Re: [TeeUniverse] Devlog

Are you sure that you have compiled the assets editor branch ?

@necropotame not dependency.... Anyway, we don't have to use github, just any other repo works the same

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

178 (edited by android272 2016-04-05 16:45:37)

necropotame wrote:

Are you sure that you have compiled the assets editor branch ?

No? I am not sure about this..... Hold on..

OK I got the assets editor branch compiled.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

I was wondering if you wanted a main menu image for the assets editor? I am thinking maybe blueprints of the shotgun or something. What do you think? Anyone got a better idea?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

android272 wrote:

I was wondering if you wanted a main menu image for the assets editor? I am thinking maybe blueprints of the shotgun or something. What do you think? Anyone got a better idea?

For sure! I like your idea of shotgun. I wanted initially to ask you for your avatar, but the shotgun is maybe better smile

I will create some things and get back to you.

182 (edited by android272 2016-04-05 23:17:07)

Here you go! This was a lot of fun.

Assets Editor menuimage

I tested it in your editor and it looks pretty good. Let me know what you think.

You can download the SVG and PNG files Here!

I have noticed that the assets editor crashes after I add an image and try to create a sprite with that image.  When I go to select the image for the sprite that is when it crashes.

Very nice! I will integrate it, thanks a lot smile
If you select an internal image for a sprite, does it crash ?

184 (edited by 2016-04-06 22:49:51)

necropotame wrote:

Very nice! I will integrate it, thanks a lot smile
If you select an internal image for a sprite, does it crash ?

No it only happens when I make an image and try to make a sprite out of it.

also did you notice that hitting Esc on every other screen in 0.7 takes you back to the main menu? maybe you could make it so that Esc asks the player whether they want to save individual animations and then take you back to the main menu or abort (go back to editing them).

android272 wrote:

No it only happens when I make an image and try to make a sprite out of it.

Ok, I found how to reproduce it. I will fix it for the next "beta release". A workaround consists to add the image and then set the grid size of this image to at least 1x1. Then you can use it with sprites.

android272 wrote:

also did you notice that hitting Esc on every other screen in 0.7 takes you back to the main menu? maybe you could make it so that Esc asks the player whether they want to save individual animations and then take you back to the main menu or abort (go back to editing them).

I've never notice this before smile I will add it.

186 (edited by android272 2016-04-07 10:57:53)

necropotame wrote:

Ok, I found how to reproduce it. I will fix it for the next "beta release". A workaround consists to add the image and then set the grid size of this image to at least 1x1. Then you can use it with sprites.

maybe put up a warning instead of allowing you to do this.  some might think its broken when they see nothing show up.

Yeah, it was just a bug. It's now fixed on my machine (it's impossible to set grid size less than 1), but I will commit it when bone animations are ready. Here is a small preview of the skeleton of a tee: one for each foot, one for the body and one for the eyes (attached to the body). Hands are still missing smile

http://s16.postimg.org/fp1943uj5/modapi_bones.jpg

b.t.w. android272, if you can make a better "dummy" skin than mine, it could be great wink This dummy skin will be the default skin of a tee skeleton in the assets editor (but not available ingame). You can arrange each part of the body like in this image, if you are interested:
http://s23.postimg.org/75k0wkffr/dummy.jpg

I've also added new type of assets packages. Initially, a asset could be internal (default assets of the game, like game.png) or external (the one send by the server). Now, an assets can also came from skins and maps.
For skins, all .png and .assets will be loaded in the skins directory. If the file is an image, it will be converted into sprites and skeleton skin automatically. If not, assets will be simply loaded. So skins can contains more than just images, like animations or new extensions of the skeleton (for hats, hairs, ...).
For maps, I think I will replace the .map file by a .assets file. It means that a map will be just a list of assets. Of course, layers and quads will be a type of asset, but the map could also define particles effects, sprites, skeletal animations, ... In addition, the server could send a "DrawSprite" signal to the client with the ID of a sprite defined in the map, not in the mod. That way, the graphics needed by the mod can be adapted to each map (like a boss different for each map, or a weapon skin). The consequence of this is that the Map Editor should be merged with the Assets Editor. An option to save the map into old format will be provided, in order for the server to send the appropriate map to each client.
What do you think about that ? Is it too much ?

Im not understanding the assets editor.  Images is easy to understand you take images and set up the grid. Sprites are easy as well you split images into different objects. 

I don't understand Sprite Lists. When you click the plus sign it creates an animation?

