Re: [COMMUNITY] Open letter from ~{MS}~ on MTC, instagib and the future

Could be very interesting. Though I don't know if I'm dating tonight or not, so if you don't see me, think that I'm with my clever girl :-)

~{MS}~ Eve ~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
VISIT US: http://www.monkeystyle.tk
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

27 (edited by torch 2009-02-25 19:20:07)

I have some input on how to make this mod more competitive. Ill try to be short and up to the point. The key concept of my ideas is that a single shot would not kill you. I know this would not be real instagib, but then call it something else. If you still read this here are my ideas

1 u spawn with a laser with 2/3 ammo ( normal spawn, no delay )
2 if u want moar ammo go pick it up ( in places of normal weapons ( or once u pick a weapon u have infinite ammo ) )
3 if u want to live longer pick those shiny gray credit cards ( i mean armor )
4 the rifle does 5 damage which means u can kill a newly spawned player in 2 shots and a fat-ass-armored one in 4 shots ( however there would be only armor pickups, and the rifle would do 2 hearth damage and rest armor/health. This means theres no way to live more than 5 shots even if u pick full armor after each hit )
5 consider putting back the laser jumps

The numbers are only speculations if you would choose to implement something like that u may need to balance test it. This is how i see my ( theoretical )modifications:
1 and 3 solve the too easy flag defense
2 and 5 make u move to places u was never in in instagib, which makes the gameplay less linear, more unexpected situations, whatever.
4 solves the monotonous gameplay ( go, respawn, go, ...)

Btw I mostly agree with the non-instagib players who expressed their opinions there even if I havent seen MTC or played insta for long time. I played several times, seen some good players, and from my point of view playing instagib is like listening to a cool song on your mp3 player ... over and over again 24/7

Edit: omg it works

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

Like many others, I play instagib, I enjoy it, but still can't say I find it as challenging to get good at. The fact that Styx, who doesn't play instagib as a clan much could get into a tight final with you, whilst you wouldn't be anywhere near scoring(sorry to say this) to them in vanilla is indeed a good pointer of what most vanilla people are saying: While instagib is and will always be a game of skill, it does require more skill to get good at vanilla gameplay. All the wonderful moves and nice shots you are talking about do indeed exist in instagib, and is what makes it nice are just as present in vanilla gameplay. The laser weapon is present in vanilla and the movement is exactly the same. Ontop of that you have 4 other weapons to care for! Obviously that does require you to think more, and practice more to master 5 weapons, instead of just one. Even ontop of that you have the need of picking up those weapons, and healing up to have any chance of surviving, or killing, other players. I was probably the main single guy asking Somerunce to create the instagib mod from the beginning, so I can't consider myself anywhere close to negative to instagib, but for me it has always been a good aiming practice or warmup for my regular gametypes survival and vanilla, not a gamemode that is used in competitive gaming.

Instagib works in 3d FPS's cause it simplifies some aspects and strengthens others. 2D instagib simplifies some aspects but strengthens which ones? If you say strategy: the demo of the last game in MTC obviously shows that the talked-about special tactics used in instagib didn't do much more well than those vanilla tactics used by a good vanilla team. If you say cool tricks: the fact that the laser is predicted shows that while you may make the most astonishing trick, on a absolutely 0-ping server the challenge for the player that is supposed to shoot you is nothing more than pointing and clicking on a specified point of his screen. With this said, if this player is good enough at hitting the specified point there is nothing you can do about it. Absolutely nothing. If the reward for your amazing trick move is nothing if the opponent is a good enough aimer I can't in any way understand how that can be called promoting trick moves, if you can explain that to me, please do.

I'm in no way saying that you didn't win fair and square. I'm not saying I'm better than you at instagib, and neither that instagib isn't about skill. Nothing of that. But if what you want is less ignorance, don't show your own ignorance to the vanilla gametype. Also, stop taking everything so serious, while reading the first post I was just waiting for something like "I have a dream.." The self-patting on the back and calling your win important in the history of teeworlds can't in anyway do anything but create more of the hate you're trying to stop.

Oh, and let's break the words-per-post record with this thread, the current leader was a discussion about tileset stealing, I know we can beat it! xD

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

29 (edited by o10 2009-02-25 19:39:14)

Actually, I don't like torch's idea, sorry sad This makes it non-instagib, and I certainly wouldn't play it. But our clan is currently brainstorming some ideas on what Somerunce can do with instagib. So far we have this:

