Re: [MAP] Tweaked by Dreamy - DM

catpaw wrote:

No one ever gave explicitly out permission even to redistribute the map s/he uploads on the forums, so if you are a law hieratic, nobody is actually allowed to even run it on his server, because the server uploads (redistributes) it do clients connecting.

I'm sure in your local law system is somewhere a passage in which implied actions are handled. You do not always have to say/write something, to do a legally effective action. Since one could assume that  a protectionless publication might lead to the use of a graphic / map or whatever, I'm sure it was permitted.

And to the topic: the way dreamy published the map was perfect, cannot see any reason for being irritated.

Question? search function
Short movies? Lappi's link loft
Teeworlds info'n'tuts on gfx? Landil's sketchbook

@catpaw, what???

"No one ever gave explicitly out permission even to redistribute the map s/he uploads on the forums" So, when the author places a download link for his/her map, it is really an evil trick to catch us law-abiding citizens??? I feel so violated!

dude, you crack me up!

28 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-06 19:36:15)

Lappi wrote:

I'm sure in your local law system is somewhere a passage in which implied actions are handled. You do not always have to say/write something, to do a legally effective action. Since one could assume that  a protectionless publication might lead to the use of a graphic / map or whatever, I'm sure it was permitted.

I am a bit educated into european law system. Its called here concludent declaration of intent, but its a difficult subject, especially in the case of somebody putting a link on the forum its not clear what he wants to concludently declare. If he writes with it 'hey, this is my new map, please test it, i want your feedback' one could conclude he wants you to test it on your local server only, and not run a public server. And with "test" he implies a limited time only.

The same as you derive concludently the allowness to use (redistribute) it, I can just as well concludently derive the allowness to make changes to it.

munyul wrote:

@catpaw, what???

"No one ever gave explicitly out permission even to redistribute the map s/he uploads on the forums" So, when the author places a download link for his/her map, it is really an evil trick to catch us law-abiding citizens??? I feel so violated!

dude, you crack me up!

You started with this bull**** not me, I just showed you where it leads if you go this damm track.... Usually the teeworld contributer just put a download link without a long list what he wants to happen with it and what he doesn't. You imply, "but people must ask if they modify", I say with same logic you can also say: "people must if they even want to run it on their server".

However rational: please forget about all this law bull****, and just concentrate on making a nice game. If you want to improve a map, please do. Just credit the original author and mark it as a modification so it cannot be mismatched on the serverlist. Then every rational contributer can only be happy.

An education does not make one wise.

@catpaw,
"You started with this bull**** not me"
Chinese Proverb: He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.

What I started was:
- Did you ask?
- old fashioned ethics, I also stated that Dreamy did the right thing by crediting the original author (toni).

As for your comment:
"If he writes with it 'hey, this is my new map, please test it, i want your feedback' one could conclude he wants you to test it on your local server only, and not run a public server.", really, if someone posts on a public forum, "please 'test' my map", this automatically implies public access to test the map!

Catpaw, you said that you're old - ok - but how long have you been involved with mapping communities?

Your logic that it is 100% public, therefore I have the right to edit and re-release it is not very sound - but that is not what I am trying to convey in this discussion.

What I am trying to get across is; it used to be considered good manners to first ask the original author if it would be ok to edit his/her map. As Dreamy already stated, the Teeworlds community is young and needs to find it's own legs, to which I totally agree. What I do not agree with is the combined attitudes of; "I am free to do whatever I like", "it is only illegal if I get caught" and "because I like it, it must be good for everyone!".

@Dreamy,
"moral is a means to an end" - That sounds so cold and calculated, uncool.
"If a principle doesn´t serve a purpose, it is unneccessary." - Then I believe that you do not understand the concept of having principles.

@everyone,
I would like to suggest the following points for consideration;
- Mappers should try and not release untested maps (testing could be either public or private).
- When a map is in the alpha/beta phases of testing, people should use this opportunity to test the map and make comments/suggestions - and not wait for a public release so they can freely edit the map as they see fit.
- If you feel the need to edit a map (for whatever reason), it would be considered polite to ask/consult the original author first.

