Re: [MOD] Tee-Strike

Well, servers can change the buy time afaik, so it'd be nice if someone hosted a "noob-friendly" tee-strike server with long buytime. (correct me if I'm wrong about the server setting)

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

I totally agree.
Many times I played tee-strike, and one team would win just because one of the tee's has an XXLCake or Bigmama, and wipes them all out.

If you don't make the buy time longer or give them a force-field, then at lest spread out the tee's, so it isn't so easy to kill them all at once.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

I just thought because the servers are often empty and when you where killed 8 seconds is not very much time to buy a weapon and some ammunition. I think increasing the sv_gamestart to 12 would be enough and then there would be much more players on the server.
I think the first impression of a mod counts (I know it from my own) and it's not that good when you get killed 3 times in a row without having even a chance to fight.

The annoying thing is that the players who actually know how to buy will have to wait like forever before they can start to play = no good solution.

I'm still not getting what you think suck about the buy system. Please EXPLAIN and give constructive critisim - how could it be done instead? WHAT is wrong? The current things you tell me is just useless information and doesn't make me wanna develop the mod.

About the invincibility: yeah, might be a good idea. Will try this in 0.1.1.

about the buy system... u dont need to change it... the problem is he just dont like it. I wish there were no buy system at all but that would make the whole mod pointless i guess. And well i know how to buy and can do it fast enough. So thats not the problem (if u use the client... without the client its unplayable without binds)

If u find another solution instead of buy system pls implement it so u can change between buy and the othere one where i got no idea what u could use xD

uptee - a simple web interface for hosting and maintaining teeworlds servers
teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

Somerunce wrote:

I'm still not getting what you think suck about the buy system. Please EXPLAIN and give constructive critisim - how could it be done instead? WHAT is wrong? The current things you tell me is just useless information and doesn't make me wanna develop the mod.

The weapons should be pickups like any weapon in regular mode.
There should be no "primary" weapon, people should be able to switch as they please. Removing switching = no skill required.
Pistol should regen ammo like in regular, if pistol is stronger, ammo regen should be slower.
Non-pistol weapons would regain ammo with pickups like in regular.
Of course there would be shields and hearts.

==> No more useless menus

Playing with the regular client is useless anyway, because people don't see weapon skins and can't know what is being thrown at them.

Flag snatch = CTF defense + capping. Basically all the gametypes are based on CTF + survival for one team (one attack, one def). Using plain old CTF would be easier.

IMO the only enjoyable parts are the new weapons (they are too similar still). I don't think CS fits TW. A flame thrower as described would be cool.

Oh, and invincibility seems like a genuine Bad Idea(tm).

82 (edited by Landil 2009-05-06 21:26:00)

Magnet wrote:

The weapons should be pickups like any weapon in regular mode.
There should be no "primary" weapon, people should be able to switch as they please. Removing switching = no skill required.
Pistol should regen ammo like in regular, if pistol is stronger, ammo regen should be slower.
Non-pistol weapons would regain ammo with pickups like in regular.
Of course there would be shields and hearts.

==> No more useless menus

Playing with the regular client is useless anyway, because people don't see weapon skins and can't know what is being thrown at them.

Flag snatch = CTF defense + capping. Basically all the gametypes are based on CTF + survival for one team (one attack, one def). Using plain old CTF would be easier.

IMO the only enjoyable parts are the new weapons (they are too similar still). I don't think CS fits TW. A flame thrower as described would be cool.

to me your suggestions look like: Implement the new weapons into the standard client
--> which means that one would destroy the plain vanilla teeworlds

edit: typo correction

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I like the survivial gametypes - the buy system - the flagsnatch MOD

Also i think its  a bad idea to have so many weapons to pickup...
And without client it would be even more confusing if some 1 swtiches between Mr rabbit and Big Momma (for example) and the ppl cant c that he did something.

I said that before already... for non survivial gametypes a class MOD would be better than pickups (i know, lots of coding and balancing...)

Also having a big Momma at pickup would be stupid (because its annoying to get more heavy from a weapon u dont use).

Pickup would be too confusing with 12 weapons.

Barney Stinson is awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGd-3mdUaf4
And he is a true Master of magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsh7W3PY … eature=fvw
Yeah... Magic is pretty cool...

Uh... guys... changing the buy menu to default weapon pickup is 180° against the mod and pointless. The buy menu is just fine as it is, most people are just either too impatient or just plain dumb. Once you get it (shouldn't take more than ~20 Minutes) it's fun fun fun and fun. \o/

bam: WARNING:'src/game/server/gamemodes/mod.cpp' comes from the future

Landil wrote:

to me your suggestions look like: Implement the new weapons into the standard client
--> which means that one would destroy the plain vanilla teeworlds

That would still be a mod, and I don't think it would destroy plain vanilla which is more balanced, faster paced, etc. Not anymore than instagib or War3 destroyed vanilla.

