Re: [COMPETITION] Teeworlds MDC 2010 Discussion Thread

we, the deveopers and the testers of the racemod want to make the teeraces popular and not the runs which are popular already and are still possible in the new race mod (even better).
This is because the teeraces fits much better the prupose of the race mod since the time really matters and not if you actually reach the finish or not. About short races... well i wouldnt even call it race... i would call it lazyness of some mappers. Also teerace have good grafics which fits to teeworlds and not just some ugly colored grass_main tilesets.

Anyway... this is not a discussion about which races are better. Marik is here to decide what he wanna do.

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

I thought there were no custom tiles allowed unless you made it yourself... but anyways. Would you be biased and judge the winter maps better?

remember my words when you have only 3,4 or 5 maps in the race squad for the competition

i won't take part this year if only teerace is allowed

Stop whining and tell us exactly what you can't do right now with the default settings of the latest race mod version. If something is missing, I am sure sushi will be glad to add it.

You can go on #teerace to contact us, or open an issue there: https://github.com/SushiTee/teeworlds/issues.

i actually dont care if nobody send in teeraces cuz its one server less i have to host for the winner wink

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

31 (edited by analog 2010-11-03 15:58:07)

TheGnaa wrote:

remember my words when you have only 3,4 or 5 maps in the race squad for the competition

i won't take part this year if only teerace is allowed

then don't take part, its not like any of us are going to go to bed and cry or anythiing.

make with what you get

http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopi … 529#p73529 YES FIRST ENTRY

i just said that i won't take part what's the matter??:D

i wish you good luck and have fun

Jon wrote:

— Maps cannot be posted for critique; contestants will be disqualified if this is found out about. In addition, no special images from the map may be released before the contest ends.

So can i post my entry on my posterous? Or no?

you can post it on your blog i wont mind

The questions i posted earlier are still unanswered or maybe i just missed the answers.
- How many maps may i submit?
- Who judges?
- Do the newly released tilesets like the new winter mapres count as standard tilesets?

void ..

Blue wrote:

The questions i posted earlier are still unanswered or maybe i just missed the answers.
- How many maps may i submit?
One per category
- Who judges?
skilled people who have proven their knowledge about maps
- Do the newly released tilesets like the new winter mapres count as standard tilesets?
As long as these mapres aren´t within a release they dont count as standard tilesets

How can i prove my knowledge about maps to become a judge?

alias wrote:

Well i dont need more judges for this tournament.

alias wrote:

and you already submitted a map ^^

alias wrote:

Get known in the CTF scene, make great maps, famous in the community.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Marik asked me if I could judge some maps. I think it would be good if the judges were involved during the whole process.

It would mean that any participants could show his maps to the judges and ask them for advices/criticism.

It is more likely that mappers will be ready to modify their map during the contest, than after the contest.

Who judges?
skilled people who have proven their knowledge about maps

Weird answer. I expect that everyone with the title judge knows a bit of the subject he will judge. I just want to hear some names of the ppl responsible for this contest.

void ..

Hello. As the MDC organizer, I was planning to do one this year, but since there were no updates and not very many new maps (at least in the field of CTF and DM) I didn't think there would be much interest.

It troubles me a bit that no one asked me about this, or sent an email on here or the DE forums. Even though I may have "dropped the ball" this year by not hosting one, I would still think that others would need permission; I was still planning it after all. I wasn't inactive either; I was reading the forums but not posting. Because I didn't think that there was much mapping going on, I was waiting for a good moment to start again.

However, I might be willing to take the back seat on this one. I might try to code a website, but probably not since there is such short notice. I would also give the steampunk weapons as prizes (if everyone is OK with that) and make the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place skins if no one else is.

A few things we should probably do better this time: we need a better system of ratings. Instead of e-mailing it to me, if we had a website we could edit the posts on the site with the ratings. That way, I would not have to interpret each of the MDC judges' ratings, which was a huge problem last year.

Also, I think we should have a German section (again, if we have a website). This would HUGELY expand the amount of entries we get. However, we would need someone to translate the rules and final judging in to German.

Finally, we need a better way to contact eachother. One way we could do this is to start an IRC channel, instead of sending emails. This would also allow users to ask more questions without commenting in the thread.

I need to figure out something to put here.

