Re: [COMPETITION] Teeworlds MDC 2010 Discussion Thread

I only tested the maps few minutes, sometimes less. Here is my opinion if it can help you.

How I rated:
A: It seems to be competitive. Weapons, movements, items seem be to be coherent. It seems to use the possibilities of the gametype and the game.
B: It looks like an official map, but something is wrong in the map (it can be weapons, items, movements, competitivity etc.)
C: Almost everything is wrong (movements, items etc.)

What does it mean:
A doesn't mean that your map is good, but that you are in my opinion on the right tracks.
B means that in my opinion you can still correct things to make it better.
C means that either the map doesn't fit the contest, either you should start from scratch.

Maps:
ctf_glasy_glas:
Unable to download

ctf_burningsands
Rate: A
I would like to see more space at the bottom/middle, right now if you want to have some speed you quickly become a predictable target. So I guess that by playing with the height it could enhance the map.

ctf_oasis
Rate: B+
The major problem is about the paths, there are no shocking points. The different paths should cross in a way that you have to meet other people. It makes the game much more interesting, exciting. For example of shocking points, look under the bases on ctf2.
Also I don't think that putting two lasers really close is a good idea.

ctf_darkness
Rate: B-
Same remark as for ctf_oasis about the paths.
Some places have a lot of space, especially on the edges, which is kinda weird.
The unhookable tiles don't really seem pertinent at first sight.
The hole on the top of the map is really weird.

ctf_caveman
Rate: A-
I think it would be good to narrow a bit the corridors, to make it more easy to move. Right now it seems there is too much space.

ctf_grasshopper3
Rate: A+
It seems promising.

ctf_glaciers
Rate: B
I hate that at the bottom of the map, there is a blue layer. I understand the idea, but it is not good in practice. It is harder to see items, tees...
Items and movements could be improved, try to contact me or steph, we made a map with similar movements. It can maybe help you.

ctf_atacama
It is too dark, I am scared. (same comment as for ctf_glaciers about the layer)
I quite like the top of the map, as you can easily hook/move. About the bottom, it seems that you have been to lazy to think about it. One long corridor won't work...

ctf_sliper
Rate: C
Start from scratch...

dmx_DeathMatch
Use highdetail options...
Avoid small corridors.

dm_santa
I have the feeling that making a vertical map with different floors isn't a good idea. There is something to change in my opinion.

dm_desertsunrise
Rate: B+
I think you should think more about the placement of items. I am not sure what you aim here, but if you don't change it I think you should aim for a 1on1 map. Or you could extend it to aim 2on2. In any case try to place the items to make the map competitive.
The laser in the middle isn't probably a really good idea.

dm_plus
Items, weapons, platforms seem to have been put randomly.

run_gt3
Rate: A
It sucks that you released it, now we can't use for a future teeathlon.

H_race7
Rate: C (you probably already know why)

Uuu thanks for the hint Ubu, I will update the link tomorrow. My fault.

» Use the Search Function before opening multiple topics...
» Member of: JsA - Just stay Alloha! (since 2009)

About the bottom, it seems that you have been to lazy to think about it. One long corridor won't work...

ye actually, this was meant to be a temporary solution. I've just been 2 busy to rework it so far.

79 (edited by Tee Killa 2010-12-16 15:17:05)

FYI: Updated my Downloadlink.

Ubuntu, pretty hard to balance such a big map. Unfortunately, you weren't rating graphics, but thanks for the gameplay review, i'm mostly agree with it.

Stay wild big_smile

ctf_glasy_glas
Rate: A-
The map itself is coherent, but it seems kinda boring to play. It is quite flat, with no major obstacles. It reminds me ctf4, but better, as there is more space to move.

If I were you, I would try to make the map more exciting. A little hill in the middle isn't really an obstacle, try to inset some vertical movements, an obstacle. It could be a hole, a wall, some unhookable tiles...

82 (edited by choupom 2010-12-19 13:23:12)

Updated ctf_burningsands.

At middle : I have cut a bit the platforms (where there is armor), and i added more space horizontally.
At prebase : I resized the prebase so there is more space, especially between the platform and the shotgun.

I think it would be nice if some of the participants would be rewarded with emblems, or trophies, for things other than winning. For example:

Singularity
This award goes the the most unique and one-of-a-kind map! This includes maps that have no apparent gameplay to any others!

Most Simple
In some ways, simplicity is better. Prove it by showing off this award to the rest of the community by creating the most simple but nice map!

