Re: [CLIENT] Nodes 1.0.2

The mod is still unstable unfortunately. Plenty of servers are crashing. I agree with Mo2 about sunlit forest and even nodes2. Blue is at a disadvantage without the high ground. Also, the laser is absolutely dead useless with only 2 hp at a time. I don't care if it can penetrate shields, it is really useless and is not something worth trying to get tech level 3 for.

Other than those issues, I love the depth and gameplay. I think this is what will make teeworlds take off if it was supported officially. It's everything I like about teeworlds but way more.

Strange yikes
Every time I play Nodes it seems that the reactor just looses health by itself...weird sad

Once in a century...

Nilaya wrote:

Also, the laser is absolutely dead useless with only 2 hp at a time. I don't care if it can penetrate shields, it is really useless and is not something worth trying to get tech level 3 for.

But overriding the shields could help in some deadlocked situations to break through (and for sure is even usefull as normal weapon against tee's). So I think the laser is ok.

Probably some deadly laser-turret would be nice that fire as crazy but needs lot of time to bild (minutes). I know such heavy-stuff made a lot of fun in games like "Total Annihilation". The gameplay advantage was based on (lot, lot) longer build times. There was even 3rd party builders that made mega-killer-machines for cheap (and that destroy balance). But with original units you was able to choose if you build a big army with weak(er) firepower or try to stay alive with small base and put many resources into just one big unit that could took many many minutes to build until it was finished and keep protected in meanwhile (but when it was finished it was a nightmare to your enemies). Anyway that's just an idea. I think there are enough different buildings to give fun.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

the most important step to get nodes to a next level is to create good maps. Most maps have far too much building points and are easy to defend. Just ask NoxNebula about the time he spent into nds_supremacy (the only official map)

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

To all hosters: Please lower your max player limit to 16 players. It seems you can crash normal TW-Clients if more then 16 players are playing (as it was again the case on my server).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

31 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-20 14:58:43)

Landil wrote:

the most important step to get nodes to a next level is to create good maps

The best map doesn't protect you from server crashes and even does not protect you from guys that run around and self-destruct your well placed equipment. I know you have started a map contest and I think it's a good thing. But I already like more then one map. More maps would be good. But if the servers continues to crash all the time (which means players have to start from scratch again and again) and others are making crap with self destruct your map can be pure gold... it would not help.

nds_supremacy

Is the only map with huge FPS problems. I know I can switch back to low-detail but I never needed it in any map of Teeworlds - so I excluded this official map from my map-list of the server.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Mo2 wrote:
Landil wrote:

the most important step to get nodes to a next level is to create good maps

The best map doesn't protect you from server crashes and even does not protect you from guys that run around and self-destruct your well placed equipment. I know you have started a map contest and I think it's a good thing. But I already like more then one map. More maps would be good. But if the servers continues to crash all the time (which means players have to start from scratch again and again) and others are making crap with self destruct your map can be pure gold... it would not help.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Report the crashes (best solution would be if you provide a backtrace) and we'll solve the problems. Maybe we will add a server option for building self destruction.

I forwarded the above mentioned crash to inherited. Besides, if people want to join nodes development they are welcome.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

I guess some guys does not support mods I remember...  but I still do. If you server-hosters would get a stable version run your nodes server via gdb. In Linux you can do it this way:

user@server:/nodes-folder# gdb --args ./nodes_srv -f config.conf
(gdb) run

After you get a segmentation fault please enter the command "backtrace":

(gdb) backtrace

And post the content (and even a few lines of the normal logging above to get a clue what happen before the crash).

In Linux you can even run all the stuff with "screen" so you don't have to keep your shell open all the time. If you don't know how to use "screen" take a look here: http://ddrace.info/forum/showthread.php … =1#post146

Greetings,
Mo(2)

If you are hosting a server with nodes, please set "sv_max_clients 16" in your server's configuration file. Otherwise, you'll be banned from the master servers because your server is a potential threat.

