Re: [MOD] War3 by rajh

@Golvmopp

I think the Idea of a fast hunter race is pretty good but rajh doesnt want to add any more Race and changing the elf would be quiet the same as making a new one.

Barney Stinson is awesome - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGd-3mdUaf4
And he is a true Master of magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsh7W3PY … eature=fvw
Yeah... Magic is pretty cool...

Golvmopp wrote:

My only opinion about the balance is that elf is the only race without a logical place in a team. It does 8dmg with 1 gunshot, it has mirror dmg and it can freeze ppl. It's too weak to be able to hold the flag, it does a large amount of dmg due to poison, but not quick enough. It can't stay alive long enough to break through defense or disrupt an attack. If there was any race I'd like to remake and give a new face, it'd be the elf. Remove that horrific poison all together, and put something in that will increase movement for the race.

The sense of the elves is to keep all enemies at a low hp-lvl. The elf is the class, which has a huge damage output per second, but does not have burst damage. That's brilliant. I love the class, as one can force the enemies to grab hearts and armor.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!

I second Landil's view. The elf is the fragile race. Good undead heal the poison damage with vampiric touch, human should blink out of the weapon range, orcs could kill elves with 2 aimed shots and tauren aren't intended to kill. So I think a good team buildup will still overcome simple undead/elves-only  teams.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

Landil wrote:
Golvmopp wrote:

My only opinion about the balance is that elf is the only race without a logical place in a team. It does 8dmg with 1 gunshot, it has mirror dmg and it can freeze ppl. It's too weak to be able to hold the flag, it does a large amount of dmg due to poison, but not quick enough. It can't stay alive long enough to break through defense or disrupt an attack. If there was any race I'd like to remake and give a new face, it'd be the elf. Remove that horrific poison all together, and put something in that will increase movement for the race.

The sense of the elves is to keep all enemies at a low hp-lvl. The elf is the class, which has a huge damage output per second, but does not have burst damage. That's brilliant. I love the class, as one can force the enemies to grab hearts and armor.

But that's only the outcome of one ability, the poison. What's the logic behind the combination of poison and the rest of them? Gotta admit I don't see the red thread in stun, mirror dmg and poison. Perhaps I've missed something.

To use elf as a "suppressor", if I can put it that way, would make sense if the abilities actually was a bit consistent. I've played elf a lot lately just to try to figure out what the role is. I also figured out that the most irritating and efficient way to put the points is 4 - 2. If it had been possible, I'd go for 6 - 0 for poison. Is that how "expert" elf players also think or am I way out here?

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

I still like the Idea of a hunter/scout ^^

Just some skills (i know rajh will never make it but i post for fun):

1. Tee runs 10 - 20 - 30 - 40% or 15 - 30 - 45 - 60% faster.
2. Tee has a 10 - 20 - 30 - 40% chance to dodge any damage.
3. For some seconds the Tee can jump in the air up to 3 times.

As i said - just for fun smile

And he is a true Master of magic - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qsh7W3PY … eature=fvw

What would you suggest as abilities ? I can't make them move faster well i think i can't. Immobilize is nice for hunting imo even if human can escape from it a good elf would use it after a teleport.

132 (edited by Franchan 2009-03-02 02:45:32)

Magic Merlin wrote:

I still like the Idea of a hunter/scout ^^

Just some skills (i know rajh will never make it but i post for fun):

1. Tee runs 10 - 20 - 30 - 40% or 15 - 30 - 45 - 60% faster.
2. Tee has a 10 - 20 - 30 - 40% chance to dodge any damage.
3. For some seconds the Tee can jump in the air up to 3 times.

As i said - just for fun smile

... Those are definately no fun. it ruins the physics of teeworlds like the tennis "ball" mod and the basketball "ball" mod  which features faster running. definately not fun.

dodging requires NO skill

neither does jumping

sorry i was so harsh but ... ya. its my opinion [yes i know you said they were just for fun]

Anyways,, i already made a hunter class that was turned down [In fact, i made like 7 races on page 3  and they were all turned down] In case u wanted to know, i wanted a class that requires skill, not races that have skills to help you so ya.

here it is [in case you were curious]:

Franchan123 wrote:

