1 (edited by Dreamy 2008-06-30 23:04:09)

Topic: [MAP] Tweaked by Dreamy - DM

dm_twe_tweak
Gametype: DM
Game Version: 0.4.2
Original Map:
dm_twe by toni
http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1627
Comments:
I tried the map, felt it had potential, and started to see several details that could be improved by quite simple changes. So got tempted to do just that. Once I started, I saw more things, and in the end pretty much every platform got it´s shape and position slightly changed.
Screenshots:
http://img55.imageshack.us/img55/5448/dmtewtweak11ia0.th.pnghttp://img78.imageshack.us/img78/1096/dmtwetweak2pn2.th.pnghttp://img45.imageshack.us/img45/5284/dmtwetweak4la9.th.pnghttp://img45.imageshack.us/img45/7366/dmtwetweak12mc2.th.png
Download link: http://filebin.ca/djpspu/dm_twe_tweak.map

What I did:
1. Adjusted for jumping distances. Wherever it would make sense to reach a platform by single jumping or double jumping from another, it should be possible to do so. In practice, this meant moving most platforms very small distances, and changing the shape of them to work with jumps between several neighburing platforms.

2. Removed what in my eyes were unneccessary twists and bumps in the ground. If a twist or bump has no real purpose, it only gets in the way when you move across the map.

3. Made sure that where neighburing platforms are close in height, you olny need to jump in one of the directions - their relative positions are adjusted so you just have to walk down in the other direction.

4. Tried moving around on the map and identified where movement felt awkward, and made small fixes.

5. When it came to adjusting the background doodads and such to my changes, I found that the map had 3 layers just for doodads, which I thought was a bit much. I moved the doodads from one layer onto the other two. Thus ending up with just two doodads layers, foreground and background. Still looks the same, except that the grass is now backround in some places, and foreground in some places.

6. Moved the shadows to the foreground. Personal taste thing, really.

7. Made sure that High details off removes all unessential background and foreground. That is, all except the sky.

Re: [MAP] Tweaked by Dreamy - DM

@Dreamy - I really hope you asked toni if it was ok to modify and release the map before you posted it here!?!?

I did not. Now pherhaps you can explain what´s so bad about that?

its ok, i dont play teeworlds that much anymore, i dont really care
i spend more time posting in this forum than playing^^
(thx for mentioning its my map)

Thank you toni.

Meh, I believe in taking what you can and modding it anyway big_smile Anyway, nice map.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

@Dreamy, maybe I am old fashioned, but it is an unwritten rule amongst online mappers that you don't pilferage anothers work before you ask!

Hmm, according to some random dictionary hit on google pilferage = steal. Is that correct?

I wouldn´t see this as stealing. More like a suggestion on how the map can be better. Was just easier to just do it than to describe it. It´s not like I didn´t give him credit for the original design.

In any case, what is the purpose of such a rule? To me, it just seems contraproductive. My perspective in this reasoning is the will for the Teeworlds community to have access to many good maps to play on. If all mappers just did their own maps not caring about others, all maps would have the flaws of some particular mappers thinking. In contrast, if a lot of mappers focused on the same maps, fixing eachother´s mistakes and such, we would end up with a higher general map quality - and I would think that´s what we want.

Now I´m fairly certain that there´s still stuff on this map that can be better, I´m just not the one who sees them. Further mods on it would be interesting to study.

It´s hard for me to respect an unwritten rule that doesn´t make sense to me. Or, rather, it´s quite impossible. Can you make it make sense?

next time ill put a copyright on the map xD
(and stop quarreling now^^)

Just for linguistic accuracy: To pilfer is to steal, and pilferage is the act of stealing, or what was stolen during the stealing.

deny_post($poster);

@Dreamy, I'm just saying that the old school rule was that you should always ASK first! It is mostly out of respect for your fellow mapper.

You did the right thing by stating clearly that it was a map from toni, that was correct. But still it should be toni's decision whether the map should be modded or not.

As for your perspective - there is a simple old saying: Too many cooks spoil the broth.

Dreamy wrote:

Hmm, according to some random dictionary hit on google pilferage = steal. Is that correct?

