251 (edited by IcyPRO 2015-07-08 12:42:24)

Re: Teeworlds on Steam

This is the best news that could come from you guys! Look how blazingly fast was your game greenlit! Woohoo!!

First of all, thanks for doing this video guys! Looks pretty solid overall.

Some suggestions from my point of view:

Sonix wrote:
DerHase wrote:

I really like the ending of the video (map editor / own servers / mods) but I feel like the gameplay part is a bit too long and I'm not sure if custom skins should be shown.

Yeah, the gameplay shows some long and boring (no offence) scenes

I've to agree with them, would like to see some more dynamic scenes with multiple tees fighting with each other like on the screenshots. Currently it's too much focused on one tee and the others seem to be some sort of background actor /:

Could you disable the HUD in the gameplay scene after the editor? Would be great!
Also the spacing in the 'Opensource' scene, the gap on the right side seems to be smaller than the other two.

For the transitions (with text) a background like the one of the homepage would probably fit better than just a blank white one imho.

The credits look a bit weird, especially thanking the developers/creators of teeworlds in an official trailer. Personally I would rather remove the whole credits, not because I don't appreciate your work, but they somehow doesn't fit.

Looking forward to final result including sound (:

BeaR wrote:

The credits look a bit weird, especially thanking the developers/creators of teeworlds in an official trailer. Personally I would rather remove the whole credits, not because I don't appreciate your work, but they somehow doesn't fit.

I think it should be fine to credit the creators of the video, even inside the video itself.

BeaR wrote:

I've to agree with them, would like to see some more dynamic scenes with multiple tees fighting with each other like on the screenshots. Currently it's too much focused on one tee and the others seem to be some sort of background actor /:

Well, the reason why focus is put on one tee always is obviously that all demos were recorded from the view of the playing tee and not a spectator in freeview. To solve this problem demos from spectators (freeview of course) are required but i guess they are pretty rare or nonexistent at all.
Another possible solution that came up to my mind is to enable freeview also in demos that originally were recorded from playing tees and kind of fake the freeview effect of spectators. Sounds fine so far but there is still one problem left: demos from clients are clipped to a rather small window of sight in which other tees, pickups, etc. are visible (tees that are far away are not recorded at all).

so @Oblique. if you think you want to try the fake freeview thing tell me your OS and I will code and compile it for you.

@BeaR: keep in mind the screenshots were photoshopped tongue

Luck is allowed

255 (edited by Oblique. 2015-07-08 16:44:36)

BeaR wrote:

If you want to see more of that, give me more demos of that. But I personally think the gameplay is about as good as it gets.

BeaR wrote:

Could you disable the HUD in the gameplay scene after the editor? Would be great!

Oops! Didn't notice that! Thanks, I'll fix it.

BeaR wrote:

Also the spacing in the 'Opensource' scene, the gap on the right side seems to be smaller than the other two.

It is, but I don't think it's that bad. Fixing that is going to take a heck of a long time, but I guess I can try.

BeaR wrote:

For the transitions (with text) a background like the one of the homepage would probably fit better than just a blank white one imho.

After the humongous grid of mods and stuff, I thought I would keep it simple. I not sure what you mean by the background in the homepage, but I personally think that the white background is fine.

BeaR wrote:

I never intended there to be credits at all (it's an official trailer, right?) But apparently we have to provide credit for  sound.

EDIT; @HMH Thanks, but I honestly think that freeview demos would look terrible. It is possible to zoom in and zoom out for the demos, but I think the point of the gameplay demos is to make it look as similar to regular gameplay as possible. There's no point in showing other tees anyway if they really aren't doing anything.

A is for Apple.

Maybe demo recorded on server side would fit. You can render all the map with this, but you need server demo, and this is extremely rare than spectator demo ^^' (i have some but not really interesting)

rand() wrote:

Maybe demo recorded on server side would fit. You can render all the map with this, but you need server demo, and this is extremely rare than spectator demo ^^' (i have some but not really interesting)

I guess there are some server-side demos from the previous Teeworlds tournaments (?)

258 (edited by Kirbs 2015-07-09 18:57:27)

So is this the final version of the video of the trailer, and I can get to working on the sound? If not, please tell me, becasue I don't want to waste time on a red herring ;|

Whenever you decide something is fine smile

Of course applying the sound should be much easier than last time because most of the sound was near the intro, then the song happened, then some "Byoop" noise near the end, so I could just make sound for this and do it again for any changes, but I like not doing (things that might be) pointless(ly) tongue

no

259 (edited by Oblique. 2015-07-11 04:23:12)

Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

So is this the final version of the video of the trailer, and I can get to working on the sound? If not, please tell me, becasue I don't want to waste time on a red herring ;|

Whenever you decide something is fine smile

Of course applying the sound should be much easier than last time because most of the sound was near the intro, then the song happened, then some "Byoop" noise near the end, so I could just make sound for this and do it again for any changes, but I like not doing (things that might be) pointless(ly) tongue

No, it's not done yet.

