Re: [GAME] Ninslash - v0.5.0

The game is already fun and playable, but the servers are still absolutely empty.
Any ideas how to get more people to play?
On my side I've put Ninslash as a featured app on my Play Store dev page, maybe it will catch a few accidental clicks.
I also have a possibility to put a link to Ninslash to one of my more popular ports, like SuperTux, but it would be a desperate measure, and I'd then better import some SuperTux levels into Ninslash to make at least some lazy tie-in effort.

@Siile you have mentioned Steam Greenlight and itch.io. Will you publish Ninslash to these platforms, or do you need to do some additional development? What are requirements for publishing there?

152 (edited by Siile 2017-01-23 14:27:55)

pelya wrote:

@Siile you have mentioned Steam Greenlight and itch.io. Will you publish Ninslash to these platforms, or do you need to do some additional development? What are requirements for publishing there?

Thanks for efforts Pelya, highly appreciated! smile

My only requirement is that I'm happy enough with the game. And I'm not happy yet.

I need to finish new flamer, add new levels, rework parts of GUI (at least add new main menu), fix all crashing bugs, add new buildings, rework some sounds...

http://ninslash.com/gifs/flame.gif

Next update in a week or two, bigger release in a few months. wink

As for me , the game is fun and playeble , as pelya said . We need some little improvments like ragdolls , choosable swords skins ( with custom colors ) , and more hats and boddies !

154 (edited by pelya 2017-01-23 17:56:39)

Siile wrote:

I need to finish new flamer, add new levels, rework parts of GUI (at least add new main menu), fix all crashing bugs, add new buildings, rework some sounds...

Next update in a week or two, bigger release in a few months. wink

Sounds like 'in a few years' by the amount of features. Where are you getting all that free time to both code and create graphics?

On my side, I would like a single-player campaign, which you can play in cooperative mode with several people. With huge maps, dialog, NPCs, several endings, and a big war mech boss, that you need to defeat piece by piece big_smile

This will reasonably take around 200 years of development for me alone, or 175 years if I won't include voice acting.

Are there any single-player Teeworlds mods, that I can 'borrow' from?

BTW I want to simplify jetpack mechanics, to improve touchscreen controls, and to fix this bug when you have two jetpack jets at the same time, if you hold both Space and right mouse button. I will create a pull request.
Siile, how flexible are you to changing gameplay or physics? I'm not going to make any big changes, just make controls act less random when you are trying to shoot and run away at the same time.

Just to say it, TeeUniverse will soon support Ninslash maps. So it will be easier for you or other peoples to create maps.

156 (edited by Siile 2017-01-23 20:07:51)

pelya wrote:

...and to fix this bug

A feature.

pelya wrote:

Siile, how flexible are you to changing gameplay or physics?

In a heartbeat... if I like the changes. wink

necropotame wrote:

TeeUniverse will soon support Ninslash maps.

Will you support my battle droids? big_smile

http://ninslash.com/gifs/walker2.gif

157 (edited by xush 2017-01-23 20:27:29)

You could really nail it if you add competitive gaming. Addict dem kiddos. Later on, when the Gameplay is done obviously.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

Siile wrote:

Will you support my battle droids? big_smile

Last time, you told me that Ninslash use only classical entities/tiles format. I've just saw that you added a skeleton layer in the map format. Is it used for something in particular? Anyway, I've already implemented skeletal animation and a custom GUI to animate everything. It's just disabled for now until I've done the rest and refresh the code a little. So I don't see a particular limitation smile

xush wrote:

You could really nail it if you add competitive gaming. Addict dem kiddos. Later on, when the Gameplay is done obviously.

Isn't this kind of thing supposed to develop on it's own? I thought CS and Starcraft were never expected to be platforms for doing sports, they just were popular and with a robust predictable gameplay.

Modern competitive games are fueled by prize money shoveled in by their developers, we don't have this kind of resources.

Adding leaderboards or even weekly knockout-style matches to the game won't do any good if we don't have a robust community first.

160 (edited by Siile 2017-01-23 21:50:07)

Headhunter<3 wrote:

...some little improvments like ragdolls , choosable swords skins ( with custom colors ) , and more hats and boddies !

Ragdoll corpses would be nice, but we'll have to live a while with a cheaper alternative. I have 6 new hairs for next version, done with a bit different style. They're made solely for Ninslash, and I hope we'll get some new bodies soon as well. wink
http://ninslash.com/gifs/meat3.gif
The blinking of hearts is a result of changing to spectator mode if you wonder.

necropotame wrote:

Last time, you told me that Ninslash use only classical entities/tiles format. I've just saw that you added a skeleton layer in the map format. Is it used for something in particular?

I don't actually use the skeleton layer. BeaR fulfilled my wildest dream and wrote it to Teeworlds, and I copied the main parts for characters. I don't use it for levels, which is a shame. smile

pelya wrote:
xush wrote:

Isn't this kind of thing supposed to develop on it's own? I thought CS and Starcraft were never expected to be platforms for doing sports, they just were popular and with a robust predictable gameplay.

