51 (edited by Wtf-Pepperoni 2009-02-27 23:10:14)

Re: [COMMUNITY] Open letter from ~{MS}~ on MTC, instagib and the future

hiryuu, look at the post that is hidden. It has -3 so you cant see it.
And if you need testers, im almost always in the IRC.

Left [WTF] so I had to make an other account here. The new account is named: "pepperoni" with a big golden P as avatar.

52 (edited by Tom94 2009-03-18 14:14:29)

Somerunce said:
What I wanna say is, I need your help. Help me to make the mod more compative. Don't just say "laserjumps sux somerunce you idiot remove them", because that doesn't help anyone. Come with something new. Do we wanna keep playing this messy mod forever or try to add some spirit into it?

Just did smile
http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3535

After seeing this mod with nice teamwork and good gameplay tell me again instagib is boring big_smile

I hope this helps the instagib community, as i like both, instagib and vanilla and imo both are cool and fun to play.
I dont know why you always say its boring to watch... its important the GAMEPLAY is fun and not watching people playing it lol

~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://monkeystyle.xooit.com/
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

i play insta pretty much,and it was never boring./agree

The dumber people think you are, the more surprised they're going to be when you kill them.

I'm totally in for that shield thingy wink

~{MS}~ Eve ~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://www.monkeystyle.tk
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

ctan wrote:

I'm totally in for that shield thingy wink

Me too, as it adds more tactics

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

well then, what are we waiting for smile?

Left [WTF] so I had to make an other account here. The new account is named: "pepperoni" with a big golden P as avatar.

How would this look like if you don't have a custom client?

Like a hammer ?

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

The hammer can only be flipped over. The client would therefore only see it on the right or the left side. The shield could then be on another place than the hammer points, which sucks.

well somerunce that is the whole point?
you need to defend yourself on the left or right not both at the same time =/.
btw, if that is what you were saying.

I thought the idea was to only be able to shield yourself at a smaller spot, however, this seems much more clear right now smile

The con of this is that you can't shoot when using the hammer to protect, which is really good. smile

Somerunce I never had to say this before to you but:
"Hell yeah!"
If you need testers someday you'll know where to find me.

As I can see, Somerunce will continue developing Instagib MOD.

It seems like the shield idea is consolidated. It'd be nice if you can set a sv_shield 1/0 (with one -enabled- as default).

So people can choose it.

Btw, the shield will have an aim too, right?
It would be nice if it has x seconds to load and others y seconds to be able to use it.

What do you think?

Looking at another point, it could be too easy to run to score a point and guard your back. So if someone is behind you trying to get to the base first he won't kill you.

And that is kinda unfair.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

I think if the shield should be like the pistol. It should regens itself and should have some ammos. So you could only use for maximum 3 seconds for example but you can use it 1 sec and then 1 sec and again 1 sec.

@Slinack:
You didn't quite understand what the shield was supposed to be. The shield will be like a weapon. This means that it will cover only 1 side of your Tee. Lets say you aim to the right, you can not walk to the left. So you cannot flee and have a shield defending your back.

@Ubuntu:
This would be a little bit lame. Why doing this? If someone chooses to only use the shield he will not live long.. So the cool thing is going to be the constant switch of laser--> shield --> laser --> shield
This is going to require some skill.

66 (edited by Franchan 2009-03-02 22:52:15)

shield? for instagib?
depends on how you use it. it could be destroyed when hit but when it is destroyed ther is longer recharge time. or maybe a 1 second time frame for invincibility or something like that.

I dont like the idea of the shield so if ther was a shield, i would co for a VERY small block that you have to aim for it to work. it should be VERY small because we wouldnt want a person with a shield to become invincable. There should always be a way to kill the person so if the shield was small, a person could laser bounce kill him

oh ya. shield with recharge is a horrible idea. b/c its not a fast paced shooter anymore. its more like a stratagy game [ex. WAR3 or [RPG] mod]

and aiming is best because it requires skill

and shield time is horrible because alot can happen in 1 second since its inatagib

anyways. those were just ideas

actually im agains the shield right now since i havent tried it b/c i like instagib just because there is very fast and not like normal gameplay [run araound collecting shields, hearts and ammo while taking a few shots to kill people]. Instagib is the simplest form of gameplay and should be kept that way.

Buuuut... If there was a test server for this and it was tested by a majority of people [in a span of a month (3 months?)] and is well recieved around forums [or a vote function within the server] Then i wouldnt care one way or the other.

[I dont like split second descisions]

[And i dont like all these people coming up with ideas that are complicated. as i said keep it simple and to the point]

67 (edited by Ubuntu 2009-03-02 22:56:39)

Pepperoni : So in ictf you only have to run and take the flag with the shield, kinda easy...

@Ubuntu:
You didn't quite understand what the shield was supposed to be. The shield will be like a weapon. This means that it will cover only 1 side of your Tee. Lets say you aim to the right, you can not walk to the left. So you cannot flee and have a shield defending your back.

Wtf-Pepperoni wrote:

@Ubuntu:

dont have it cover one side. have it cover a PART of one side. or else it will become too much of a defensive game.

There should be more motive to use your laser (laser jumps and killing) but if the shield makes you half invincable, the tee is basically invincable unless it is in a middle of trying to get a flag.

Pepperoni :
So what ? In vanilla, we all spam grenade while running... It is not hard to run to our base and to look back.

71 (edited by Wtf-Pepperoni 2009-03-03 00:33:09)

Captain_AMN: Then I would advise you to stay out of this for sure, because a post like this is doing even more damage.

Ubuntu:
thanks for the explanation.

Ontopic:
well maybe if it is possible, a function that the hook cannot be used at the same time as the shield? This would solve your problem right Ubuntu?
And yes I like the idea too where the shield cannot be used more than x seconds.

but if you cant use the hook and the laser at the same time, and the shield is small and one directional, using the shield minimally would not really be fair

I don't like the idea of a shield at all, and if we're talking about improving instagib, i suggest revising the previous posts with some good ideas.

~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://www.monkeystyle.tk

74 (edited by Ubuntu 2009-03-03 17:56:02)

"well maybe if it is possible, a function that the hook cannot be used at the same time as the shield? This would solve your problem right Ubuntu?"

Please no, it would totally suck ! Teeworlds without hook isn't Teeworlds imo.

Seriously, why don't you like my idea (a shield with ammos like the pistol) ?
The pros would only use 1 ammo to counter a laser whereas the noobs would use more or all their ammos. Oh ofc if you want to use all your shield ammos you don't have to press 10 times on the fire button (it would be like an automatic pistol).

75 (edited by Magnet 2009-03-03 18:05:49)

The shield idea rocks and it would be great to have it in vanilla too. I think we need a mockup first then balance it. It's useless to discuss the specifics until we can try it in the actual game context.

First it has to be tested in instagib.

Let's sum up.

We need to make one of the current weapons behave like the shield.
Laser shots are reflected when they hit the shield.

Graphically speaking, once it is possible, I think an energy field would suit the "tee style" better (and make sense why it reflects lasershots but not grenades and bullets once/if it's ported to vanilla).

The field should be of around 70° (as a reminder, a circle is 360°).There should be some space between the field and the tee so that very close range laser shots are not reflected (gives a better meaning to hook+laser).

To use the energy shield, one should first select it as a weapon (could be hammer bind for now) and activate it by pressing fire (works continually, like the hook). One ammunition = 1second. Refresh rate should be the same as for pistol, and shield would recover ammos only if selected (maybe balance it differently on regular).

Once we have this we will be able to tweak it further and balance it.

Maybe this discussion could be moved to another thread.