Show Off
The more, the better! Show your graphical talent by loading your map with custom tiles, animations, and more! Make sure to stay within the size limit though.

Tiny Tots
Create the smallest map! Maybe you can make it small but nice smile

Giant
Achieve this award by making your map the largest of all!

alias wrote:

Giant

I like this one!

Stay wild big_smile

alias wrote:

Giant
Achieve this award by making your map the largest of all!

I'm not sure Ubu will rent additional hard disk space for your 100GB map.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Has to be under 450 KB i think.

87 (edited by Tee Killa 2010-12-27 18:47:51)

FYI: Once more updated my map. Now it has a new style, which means I replaced the glas tiles with desert tileset because I didn't like the tileset anymore... And I also change the middle part, where now a pit is. Ofc the map has another name now cause glasy_glas didn't fit anymore.
So @Marik and the ones who judge: Please redownload the map!

Thanks

Tee Killa wrote:

FYI: Once more updated my map. Now it has a new style, which means I replaced the glas tiles with desert tileset because I didn't like the tileset anymore... And I also change the middle part, where now a pit is. Ofc the map has another name now cause glasy_glas didn't fit anymore.
So @Marik and the ones who judge: Please redownload the map!

Thanks

i hate you.

xDD no joke, but what the heck i just made a new map for the mdc and it looks nearly the same..
now i have to change the theme or it will look like i stole things from you and i have exactly the same hole...

here is a screenie: Click with GL.

89 (edited by Tee Killa 2010-12-27 19:05:39)

Don't change anything because it looks similar to mine. Just let it as it is.

//edit: Well yea... it's somehow funny big_smile
//edit2: Btw, you are only allowed to submit one map per category.

Marik wrote:

You may only submit one map to each category.

AwayD,

Those long ways to the infinity at the top sucks. Delete them to prevent hammerflight.

Stay wild big_smile

Tee Killa wrote:

//edit2: Btw, you are only allowed to submit one map per category.

I meant i delete my old map

Var [TNB wrote:

Delete them to prevent hammerflight.

what is hammerflight? O.o

just take a look at ctf5.The ways are about the same length, even longer.

AwayD,

when 1 player hammers 2nd, and 2nd hooks 1st. So this way they can stay at the air for a long time.

Stay wild big_smile

93 (edited by AwayD 2010-12-27 23:31:11)

Var [TNB wrote:

AwayD,

when 1 player hammers 2nd, and 2nd hooks 1st. So this way they can stay at the air for a long time.

ok, but i think this is not the reason why long ways suck xd
you can do this in every map

Var [TNB] wrote:

AwayD,

That doesn't work on pure servers, only on mods wink

Not Luck, Just Magic.

95 (edited by Var [TNB] 2010-12-30 01:42:28)

Made some last fixes to the map (the ways are now a bit less wide).

Dune, it works.

Stay wild big_smile

Dune wrote:
Var [TNB] wrote:

AwayD,

it does work on ctf... o.o

alias wrote:

it does work on ctf... o.o

No, or at least it doesn't work as well on mods. The mods who expect you to do so generally give you an overpowered hammer.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

First of all @ theolol plz rename your dm map. dm4 shouldn´t be used as title for a custom made map since the name could be used for an new official map.

To sum it up in totall:

12 CTF maps
6 DM/ TDM maps
3 Teerace maps

will be judged.

There are 3 teerace/race maps disqualified because they weren´t submitted via pm to me.

I´d like to thank all participants , there are some awsum maps within the submitted ones. You have all done a great job.

Now its time judge smile

Greets Marik

Marik wrote:

There are 3 teerace/race maps disqualified because they weren´t submitted via pm to me.

So all teerace maps which were presented officially are rejected?
I dont know how the other mappers think about it but i dont want my map in the next teeathlon so i presented it in the forum..

visit our clan!
=Eagle=

Delo: wrote:

So all teerace maps which were presented officially are rejected?
I dont know how the other mappers think about it but i dont want my map in the next teeathlon so i presented it in the forum..

Srsly is it just me thinking that your post is a shit load of bullshit ( sry if i may be rude ) now but why did you even post your map in thread there if you dont want it to be a teeathlon map ? Open up a thread for the map if want it to present officially.

In fact the idea of being part of teeathlon mappers as prize  for the winners was positive commented by many users. Although i got "only " 3 maps i´m surprised how well the participants did. 

Take a closer look at the race maps which were submitted in the thread the 2 of them arent even teerace maps so they got disqualified anyway. yours is the only one which may have been judged from these 3.