4. Hunter tee

/1-Respawn with weapons fully loaded
/2-Like "your" BALL mod have things that show you the current position of your or the other persons flag [So you can "hunt" them down or protect your flag holder]
/3-Katana

/1 so this would be like
lvl1-Respawn with shotgun
lvl2-Respawn with grenade launcher
lvl3-Respawn with laser
lvl4-I dunno make up something [i.e.] +1 damage or respawn with shields but no +defense like humans or
       maybe SLOW ammo regeneration for the current gun or whatever [ask me i probably have more ideas]

/2
lvl1-Show own flag carrier inaccurately [count by 1's like your ball mod]
lvl2-Show own flag carrier accurately [count by 10's 20's 50's etc. like your ball mod]

lvl3-Show enemy inaccurately carrier [count by 10's 20's 50's etc. like your ball mod]
      Or show own team's flag carrier accurately [count by 1's like your ball mod]
lvl4-Show enemy or own team's flag carrier accurately [count by 1's like your ball mod]

/3-Special Ability
Katana for 5-10s? + 30s reload time

Rajh wrote:

What would you suggest as abilities ? I can't make them move faster well i think i can't. Immobilize is nice for hunting imo even if human can escape from it a good elf would use it after a teleport.

Oh? I thought there was no more races being accepted. sad im offended, not even considering my suggestions [on page 3]

133 (edited by Golvmopp 2009-03-02 09:43:25)

Rajh wrote:

What you CAN do is making it easier to jump. The speed itself will increase due to the easier movement. And yes, stun is good to hunt carriers with, I totally agree with that. If you want some active ability as well that brings dmg I'd say heightened fire rate instead of poison.

With these changes elf is more distinct. A fragile, quick race. With better movement and higher rate of fire, it's optimal for fast raids and disruption without taking much dmg.

1. Sleight of Hands (Insert cool name) - 10% - 20% - 30% - 40% faster fire rate

2. Levitation - 10% - 20% - 30% - 40% higher jumps

3. Stun

All those values need testing ofc.

The proposition "I am the center" need never be uttered. It is the assumption upon which all certainty and all doubt turns.

Did I miss something or Sleight of Hands is Reload (orc ability) ?

I don't see the need of changing elves. As some people allready said, they allready have their role, and it's offensive support. They can harass opponents to keep them at distance, or to weaken them. They can also attack to deal loads of damage (and thus allowing others to attack), forcing enemies to go heal or die, even if they die in the process.

Golvmopp wrote:

I think elf instead would fit nice as an agile, versatile scout able to hunt carriers, defend when needed and help with attacking, trying to do as many hit-n-runs as possible.

It's exactly what they do ! Poison + counter is great on offense, Poison + immobilize is great on defense, or to hunt flag carriers.

135 (edited by Landil 2009-03-02 15:00:11)

Oopah got it! Elves are a support class and I really like 'em.

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.

Face it, elves are too overpowered. Being able to do 8 damage with one gun-shot is too much. Max 4 would be good, or make the elf "choose" when to poison or not (and if he wants, there should be a con).

Oopah wrote:

Did I miss something or Sleight of Hands is Reload (orc ability) ?

I don't see the need of changing elves. As some people allready said, they allready have their role, and it's offensive support. They can harass opponents to keep them at distance, or to weaken them. They can also attack to deal loads of damage (and thus allowing others to attack), forcing enemies to go heal or die, even if they die in the process.

Golvmopp wrote:

I think elf instead would fit nice as an agile, versatile scout able to hunt carriers, defend when needed and help with attacking, trying to do as many hit-n-runs as possible.

It's exactly what they do ! Poison + counter is great on offense, Poison + immobilize is great on defense, or to hunt flag carriers.

I dunno really if faster reload = higher fire rate, but if it is, then we just gotta find a replacement. My proposal is not one about specific abilities. It's about the role elves play. Currently, elves are like Spore (the game, you know). Trying to be four things but fail at all of them.

Also, something I've noticed is that there's a difference between elves and the other races regarding the abilities. The other races distribute their points differently according to what role they play. For example, a human that isn't planning on taking the flag probably won't put many points on mole chance. An undead that is needed for defense will put more points on vamp. to survive longer. Elves? Most put points on poison and the rest on what's left. smile

(And I STILL think that 8 dmg + bullet dmg is stepping over the border to the orc's domain.)