In animations you have this arrow, I like your animation system a lot better than vanillas, but how do you add sprites? 

I don't understand Tee animations as you don't really animate a tee as much as you put a bunch of animations together. which I think might get aggravating if I am trying to create an animation with the whole body and I have to go back and forth between the different animations and the tee animation.

attacks are kinda odd as well.

necropotame wrote:

I've also added new type of assets packages. Initially, a asset could be internal (default assets of the game, like game.png) or external (the one send by the server). Now, an assets can also came from skins and maps.

So I could add images from eyes, feets, or decorations? also what

necropotame wrote:

For skins, all .png and .assets will be loaded in the skins directory. If the file is an image, it will be converted into sprites and skeleton skin automatically. If not, assets will be simply loaded. So skins can contains more than just images, like animations or new extensions of the skeleton (for hats, hairs, ...).

Cool!

necropotame wrote:

For maps, I think I will replace the .map file by a .assets file. It means that a map will be just a list of assets. Of course, layers and quads will be a type of asset, but the map could also define particles effects, sprites, skeletal animations, ... In addition, the server could send a "DrawSprite" signal to the client with the ID of a sprite defined in the map, not in the mod. That way, the graphics needed by the mod can be adapted to each map (like a boss different for each map, or a weapon skin). The consequence of this is that the Map Editor should be merged with the Assets Editor. An option to save the map into old format will be provided, in order for the server to send the appropriate map to each client.
What do you think about that ? Is it too much ?

Why is the map editor and the assets editor being merged?

android272 wrote:

I don't understand Sprite Lists. When you click the plus sign it creates an animation?

This part is not editable for now (not implemented yet)

android272 wrote:

In animations you have this arrow, I like your animation system a lot better than vanillas, but how do you add sprites?

Animations is not related to sprite. An animation is just how something move. It could be an sprite, a text, it depends of how it used. This is why I've added an arrow, to represent the motion made by the animation.

android272 wrote:

I don't understand Tee animations as you don't really animate a tee as much as you put a bunch of animations together. which I think might get aggravating if I am trying to create an animation with the whole body and I have to go back and forth between the different animations and the tee animation.

A tee animation is a set of animation that is used to compute the position of each part. It's true that you must go back to each animation to create a true tee animation. Keep in mind that if you click on the "pen" icon of an asset, the editor control the new selected asset, but the view still display the previous one. So you can edit an animation while viewing a tee animation. b.t.w., all of this stuff while be deleted and replaced by skeletal animation which will be much more easer to edit.

android272 wrote:

attacks are kinda odd as well.

This will be improved also, using skeletal animation.

android272 wrote:

So I could add images from eyes, feets, or decorations? also what

You should create a .asset file using the editor to create an new skin. The image based version is here just to maintain compatibility with vanilla skins. I will add also a tw06 folder to maintain compatibility with 0.6 skins.

necropotame wrote:

Why is the map editor and the assets editor being merged?

I'm not sure yet if it's the best solution smile But it's more "longterm" anyway.

190 (edited by 2016-04-07 13:42:55)

necropotame wrote:

Animations is not related to sprite. An animation is just how something move. It could be an sprite, a text, it depends of how it used. This is why I've added an arrow, to represent the motion made by the animation.

This makes since now, but I think it would be useful to be able to replace it with a sprite. Although the pen does basically the same thing I guess.

necropotame wrote:

A tee animation is a set of animation that is used to compute the position of each part. It's true that you must go back to each animation to create a true tee animation. Keep in mind that if you click on the "pen" icon of an asset, the editor control the new selected asset, but the view still display the previous one. So you can edit an animation while viewing a tee animation. b.t.w., all of this stuff while be deleted and replaced by skeletal animation which will be much more easer to edit.

This is making a lot more since now. I just made a punching animation. Let's say I made a melee weapon that was a tee punching. If I add front foot walking would that animation play every time I clicked to punch? If I leave it blank does that mean that the feet would walk if I was walking, be ideal if I was not walking, and be in the air if I was jumping?

necropotame wrote:

You should create a .asset file using the editor to create an new skin. The image based version is here just to maintain compatibility with vanilla skins. I will add also a tw06 folder to maintain compatibility with 0.6 skins.

Oh OK your talking about assets being apart of the skin.

necropotame wrote:

I'm not sure yet if it's the best solution smile But it's more "longterm" anyway.

I have ideas for a new map editor and I think I know how you could integrate the two.