Somerunce asked for constructive criticism, I did my part and explained why I don't like this mod (and why most players I hang with don't either), now I'm out.

(btw, please try to quote only relevant parts to limit message sizes).

actually i agree with magnet it the part that hp should be pickups in the map. I think the buying menu should only be for buying the weapons. And than make pickups for ammo, too. It would make the buying much faster and the gameplay much better cuz u really have enough ammo and its more like teeworlds. wink The pistol should be reloading like in vanilla tw, as magnet allready mentioned. Im also sharing my opinion with magnet about the primary weapon stuff...

To make it short:
-the new weapons are cool especially the grafics as expected from landil wink
-the buy menu should stay but only for buying weapons and not ammo or shild (like it is now... its crap in my opinion)
-place pickups for ammo and hp in the map (not for every weapon)
-make pistol realosing like normal
-no primary secondary weapon stuff

So the mod would still contain the buy menu and the new weapons but the gameplay would be much more like teeworlds and of course the mod could be more fun.

Just my opinion wink
Sry if it sounds too hard ^^

teerace - a website gathering results of trusted Race-mod servers providing global ranking and statistics
*gV* rox ^^

87 (edited by Franchan 2009-05-06 22:51:22)

I know how to make the mod more fun.
how about right now [it may be hard for you] but how about ditching the new gametypes "for the moment" and host a "TS CTF" server with the capitals  [of TS [it makes it look better]] and have standered ctf with votings for different maps. that would get people started in the Tee Strike mod an then you could have a pop up that tells you to get the modded client. when we have enough people playing then you announce the new gamtypes one by one.

[and make sure theres only on TS CTF server because having lots would ruin the popularity of specific servers]

howabout that? smile its kind of like marketing if you think of it close enough

note:[no offense buy this mod is really hard to play for newbies. i probably would have givin up on it if i wasnt active in the forums and heard how the mod functions]
how about changing the names of the weapons to more tee=ish or to the point. like "bouncing grenades" or "sniper" or "laserbounce" or "semiautomatic pistol" that might help. kind of like the RPG mod. it may be frusterating at first but its simple to use "commands like /laser"

and i think [biased opinion] the boost is turning people away from this mod too.

Ok, we had a small discussion yesterday after reading your opinions, and this is what we propose (Nothing decided yet, though. Might not happen):

We keep the buy menu as it is, but remove the prices. You pick your primary weapon and your pistol, and you'll have those weapons until you choose another one. Ammo and armor won't be in the buy menu, and will be full when you respawn instead.

This gives the possibility to make survival a server option, as it would be possible to respawn without damaging the system. Still not sure what to do with armor/health pickups, but I think having those kinds of things would (probably) make it even more camper friendly. You'll probably die a lot more than in vanilla, but from a weapon standpoint, it doesn't matter.

I think this idea would simplify both buying and playing, but there are downsides. It will require major adjustments (maybe even rewriting the whole buy system) in the code, and will also require HUGH rebalance. NONE of the primary weapons can be better than another. They'll have to be adjusted so that they are as good, but in different areas. Firing rate, reload time, damage, range, spread, splash, usability, offensive/defensive attributes and other effects on the user will have to be adjusted until all of the weapons are exactly as good as the others, only different.

Comments?

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

actually the prices dont annoy me that much ^^
The annoying thing that u have to buy ammo even for pistol and its unplayable without the client cuz the buying just take to long in that case even there are prices or not wink

*gV* rox ^^

90 (edited by pAn!K - Hiryuu 2009-05-07 12:08:19)

I don't like the buy system like it is now because :
- The ammo and shield system is too expensive, too complicated
- Pistol should regen ammo like in regular
- Some weapons are really expensive and not powerful like the riffles and the most powerful is the cheaper (shotgun).

You seem to copy/past counter-strike but it's not the same game.
For the ammo and shield system you should just make 2 options : 1 for the primary weapon like it is now and 1 for full shield (at 2000 for example). And the money system you get at each round is strange hmm It should be easier for a team without money to make an "eco game" and then have enough money for the next round. But I'm sure it will be a great mod smile

91 (edited by Stephanator 2009-05-07 12:07:42)

First of all, I agree with Magnet and Sushi. In addition, I don´t like the fact that you say there are 12 new weapons, they are not new, basically they are just modified standard weapons which only make higher damage. The only really innovative weapon is the rabbit, because its behaviour is completely new (except in the ball mod^^). Things like the sniper may be a good idea but are not really a breakthrough. The big momma is cool but please don´t to gravity changes!! Just make it more expensive or sth. I would like to see new weapons like the flamethrower, just think of games like Bioshock or Half Life. I don´t know if it is possible but some kind of gravity or portal gun would be awesome (if it would fit tee strike at all). Maybe just remove the boring ones like the cheapest shotgun and the cheapest rocket and replace them with new ones. Secondly, I am annoyed by the fact that you can use shield pack only once and that you loose your weapon when you die. The shield pack is nearly half as expensive as the good weapons, but it needs just one hit to make them gone and they dont refresh. My suggestion is that you gain fewer money so that you really have to save your money to be able to buy shields, but therefor they are refreshed after every round. You should also keep your weapon when you die as it takes longer to be able to buy it. That is only what would be good if there is no pickup system.

