26 (edited by ghost 2011-02-12 20:02:37)

Re: development or "What the hell is going on?"

impossible wrote:

Maybe i not about theme but i want say about my idea for the new client, i think about time join on the server possible was look wallpaper is mod or add to motd.

I do not get what you mean at all. If it is about an idea what should be implemented in the the new version, this is definitely not the right place.

About that font incompatibility stuff: That really is not much of a problem. I play with the latest github version of teeworlds all the time, and of course, it can be annoying sometimes, but this is not a major problem. Also as Sushi said before, when we release 0.5.3 most players will update to it, since there will also be an in-game message, if one is using an
outdated client.

What I believe needs to be done now is to create a small list of features, which we want to have in 0.5.3 and then freeze 0.5.3 . Then we need to make sure we get a very stable and bug-free release out there, and we will have plenty of time to concentrate on the major 0.6 issues. I believe there is not much to be done anymore, as most things are quite good atm. But we are getting more and more features, more and more new ideas for 0.6. If we keep it going like this and don't concentrate on the important 0.6 issues (implementing race, e.g.), we will never have a 0.6 release, as there are more and more features comming.

In my opinion the actual vanilla balance is not the problem. Its just... if you are a beginner and you want to play vanilla its really hard to learn it. You can only play on servers full of other beginners were you could not learn enough to become successful. If you will join a server with better players they are mostly arrogant and ban them instead of give them tipps. Yeah its boring to play against noobs but teeworlds lost much good players wich get bored of the game and if the new players will not get a chance to learn they will leave too.

It would be nice if there is in future a system wich let you join a server with players on your and a bit higher levels. And maybe there should be a tutorial included in the client were you can practise movement and aim.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If teestrike could be played without an extra client it would be great i think. Maybe it should be added as a gametype ^^ . Call it Vanilla extreme xD and the basic Vanilla gets vanilla classic.

However the main problems at the moment are the integration of new players and keep teeworlds interested for the old players.

green -> greener -> Flo
*gV* rocKs

28 (edited by Blue 2011-02-12 22:08:49)

Interesting topic. It's nice to hear some information about the development. I just browsed through the discussion and Ill say my opinion about some interesting statements.

Teeworlds needs a new map!

Well in my opinion there are many good custom vanilla maps. They could be used as official maps in the next release. The problem is that no one hosts or plays them so they dont become known. So ppl dont create more maps. But I think if you look through this forum you will find quite a lot of high-quality custom maps (e.g. MDC-maps). The devs should really consider using some of them in the official release. And hosts of vanilla-servers should look at the forum n host more non-standard maps.

And if anybody is building a "new" map he only uses the Standart tiles, with standart Backround and Mountains!

There are very few good graphic sets. The last tileset was released 3 months ago. To the artists (not the mappers) of this forum .. make more tilesets backgrounds and doodads.

there is a real need for more communication between the devlopment sphere and the community

I dont think this is the fault of the community. xD
But this thread is a nice step of the new dev-team. Go on this way. Maybe discuss changes in the forum.

New Weapons  |  Jumppads

I think these changes of the gameplay would be rly great. Maybe in some next version you have a pool of six weapons and only 4 in each map. This way maps would become more unique. And the jumppads would help to make the games more interesting too. Simply test how it turns out. Make maps unique concerning movement and pickups.

Release 0.5.3

I think the release of a new version is rly needed now. If nothing happens with this game for a long time, more and more players will turn to other games. Release a new version or you wont have players left when 0.6 is out xD

Thx if you read this far, alot of text. Sry. And theres still so much more to say xD
Keep it on.

void ..

totally agree with Zatline big_smile

ah and some mods have disappeared suddenly .. like Hprace, DummyDrag, and Fly ...
(but that [N]race and "City" maps (verynonsense) still alive! ) -.-
now the old mods are comming back by some old players with servers
.. and i hope they keep alive in 0.6.0, pls !