Btw... is there a possibility to vote for maps to get into official "nodes" maplist afterward? Even the startpositions are not 100% balanced right now I would vote for nodes_sunlitForest. Maybe it's just because I started with that map as the first map that got players in it... but anyway I like it. big_smile

Speaking of official maps... the current maps (even the beta ones) are included in the SVN tree. That would not make them fully official. But anyway if you host a server you would need maps and if you already get a lot of maps with your source or binary provided it may be very well you would choose it and they would played afterwards. wink

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Maps which participate at the nodes map design contest might get official if they are good.

37 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-20 15:44:08)

Yes I know Landil... I read your site (even you dislike 3rd party graphics at the map-contest). But what is with the current provided maps? You said only supremacy if official. What's with sunlitForest? I prefer it over supremacy even if it's not 100% balanced right now (and yes I know how many time you can spend into map building).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Mo2 wrote:

Yes I know Landil... I read your site (even you dislike 3rd party graphics at the map-contest). But what is with the current provided maps? You said only supremacy if official. What's with sunlitForest? I prefer it over supremacy even if it's not 100% balanced right now (and yes I know how many time you can spend into map building).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

inherited wanted to provide as many maps as possible. Even those which are crappily tiled. People can improve them if they like. I did not want to spread them in the world. But you cannot undo it.

* Landil announces that noone should host a nodes server with sv_max_clients > 16 and sv_register 1. It will result in a server ban :-(

*update* Kottizen allows us to use the 32master.kottnet.net master server

Here's another (different) crash:

[4d863ff3][game]: kill killer='2:Zushi' victim='4:Bl4ck L!ght' weapon=2 special=0
[4d863ff9][chat]: 0:-2:.:{ n! | L }:. JUMPY <3: du bist der beste dm spieler den ich kenne#
[4d863ffc][game]: kill killer='3:Mo(2)' victim='5:Connection Lost' weapon=2 special=0
[4d864001][game]: kill killer='3:Mo(2)' victim='0:.:{ n! | L }:. JUMPY <3' weapon=2 special=0
[4d864002][chat]: 5:-2:Connection Lost: ich zocke aber kein dm
[4d864005][nodes]: reactor fail!
[4d864005][nodes]: reactor fail!
[4d864008][chat]: 8:-2:warriors dance: insta?^^
[4d86400a][chat]: 4:-2:Bl4ck L!ght: xD
[4d86400b][chat]: 5:-2:Connection Lost: du meinst vanilla?
[4d86400c][chat]: 0:-2:.:{ n! | L }:. JUMPY <3: aber bei nobes killst du jeden
[4d86400e][game]: kill killer='6:Solibaba' victim='8:warriors dance' weapon=2 special=0
[4d864012][game]: kill killer='5:Connection Lost' victim='7:[/|\]Wolfe{Ru}' weapon=2 special=0
[4d864015][chat]: 0:-2:.:{ n! | L }:. JUMPY <3: *node
[4d864018][game]: kill killer='5:Connection Lost' victim='12:PacMan[RUS]' weapon=2 special=0
[4d86401b][chat]: 0:-2:.:{ n! | L }:. JUMPY <3: **nodes
[4d86401b][game]: kill killer='6:Solibaba' victim='4:Bl4ck L!ght' weapon=1 special=0
[4d86401d][chat]: 5:-2:Connection Lost: big_smile

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7f189cb806f0 (LWP 3239)]
0x0000000000431b84 in BUILDING::die ()
Current language:  auto; currently asm
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x0000000000431b84 in BUILDING::die ()
#1  0x0000000000432136 in BUILDING::take_damage ()
#2  0x0000000000432a4c in BUILDING::tick ()
#3  0x000000000042c58b in GAMEWORLD::tick ()
#4  0x000000000042ac72 in GAMECONTEXT::tick ()
#5  0x000000000042db66 in mods_tick ()
#6  0x000000000041c172 in server_run ()
#7  0x000000000041caa3 in main ()
(gdb)

Greetings,
Mo(2)

Landil wrote:

* Landil announces that noone should host a nodes server with sv_max_clients > 16 and sv_register 1. It will result in a server ban :-(

How can one use it?

heinrich5991 wrote:
Landil wrote:

How can one use it?