I wouldn´t see this as stealing. More like a suggestion on how the map can be better. Was just easier to just do it than to describe it. It´s not like I didn´t give him credit for the original design.

In any case, what is the purpose of such a rule? To me, it just seems contraproductive. My perspective in this reasoning is the will for the Teeworlds community to have access to many good maps to play on. If all mappers just did their own maps not caring about others, all maps would have the flaws of some particular mappers thinking. In contrast, if a lot of mappers focused on the same maps, fixing eachother´s mistakes and such, we would end up with a higher general map quality - and I would think that´s what we want.

Now I´m fairly certain that there´s still stuff on this map that can be better, I´m just not the one who sees them. Further mods on it would be interesting to study.

It´s hard for me to respect an unwritten rule that doesn´t make sense to me. Or, rather, it´s quite impossible. Can you make it make sense?

I fully agree.

Also this "too many cooks spoil the broth" is non-sense. Ever server maintainer can very well decide and pick which cooks broth he wants to host. There is nothing lost if two people work in parallel on two different traits of the same map base.

13 (edited by Dreamy 2008-07-06 16:08:10)

munyul wrote:

@Dreamy, I'm just saying that the old school rule was that you should always ASK first! It is mostly out of respect for your fellow mapper.

You did the right thing by stating clearly that it was a map from toni, that was correct. But still it should be toni's decision whether the map should be modded or not.

As for your perspective - there is a simple old saying: Too many cooks spoil the broth.

I still don´t understand exactly how this would be disrespectful.

I would rather say that not letting me do this would be disrespectful to me. I´ve tried to "make my own maps", and I will eventually, but I kinda lack basic ideas and inspiration. Now, when I tried this map, I saw things that could be clearly better and I was inspired to make it happen.

Now if I had asked, gotten a no and respected that, I would be missing out on my first opportunity in a long time to practice this art. Heck, even if I had gotten a yes the waiting for a reply would stop me from starting right away. Where I could have taken another step, I would be forced to stand still, and I would certainly feel badly about it.

What is so important that it is worth that sacrifice?

Map is realy good I think, I found no bugs and I realy like to play this map.
Very, very, very good work! I think I´ll put it into maprotation on our clanserver ^^
Realy good job!

I highlighted some of what you wrote:

Dreamy wrote:

I would rather say that not letting me do this would be disrespectful to me. I´ve tried to "make my own maps", and I will eventually, but I kinda lack basic ideas and inspiration. Now, when I tried this map, I saw things that could be clearly better and I was inspired to make it happen.

Now if I had asked, gotten a no and respected that, I would be missing out on my first opportunity[b] in a long time to practice this art. Heck, even if I had gotten a yes the [b]waiting for a reply would stop me[b] from starting right away. [b]Where I could have taken another step, I would be forced to stand still, and I would certainly feel badly about it.

disrespectful to you?? I'm afraid that I can't follow that leap in logic.

You seem to be very self-centered, do you only care about what you want or do you care about others as well?

re·spect dictionary
- to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.
- to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with.

Again, it is an unwritten rule - I'm guessing you're young!? Young people do whatever they want, because they know best anyway - so just ignore me and do whatever you like.

In the good old days, no respectful person would touch anothers work without asking. I know of one case where someone waited for more than a year to get a reply - these days it's obviously different...

16 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-06 17:40:37)

munyul wrote:

Again, it is an unwritten rule - I'm guessing you're young!? Young people do whatever they want, because they know best anyway - so just ignore me and do whatever you like.

In the good old days, no respectful person would touch anothers work without asking. I know of one case where someone waited for more than a year to get a reply - these days it's obviously different...

I'm old. And I consider this a breaking point on the tee community. I say we can expect a lot of better and reacher data when we treat work freely.

Especially Dreamy has made a perfect example how it should be done. He paid credit to the original author. He explained in detail what has been changed, he marked the map as changed, so it cannot be mismatched by the original one. What the hell is wrong with all that? Nothing.

For example in science its a rule, you can take any idea you want, as long you cite (pay respect) the original author. No author may claim, that was my idea, you have no reason to use it all!

I say, Dreamy you are right, if an author is an idiot and really feels nobody is to be allowed to base any new derived work out of his, than it first its *his* job to complain, not the job of somebody else inplace of him/her. Second if he just has to complain say you derived some of munyuls map, *then* he can still post a "cease and desist order" and you must revoke your work, until then don't pay too much attention to this nay-sayers and creativity brakes.