0. You start with 10 hp.
1. Hook-kill: when you catch a player with a hook, after some time you kill them. Let's say after the time the hook lets go of a player.
2. Laserjumps as an optional feature: It's not a server setting anymore. You spawn with a default laser, but you can pick up a grenade launcher. And after picking it up, an explosion adds to your shots. Also, the radius of the explosion is bigger, so you can kill with explosions, with a given force. A direct shot kills instantly, an explosion deals damage dependent on how close you are to it. When this option is on, the laser bounce is off.
3. A "lightning gun" from Q3, or a "link gun" from UT2kX. After picking up a second laser, your laser becomes a link gun, firing with a single, stable beam. It deals 10 damage every half a second of direct exposure to the beam. If it's not codeable, there's always an option of cutting the shot interval so that it looked like a single beam. Another option is: when picking up the second laser the akimbo option can be turned on (see point 6), and when picking the third laser, you have a lightning/link gun.
4. Hitting a player with a hook (not holding them) pushes them away from you. It can help in giving speed to your teammates.
5. You can grab a flag with a hook.
6. Akimbo lasers: Under a given condition, or by using a bind command (e.g. /akimbo), your hook turns into the other laser, as if you had two. You can't use the hook while using akimbo lasers.

The purpose here is to put more ephasis on the hook usage which is very important in instagib. It also adds some new options for a laser to require more skill. It's funnier to watch and funnier to play, because you finally have some veriety. Of course, the default one-shot-one-kill laser has to stay! smile

Another idea concerns the respawn time.

It's about spawn rounds like in Enemy Territory, team respawns are every 10 seconds. This way selfkill could be reinserted. This way if you have good attackers and they get killed, the defenders are obliged to go for the flag. It gives some more action in the center of the map and also provides necessary suspense. Makes defending the flag a bit more difficult. And yeah, the counting of the respawns goes on and on, waiting for more dead players, and then they respawn all together. It still needs some work, because instagib can't lose this fast-paced, dynamic spirit.

~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan
Check out our IRC channel: #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki: http://teewiki.info

30 (edited by Slinack 2009-02-25 20:21:42)

About One Shot > Kill
I saw many of you complaining about this, that makes the game boring or not funny.
In instagib you must survive (specially as a flagman/flagholder), but if you die you have to be fast and try again.  * I'm not saying in vanilla you don't have to survive. *
The point is that you have to shoot fast than your opponent and need a good skill. If there are two good players in combat, the one who shoots first will 'win' if he is good enough to hit the target, if not the other one will shoot and probably will have success.

It is a challenge (and in my opinion, it makes the game more difficult in this aspect) to kill someone faster than he could kill you.

Sometimes you can be lucky, but are you going to always have luck? "See ya next time!" wink

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

Slinack wrote:

About One Shot > Kill
I saw many of you complaining about this, that makes the game boring or not funny.
In instagib you must survive (specially as a flagman/flagholder), but if you die you have to be fast and try again.  * I'm not saying in vanilla you don't have to survive. *
The point is that you have to shoot fast than your opponent and need a good skill. If there are two good players in combat, the one who shoots first will 'win' if he is good enough to hit the target, if not the other one will shoot and probably will have success.

It is a challenge (and in my opinion, it makes the game more difficult in this aspect) to kill someone faster than he could kill you.

Sometimes you can be lucky, but are you going to always have luck? "See ya next time!" wink

Vanilla
If two good players are combat both full with armor and hearts you have much more options to end the fight Like switching into closed combat, stay in range or try to trap your opponent with shooting rockets at a point where he probably go when he hunts you.

In the end Instagib is missing combat variety that is what it makes boring after playing long for me.

but as we see o10 makes some good suggestion like adding new weapon types of instagib by taking up lasers. This would add very interessting gameplay ways.

I like the most the link gun since i would like such a weapon in normal Teeworlds too.
But such things have to be tweaked till a final release.

Only problem is that maps would have to be reworked or code something

Slinack wrote:

About One Shot > Kill
[snip]

Unfortunately it seems you don't know what we are talking about. The "one shot = kill" has more implications than just requiring players to shoot first. Either you replied without actually reading the posts, or didn't watch the MTC games we're talking about, but the conclusion is that you are off-topic.

@Magnet,
I just wanted to express my opinion about that subject. And for sure I'm not off topic.

check out these maps: infiltrate - choco - dustycloud

+1 OP

I couldn't agree more. The attitude against instagib around here is mostly childish. And it's been shown on this thread as well. I'm an old school instagib player and I wouldn't change a thing about the way it was played already in 0.4. I host an instagib server with lost and I'm going to continue doing so in the future even if I have to make the mod myself to be like it has always been. Sure go ahead with your ideas about changing the mod but my view is that there is no need for changes even if some people fail or refuse to see the beauty of instagib.

PS. Hope we some day get a xyz vs. MS match arranged. wink

ziltoide, allow me to say that you're my hero for today.