Qi - high level gaming
qi.m0g.net

Big problem with loosing the weapon on death is, that you have far less money then the enemy and have to use cheap and maybe weak weapons while the enemy doesn't have to buy a new weapon and can keep spending some money on ammo and armor. This just results in one player getting money and the other one loosing money and the game.

Just keep already bought weapons and it would be fine.

I think that health/armor pickups in a survivial would destroy everything...

I like the buy system right now but i agree with the ppl who say that there need to be some kind of "buy protection".

Pistole ammo respawning in a survivial would also be stupid... i think the clips are a good idea.
And the weapons dont waste the clips too fast - pistoles do (magnum the most).
But pistoles are not thought to deal the real dmg and in a primary weapon there is a lot of ammo if u dont waste it.

So i think that there are no pickups necessary and im not sure if i like the change ur (maybe) going to make hmm

Barney Stinson is awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGd-3mdUaf4
And he is a true Master of magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsh7W3PY … eature=fvw
Yeah... Magic is pretty cool...

94 (edited by madi 2009-05-07 13:11:41)

Maybe you should keep the weapon, but to make it more fair for the winner, you should loose all ammunition if you die. This would be far cheaper.

@ Somerunce: I think the invincible function should be enough to protect new players. There is no more change in the buy system needed, when this works smile So thanks if you implement this

Sushi Tee wrote:

The annoying thing that u have to buy ammo even for pistol and its unplayable without the client cuz the buying just take to long in that case even there are prices or not wink

You probably missed the tutorial that's found at the official Tee-Strike site. Check that out and see if anything improves. :]

pAn!K - Hiryuu wrote:

I don't like the buy system like it is now because :
- The ammo and shield system is too expensive, too complicated
- Pistol should regen ammo like in regular
- Some weapons are really expensive and not powerful like the riffles and the most powerful is the cheaper (shotgun).

- The ammo and shields are expensive so that you can afford your weapon, but have to weight that against having more ammo/armor instead. It's a way to force tactical thinking.
- About ammo regen, we just thought that it would be better to experiment with other ways than just the vanilla way.
- Depends on what you call powerful. The Sharkbait is horrible in the hands of one that can handle it. 9 dmg at most. The peashooter had to be nerfed, it was way too good, and the wookie blaster has bounce, 4 dmg and laser jump. Don't think it's that worthless.

pAn!K - Hiryuu wrote:

And the money system you get at each round is strange hmm It should be easier for a team without money to make an "eco game" and then have enough money for the next round. But I'm sure it will be a great mod smile

We're aware that the current buy system isn't doing its job as we wanted it too. A better solution is under discussion.

Stephanator wrote:

First of all, I agree with Magnet and Sushi. In addition, I don´t like the fact that you say there are 12 new weapons, they are not new, basically they are just modified standard weapons which only make higher damage. The only really innovative weapon is the rabbit, because its behaviour is completely new (except in the ball mod^^).

Well, we might have different views on "new", but for me "new" isn't the same as "completely unique". Even though an AK-47 and an M4 are both assault rifles, it doesn't mean that they aren't different weapons.

Stephanator wrote:

The big momma is cool but please don´t to gravity changes!! Just make it more expensive or sth. I would like to see new weapons like the flamethrower, just think of games like Bioshock or Half Life. I don´t know if it is possible but some kind of gravity or portal gun would be awesome (if it would fit tee strike at all).

No gravity changes and a gravity gun? tongue Anyway. The reason we didn't go all wild and added completely new weapons that wouldn't fall into the gl/sg/pistol/laser groups is because we wanted the normal client to be compatible with our mod. Perhaps we should reconsider?

Stephanator wrote:

My suggestion is that you gain fewer money so that you really have to save your money to be able to buy shields, but therefor they are refreshed after every round. You should also keep your weapon when you die as it takes longer to be able to buy it. That is only what would be good if there is no pickup system.

But what you say is "If you die, you shouldn't lose anything, and the only thing you would buy is a new weapon (if you ever grow tired of the old one) and ammo.", and then it's meaningless to even have a buy system at all. tongue

That's why we're talking about moving away from the buy system. The community clearly seems to dislike it or different parts of it.