138 (edited by Landil 2009-03-02 18:13:19)

Somerunce wrote:

Face it, elves are too overpowered. Being able to do 8 damage with one gun-shot is too much. Max 4 would be good, or make the elf "choose" when to poison or not (and if he wants, there should be a con).

There's the tauren who can heal the poisoned tees. And if you have a look at the score table you can see that it's very balanced. Orcs/Undeads/Elves on top, humans and tauren not tongue

But I think 6-7 poison damage are enuf. make it like 1/2/4/6 damage, but one should not forget, that there's a healer class, which heals 1hp and 1armor per second!!!11one

Well when i play i don't really die due to poison if i die its cause i have 1-2 hp so 8 tick won't change it but if i have more hp:
Human : just run and take heart
Undead : just hit you won't die
Orc : They are too strong just die ! big_smile

I don't think elves are overpowered. Sure, they can do up to 8 additional damage through poison, but this damage doesn't take effect immediatly. Also you won't get poison damage for every hit, but only for the last. If yo're hit 3 times with the pistol, you won't get 27 damage but 11. And it even takes 8 seconds till this damage takes full effect. That is more than enough time to collect hearts or armor so that you won't die.

Quite the contrary, I think the elves are the race who are the first to die (maybe besides tauren). Humans have more armor and are very hard to kill. Undead can heal through vampiric damage, and orcs can deal high damage, thus killing their enemy before they are killed.

I think the main reason for everyone to hate them is because they can kill you even after you killed them. Many players can't accept that they defeat an elf but are killed nonetheless. Or so weak that the next opponent kills them easily.
But that is exactly the point of the elves. They don't deal massive damage like orcs or can take massive damage like humans. Like Landil said, they are a support race who weaken the enemy so that their teammates can take/defend the flag successfully.

aka cheesy

141 (edited by Golvmopp 2009-03-02 22:29:57)

Those are all valid points I can agree to, but why keep the poison after a tee's death? Where's the skill in killing someone with poison after he managed to kill you already?

142 (edited by Franchan 2009-03-02 23:13:43)

Somerunce wrote:

thank you for understanding. i would like to see the max of 5 ticks.
8 ticks is brutal as there arnt really that many 8 packs of shields and hearts. elves can just stand somewhere, spam the pistol so someone can be hit by it. its just not that fair.

Landil wrote:

There's the tauren who can heal the poisoned tees. And if you have a look at the score table you can see that it's very balanced. Orcs/Undeads/Elves on top, humans and tauren not tongue

But I think 6-7 poison damage are enuf. make it like 1/2/4/6 damage, but one should not forget, that there's a healer class, which heals 1hp and 1armor per second!!!11one

baisically only some people who go to the forums use the tauren skillfully and good. and a tauren is usually not there

orcs/undeads/elves are only on top because of their killing ability. im not disagreeng with yoou but humans are taurens are on the bottom because they are more defensice and basically have nothing

oh ya in my opinion. taurens are barely used. usually in a war3 server, i never see a tauren playing. and if they are, i never see them and they never heal me. in my opinion taurens are a failure [sry. that was a bit harsh]

i know rajh will say taurens are for the team to win but face it, when you have nothing, the game is a bit boring when all your doing is helping people [winning is almost the only thing that is good]

noone wants to play a boring race.

ohyea maybe elves should have slower ticks [damage] or have less [5]

Golvmopp wrote:

Those are all valid points I can agree to, but why keep the poison after a tee's death? Where's the skill in killing someone with poison after he managed to kill you already?

THAT is the best idea ive ever heard. it gives more incentive to kill the elf who is poisining you rather than run to the nearest heart or shield stop.

Golvmopp wrote:

What you CAN do is making it easier to jump. The speed itself will increase due to the easier movement. And yes, stun is good to hunt carriers with, I totally agree with that. If you want some active ability as well that brings dmg I'd say heightened fire rate instead of poison.

With these changes elf is more distinct. A fragile, quick race. With better movement and higher rate of fire, it's optimal for fast raids and disruption without taking much dmg.

1. Sleight of Hands (Insert cool name) - 10% - 20% - 30% - 40% faster fire rate

2. Levitation - 10% - 20% - 30% - 40% higher jumps

3. Stun

All those values need testing ofc.

dont mess with teeworlds physics. it will always end horribly

sometimes you do not want to jumps so high and you are stuck in the air while ppl shoot you down.