~{MS}~ Tho
VISIT US : http://www.monkeystyle.tk || Check out our IRC channel : #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki : http://teewiki.info

ziltoide wrote:

+1 OP

I couldn't agree more. The attitude against instagib around here is mostly childish. And it's been shown on this thread as well. I'm an old school instagib player and I wouldn't change a thing about the way it was played already in 0.4. I host an instagib server with lost and I'm going to continue doing so in the future even if I have to make the mod myself to be like it has always been. Sure go ahead with your ideas about changing the mod but my view is that there is no need for changes even if some people fail or refuse to see the beauty of instagib.

The only one with wrong attitude here is you. If you would read the whole thread you would know that people here try to give constructive feedback on how to make this mod more competitive and enjoyable to people. The fact that the current game status statisfies all your needs DOES NOT mean that it statisfies all the people who play this mod. Its because people ARE different. So are their needs. As for the ideas posted, the creator of this mod ASKED for ideas to make the mod better. I couldnt care less on how you continue developing your mod and your supressed community which receives only hate and wrong attitude, I just tried to help. And thanks for the effort to turn this thread into a flame war.

We will meet again when the flowers spread their glorious scent of victory and the birds sing us the melody of justice...

37 (edited by OverPowered 2009-02-26 01:09:12)

Well I will take the position of the "wrong" guy and say that I like instagib the way it is now. If vanilla guys don't, I don't care. It was delibarate decision to play instagib not vanilla. I don't miss any special feature that vanilla provides and insta doesn't. This is why there is no point for vanilla players to participate in this discussion. Sorry guys but you can't understand it just like we can't understand you (it couldn't be simplier). We play only this mod for like a year and that for sure means something. That means that we aren't looking for any change in gameplay but just in the way instagib is seen by the whole scene. There are some guys that play teeworlds not only for fun but for something more e.g. events. If such guy starts playing teeworlds he has no option but to play vanilla. This should be changed. The very first thing should be making instagib more than one of the mods (as someone said before). We do play for fun but we also need those seriously playing guys to keep the community alive. There are some projects on their ways so we have nothing more to do now but wait and see how will the future look.

The second thing I want to talk about are the ideas you've already made up. From my point of view making some major changes which you are all talking about can only divide the community more than it is now. I'm pretty certain that you all we unanimously say that this is exactly what we don't want to achieve. Instagib's originality is its simplicity and let's keep it as it is now. What I can offer you instead of the changes you all mentioned is considering which factors decide that a particular map is competetive or not and making new special instagib maps which are what we want them to be. I didn't have much time to think yet so I'm not sure how such map should look like so I give you an opportunity to show me your ideas.

torch wrote:
ziltoide wrote:

+1 OP

The only one with wrong attitude here is you. If you would read the whole thread you would know that people here try to give constructive feedback on how to make this mod more competitive and enjoyable to people. The fact that the current game status statisfies all your needs DOES NOT mean that it statisfies all the people who play this mod. Its because people ARE different. So are their needs. As for the ideas posted, the creator of this mod ASKED for ideas to make the mod better. I couldnt care less on how you continue developing your mod and your supressed community which receives only hate and wrong attitude, I just tried to help. And thanks for the effort to turn this thread into a flame war.

I have read the whole thread, have you? My comment was about the negative attitude against instagib which is what the original post was about besides the MTC stuff. It wasn't about developing instagib the mod further. That was brought up by someone else and at least commented by Somerunce. I gave my opinion on it as well. To make it clear, my point about the attitude of some people here against instagib being childish was not in any way related to the discussion about developing new ideas for instagib. I did say go ahead with it. What on Earth is the problem here? I am sorry if I was being egocentric by emphasizing my point with the talk about my server.

Captain AMN wrote:

And Skill? You played versus the Styx team, a group of random good vanilla players who barely play instagib  which teamed up for the MTC insta tournament. They played at your level until they were too bored to carry on playing the same dull moves over and over and over and over and over again.

If you had switched positions and played a vanilla game versus them, we know the result would have been a fatal defeat for your team.

Imho, every attempt at hyping this Mod up to be as challenging as the normal game, is a ridiculous failure in my eyes.

I'm really not shamefaced in general, and tend to make fun all the time, but i would feel ashamed to write such a letter in the forums..

Is this the kind of constructive feedback you were talking about? I'd say it's more of the unnecessary negative attitude already in post #3, just what the original poster was talking about. o10 put it well together already:

o10 wrote:

Again, please understand that we're not here to create conflicts. We're here to say: "Hey! We're here! Don't ignore us, accept us and try to understand us!". We're just a different gametype, that's all. We don't wanna fight. We'll explain everything you need, we'll show you all our perspective - because we know that vanilla is hostile towards us just out of not-understanding what we are. Cheers.

I think that we can't expect the whole teeworlds community to support instagib without any changes that would make it more interesting for them. If we were just a bunch of guys playing on one server, or a bunch of guys that stayed in 0.4.3, it wouldn't matter. But AFAIK we were planning to create an instagib ladder, to make instagib present in every tournament, and generally to make it more known. And because vanilla is the majority and we're the minority, we have to take their opinions into account. It's them who keep the forum going, who code the game, create TeeTV and organize tournaments. And we're the ones who want to step on their territory. I'm not surprised they are putting some conditions.