I am happy about race becomes official, thats pretty nice !
*---*  (why it took so long for this to happen? )
and yes, the game needs new maps.
x] .. (with less bugs, pls)

*~°~~°~ Ryomou Wins... Flawless Victory ! ~°~~°~*
Support me: Subscribe!
[Fatality]

Blue wrote:

To the artists (not the mappers) of this forum .. make more tilesets backgrounds and doodads.

It's very hard to create a tileset and it takes very much time!

Crises wrote:

hum i know some mappers (in races) and they really make new maps every week
=o

[Fatality]

Crises wrote:
Blue wrote:

To the artists (not the mappers) of this forum .. make more tilesets backgrounds and doodads.

Yes, it's true, it is hard! sad

Ryomou Hentai Girl wrote:
Crises wrote:

hum i know some mappers (in races) and they really make new maps every week
=o

Cause Shortrunmaps are the easiest maps and they take ~10 minutes to create...

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

34 (edited by Sushi Tee 2011-02-13 02:11:43)

Crises wrote:
Blue wrote:

Especially when there are ppl who complain about every little detail like me xD

Anyway... pls back to topic

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Tee Killa wrote:

Cause Shortrunmaps are the easiest maps and they take ~10 minutes to create...

smile
i am not talking about shorts ... but anyways ... x]
they always create their own tiles, and the graphic art looks nice
search for "Pma" and "Mc" clans, they are clans who create maps for races
;P

Sushi wrote:

Yes Sir
hmm

[Fatality]

36 (edited by ghost 2011-02-13 02:22:09)

The problem is, the graphics do not only need to look nice. If they are official, they need to fit perfectly into teeworlds. There have been many discussions about what exactly is "teeish" so I won't bring that back on again, but you could have a look at news.teesites.net. Landil has posted a lot about his progress in working with the tilesets there. If you have a look there, you will easyly realize, that creating really good tilesets and doodads is not as easy, as one might think in the beginning.

EDIT: you might also have a look at his blog directly: http://landil.posterous.com/

How about winner of MDC gets a chance to make an official map? big_smile

@ alias

Sushi wrote:

xDD
so.. lets create a topic to talk about maps ^^
smile

[Fatality]

Teeworlds development is not dead, we just have the courage to change, and deliver on the promises. Remain compatible with the older version is a very narrow limits, which does not grow this fantastic game

alias wrote:

How about winner of MDC gets a chance to make an official map? big_smile

I like this Idea, but there are gaps, becouse most of all mapper are not good enough to make official maps, but maybe may give them someone tipps, someone like Chi1, to become better, when the winner is (still) not good enough for making official map.

I can already call some mappers, that can make an official map even without a tips. But they didn't participate MDC and are pretty inactive right now.
I'm talking about Steph and Ubu.

Stay wild big_smile

Hi all, i have something to say about developers/users communication

1. imho, it would be great to have a rss feed. It is convenient for both users (no need to check sites everyday) and developers (news will be known immediately after anounce - fast feedback).

2. less is more (and vice versa). I mean that more smaller news may be better than less bigger. For example: now you are going to release 0.5.3, why do not say "hi guys, we are about to release 0.5.3! Hot time! Test our nightbuilds this week and send your bugreports!"? Or "Some news about teeworlds developing (link to this thread)". And yes, rss is just for such things.

Thanks for amazing game!
Sorry for my english

Just to let you know: It is not sure if there will be an 0.5.3 release soon, or not. It was just a suggestion, and we do not have a response from Oy about that yet. However, we had some talk about that topic in irc today. Matricks was involved there, too, and he also supported our idea of releasing a 0.5.3 version of teeworlds. But do not rely on that, It is not for sure yet.

