1 (edited by heinrich5991 2020-07-08 17:15:00)

Topic: Server Rules

Since there have been some issues with some mods recently we decided to clarify the rules for servers in the server list.

• A modified Teeworlds server must not use a standard gametype (dm, tdm, ctf, lms, lts)

• The player count shown must resemble the amount of human players. The maximum player count must be the maximum number of human players. Update: As of 0.7.x, you may broadcast non-human players to the server list using a special bot flag. This allows client-side filtering.

• Don't host an excessive amount of servers. There is no fixed limit but try to not overdo it. (i.e. there should be people playing on them eventually)

• Do not host servers purely for advertising purposes (e.g. passworded & having only an advertisement as name; having sponsoring info or the likes in the server name is perfectly fine).

• Don't (knowingly or unknowingly) impersonate other people's servers. This starts at the name. Try to use one that is not too similar to the ones currently in use.

If you wish to be notified about problems with your server(s) you may provide a contact email address in your MOTD.

Edit 2014-01-20: Advertising rule added.
Edit 2018-01-18: Edited player count rule (allow NPCs to be broadcast as such), update standard gametype list // Dune
Edit 2020-07-08: Added rule about server impersonation. // heinrich5991

Re: Server Rules

Thanks, finally we can read rules, and not to be surprised by finding own servers in masterbans list :C
How about rude/insulting names?

These rules can't be exhaustive, and you still have to use a bit of common sense. If you fake 200 servers, use their title for advertisement and redirect these to one server, you merit ban (that happened a year ago or so).

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Then let's hope our motd will save us from Dune's ban-hammer^^

Having a message of the day will not save you from a banhammer, and I'm not the one who's deciding bans, even though I'm supposed to embody everything evil here.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

6 (edited by HeroiAmarelo 2013-07-23 13:18:14)

m!nus wrote:

[*]The player count shown must resemble the amount of human players. The maximum player count must be the maximum number of human players.[/*]

*DC* Mod servers got banned because of having 1 fake player, that is not even fake.
To Play DC you need a dummy, and that dummy is counted as a player.

Please test the game type and see how it works instead of banning it.

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HeroiAmarelo wrote:
m!nus wrote:

[*]The player count shown must resemble the amount of human players. The maximum player count must be the maximum number of human players.[/*]

*DC* Mod servers got banned because of having 1 fake player, that is not even fake.

As far as I have understood in this case the mod maker would have to hide the dummy and not show it as an online player. Therefore the server can also actually have 16 slots instead of just 15.

8 (edited by 2013-07-23 21:31:04)

GBKing wrote:

As far as I have understood in this case the mod maker would have to hide the dummy and not show it as an online player. Therefore the server can also actually have 16 slots instead of just 15.

That doesn't work like this. The server would still have to send the player/character info to the ingame clients, but not to the clients that only request server info from the browser.

Heroi wrote:

Please read shit before calling people incompetent:

minus wrote:

The player count shown must resemble the amount of human players.

Dummies aren't humans afaik, unless they are some kind of underpaid chinese workers.

----------------------------

Removed several flaming posts.

It seems some people here are misunderstanding (even though you're probably just not reading). I'm going to try to make this clear a third. HeroiAmarelo, you're openly insulting and provocating people who are just stating rules that you do not understand. Make sure your next posts are no longer rude or I'll consider you as warned and will not be as kind as now.

• A human player is an unique character linked to a client on a PC. It is not emulated by the server, it does NOT have to be constantly active, it's just a regular client connecting to the server, no matter what the player is doing.

• Dummies are NOT forbidden on a server. It is possible to make bots on a server and to NOT show them in the browser server list. Broadcasting dummies as players in the server list IS forbidden, because it leads players to think this server is not empty and they will find real players to play with.

If you have other questions or complaints, do not forget your manners. If you don't think you can reply in a mannered way, don't reply.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

and you ****(censored due to "i don't want to get banned"-reasons)...

i'm sorry for telling the truth, but none cared about this one dummy, but you...

you just had nothing todo that one evening! so you decided to "check" some senseless rules!

I mean everybody who was interested in this mod knew that there is one ummy inside, and as far as i know you don't give any chance to new mods, so why have you visited these server?

How can i be sure that my mods won't be banned the next time, i mean, even if i respect all (i mean ALL, no matter how stupid they are) rules, you can decide to ban the server for fun! i asked and i got the permission to show that the server isn't empty

#yemDX is a known troll

• The rules did not change.

• I'm not in charge of rules editing, or mod bans, m!nus is.

