Re: [COMMUNITY] Now that I'm a mod

Good job so far magnet. The spam rate definitely declined since you introduced 'law and order'.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

27 (edited by Bee 2009-06-02 05:04:24)

Magnet wrote:

- instead of replying "Nice", "Thank you", etc (very frequent in Graphics, Maps or Mods topics), if you don't have anything substantial to add to the topic, please use the signal system instead and "vote up" the post you liked. That counts as a Thank you, good idea, etc.

I'm in semi agreement with: Franchan123.

I think what you said is a pretty good idea, but if this is ever put into use; many good topics would go under considering that no one would comment on how good there topic is.
This is why I suggest that a topic with 5 or more [+]s, would be highlighted/bolded/underlined, ect...
To show that you should look at this topic, because it has 5 or more [+]s... Maybe the something the same should go for topics with 5 or more [-]s?
I think the one of the main reasons that people post a comment, is to bump up topic so it doesn't go under.

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

Although this seems to be a very good idea it's only a matter of time before people would call in some friends to boost their own accounts to +5, just to get it highlighted. But if used honestly, this is something that could be a very nice improvement.

Well if people saw that they had 5 or more [+]s, but in reality, there post wasn't that good, you can just [-] his post, or report it for being misleading if he does it multiple times. wink

Give others the respect you wish to be respected with. In the mean time, enjoy the website!

I'm not sure how the forum system works (in terms of the code, etc.) but would it be possible to auto-delete posts with <-10 or similar, this would allow the community to self moderate in a democratic way and save moderator's time.
Again I want to reinforce not being too hard on the  community, we don't want to loose the nicer people.
Just because people aren't very old doesn't mean they can't be sensible.
Would it be possible to give high rated posts (and their authors) some kind of bonus, like making the post appear higher in the list so people can just skim the good ones, this might be useful.

===I take pride in my insanity!===    |    Blender3D    |    What do you think of my post? Rate it!
Admin@SuperSiliconux128:~$quantumphysics --help -mtheory -standardmodel
[quantum_physics]: segmentation fault, core dumped

I see your point but people might put [-] on decent posts and delete them which isn't fair!

Bye.

Hummmmm... I see two ways to solve this is:

If a topic has over 5-10 [-]s. It shouldn't be deleted, but instead a message will be sent to all the moderators that a topic has 5-10 [-]s, so they can view it to see if it is really a bad topic, or if some one was misusing the signal system. And they can delete it for themselves if it really is a bad topic.

Or, a topic will automatically deleted if it has 5-10 [-]s. But if someone reports a compliant, the moderators will reopen the deleted topic, (only for them to see) and view it, and if it's true that there was no reason to delete it, then they will open it back up to the public. And a warning will be sent to all the people that [-] the topic.

Ether way the mods have the last say. But I personally like the first one though, because some honest people really might not have had an agenda.

off the discussion: the news ticker needs to be updated

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

Although it's impossible to speak for the mods, it doesn't seem like they're waiting for more daily tasks then they already have. It would very functional to have such system, but it would probably require a few more moderators to make it efficient.