Can't you three guys..you know.. just be friends again?

*** JUSTICE ALWAYS WINS ***

yes, and nobody thinks of me :-(

32 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-07 08:38:35)

munyul wrote:

@catpaw,
"You started with this bull**** not me"
Chinese Proverb: He who strikes the first blow admits he's lost the argument.

And the one who needs to argue with chinese proverbs has not a normal logic to apply to.

As for your comment:
"If he writes with it 'hey, this is my new map, please test it, i want your feedback' one could conclude he wants you to test it on your local server only, and not run a public server.", really, if someone posts on a public forum, "please 'test' my map", this automatically implies public access to test the map!

If someone posts it publicly the only thing you can really conclude of, is he goes okay for you to download it from his source. Everything else is just an assumption.

Your logic that it is 100% public, therefore I have the right to edit and re-release it is not very sound - but that is not what I am trying to convey in this discussion.

My logic is, when everyone has the right to edit and re-release data, we will have a far more creative community. We can have different versions of maps, and chose as community which one is better. As editor i can freely reassemble existing data to create new communities without sending out messages all the time. This forum does not even support private messages, so often enough I cannot even contact the original author.

I detest the need of people to control things. When you release something you should consider having given to the community, and look what they make of it. The urge of excerting control forever on who may and may not edit, who may and may not use your map, etc.

What I am trying to get across is; it used to be considered good manners to first ask the original author if it would be ok to edit his/her map.

As Dreamy already stated, the Teeworlds community is young and needs to find it's own legs, to which I totally agree. What I do not agree with is the combined attitudes of; "I am free to do whatever I like", "it is only illegal if I get caught" and "because I like it, it must be good for everyone!".

Say when I work with a text of aristotele, writing secondary literature about him, citing him, do I need to ask aristotele as well?

"moral is a means to an end" - That sounds so cold and calculated, uncool.
"If a principle doesn´t serve a purpose, it is unneccessary." - Then I believe that you do not understand the concept of having principles.

Well actually he is right. Principles do serve a purpose. As Kant said, "Act only according to that maxim whereby you can at the same time will that it should become a universal law." When I don't see the maxim of a principle as universal law having any good for society, it doesn't make any sense in the sense of Kant. Well I'm already excited about having a detailed moral philosophy discussion, I like these and I am a little educated into morla philosophy smile

@everyone,
I would like to suggest the following points for consideration;
- Mappers should try and not release untested maps (testing could be either public or private).

This is again wrong, opensource principle is release early, release often. If you want others to give participative feedback in helping you constructing, you want to post a halffinished map.

- When a map is in the alpha/beta phases of testing, people should use this opportunity to test the map and make comments/suggestions - and not wait for a public release so they can freely edit the map as they see fit.

You are adhering to a very conservative idea of constructing things. Having a project, limited time, and when its finished its finished forever. This is not good. Often maps get say played for months until after a lot of experience you get a grip what can be improved. Should for example Raleigh not have released the 2D version of the foot map? Well no for him it was okay to play. Then landil came across and say, nice, but I want to improve the graphics, he did and everyone was happy. Now we play that map for months. Now I have further ideas to improve graphics, and so it goes on...

- If you feel the need to edit a map (for whatever reason), it would be considered polite to ask/consult the original author first.

If we settle on a "would be polite to" but not a "you just must do" then I agree.

U guys dont wanna hear it?
[closed]

As an administrator i will make you moderator Appleten.
And i will delete all senseless posts also btw. now.

Stick to the topic guys. I decide that tweaking maps is allowed from now on if the original creator has been asked. If not, just tell me and i will suspend the user from the forums for some days.

No need to thank me.

35 (edited by Roanoke 2008-07-07 18:09:27)

Since I have the same status as you, appleten, I reopen this thread.
[OPENED]
And amn, seriously, shut up. You are not an admin. You are not a mod. You are a flametroll that walks around and makes derogative comments about people. Deleting useless posts would mean deleting your account and associated posts.

if($poster["intelligence"] == $intelligence["idiot"])
        deny_post($poster);

Since i am serious on all my posts i dont know why they are senseless.
But at this point i dont know how to explain sarcasm to you so you can _understand_ it. Just nevermind.