• You've been explained on IRC why this is wrong. The fact your mod is "new" is no excuse to fake non-empty servers, other modifications HAVE made sure their dummies were not broadcast (ZOMB, some DDRace mods, I don't know the names), there is no reason for you to be an exception.

• I did not decide to ban the servers, simply reported the issue to the responsible.

• The rules are nowhere close to stupid when you think about them 2s, you're just acting selfish

This was an information bulletin on the rules, not a poll on who thinks he would benefit from having one down. You can be sure your server will not be banned if you read the rules in the first post. At the contrary of what you seem to think, the people in charge of that are responsible and don't act as selfish as you tell.

Edit: for the reference, https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … 744#p52744 (credits to Oy).

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Alright Dune.
You're right. I was kinda bully last day. I'm sorry for that.
About the "an unique character linked to a client on a PC", please explain me.

Can a server get banned if I do use 2 clients at the same time?
Can a server get banned if I do have 2 afk players at the same time?

About the *DC*,
Well, you'll never find 15 players connected to a *DC* server, so the 1 fake (that is not even fake because it is needed on the gameplay) does not disturb the game that much.

Can it be hidden from the server player counter? I'm not sure. Pikotee needs to try that.

But anyway, I don't think that 1 fake player is a reason to ban a server,
It's not like having 5 or 7 useless fake tees.
It's 1 necessary fake tee.

Please try to reconsider the ban appeal.

- Günther Branlutte

Even though you weren't rude this time, you just don't seem to read me. Every of your questions or complaints have been explicitly answered. I could selfquote for every of these but I'm really not motivated for that.

About the "several times same client", it's the server problem and it's not responsible for that issue (e.g. not a ban reason).

Not Luck, Just Magic.

HeroiAmarelo wrote:

But anyway, I don't think that 1 fake player is a reason to ban a server,
It's not like having 5 or 7 useless fake tees.
It's 1 necessary fake tee.

Please try to reconsider the ban appeal.

You're missing the point. ZOMB has a bunch of fake players, for example. It's that the server is broadcasting the fake player as a REAL player. That's the issue here. If *DC* didn't broadcast the dummy as an actual player (not taking up a slot), then it'd be allowed and unbanned.

Ex-King of Teeworlds

Concerning patching the player count:

m!nus wrote:

The simplest way to fix the serverinfo/playercount would be to patch the serverinfo packet assembly in CServer::SendServerInfo (engine/server/server.cpp) I guess.

(Source post)

Concerning ZOMB: The rule applies, only human player count in the server list.

So what about that XXLDDRACE with 64 Slots?

Servers with >16 slots don't show up in vanilla Teeworlds.

If I got the gist of the rule correctly, it states that you must not advertise your server with more players than connected humans, in order to be able to join populated servers. Therefore, the servers which enable vanilla clients to join a server with more than 16 clients are tolerated as they don't show up in the serverbrowser with more clients than they actually have.

18 (edited by frecel 2013-07-29 07:59:38)

m!nus wrote:
  • Don't host an excessive amount of servers. There is no fixed limit but try to not overdo it.

Do huge amounts of empty servers hurt the performance of master server in any way? Because I personally can't imagine how that would be and if this is just aesthetic thing because a huge list of Moc and Inspire servers looks stupid then it's a largely a pointless rule since all you have to do is filter out empty servers.

frecel wrote:

Do huge amounts of empty servers hurt the performance of master server in any way?

I think the problem is that hosting many servers is a form of adv. (It've happened already).
There was a guy who was adv. himself with 50 empty servers with the name "Visit my webpage. Teeworlds server hosting".
That's pretty annoying.

- Günther Branlutte

The masters don't mind a lot of servers but for clients the serverlist will unnecessarily take longer to load (more servers to ping).

OK Im a bit late her (Im not checking the forum frequently) but I have to say that the fake tees realy annoyed me.
This was also bad for the DC servers because its not my habit to check how many people are playing (since I checked the "haves people playing box". So it end up that 3-5 times I entered an emty DC server and since then my brain filters them out like all the race servers (I dont like race).

Added an advertising rule.

Beyond advertising, it seems fairly obvious that you should not try to report fake servers that cannot be played on to the masterservers for the sole purpose of having them in the list.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

But would hosting a passworded server named "NEW IP: x.x.x.x" when you move your server to another machine/provider be okay? I ask because it's kind of advertising, but it helps people organize their favorite servers and would usually online only a few days.

Niki49 wrote:

But would hosting a passworded server named "NEW IP: x.x.x.x" when you move your server to another machine/provider be okay? I ask because it's kind of advertising, but it helps people organize their favorite servers and would usually online only a few days.

If it's an actual server and not a hack, yeah it's all fine.

Not Luck, Just Magic.