EDIT: OK, I fixed the HUD problem in the "Host your own servers" scene.
www.mediafire.com/watch/vh9iloyla3ma508/TWTrailerCP35.av

I also took out the "Special thanks to" part of the credits. I kind of would like to know exactly how we should provide credit for the sound, because as BeaR stated already, there honestly isn't a place for credits in an official trailer.

A is for Apple.

260 (edited by Landil 2015-07-12 16:52:52)

Just to throw in an idea regarding the sound and video effects of the trailer ...
I've quickly made up a song how I personally think (not officially speaking) teeworlds should sound. Some jungle drums at the beginning plus some atmospheric jungle sounds, then the ninja scream and finally some fast paced sound. The lyrics are supposed to underline the main reason for playing teeworlds: run, fight, kill, capture wink

download video sample

edit:updated video

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

That makes it sound like a Kirby game, ^^
I'll consider something like it though, but.. I don't think that will attract many players hmm

no

262 (edited by Oblique. 2015-07-12 19:10:40)

Landil wrote:

Just to throw in an idea regarding the sound and video effects of the trailer ...
I've quickly made up a song how I personally think (not officially speaking) teeworlds should sound. Some jungle drums at the beginning plus some atmospheric jungle sounds, then the ninja scream and finally some fast paced sound. The lyrics are supposed to underline the main reason for playing teeworlds: run, fight, kill, capture wink

download video sample

edit:updated video

This is AWESOME, Landil. I really like the main music theme and I think it fits well with Teeworlds. Techno music isn't very relevant to Teeworlds, but your sound track seems very apt for this. I like the jungle sounds part at the beginning too. I'm not sure about the “Run, Fight, Kill, and Capture” lyrics, though.
Anyways, this is great!

A is for Apple.

^ +1

264 (edited by Zargon 2015-07-12 21:47:48)

@oblique: I wouldn't define it techno, maybe retro-ish (= teeish)

It fits very well in my opinion, great job Landil

Zargon wrote:

@oblique: I wouldn't define it techno, maybe retro-ish (= teeish)

It fits very well in my opinion, great job Landil

That just proves that my english sucks big_smile
I meant that Techno music wouldn't be fitting, but that Landil's retro-ish music works great.

A is for Apple.

266 (edited by Kirbs 2015-07-13 20:37:10)

Huh?

"retro-ish" describes nothing in this case, (retro=old style)what do you mean?

That music was WAY too hyper (and extremely annoying D;) if you ask me, I'll definitely use his version of the beginning though.
Hurts my stomache to hear the song at present form.

Also how does techno not fit? Vanilla teeworlds is all about the rhythm, and that song was the only thing that wasn't copyrighted (so far) that spoke of that correctly.

That music would fit pretty well if it was slowed down. And the lyrics just don't sound good with the happy-tee music. I'm bad at looping things, but if you DO make changes to that, I'll try to loop it and get it into a position where it can be used for the whole trailer. I still think the current fits better hmm

EDIT: Thought about it, and looked it over some more, the music he suggested would be better than the current music if we just left the lyrics out and made the song a tiny bit less hyperactive. Teeworlds is more about tactics than plain aim-shoot crazyness.

no

i'm quite flexible regarding the lyrics

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Hmmm. I personally like the way Landil's song is fast-paced and hyperactive. It's adorable. Techno music does not seem to go well with cute little fuzzballs blasting the shit out of each other on a side-scroller, arcade style game. I suppose that's what Zargon and I mean by "retro-ish". I think the lyrics should probably be removed, though.

A is for Apple.

lyrics in general = instant music ruiner

I don't think the trailer should have lyrics, I haven't listened to it yet but from prior experience, after hearing 1 second of lyrics in a video I tend to hit the mute button to avoid hearing any more. (the fact that it has lyrics is why I am not currently interested in listening.)

I've got two FNG maps which are close to ready for public release, hopefully they'll be on the forums soon! Aforementioned maps are on the back burner. Still doing mapping, but have higher priority map projects.
It should never take 45 seconds to download a map for anyone with a decent connection.

Landil wrote:

i'm quite flexible regarding the lyrics

Thats nice, the music sounded great without them. smile

no

Wouldn't the trailer be a bit too bland if it was just music + demos? I think something like those lyrics or written text would be good for people that don't fully understand what is going on in the video, I mean when showing ctf/dm gameplay

Written text. Oblique could just show one of those lyrics on screen for a few seconds, then take it down, then put a different up, in certain intervals. Then the lyrics wouldn't be so annoying, because they wouldn't be there, but the message would still get through.

no

Lyrics in a game trailer song? Uhh, that doesn't seem to be fitting tbh..

IcyPRO wrote:

"Run, Fight, kill, capture"
But I removed it and I am working on a chiptune-rock song without lyrics. So please chillax

Landil wrote:
IcyPRO wrote:

"Run, Fight, kill, capture"
But I removed it and I am working on a chiptune-rock song without lyrics. So please chillax

Thanks! <3

Kirby [!Pixlez!] wrote:

Written text. Oblique could just show one of those lyrics on screen for a few seconds, then take it down, then put a different up, in certain intervals. Then the lyrics wouldn't be so annoying, because they wouldn't be there, but the message would still get through.

What is there to explain? Teeworlds is pretty straightforward.

A is for Apple.