Re: [GAME] Ninslash - v0.5.0

I really like the camera shake on impact. The blood is a bit weird but I like it.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

102 (edited by Neox 2016-10-10 03:09:43)

Hello! I wanted to test Ninslash out... I entered in a gametype called "INF", heared a chainsaw sound, then the client crashed.
I'm using windows 10.

Edit :
I was able to enter DM, I played it. Nice! I think I miss the binds to select a weapon...
I tried to enter CTF but all of them have incompatible versions with the current client.

Finally, I tried to enter again infection.. it worked! I like the AI smile You die pretty quickly but still lol (I think it's because I'm a noob tongue)
Also, I bound a touch to select the knife (the secondary weapon), sometimes it wasn't working! Maybe I don't know the game enough yet. It wasn't working while I was playing infection (and of course I was a human, I had to scroll/use the weapon selector to use it)

What I really would like you to do is implementing a way to bind keys to select the grenade launcher etc. Also make CTF playable please smile

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

unsigned char* wrote:

Perhaps you can get more 'public' if make something like "race" mod with your new map elements... hmm

Publicity and growing the player base aren't my current priorities. tongue

But yeah, I'm interested in racing aspect too, but I don't want to force it. There's tons of modes I want to create, but for now I need to improve the game core. New GUI, tutorial, new maps... These are all necessities before I can really start keeping more noise and spreading the game for wider audience.

android272 wrote:

I really like the camera shake on impact. The blood is a bit weird but I like it.

Thanks! Screenshake is a bit heavy, but not too much?

Neox wrote:

I was able to enter DM, I played it. Nice! I think I miss the binds to select a weapon...
I tried to enter CTF but all of them have incompatible versions with the current client.

Thanks for the feedback!

The client sometimes crashes when you join the game. This is the one fatal bug I haven't located yet. Second or third time usually works, and once you're in game you shouldn't crash anymore when joining servers. I haven't heard that the client has crashed in unix. If it does, please let me know and send me all the info possible. Windows console logs hasn't revealed anything useful yet, and since the crash is difficult to reproduce it's also hard to debug.

Currently only one of the servers is mine, and fast update rate makes sure that not all servers are up to date. I made ctf2 yesterday, which worked nice even in 1 vs 1.

The weapon system and especially building still leaves a lot to hope for.

Neox wrote:

Finally, I tried to enter again infection.. it worked! I like the AI smile You die pretty quickly but still lol (I think it's because I'm a noob tongue)

AI players are super aggressive when they don't have teammates. So the first bot with chainsaw is the most aggressive, and the last surviving bots are really fast and accurate.

/Siile

104 (edited by pelya 2016-10-10 10:00:30)

I need to improve the game core. New GUI, tutorial, new maps.

About that, Siile, are you planning any new weapons, or removing some existing ones? I'd like to know before designing touchscreen weapon selection GUI.
Current weapons are: nine weapons from selector wheel (from sword to assault rifle), two types of mines, a wrench (still got no idea how to use it), and a turret part (cannot carry more than one, so it's counted as one weapon). Is there anything else you can select or use? What that fuel barrel does in the builder menu?

The client sometimes crashes when you join the game.

Valgrind + overnight robustness test may help you.

pelya wrote:

I need to improve the game core. New GUI, tutorial, new maps.

About that, Siile, are you planning any new weapons, or removing some existing ones? I'd like to know before designing touchscreen weapon selection GUI.
Current weapons are: nine weapons from selector wheel (from sword to assault rifle), two types of mines, a wrench (still got no idea how to use it), and a turret part (cannot carry more than one, so it's counted as one weapon). Is there anything else you can select or use? What that fuel barrel does in the builder menu?

The client sometimes crashes when you join the game.

Valgrind + overnight robustness test may help you.

Thank for the link. I'll have a look, that might be answer to the issue.

I'll add some new weapons in the future, and likely rework some of the current ones. Next weapon I'll add is a hammer. big_smile

I need to rework building. Constructing buildings from smaller parts is not really intuitive and user friendly approach. I've got some great suggestions for improvements, and will act on them soon(ish). smile

Everything might change, so I don't lock my answers.

/Siile

pelya wrote:

I'd like to know before designing touchscreen weapon selection GUI.

Do you need the weapon picker? I'd like to remove it and make weapon selection simple (numbers 1-9) again.

Siile wrote:
pelya wrote:

I'd like to know before designing touchscreen weapon selection GUI.

Do you need the weapon picker? I'd like to remove it and make weapon selection simple (numbers 1-9) again.

Please do it. I want it so bad.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Siile wrote:

That would make my life easier. I was going to make a simple weapon picker bar at the top of the screen, or do some kind of rotating picker wheel if there would be too many weapons to fit into the bar.

109 (edited by pelya 2016-10-23 02:19:02)

Teecloud.de and DoGma servers use outdated version, so now only three dedicated servers are usable. And I think there were 4 Teecloud.de servers, now there's only one.

