially be one of the main partial-communities within TW next to vanilla (and now maybe ddrace even though it doesnt appeal to me).

You just can't fight the fact that Instagib used to be huge. --> Potential (again)

Last comment about openfng: The basic principle is the same as Instagib. However, openfng has this thing of players getting "frozen", then having to throw or "hammer" them into spikes, having spikes of different colours etc. I remain convinced that Instagib is THE mod to attract casual players and/or players that like a minimalistic, fast game.

72 (edited by Slinack 2015-06-10 10:01:50)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

baus wrote:

I don't want to sound dramatic but I just played a bit over the last couple of days and I've got say: TW is nearly dead. It needs to be revived - by advertisement.

Vanilla teeworlds is as dead as it gets. Most of the time you can't even get a ctf5 public game going.


@trailer-topic

I think Casualtee is a good enough placeholder. Until someone with good skills willingly comes along to craft something more trailer-ish with promotional words and stuff.
While teeworlds is clearly promoted as a "Retro multiplayer shooter", perhaps it wouldn't do much harm to give like 5~10 seconds to very briefly showcase the potential of mods (i would say instagib, race and dummy-dragging). Or maybe we could include those only in the 2nd video.

Either way, it all depends on someone with nice skills to assemble the whole thing.

73 (edited by baus 2015-06-10 11:16:23)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyUoUuYNbE

I like this video. It's a bit long but it contains all the important mods+vanilla.

Edit: Just wanna mention that I generally think it would be appropriate for an offical trailer to not show any player names. Even the name of the video creator in the beginning would somehow seem out of place...

In the video I posted the names seems removable. (At least if the creator still has the raw material)

HOWEVER, even with names I think the video I posted by "Mystique" is just awesome and miles ahead of this casualtee-thing! (And it actually shows real gameplay instead of just a bunch of short grenade-launcher-scenes randomely cut together.)

Oh, and what I also like is that the music seems suitable for the "mainstream" but still delivers a pretty cool feeling.


Edit²: After watching it again: Maybe one could remove some scenes, like the very last scene showing instagib on ctf5, or some of the ddrace stuff.

74

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

Sorry, I tried, but I can't understand why you are so much against Modifications. Especially now, when you want to advertise this game.

Do you want to get a lot more players or only a few?

Look, we all have our own tastes. If you show 238752 different possibilities you can find in Teeworlds, EVERYONE will find something for him. Even if he's not interested in fast gameplay and killing others always on the same map, he will play another Mod. But most important thing - he will play 'Teeworlds'.

If there are now so many people playing/loving only one (not official) Mod, why you don't want new players to be like that? Everyone has to start with CTF, DM?

A game with 3 types of game, which are quite similar, with very simple gameplay looks very very poor and boring.
You offer a lot more, so say it. Don't hide the truth, that they can find here much more they expect. Say "Oh, this Mod didn't convince you? Don't go away, we have something else for you!"

People will come here for one Mod, and some day they will look what other Mods are.

You guys should be $&*(#@ proud, that you made a platform, which players can use to design their stuff. And they did it very well. You should be proud of your players.
You should be like "look how amazing our community is, what they did with our open-source game, how we inspired them".

You know, it's a bit painful that some people worked so hard and you are like "it's not our business, we don't care at all". Would be best if these Mods died? Are we so much worse, because we don't like these official types of game? But hey, for some reasons (other Mods I guess?!) we are still here and didn't quit the game only because TDM is stupid.

You gave people the possibility to make other Mods and you can't be thankfull that they find your work so great and worth using it? Without you it wouldn't happen.

I thought you are developing whole 'Teeworlds'. More Mods made by your players made this game bigger and better.

Not everyone likes shooters, maybe someone wants to play alone. You can't understand Mods are a big (huge?) and important part of this game? Are these servers empty? No.

75

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
Dune wrote:

I'm strongly against the idea of promoting modifications in an official video.

Although I understand your point of trying to separate the vanilla and the mods, gametypes like DDRACE completely changed the way Teeworlds works. DDRACE alone made what was but an original 2D shooter into a co-op platforming game and that's really impressive and deserves to be shown to the new players. People love 2D platformers and there aren't many good co-op (with actual coop) platformers out there. Specially with the brilliant tool that the hook is!

No. The way Teeworlds changes will change how modifications such as DDRace work, not the other way around.
Plus the debate of which modifications to show is endless. I could argue that it's an even more radical changes that they've done with ball games, or that Race is a more suited, clean and teeish mod.

Lady Saavik wrote:

If there are now so many people playing/loving only one (not official) Mod, why you don't want new players to be like that? Everyone has to start with CTF, DM?

They can like whatever they want, that's fine. What we are developping is a game, not a game engine for other games.

Not Luck, Just Magic.