Is the arrow in the tee animation the direction the tee is moving?

android272 wrote:

This is making a lot more since now. I just made a punching animation. Let's say I made a melee weapon that was a tee punching. If I add front foot walking would that animation play every time I clicked to punch? If I leave it blank does that mean that the feet would walk if I was walking, be ideal if I was not walking, and be in the air if I was jumping

Tee animation are additive, so if you set some parts to "none", other animations (idle, walk, inair) will be used instead. About timing, yes each time you click "fire", the animation will be reset to 0.

android272 wrote:

Is the arrow in the tee animation the direction the tee is moving?

Yes smile

Will you be able to switch out sprites while an animation is going on or manipulate multiple sprites at once? This punch animation is OK but adding some fire to make it look like your tee is really punching hard would make it look awesome.

It's possible, but you need to define a list of sprites for that (which is impossible from the editor, right now). This is exactly how muzzles are done.
Don't hesitate to post GIF of what you did smile

194 (edited by android272 2016-04-07 15:05:46)

necropotame wrote:

Don't hesitate to post GIF of what you did smile

Oh no I'm OK. It's not that great. But I will be playing with this thing to see what I can make.

How are you thinking of implanting movement?  I have a few animations that would require movement but I don't see how it would work.

I just thought of this.  could you make it so that when you are reloading a weapon that a ninja timer counts down how long until you are able to shoot it again?  I don't know how this would look for the pistol, but I think that the pistol should have clips and not load individual bullets that is how the shot gun should work.

http://s22.postimg.org/wnzd2mmxd/screenshot_2016_04_08_23_37_13.png

196 (edited by necropotame 2016-04-19 12:34:29)

Color Chooser!
http://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-rgb.th.pnghttp://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-hsv.th.png http://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-square.th.png http://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-wheel.th.png

I was not sure which one I prefer, so I've implemented most of them smile Skeletal animations are also done, but the layer system (like slots in spine) is still missing. Editing an animation is now much more easier. You create the skeleton with the mouse (there is tools like "add bone", "translation", "rotation", ...). Then you create a skeleton animation. Still with the mouse, you create key frames in the timeline and you can finally create your animation.

http://www.ultraimg.com/images/skeletal-animation.th.png

@android272: it will be possible to change how is displayed the ammo gauge.

Personally i'd prefer rgba, but I think it's fine as it is right now, where you can pick which color chooser to usd

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

necropotame wrote:

Color Chooser!
http://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-rgb.th.pnghttp://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-hsv.th.png http://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-square.th.png http://www.ultraimg.com/images/color-picker-wheel.th.png

I was not sure which one I prefer, so I've implemented most of them smile

This is great.  Can you add color palettes?  It would be very nice if you could add .gpl to some folder and it appear in a list of palettes in the editor.  .gpl is the stranded open source color palette file format and is used in GIMP, Inkscape, Mypaint, and Krita.

necropotame wrote:

@android272: it will be possible to change how is displayed the ammo gauge.

Cool. also can you add the ability to modify the width and height of an object? maybe even scale proportionately? I have an animation in mind that would look good if I could not only modify the x,y position and rotation but also the x width as well.

android272 wrote:

This is great.  Can you add color palettes?  It would be very nice if you could add .gpl to some folder and it appear in a list of palettes in the editor.  .gpl is the stranded open source color palette file format and is used in GIMP, Inkscape, Mypaint, and Krita.

It could be a particular type of asset. The game/mod/map could define particular colors which can be used by others assets. If you change the color in the palette, all assets that use this color will be automatically updated. Team colors should be defined like this. I will add an option to import .gpl palettes directly.

android272 wrote:

Cool. also can you add the ability to modify the width and height of an object? maybe even scale proportionately? I have an animation in mind that would look good if I could not only modify the x,y position and rotation but also the x width as well.

I postpone the discussion about this to later, because the whole HUD system must be rewritten to be fully customizable. But I guess we can use the skeletal animation for this and create rotation+fading effect on HUD elements, for example.

necropotame wrote:

It could be a particular type of asset. The game/mod/map could define particular colors which can be used by others assets. If you change the color in the palette, all assets that use this color will be automatically updated. Team colors should be defined like this. I will add an option to import .gpl palettes directly.

I was thinking more like you put .gpl files in a folder and when you open the color picker > color palettes there would be a drop down where you would select which color palette to use. Now it might be useful to make your own palettes with in the assets editor but you could also make them in GIMP, Inkscape, Mypaint, or Krita.  You do it how ever you want though.

IV got a few more ideas but I can wait til your able to discuss them if you would like. I don't want to bog you down.