Re: [GAME] Ninslash - v0.5.0

lol noob

I've set it as Play Store page video.

pelya wrote:

lol noob

I've set it as Play Store page video.

Come play and I'll show you noob! ;D

I applied a minor patch yesterday, that improved hud a tiny bit and fixed one possible client crash.

Siile wrote:

DM Gameplay clip: https://youtu.be/Q025ivIT_Yo

looks really cool !

Quatria wrote:

looks really cool !

Thanks!
I've started to rework the hud, taking "some" inspiration from Nodes (thanks Landil smile)
http://ninslash.com/png/hud.png

There's overwhelmingly much to do, but step by step the game is getting better.

Here's a gif from ctf
http://ninslash.com/gifs/ctf.gif

Testing some new stuff:
http://ninslash.com/gifs/walker2.gif

Walker's style doesn't fit 100%. hmm

nice one, good job!

Hey!

Is there, by any chance, anyone who would like to help me with graphics? The robot in the gif above would need some restyling (e.g. stronger outlines), and I'd like to have a couple of cyborg / robot skins for AI controlled enemy characters.

I've been planning to include a linear "start from x, go to y" 1-4 players co-op gamemode, that could possibly act as base for story mod of a kind. More difficulty level design with hits & switches, electric walls, traps and multiple ways to die.

I got a placeholder skin for robots done:
http://ninslash.com/png/robot1.png

...and I started with co-op gamemode, where you spawn at x, and move on to next map when you reach y. Will take some time to finish, so you'll have to wait for an update a while. tongue

Are you interested by an export function in TeeUniverse ? That way, a TeeUniverse package can be transformed into Ninshlash map. Is your map format the same as the vanilla one (just a custom entities.png file) ?

The map format is still the same, just with different entities. But I'm not that interested into exporting, but I might want to "borrow" some parts of your editor 2.0.

136 (edited by Schwertspize 2016-12-08 09:12:54)

Remember the copyleft, but it's still FOSS smile

Good job necropotame, keep it up

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Heyho Siile (and everyone else)! I made a neat little gamemode for Ninslash!
It's called "GunGame" (which pretty much explains the whole thing already big_smile) It's just like the GunGame mode from old CounterStrike (in CS:GO there's "Arms Race" but basically it's the same so...)
For those who don't know what it is: You always have just one weapon; with every kill you get to the next weapon and with every death you're thrown back by one weapon. The weapon you get always replaces the current one, so you'll only have one. The goal is to reach the knife (here it's the sword-thingy) and do a kill with it to win the game. As simple as that.
Additionally:
* When you get a kill your health will be refilled
* Ammo can be refilled by...
-- 1. picking up crates: each crate only gives you part of your ammo back
-- 2. picking up the weapon that you currently have will refill your ammo completely (pickups are still enabled, so just search for the right one)
* It's only possible to pick up the weapon that you are currently holding according to your score
* Bots are enabled (of course - and they kick ass man!)

It's quite fun to play, and fits in with Ninslash pretty well actually smile

Source is available here (for now - maybe it would eventually get merged into master? I'd be glad to fully integrate and pull-request it wink)
https://github.com/Henningstone/Ninslash/tree/gungame

Some background information on the code: I kept everything as clean as possible having done all my things in the mod's own gamecontroller class (which I obviously created for that). The only changes outside so far were a general crash fix for CGameContext::SendChatTarget and a tiny function to refill one's health (CCharacter::RefillHealth).

That's cool! cool

I'll have a look soon (don't expect too soon). Do you have preferred configs?

DM ai seems to work ok? I should clean up and refactor the ai code, now it's a mess. Btw, the ai has variable m_PowerLevel, and by increasing it the bot reacts faster and gets more accurate.

I changed (or will change) assault rifle to a new much less powerful weapon (basically laser assault rifle), so that might affect gungame too. It's mainly aimed for bots in co-op mode and for turrets (infinite ammo!).

Should I bring back cs mod? Ninslash is based on it, so shouldn't be too hard. smile

Ninslash.com is momentarily down, but project is alive and kicking.

/Siile

Siile, if you'll be designing new weapons, please consider adding something that is not firing straight and predictable, like electro rifle / assault rifle / railgun.

And I would like flamer not to be a copy of grenade launcher, currently it has the same trajectory. A flamer in my opinion is an area denial weapon, shooting a cloud of many slow-moving long-lived projectiles, that stick to the floor for a bit.

I would love guided missile, larpa, or hellraider from Liero, they are not predictable and fun to play with

Siile wrote:

Do you have preferred configs?

I added a file to the example configs that can be used to setup gungame.

Siile wrote:

DM ai seems to work ok? I should clean up and refactor the ai code, now it's a mess. Btw, the ai has variable m_PowerLevel, and by increasing it the bot reacts faster and gets more accurate.

Yap, the DM AI is totally fine for this gametype! I didn't even look into the actual AI code, it worked as is smile And I don't think that the bots need to be even harder to beat, so I'm not gonna touch that m_PowerLevel variable tongue

Siile wrote:

I changed (or will change) assault rifle to a new much less powerful weapon (basically laser assault rifle), so that might affect gungame too. It's mainly aimed for bots in co-op mode and for turrets (infinite ammo!).