17 (edited by munyul 2008-07-06 18:33:04)

@catpaw, you already stated you do whatever you want.

"than it first its *his* job to complain, not the job of somebody else inplace of him/her."
I was simply stating that it would have been better practice to ask first.

In your world is there a place for such words as; ethics, principals?

"Second if he just has to complain say you derived some of munyuls map, *then* he can still post a "cease and desist order" and you must revoke your work, until then don't pay too much attention to this nay-sayers and creativity brakes."
So, everything is legal until you get caught??? lol

U all aren´t posting to the topic. vote for close!
[close] ^^

Appleten wrote:

U all aren´t posting to the topic. vote for close!
[close] ^^

+1

Yeah.. You freaks should check out some philosophy forum instead of bitchin around big_smile lol

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

Let's continue this in the flaming thread.

deny_post($poster);

22 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-06 18:55:33)

munyul wrote:

So, everything is legal until you get caught??? lol

Not directly, its not illegal if the person concerned doesn't mind.

"no complaint, no redress"

Especially with copyright law, you *cannot* enforce to copyright of any other person, only your own. Now please stop people derailing from doing creative work for teeworlds. I consider this a perfect example how it should be done, and if tony minds, its just an issue between toni and dreamy. Never between you and me, you and dreamy, you and toni, me and toni or me and dreamy.

All you achieved is that from now on I'm to ask every single contribution on the forums with 'cc-by-nc-sa?' Otherwise the whiners come up if somebody else uses it.

Actually if you stay strict to law you are not allowed to even run a single map from the forums on your forums without consent of the author. Redicolous, isn't it? Because nobody writes a big 'license' to any map he shares, the posts usually just go, 'look a designed this map, its cool isn't it?'

lol @catpaw

"no complaint, no redress" = "what they don't know, doesn't hurt them"

"Actually if you stay strict to law you are not allowed to even run a single map from the forums on your forums without consent of the author. Redicolous, isn't it?" what?

24 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-06 19:11:56)

"no complaint, no redress" = "what they don't know, doesn't hurt them"

No thats something different, nobody especially dreamy never made a secret of using stuff (changing) from other maps. Thats not 'they don't know'.

munyul wrote:

"Actually if you stay strict to law you are not allowed to even run a single map from the forums on your forums without consent of the author. Redicolous, isn't it?" what?

No one ever gave explicitly out permission even to redistribute the map s/he uploads on the forums, so if you are a law hieratic, nobody is actually allowed to even run it on his server, because the server uploads (redistributes) it do clients connecting.

munyul wrote:

I highlighted some of what you wrote:

Dreamy wrote:

Now if I had asked, gotten a no and respected that, I would be missing out on my first opportunity[b] in a long time to practice this art. Heck, even if I had gotten a yes the [b]waiting for a reply would stop me[b] from starting right away. [b]Where I could have taken another step, I would be forced to stand still, and I would certainly feel badly about it.

disrespectful to you?? I'm afraid that I can't follow that leap in logic.

You seem to be very self-centered, do you only care about what you want or do you care about others as well?

re·spect dictionary
- to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.
- to refrain from intruding upon or interfering with.

I care about what I think is best for all, and I include myself in all. Since I know myself better than others, naturally most of my actions will be based on what I feel and think.

The way I see it, moral is a means to an end. If a principle doesn´t serve a purpose, it is unneccessary. Rules should exist for good reasons. My arguments so far have all been what I would consider good reasons for not having such a rule.

You seem to mostly be referring to what you consider to be an already established consensus. Well, it might be, in other communities. This community however, is rather new, and it seems to me that no consensus has been established yet on this subject. That´s why I think you need to specify why using somebody elses work is disrespectful, cause like I´ve already said, I don´t see it.

@everyone-who-thinks-this-discussion-is-offtopic: I think not. What better place to discuss if something is right or wrong than where it´s done? I think we need this discussion, to determine what is and what is not accepted in the teeworlds mapping community. I mean, I or someone else will most probably want to do this again, so it is definitely not just a matter between me and toni.