But seriously now, some mod should delete the useless posts here.(Sure this concerns all of my posts also Oo)

Captain AMN wrote:

But seriously now, some mod should delete the useless posts here.(Sure this concerns all of my posts also Oo)

Nawh, 50% of them is humorous and 50% is intresting... oh... I didnt count your posts, amn wink

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

Chi11y wrote:

oh... I didnt count your posts, amn wink

I guess you didnt count your post too, it doesnt belong to any of your mentioned sections wink

Captain AMN wrote:
Chi11y wrote:

oh... I didnt count your posts, amn wink

I guess you didnt count your post too, it doesnt belong to any of your mentioned sections wink

oh, <3

Official Teeworlds map developer and community moderator
Administrator for the Teeworlds community Teesites

toni wrote:

yes, and nobody thinks of me :-(

I thought of you smile If I didn't think about about the original author (you), like Catpaw & Dreamy this discussion would not have started. wink

@Catpaw,
"And the one who needs to argue with chinese proverbs has not a normal logic to apply to.", come on, you just made that one up ... you cunning devil you!

"Say when I work with a text of aristotele, writing secondary literature about him, citing him, do I need to ask aristotele as well?" yes, and if he doesn't answer his email after a grace period of 10 days, you may assume he doesn't have anything against your request. A little common sense goes a long way.

"This is again wrong, opensource principle is release early, release often. If you want others to give participative feedback in helping you constructing, you want to post a halffinished map." Maybe you should tell the developers of Teeworlds what the principles of opensource are... There are many fixes and changes in the latest code base and when was the last release? I for one don't mind waiting if the authors get it right, it's their decision and I respect that!

And I'll ask again... how long have you been involved with mapping communities?

munyul wrote:

And I'll ask again... how long have you been involved with mapping communities?

Munyul, you make the basic logic fallacy that the rules you were teached in another social group just have to be enacted here another social group as well. As if the other community had any authority over this. They made their decisions, they developed their social rules, that doesn't mean they make any sense and we should just copy them because you said so.

I for one am by long engaged in concepts of creative work, and I dare to tell you what social structures aid and what hinder creation of new work.

Could you please stop nag about this in this thread...?

What once was a discussion about morale and authors rights have turned into a flaming war =/

If you intend to continue it, could you do it by mail or something like that? Please...

Used to be very active waay back

FireArrow wrote:

Could you please stop nag about this in this thread...?

What once was a discussion about morale and authors rights have turned into a flaming war =/

If you intend to continue it, could you do it by mail or something like that? Please...

What is flaming and who is doing it?

Flaming is what mainly catpaw and munyul have been doing lately in this thread.

Used to be very active waay back

45 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-08 12:00:16)

FireArrow wrote:

Normal discussing is not flaming. Flaming includes personal attacks, this is not been done at all.

Altough techniqe #3 "Pulling Rank" of http://www.boredreader.com/links.htm#guide has been used repitively (first try: age, second try: lifetime in map making smile) But I have seen even famous scientists using it, when challenged, how do you get to this result? The only say, I am into this over 20 years, make your own research if you beg to differ.

munyul wrote:

"Say when I work with a text of aristotele, writing secondary literature about him, citing him, do I need to ask Aristotle as well?" yes, and if he doesn't answer his email after a grace period of 10 days, you may assume he doesn't have anything against your request. A little common sense goes a long way.

yikes I... I... wow.

deny_post($poster);

47 (edited by munyul 2008-07-08 20:20:04)

FireArrow wrote:

This time I have to agree with Catpaw, there is no flamming going on here - just a discussion that seems to be going over the heads of a few readers. For a good definition read: Flame war.

@Captain AMN (and others), the original poster (Dreamy) stated in post #25 that he/she is ok with and supports this discussion.