Jon wrote:

Also, I think we should have a German section (again, if we have a website). This would HUGELY expand the amount of entries we get. However, we would need someone to translate the rules and final judging in to German.

Crap. People can at least post in english their map, and they CAN they're just too lazy to use english because they prefer their little favorite language. And why not for russians? And for chinese maybe?
Supporting other languages would be a really bad idea in my opinion.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

45 (edited by Marik 2010-11-07 15:17:55)

Jon wrote:

Hello. As the MDC organizer, I was planning to do one this year, but since there were no updates and not very many new maps (at least in the field of CTF and DM) I didn't think there would be much interest.

Vanilla mappers need just motivation such as a contest to put it simple most of them are lazyin terms of mapping since quality maps need a lot of time.

It troubles me a bit that no one asked me about this, or sent an email on here or the DE forums. Even though I may have "dropped the ball" this year by not hosting one, I would still think that others would need permission; I was still planning it after all. I wasn't inactive either; I was reading the forums but not posting. Because I didn't think that there was much mapping going on, I was waiting for a good moment to start again.

As statted before mappers are lazy.I dont see any reason to wait for something which could be as simple as that. We have the rules maybe a little modfication, call some people for being judges and just wait for submissions. Well i think everytime is a good moment since it keeps the community alive.

However, I might be willing to take the back seat on this one. I might try to code a website, but probably not since there is such short notice. I would also give the steampunk weapons as prizes (if everyone is OK with that) and make the 1st, 2nd, 3rd place skins if no one else is.

Why complicating simple things and take this out on another platfrom when we already got a forum.

Well for prizes I dont think skins and gameskins aren´t really motivating at all. Something like the maps will be part of a official community map pack or the maps are part of a tournament such as TeeAthlon is kinda more attractive atleast for me.

A few things we should probably do better this time: we need a better system of ratings. Instead of e-mailing it to me, if we had a website we could edit the posts on the site with the ratings. That way, I would not have to interpret each of the MDC judges' ratings, which was a huge problem last year.

totally agree on introducing a proper system.There 3 things a map consists: Graphics, items and the playable ground.  So if you judge Graphics, Itemplacement, Movement you are all good with it.

In fact why do you wanna split up the community ? We are one community, we communicate in one language in here so why separate the germans from the community there shouldn´t be any exceptions. If people aren´t able to communicate in english then they might find ways ( friends, translaters w/e) t submit their maps 

Finally, we need a better way to contact eachother. One way we could do this is to start an IRC channel, instead of sending emails. This would also allow users to ask more questions without commenting in the thread.

right now we are good with the two threads here one for submissions + one for discussion. But IRC channel is a good idea.

Well if you wanna start over this contest again i wont mind since i more likely took the lead of this by force.
Feel free to contact me at the teeworlds channel @quakenet Jon so we can have a proper discussion about this

Greets Marik

no entries..

Yes yes, everyone is very sad about the fail in entries.

But alias, in the information in your map dm_desertsunrise, you pickup details are incorrect. You only have 2 shotguns, not 3, and the third one is replaced by a Katana, which you also failed to mention. wink

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Marik wrote:

Well for prizes I dont think skins and gameskins aren´t really motivating at all. Something like the maps will be part of a official community map pack or the maps are part of a tournament such as TeeAthlon is kinda more attractive atleast for me.

Surely the maps being played is way nicer than getting some gameskins, but it is a nice addition. Maybe you could provide the winners with a complete graphical set of a main, doodads and a background, and allow them make a map with it first. The community might get it later. smile

alias. Good ideas => maps need time. I have no idea of what I might submit by now. Something blue, so far. Give more time to the participants. smile

void ..

Blue wrote:
Marik wrote:

Surely the maps being played is way nicer than getting some gameskins, but it is a nice addition. Maybe you could provide the winners with a complete graphical set of a main, doodads and a background, and allow them make a map with it first. The community might get it later. smile

alias. Good ideas => maps need time. I have no idea of what I might submit by now. Something blue, so far. Give more time to the participants. smile

oh yeah. i edited the map, because i felt it needed one more, and changed the shotguns to 3. but then i decided to change it back, and then forgot to change the shotguns.

50 (edited by Blue 2010-11-20 19:14:20)

Dune and all others. This is the thread to post stuff like "Please post a screen." Not the other one, only post maps there. smile

void ..