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

even if i dont read i know how to bind a key wink but most players actually dont! And they are using the standart client wink

about the pickup in survival... of xourse shouldnt be hp pickups in that gametype but ammo pickups were good wink

My suggestion was to remove the ammo stuff from buying menu and put for example a grenade lauchner in the map which will reload every grenade weapon u can buy when pickup!

*gV* rox ^^

Cool answers, I'll reply randomly.

1) Allow players to have "one kind" of each, so they can switch even if it's more expensive to have weapons of each and buy ammo for them.
Remove one rifle-like weapon and make it a flame thrower. Don't keep client compatibility because it's a lure, in fact I think people won't play the game much without the client, and won't play it much with the client. You knew from the start this kind of mod will be better once 0.6.x is released (God knows when) and it is an use case that can show some features required in 0.6 for modding (just like Tee Shields).

Look at the "Fire" (previously gCTF) and the "TeeSpace" mod for ideas to change the weapons, I find them far more original even if they are overpowered (especially in the Fire mod).

Make one of the "shotgun-like" weapons a repetition gun with extended ammo (let's say 1 ammo = 2 bullets, 10 ammos) that has automatic fire.

Make another of "the shotgun-like" guns a shock gun (that lasts VERY VERY few time and doesn't stop the tee but just prevent him from jumping/hooking/shooting for like 0.3s, he keeps his momentum though). Long range, long cooldown. Maybe?

The sharkbait is imo a bad idea gameplay wise, it might be fun, but what behavior does it encourage besides  playing pussy, campers and aimbots?

Also provide the vanilla weapons WITH the same damage value as base reference for all other weapons

That is, don't limit yourself to 3 weapons by genre! You can propose more, but only 1 of a kind (+ pistol + hammer) at a time. This is not the best solution but better than nothing. No switching between real weapons really sucks.

2) I agree with what has been said, keep the weapon after death if you don't make it a pickup game.

3) I continue to say that while some gametypes shouldn't have hearts/shields (survival), some gametypes should.

Look at the "Fire" (previously gCTF) and the "TeeSpace" mod for ideas to change the weapons, I find them far more original even if they are overpowered (especially in the Fire mod).

I also wanted to add some more weapons to TeeSpace, but I thought using the same gfx for more weapons would only confuse the players which is also the case in Tee-Strike.

Don't keep client compatibility because it's a lure, in fact I think people won't play the game much without the client[...]

Since everyone get told to use the modded client when asking "HOW TO BUY WEAPONZ?!1" one could really drop the client compatibility so only modded clients could connect.

Is it possible to let the vanilla client still list Tee-Strike servers but having it display a message one should "Download the Tee-Strike client from [insert URL here]"? Custom messages are definitely, just look at the reserved slot message of race(?) servers.

Magnet wrote:

1) Allow players to have "one kind" of each, so they can switch even if it's more expensive to have weapons of each and buy ammo for them.

We're thinking about scrapping the buy system for another menu based system, and we're doing a lot of brainstorming. Our current idea is that you have a total of 5 slots, 3 primary, 1 secondary and hammer. In the beginning you pick one primary weapon and one secondary weapon to start with (and hammer ofc). When tees are killed, their weapon(s) is(are) dropped, and other can pick them up. So, let's say tee A is killed by B. A's weapons are dropped and B picks them up. He now has 3 primary weapons, for example. The ammo is exactly as when A died. If you want more ammo, there will be ammo pickups on the maps. Another important aspect to mention is that you will spawn with a weapon every time. And you won't change spawning weapon until you choose to do so. This should furthermore give us the possibility to provide both survival and respawn gamemodes.

Magnet wrote:

New weapons will be an issue that we'll face once the new system is decided. Until then, suggestions are welcome. smile Originality + balance is hard, but if we skip compatibility, uniqueness won't be an issue.

You gave some nice suggestions there, though.

Magnet wrote:

The sharkbait is imo a bad idea gameplay wise, it might be fun, but what behavior does it encourage besides  playing pussy, campers and aimbots?

It's a test to see how we could force a sniper to be exactly a sniper in a 2D-game. Players with that kind of weapon are able to deal hugh amounts of dmg on long range, but if you get up close, it's gg.

Magnet wrote:

3) I continue to say that while some gametypes shouldn't have hearts/shields (survival), some gametypes should.

We're talking about using pickups in some degree. Can't tell you how much that will be pickups, though. Proably health and armor.

shmafoozius wrote:

he vanilla client still list Tee-Strike servers but having it display a message one should "Download the Tee-Strike client from [insert URL here]"? Custom messages are definitely, just look at the reserved slot message of race(?) servers.

Yes, it is possible. Most of the modding capabilities required for TeeStrike should be included in 0.6.x without requiring the download of another client though.