44 (edited by Deleted User 2011-02-13 23:42:47)

Some information from the irc channel:

<Sworddragon> matricks: To reply your post from a few hours before: Rotating tiles and the charset are the current incompatibilities from 0.5.2 to 0.5 trunk
<Sworddragon> In my opinion we shouldn't release it as 0.5.3 because of that
<Landil> Sworddragon:  and winter doodads are not compatible, too
<Sworddragon> It's annoying if official clients get such a weird behaviour
<matricks> Sworddragon: then disable that change and release 0.5.3
<minus> ^this
<Sworddragon> matricks: That's a good idea smile
<Landil> except the grass graphics all tilesets have some incompatibilities

And after this:

<matricks> or just screw the whole thing and release the current as 0.6.0

I prefer the 0.6.0 release but removing all incompatibilties and releasing 0.5.3 is in my opinion an acceptable solution too.

meanwhile i prefer the 0.6 release too because of the thing Ubu mentionied in irc... we would get rid of every cheater and we would get rid of every shitty mod.
It will take some time until they get back... it maybe wont take that long to create new cheats but it will take time to spread it around smile

But im fine with 0.5.3, too as it is more reasonable becauser there are only a few incompatible things... well actually only the tile rotation is worth mentioning wink

About the tilesets landil is creating... I guess this is for 0.6. So it would prolly be a problem to release 0.6 now...

...still wating for Oy's response hmm

teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

utf8 support is also a little problem. It will not create real problems, but it just looks very ugly if you see aquares instead of special chars. However this should not be the real problem.

47 (edited by Slinack 2011-02-14 07:45:53)

About power ups, instead of having a specific spot, some of them could appear randomly in the map. (Just like those crates in Worms)

And I wanna suggest this: I remember from Red Alert 2 this "Iron Curtain" feature, which makes the unit untouchable for some seconds. I'd rather have this than a shield. It would last just a few, but useful, seconds. People would certainly fight for it. smile

edit:
About utf8 support:
For the english-speaking community, it's no big deal.
But, for example, I was speaking with a friend and when he typed the word "sóbrio"(portuguese) I got this "s□o".
Of course I couldn't understand what he was trying to say. That's the real problem.

edit2:
I also think the mod Hold the Flag could turn out into a cool (official) gametype if it gets, somehow, improved.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Var [TNB wrote:

I can already call some mappers, that can make an official map even without a tips. But they didn't participate MDC and are pretty inactive right now.
I'm talking about Steph and Ubu.

The gameplay is nice but .. the maps have lots of bugs.
x_X

Slinack wrote:

About utf8 support:
But, for example, I was speaking with a friend and when he typed the word "sóbrio"(portuguese) I got this "s□o".
Of course I couldn't understand what he was trying to say. That's the real problem.

In trunk version i cant see anything, and i use english language (sometimes i cant see what people with another lang write and also some nicknames...) My language is also portuguese, but if i choose this, its even worse.
I prefer using 0.5.2 because of this, too.
Everyone has problems in trunk version.
sad
And still have some idiots crashing servers and stuff.
...dont know why, but my ping is higher there in every server... i get "time out" and "connection problems" all the time.

[Fatality]

Slinack wrote:

About utf8 support:

This is no problem because this problem will be automatically solved when everyone is using the new version wink
This problem only happens when one person is usint 0.5.2 and the other persion is using a new version... I even tryed to write my Nickname with japanese characters... Was working great smile (ofc with a font which actually contain those characters)

Basically utf8 is no valid reason to stay on 0.5.2... the font tw uses by default in the new version contains many more characters then the font in 0.5.2... only to mention the cyrillic alphabet...

*gV* rox ^^

Sushi Tee wrote:

This is no problem because this problem will be automatically solved when everyone is using the new version wink
This problem only happens when one person is usint 0.5.2 and the other persion is using a new version... I even tryed to write my Nickname with japanese characters... Was working great smile (ofc with a font which actually contain those characters)

Basically utf8 is no valid reason to stay on 0.5.2... the font tw uses by default in the new version contains many more characters then the font in 0.5.2... only to mention the cyrillic alphabet...

Wow, wait, cyrilic is gonna be added in 0.6?

Stay wild big_smile