Modern competitive games are fueled by prize money shoveled in by their developers, we don't have this kind of resources.

Adding leaderboards or even weekly knockout-style matches to the game won't do any good if we don't have a robust community first.

Imo it is by having a number to compare yourself to your friends.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

xush wrote:

Imo it is by having a number to compare yourself to your friends.

True, but leaderboards as done by Google Play game services are proven to be useless, they are hacked in a week after any game is released.

I would imagine something more like 'player X killed player Y 10 times last week', which is more robust to hacking, since it also depends on player Y auth data, sending fake results or killing fake players is not going to work.

You also can have automagic algorithm determining top players by kills each week, but only among people that you have personally played with, so you are sure they are not bots, and if some player inflates kill count using bots, those kills will be ignored in the leaderboard you can see, because you did not play with these bots, and even if you did, you bested them, so killing weaker players does not influence your relative rank that much.

I think we will end up with good old 1vs1 knockout matches in the end, but these have to be organized beforehand, this requires much more effort for players than just opening game and accumulating prestige points at any time.

Oh, and we then need a centralized authentication system. And a robust web server. I don't think my ARM dev board in a shoebox that I'm using to host a dedicated server is reliable enough for that task.

I would imagine something more like 'player X killed player Y 10 times last week', which is more robust to hacking, since it also depends on player Y auth data, sending fake results or killing fake players is not going to work.

That would mean you effectively can't lose a rank because you could program your client to never send the message that you were killed.

The only real option is to have control over the game servers. But yes, then it seems easily possible, assuming you are the only one who runs ranked game servers (you can trust them to provide correct values) and there may be different servers but those are unranked.

Besides if the lack is just server, many people here could do something about it.

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Siile wrote:
Headhunter<3 wrote:

...some little improvments like ragdolls , choosable swords skins ( with custom colors ) , and more hats and boddies !

Ragdoll corpses would be nice, but we'll have to live a while with a cheaper alternative. I have 6 new hairs for next version, done with a bit different style. They're made solely for Ninslash, and I hope we'll get some new bodies soon as well. wink
http://ninslash.com/gifs/meat3.gif
The blinking of hearts is a result of changing to spectator mode if you wonder.

necropotame wrote:

Last time, you told me that Ninslash use only classical entities/tiles format. I've just saw that you added a skeleton layer in the map format. Is it used for something in particular?

I don't actually use the skeleton layer. BeaR fulfilled my wildest dream and wrote it to Teeworlds, and I copied the main parts for characters. I don't use it for levels, which is a shame. smile

This looks so awesome !

TeeUniverse can now import/export ninslash maps smile

https://s28.postimg.org/vpnp78dxn/teeuniverse_ninslash.png

necropotame wrote:

TeeUniverse can now import/export ninslash maps smile

Nice! Now I only need someone to do the maps. big_smile

167 (edited by Siile 2017-02-07 20:36:09)

• New map: Factory2

• Jump pads!

• New flamethrower

• Dead meat

• Sliding & wall running changed slightly

• Some bug fixes I already forgot about

• Some other stuff I also forgot big_smile

download (win / unix)

http://ninslash.com/gifs/tdm.gif

I like new flamethrower, it looks much better.

But you did not merge my jetpack pull request :'(

Didn't notice it before. I'll give it a shot before merging.

Your download link has a 502 Bad Gateway error

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

171 (edited by Siile 2017-02-08 14:30:34)

android272 wrote:

Your download link has a 502 Bad Gateway error

Try mirror:
Download (win & unix, Dropbox)

Edit. Planned roadmap for next releases:

• Stability update

• New maps

• New buildings

• More server config possibilities (iCtf, survival mode etc.)

• New item system to replace mines

• New menus

• Campaign / co-op mode

• Big release

The execution order might vary. I'm still hoping to find someone, preferably from teeworlds community, to help with graphics.

Dear Teeworlds community,

Which server configs (vote on / off) would you like to see?

I added a server config for one hit kill and for forcing weapon as the only available weapon, so now iDM, gCTF and such "modes" can be added as votes to server. Survival mode is next on my list, and there's already couple of more experimental settings, like infinite jetpack fuel and random buff on spawn. So, in-flight chainsaw tdm is already there, but which variable would take it to the next level? cool

173 (edited by Deepfinder 2017-02-10 17:20:11)

Could you add oldschool-tees as skin? And oldschool-weapons?
So an old soldier have to fight against this newschool-kiddys and KILL THEM ALL

I will be banned if I troll again ...

174 (edited by James_Trj 2017-02-11 00:38:33)

I agree, I'd like to play with the classic "tee" equipped with hook and standard weapons and fight against those jetpack equipped guys

Deepfinder wrote:

Could you add oldschool-tees as skin? And oldschool-weapons?
So an old soldier have to fight against this newschool-kiddys and KILL THEM ALL

This is bad idea and you should feel bad. neutral

You too James_Trj