@Catpaw,
"Munyul, you make the basic logic fallacy that the rules you were teached in another social group just have to be enacted here another social group as well."
No one was taught anything, there were never any written rules, there was never a need for any! Mappers (content providers) respected each others work, helped and supported each other. As I previously mentioned these rules were unwritten rules, not something you could have looked up on some website or read in a book. And by the way, the leasons I've learnt (through time and experience) come from various communities, not just one!

"My logic is, when everyone has the right to edit and re-release data, we will have a far more creative community. We can have different versions of maps, and chose as community which one is better." Quantity != Quality.

"I for one am by long engaged in concepts of creative work, and I dare to tell you what social structures aid and what hinder creation of new work." You just don't want to answer the question do you? What concepts of creative work were you involved in? Because you refuse to answer the question, I'm guessing it is safe to assume it was not anything to do with the gaming community.

Forget my questions, I am hoping this will be my last post on this subject. My last comment is simply this;

I find it a very sad state of affairs that there are people that think that their ideas, their needs are more important than others! An original author may spend hours working on something and may be very proud of their work, I find it very disrespectful that you can't find 5 minutes time to write an email and ask permission to improve their work and waiting a few days for a reply is not the end of the world!

munyul wrote:

@Captain AMN (and others), the original poster (Dreamy) stated in post #25 that he/she is ok with and supports this discussion.

Sorry i didn't read that.

Easy to oversee as there BILLIONS of words and lines.

You guys must have apes or slaves who write your posts. My hands would fall off.

Captain AMN wrote:
munyul wrote:

Sorry i didn't read that.

Easy to oversee as there BILLIONS of words and lines.

You guys must have apes or slaves who write your posts. My hands would fall off.

@_@ <--- Captain AMN when reading long strings of text.

deny_post($poster);

50 (edited by catpaw 2008-07-08 21:15:30)

"Say when I work with a text of aristotele, writing secondary literature about him, citing him, do I need to ask aristotele as well?" yes, and if he doesn't answer his email after a grace period of 10 days, you may assume he doesn't have anything against your request. A little common sense goes a long way.

If you had any real educuation of law instead of only knowing from hear-say, you'd know that no answer may never be interpreted as consent, since various reasons may have hindered the legal person to answer.

No one was taught anything, there were never any written rules, there was never a need for any! Mappers (content providers) respected each others work, helped and supported each other. As I previously mentioned these rules were unwritten rules, not something you could have looked up on some website or read in a book. And by the way, the leasons I've learnt (through time and experience) come from various communities, not just one!

You have "learned" this "unwritten rule", so it has been "teached to you" by that communty.

"My logic is, when everyone has the right to edit and re-release data, we will have a far more creative community. We can have different versions of maps, and chose as community which one is better." Quantity != Quality.

Thats wrong in this case out of two reasons. First we have people on two levels who select quality out of quantity. First server admins selecting maps to run on their servers, second players selecting the servers to play on. There is no harm, if some unexperienced editors makes a not so good quality edit and publishes it. It will just not get picked up. Second you assume that the original and only the original author of a map knows what is good quality for that map, and everyone else doesn't. That can be obviously wrong.

You just don't want to answer the question do you? What concepts of creative work were you involved in? Because you refuse to answer the question, I'm guessing it is safe to assume it was not anything to do with the gaming community.

Did you read up the 'pulling rank' technique of flaming a posted before? Thats clearly what you are doing. Now you *are* making it personal. Rereading the thread, I think you are really close to flaming (pulling rank, making it personal, call me "somebody who makes me chocke up") ... Nice going dude!

On the contrary, well how long have you been into opensource development, or were just editing some files of some propertery games?

I find it a very sad state of affairs that there are people that think that their ideas, their needs are more important than others! An original author may spend hours working on something and may be very proud of their work, I find it very disrespectful that you can't find 5 minutes time to write an email and ask permission to improve their work and waiting a few days for a reply is not the end of the world!

What "need" of the author shall this fullfill after all? I mean making change on the map, and show the proposed improvement or possibly also degradation to the community is not the end of the world!