If anyone interested, here's the script I'm using to run my dedicated servers, it pulls latest changes from Git and complies the binary. You will need to add something like this to your crontab, to update and restart the server at 4 AM:

0 4 * * * cd /path/to/ninslash; killall -KILL ninslash_srv_run; sleep 1; ./update-run-ded-srv.sh

@Siile how about adding 'push the bomb to the enemy base' game mod, instead of CTF? My reason for this is that the bot logic would be easy to code - all bots from both teams just need to gather around the bomb to push it. You can check out Gangfort Android game to look at this game mode (disregard poor controls and laggy servers, Ninslash is already better).

pelya wrote:

@Siile how about adding 'push the bomb to the enemy base' game mod, instead of CTF? My reason for this is that the bot logic would be easy to code - all bots from both teams just need to gather around the bomb to push it. You can check out Gangfort Android game to look at this game mode (disregard poor controls and laggy servers, Ninslash is already better).

I've already done cstt (counter strike: tee time), which is something like I imagine you mean without opening the link. tongue

CTF is ready (including simple AI) but I need to rework weapon and building system before new release. Been lazy for a while. wink

Android version got a new awesome weapon bar at top of the screen, and you can even drop your current weapon by swiping up. I'll add a dedicated button for that, because it's super non-obvious.
Mines and buildings still do not work, I'll wait until Siile reworks the weapon system.
Scoretable can be shown by touching the health bar, which is also not very obvious, and I cannot draw a button on top of the health bar.
I've discovered that level shaders disappear if the app is restored from the background, but it's not that critical, because you are kicked from the server anyway, because of inactivity.
I also need to improve jumping controls, because now I'm activating jetpack mid-air when I don't want it.
Also add a chat button, and I can publish it for real, without the alpha tag.

pelya wrote:

Android --snip-- weapon bar at top of the screen, and you can even drop your current weapon by swiping up--snip--

That doesn't sound ideal

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

You can also swipe down, but then you'll activate Android notification bar.

Some news:
-the new "weapon system" is almost ready
-I changed physics a bit, you should feel the difference
-characters are now a bit more alive (added some bounciness to head and feet)
-ai works in ctf
-new ctf map
-pistol has been removed
-new example config file with better votes (one file for all gamemodes)
-new background for menu
-new menu for control settings

Things left to do before next release:
-new building menu
-fix client crash, I'm getting close to the cause, but it's really hard to replicate

I could use help with testing, graphics (new skins, factory / lab / industrial doodads, swing trace effect for hammer), maps and programming (modular level generating).

Please push it to Github, I'll try to update Android version tomorrow.

Ninslash.com is down.

Did you consider to create IPv6 masterserver, so people who host their servers can take an advantage of IPv6? I've started a masterserver on my own IPv6 host, I've created a pull request. This host is located in US, and should be available for at least 1.5 years, I'm running one of my dedicated servers on it.

pelya wrote:

Please push it to Github, I'll try to update Android version tomorrow.

Ninslash.com is down.

Did you consider to create IPv6 masterserver, so people who host their servers can take an advantage of IPv6? I've started a masterserver on my own IPv6 host, I've created a pull request. This host is located in US, and should be available for at least 1.5 years, I'm running one of my dedicated servers on it.

Ninslash seemed to be up yesterday and right now, but I've had some issues with the host so I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't work from time to time.

I'll push to github once I've reworked the building. I managed to fix the client crash and finish with the weapon system yesterday, so next release can be expected soon.

What would be the benefit of IPv6 masterserver? I'm not planning to spend any time doing stuff that has no impact on core gameplay, at least for a while.

The advantage of IPv6 is that you do not need to configure your router or forward ports to host a server.
All IPv6 addresses are global, so you can host a public server from your phone, no matter if you're using WiFi or 3G.

That's only if you're not behind a NAT, which I imagine most residential internet connections will be as we slowly move toward IPv6 being dominant

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

pelya wrote:

The advantage of IPv6 is that you do not need to configure your router or forward ports to host a server.
All IPv6 addresses are global, so you can host a public server from your phone, no matter if you're using WiFi or 3G.

Most home routers should have (and have) a firewall that doesn't allow incoming connections. This stops remote attackers from exploiting outdated hardware or software in the consumer's home network.

Ok. I think the active players (both of them) can live without master server updates.

[pieLover] wrote:

That's only if you're not behind a NAT, which I imagine most residential internet connections will be as we slowly move toward IPv6 being dominant

Wrong. IPv6 makes NAT unnecessary. Even on mobile connection, all IPv6 addresses are global.

Most home routers should have (and have) a firewall that doesn't allow incoming connections

My TP-Link router had firewall disabled by default, I expect other routers will be the same.

pelya wrote:

Most home routers should have (and have) a firewall that doesn't allow incoming connections

My TP-Link router had firewall disabled by default, I expect other routers will be the same.

This is actually very bad and you should change that! Normally firewall is enabled by default, at least dropping incoming packages

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

123 (edited by Siile 2016-11-09 20:43:14)

https://www.ninslash.com/ninslash.png

version 0.2
  • CTF fully supported

• Better gameplay feel

• New weapon selection

• New building system

• New map - CTF3

• Votes to change gamemode in server

Click image to download (win / unix)

Android version updated.
I've changed controls once again, now it has a proper jump button.
Now that the chainsaw is the last weapon in the list, weapon autoswitching always selects it first. I would rather have it at the position 2, as it was before, next to the sword.
Controls for base building and mines not implemented yet on Android.

DM Gameplay clip: https://youtu.be/Q025ivIT_Yo