I have an idea. i got it from the [RPG] mod. RAJH maybe you should have a tee get more experiance when it is on a killing spree. then it would give the player a motive to stay alive [rather than run in with grenades, get your experiance, and die]

EDIT:sry if im taking alot of room in this topic. i love giving out ideas and opinions

Removing poison after elf's death would be stupid : killing a snake won't cure you

144 (edited by Magic Merlin 2009-03-02 23:38:46)

Come on, even the developers think that elfs are to strong wink

Franchan123 wrote:

To your edit: No problem, dude. Most important thing is, to keep topic wink
--------------------------------------------------

Elves are able to make noobs panic and this makes them die.
It's like in Team Fortress 2 with fire. If a pyro sets you on fire, you run away in the hope to get some health. The problem is, that most players don't even know how many damage the fire deals and how much life they have/had.

For example: A scout has in TF2 not very much life. 125hp. A heavy for example has 300hp. If you get on fire by a pyro, it deals 60dmg. I didn't know it when I started to play and I was like "omgot noez i r deadz lulz fagg0t nub".

I just had no idea.

Today, I can kill pyros even with a baseballbat in melee. You run there, you hit him with a bat from the back, the pyro trys to set you on fire while you shoot at him + running away. I always have a look at my life and I understand the system.

It's just like that in the WAR3 mod. Example:

We got a Tee. Let's call him "Mr. Smith". Mr. Smith has 10 hp points and 5 armor points.
Mr. Smith gets poisened by a little bullet which a stupid elf spammed around.

Mr. Smith doesn't react like all the nubs. He chills out and he kills the elf, 'cause he knows that he will have 7hp left, and that's enough to kill the guy as a orc/undead. After that, he collects hp.

Result: Mr. Smith has balls and he understood that elfs are not imba.

Hooker's collection of the most Tee-ish skins!
http://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=39896

Rajh wrote:

Removing poison after elf's death would be stupid : killing a snake won't cure you

I would have said exactly the same wink

The elves are not that strong. Orcs do more damage. The point is, elves damage you even when they don't hit you(mirror/poison). In exchange they die rather fast.

About the tauren being pretty useless: I have thought about that to.
They don't have extra damage, and they don't have extra defense, besides their invincibility. (I don't know how often you can use it, I think it hardly counts as defence)

I have thought about some ideas to make the tauren more attractive to players:
- Self-Heal:
   maybe 1 heart per second(would cancel poison)
-poison immunity
-poison heal:
   healed player doesn't get further poison damage
-damage enhance:
   maybe parallel with heal - 2 points in heal give one extra damage. So a tauren with full heal could deal 3 damage with  a pistol bullet
-ammo regeneration:
   ammo regenerates, so you won't be out of ammo in the middle of a fight. Maybe only for the weapon in use. Regenerate rate should be lower than the cooldown of the weapon, so that you can still shoot once you have shot all ammo, but slower than with ammo.

@ hooker:
he will have 6 hearts left wink
But you're right. War3 is a team game. Every race has its place. An elf may kill you with his poison, but he himself is killed fast too. If you want to live long, you can play human. If you want to kill elves, play undead wink

aka cheesy

Rajh wrote:

And last time I checked killing someone don't give me better health. <.< Reality is a stupid argument.

Golvmopp wrote:
Rajh wrote:

And last time I checked killing someone don't give me better health. <.< Reality is a stupid argument.

Fantasy is even worse :-P

149 (edited by Franchan 2009-03-03 01:22:23)

Landil wrote:
Golvmopp wrote:
Rajh wrote:

Fantasy is even worse :-P

lol who cares. its Rahj's mod and if from the way he has been talking throught this topic so far, i think he is usually set on the gameplay he has and has little room for suggestions unless he is testing something.

[Tauren could use some fixing Rajh] lol

150 (edited by Rajh 2009-03-03 14:41:12)

I'm reading all your suggestion but nothing seems to fit or possible to do. In the other hand some players are saying elves are too strong some other don't.

About taurens they are not really made for FFA, i just wanted to add more tactical team play but if you don't like taurens just don't take them or disable them with a command sv_max_taurens 0.
I might have a look to them but not atm.