Check masters.cfg in your AppData directory.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

And again (different) crash:

[4d865962][nodes]: character is dead
[4d865962][game]: kill killer='13:gH0StArthour' victim='13:gH0StArthour' weapon=-1 special=0
[4d865962][game]: kill killer='15:GreYFoX' victim='15:GreYFoX' weapon=-1 special=0
[4d865962][nodes]: resetting
[4d865962][nodes]: Reinit buildings!
[4d865962][nodes]: sending updated tech levels 1 && 3
[4d865962][nodes]: sending updated tech levels 1 && 1
[4d865962][chat]: 9:-2:Rayzor [german]: =P
[4d865965][chat]: 7:-2:[/|\]Wolfe{Ru}: REVENGE !!!!
[4d865968][chat]: 15:-2:GreYFoX: xD
[4d86596c][chat]: 15:-2:GreYFoX: i kil lyou
[4d86596f][chat]: 5:1:Goldgang: mit mo und grey is lustig ^^
[4d86596f][nodes]: Player 9 chose 1 as spawn
[4d86596f][nodes]: Player 9 chose 0 as spawn
[4d865970][chat]: 7:-2:[/|\]Wolfe{Ru}: not! i kill you!
[4d865971][nodes]: Player 15 chose 69 as spawn
[4d865972][nodes]: Player 15 chose 51 as spawn
[4d865972][nodes]: Player 15 chose 13 as spawn

Program received signal SIGSEGV, Segmentation fault.
[Switching to Thread 0x7fb1b5eb66f0 (LWP 3570)]
0x000000000042f741 in PLAYER::on_direct_input ()
Current language:  auto; currently asm
(gdb) backtrace
#0  0x000000000042f741 in PLAYER::on_direct_input ()
#1  0x000000000042d9e8 in mods_client_direct_input ()
#2  0x000000000041b33c in server_process_client_packet ()
#3  0x000000000041bbb7 in server_pump_network ()
#4  0x000000000041c1ed in server_run ()
#5  0x000000000041caa3 in main ()
(gdb)

yikes so many crashes yikes

offtopic: Chat button smile smile

Once in a century...

It crashed again in meanwhile but it was again the die() function which I reported already. It kills to much currently. The server should not die. wink - Means at least 4 crashes this day and it seems no crash that was caused by classical server-crasher-bugs (which I'm afraid are even there).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

We need a way to stop team killers from destroying reactors asap.

Once a player joins a team, they cannot switch teams until the end of the game (To prevent sore losers from other team to join yours and kill your reactor)...

48 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-22 02:43:37)

But he can just disconnect and join the other team... even with another name and another IP or a second Nodes-Client. I still think some min-kill-score would be helpfull. Even if he switch or reconnect with another IP or client it does not matter - he must at least do something usefull first and that took time. It's to less to place just a dummy-client at the other team... he would not get score without doing something (probably with a bot that is shooting noobs... but I'm pretty sure you would see it soon). This would prevent quick changes caused by similar like: "I hate you all... switch/reconnect/... self-destruct everything as long nobody see me or I get not kicked".  ...but he can still destroy your buildings with weapons. So some "weapons does not affect your own buildings" meight be necessary too.  But the later one would change the current gameplay. So I prefer some chat-warnig if somebody with too low kill-level destroys something (similar like you get reactor-attack warning right now).

Greetings,
Mo(2)

49 (edited by Mo2 2011-03-22 02:53:09)

Nilaya wrote:

We need a way to stop team killers from destroying reactors asap.

Many of that "team-killers" that do it soon after the start of the game are no real teamkillers but guys that know the map and even know the current startpos of the reactor is bad. In theory mappers could protect the reactor with level-II-metal-blocks... or set the startpos fair so nobody like to replace it soon. Many are frustrated by guys that are repairing the reactor that would be nuked by such a reason. And I'm sure others are even furstrated because they think "oh no my reactor...!!". Since the reactor is a main-building (and in some maps it's a bad idea to self-destruct it for replacement reason to early) some team-only voting could be an option in such case. Or at least some maps needs to be balanced.

Greetings,
Mo(2)

How about if someone kills their own reactor, they get a 30 min ban smile