So if we want to make something big, we can just think about the changes that would make instagib better, without ruining the general spirit. I also think that instagib is awesome the way it is, and I wouldn't change anything. But we wanna make something big, and to do it, we must come up with good ideas. I'm not a big fan of respawn changes, but hey. Wouldn't you guys like to run around the map with a lightning gun? Or kill with a hook? We need vanilla's support, and I know they're open to us now. So let's do something and come up with ideas that will make instagib more interesting for the public, but also keep our own identity and the main spirit.

Several ideas to make instagib more competitive :

- a laser could block a laser ennemy
- I think instagib should still be : one shot = one kill. But, an item like a shield would be really cool. It would reflects the lasers.
       shield : one ammo, after X seconds (1-2 ?) of utilisation it switch to rifle, it regens itself after X seconds (like the pistol), it only covers 1/3 (for example) of the tee, you can move it around the tee + maybe if 2 lasers hit the shield, it would be broken
- bounce on purpose : you have to load your weapon by clicking on the fire button during 1-2 seconds
- rocket jump on purpose : you have to load your weapon by clicking on the fire button during 1-2 seconds

Dont know if it has been said before, but maybe a good idea is a shield, that reflects the laser back or something. This would mean defending and attacking at the same time.

Left [WTF] so I had to make an other account here. The new account is named: "pepperoni" with a big golden P as avatar.

42 (edited by pAn!K - Hiryuu 2009-02-27 15:19:12)

Pepperoni : Ubuntu talked about that 2 post before you. And for me it's one of the sexiest solution but I don't think Instagib player will like it because it's very different from the normal instagib.

I'd be OK for a sheild, imo

~{MS}~ Eve ~{MonkeyStyle}~ - Instagib Teeworlds Clan

A permanent shield would be a not so bad idea indeed I think. That would be like a second weapon. While you're using your shield, you can't use the rifle. It would obviously have to protect you only from front shots, so that you can still die with shots from above, under or behind.

It would also avoid camping, because if you aim your shield correctly, you won't be hit by the camper.

~{MS}~ Tho
VISIT US : http://www.monkeystyle.tk || Check out our IRC channel : #monkeystyle on QuakeNet || Also check out the TeeWiki : http://teewiki.info

45 (edited by Wtf-Pepperoni 2009-02-27 20:23:41)

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu289/wtfpepperoni/instashield.jpg

Wow this would be totally awesome.

and to just write down the things that have been said:
-It would be an individual weapon, so when you select it you cant select a weapon
-Should bounce the laser back
-You can get shot by all directions except the one your shield is facing
-X seconds before you may use it again

New suggestions:
-May have a timer on it. So when you select the shield you have X seconds before teeworlds automatically switches back to the laser

Left [WTF] so I had to make an other account here. The new account is named: "pepperoni" with a big golden P as avatar.

why only 4 instagib? XD
it can only very usefull 4 protect you from granades big_smile (or to reduce damage)

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

at the moment we are trying to make instagib better.
We are leaving vanilla alone because I believe the whole community is pretty satisfied about it.
There were some complaints about instagib, so what do we try to do? we improve it.

Wtf-Pepperoni wrote:

at the moment we are trying to make instagib better.
We are leaving vanilla alone because I believe the whole community is pretty satisfied about it.
There were some complaints about instagib, so what do we try to do? we improve it.

wrong way... sad
I'm one of the people that dislike Instagib.
But...

I think that Vanilla & Instagib must not be separated in the project...
So, the idea of a shield, is a really good idea 4 instagib, but why not implement it in the Vanilla and then using it 4 instagib?
I think the shield could be a really good powerup also for Vanilla... ^^

I will not play instagib because you will make a shield only 4 this mod... XD I think 3/5 of the total player will continue playing vanilla like in the past...

I've only said that this modification can be good ALSO 4 vanilla...

Support Staff - ESL.eu Teeworlds Admin

49 (edited by Wtf-Pepperoni 2009-02-27 22:32:27)

I dont want to be mean or anything or say that the shield ISN'T a good weapon to implement to vanilla, but that is what I will leave to the devs.
Meanwhile Instagib is a project that isn't supported by Teeworlds so if we look Somerunce (Instagib Maker) nice in the eyes he MAY implement it.
But to continue mrlantastic, you didnt quite catch what this thread is about. This thread was made to discuss about and improve Instagib.
So sorry if I say so but if we go talk about vanilla here the thread is getting a little bit raped and offtopic.

Do you know that there is an "edit" function ? Anyway I'm agree that a shield should be create, at least for a test.