I don't think it would have a too high impact on gungame to change the assault rifle. It could only be a bit earlier in the weapon order if it gets too much weaker (infinite ammo would also favor that) . And for turrets... they don't exist in gungame since it would pretty much abduct the sense of this gametype. I made it so that maps don't need to be changed by just not loading the stands.

Siile wrote:

Should I bring back cs mod? Ninslash is based on it, so shouldn't be too hard. smile

Oh that would be cool! I think it'd also fit in the Ninslash gameplay nicely wink

pelya wrote:

And I would like flamer not to be a copy of grenade launcher, currently it has the same trajectory.

My plan was to make it more of a flamethrower, but I lack some necessary assets (great excuse). Weapons are a bit boring now.

Henningstone wrote:

I tried the mod and it works fine. I'll need to make a setting for disabling mines and buildings. Also dropping weapon reloads it instead, so... Worked fine with dm settings (just changing the gametype). smile

142 (edited by Henningstone 2016-12-15 22:42:39)

Siile wrote:

I tried the mod and it works fine. I'll need to make a setting for disabling mines and buildings. Also dropping weapon reloads it instead, so... Worked fine with dm settings (just changing the gametype). smile

Nice that you found time to test it smile
And very glad that you found the exploit with dropping the weapon to get your ammo back, I didn't even consider trying that yikes I'll fix these last thing tomorrow. If you want me to I can also bind it in the game a little better, at the moment it's more like floating on top of it, requiring some little hacks to get stuff done

// Edit: wow cool, I just realized that this post officially is post #100.000 no this forum (officially - according to the counter on the index page). Felt like worth mentioning big_smile

Congrats on taking the 100.000th post home. cool

http://ninslash.com/png/gui.png

• New GUI mostly in place (Max hp = 100)

• New mode: Gungame - Thanks Henningstone!

• New numeric damage indicators

• New sword skin - Thanks MadPezkoh

• Assault rifle replaces with similar laser rifle, mainly for building & ai enemies

• Bug fixes

• Some stuff ready for next gamemode

• Some minor stuff I already forgot about

Click image to download (win / unix)

Not really in the Teeworlds spirit, but I still really like that GUI.

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Would be cool to have buildings like these things in nodes!

I will be banned if I troll again ...

Updated Android version.

Weapon autoswitching when out of ammo is broken, because the chainsaw is now the weapon with a highest ID, so it's considered the most powerful and is getting selected first, also the first weapon should be selected when you only have the sword.

I think I'll fix that, add buttons for building turrents, laying mines, and dropping weapons, and finally publish it (I mean, out of beta).

There are still no ninjas in the game. Maybe we could add some ninja badguys, like those spiky monsters, spawning randomly and slashing left and right, with very low health?

Dune wrote:

Not really in the Teeworlds spirit, but I still really like that GUI.

Thanks! Credit to Landil, who made the originals I used (Nodes).

Deepfinder wrote:

Would be cool to have buildings like these things in nodes!

All I need is the graphics... I can do only so much using the existing ones.

pelya wrote:

There are still no ninjas in the game. Maybe we could add some ninja badguys, like those spiky monsters, spawning randomly and slashing left and right, with very low health?

I've actually replaced the spiky monsters with these. And yeah, still no ninjas.

148 (edited by pelya 2017-01-07 08:01:58)

Siile, I think that this new laser rifle weapon is overpowered - it has limitless ammo, and it has almost the same range as a sniper rifle, which means you can spam it from a safe distance and run away at any sight of a danger, even though it's not that much powerful. It also allows to build a turret with a limitless ammo.
Did you copypaste the robot rifle by mistake?
Another reason is my out-of-ammo weapon switching code gets confused by a limitless ammo smile

Robots are awesome, but they are available only on dm1 and testdm1 maps, and they do not respawn once killed. I wish you could enable robots everywhere via an option, and spawn your own robot using 3 construction boxes.

Laser rifle and sniper rifle look similar, I'd like to suggest to take sniper rifle GFX from here, but the color theme is different.

Edit: I've copied the sniper rifle from MadPezkoh's game skin, after performing some color-correction. What do you think?

http://i.imgur.com/VfxjwNp.png

Edit2: I've finally published Android app to production. Let's start collecting some 1-star reviews!

New laser rifle is mainly for building and for enemies in co-op. The infinite ammo is good for building, but the damage is so non-existential compared to other weapons (5 dmg, "sniper" 35 damage, electric 24 dmg etc).

I have some plans for a couple of existing weapons. I'll change the skins (maybe) once I've reworked the weapons.

The droids / walkers / robots still need some work. They're mainly for co-op too.

150 (edited by pelya 2017-01-12 20:32:07)

After a few games, I agree about the laser rifle - it's underpowered, this offsets limitless ammo.

You've mentioned in Skype that Android touchscreen controls are poor. Do you have any suggestions how to improve them?

Edit: chat, voting, and gamepad controls are now supported in Android version.

Edit2: Reddit has failed me. 5 upvotes, eh? I should have written some sob story about being a poor indie dev and this being my very first game after two years of hard work on sleepless nights and weekends. Which is not true and a bad time management anyway. Well, I did spend one night polishing up weapon selection interface, then I have slept through the weekend, not that I care enough to go out to the city and try to have some fun when there's 10 cm layer of wet snow covering everything.