Re: [TeeUniverse] Devlog

Can we test it? And what compiler did you use? I tried to compile sources myself, but i've got a lot of errors .

127 (edited by android272 2016-02-24 06:41:55)

Schwertspize wrote:

That's what we mean with it doesn't work

Sorry for what ever reason when I look at that post I see the image so I thought he was saying that the contents of the image would not work with his system. I will try to get the image working.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

128 (edited by Sonix 2016-02-23 15:50:23)

Schwertspize wrote:

I looked a bit at it, this is the image android wanted to post

http://s18.postimg.org/rshk18tdz/IMG_20160222_034505.jpg

Nop, seems like your img link doesn't work too, this is the correct one:

http://i.solidfiles.net/abebac2ffa.jpg

I will create a branch on github once the asset editor is usable (but still not finished, of course smile )

SealOfTheTime wrote:

Can we test it? And what compiler did you use? I tried to compile sources myself, but i've got a lot of errors .

Do you use Linux or Windows ? What are exactly these errors ? b.t.w., the editor is not yet commited.

130 (edited by android272 2016-02-24 06:59:02)

Sonix wrote:

Nop, seems like your img link doesn't work too, this is the correct one:

http://i.solidfiles.net/abebac2ffa.jpg

Thank you for figguring this out for me i was just going to do this.

So the tabs at the top filter the assets you have created and have access to. Click weapons to see all the weapons you have. Each asset wiould have a preview image and its name to better see what asset you would like to modify.

To the right of the of this you have buttons to creat an new asset, edit, duplicate or delete a selected asset. Duplicate, edit and delete should be under the rest of nthe new buttons but i ran out of room on the paper and i did this in pen.

Like i said befor creating a new asset or editing one would take you to what you have now. From here i dont really know how the eitor works.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

I like it, but I'm not sure if this will be very useful in term of workspace. Like I said, you need to be able to switch between assets in the editor to make something. So what you proposed will be more or less a start screen that will be never use during the creation process. However, such interface could be made to explore a list of assets available online.
You will certainly understand what I mean when you will try the editor smile

132 (edited by Netherland 2016-02-25 22:52:00)

necropotame wrote:

Your image doesn't work sad

Actually it did, but hotlinking it doesn't work.
[image sat here]

edit: didn't see the 6th page, useless post.

privet

133 (edited by necropotame 2016-03-01 23:25:54)

I've pushed the last version on GitHub (in the assets-editor branch : https://github.com/teeworlds-modapi/tee … ets-editor). So you can try it and play with it. Off course, its still far from finished, but it's usable.

Important missing feature :
* Choose the filename for load/save operation
* Create a list of sprites (which are used for muzzles)

How to create a portal gun with the Assets Editor
  • Add this image in your teeworlds folder : http://file1.npage.de/006389/76/bilder/portal_v2.png

• Click on "Assets Editor" in the main menu of Teeworlds ModAPI. The Assets Editor (AE) is made of 4 parts : the Assets List (left), the View (center), the Editor (right) and the Timeline (bottom).

• In the Assets List, click on the "+" icon of the "Images" section. A list of images available in your teeworlds folder is listed. Click on portal_v2.png

• Now, the new image is displayed in the view. Since this image will be used to make sprites, a grid must be defined. In the Editor, set "Grid Width" to 32 and "Grid Height" to 16 (yes, you must click 32 times on the + button for now big_smile ). The grid should be displayed over the image
    http://s24.postimg.org/d3dmibe9d/tuto1.jpg

• In the Assets List, click on the "+" icon of the "Sprites" section. A new sprite is created. You can rename it in the editor. We must also change the "Image" associated to the sprite, which is set to nothing for now. Click on the empty button just after "Image" and select "portal_v2.png" in the external section.

• The last step to create the sprite is to define the coordinates of the sprite in the image (X, Y, Width and Height). To make it easier, click on the "eye" button of the asset "portal_v2.png", in the Asset List. Now, the View show the image, but the editor is still related to the sprite. You sprite is shown in red in the View. Edit your sprite with the Editor in order to get X = 2, Y = 12, Width = 8 and Height = 3. To make sure that your sprite is correctly created, click on the "eye" icon of your sprite in the Assets List. The portal gun should be visible in the view.
    http://s15.postimg.org/4kzpz16yv/tuto2.jpg

• Exercice : try the create a sprite for the "cursor" of the portal gun

• To create the weapon, click on the "+" icon of the "Attaches" section in the Assets List. An attach is more or less a gun with all its graphics effects. You can see in the View a Tee that hold nothing. The big "Eye" circle in the view can be drag and drop to change the aim of the Tee. The same can be done with the big "Arrow" to change the motion direction of the Tee (this is used for the orientation of the ninja blue things)

• In the Editor, click on the empty button just after "Cursor" and select the sprite that you have created as exercice. You should obtain this:
    http://s18.postimg.org/5ejcspo8l/tuto.jpg

• Still in the editor, click on "add element". A new part of your weapon is now ready to be edited. Click on the empty button just after "Sprite" and select the sprite for your weapon. Set the "Size" field to 96 in order to make your portalgun visible.

• Set the "Alignment" field to "Aim". You should obtain this result:
    http://s7.postimg.org/8shs9r59z/tuto4.jpg

I will explain later how to add animations in order to correct the position of the gun (I've found a small bug in the interface for that).

some of your images dont work--postimg is not reliable, i suggest imgur.
in regards to the update and such, ..it's so amazin' o.o nice work

Clan: Riot (I'm one of three leaders: Mile, Deku, pie)
Host teeworlds maps on a fng/ctf/dm/ddrace server for testing:http://riotproductions.tk/teewo/ broken-need reinstall nginx http://riotproductions.tk/bounce?whatEven, Teeworlds NA Discord chat

[pieLover] wrote:

some of your images dont work--postimg is not reliable, i suggest imgur.

It worked for me when I clicked on the image not available image.

necropotame wrote:

I will create a branch on github once the asset editor is usable (but still not finished, of course smile )

SealOfTheTime wrote:

Do you use Linux or Windows ? What are exactly these errors ? b.t.w., the editor is not yet commited.

A lot of errors in classes. I use VS compiler on Win7

I can't try it because I don't have windows. Can you send me the output ?

With this Assets Editor could you make say animated body parts/assecories? I'm thinking flowing hair, hats, bandannas, caps etc. I know obviously you could animate what ever you wanted but could you add animated body parts/essesories?  I still want to see Tees look left but I just thought it would be nice to see a tee really come to life with some animations.

Think of how much cooler this skin would be if the hair flowed as the tee walked.

http://files.homepagemodules.de/b600294/resize/250x187/pictures_u17_6042f8.png

139 (edited by necropotame 2016-03-05 13:20:58)

For sure. I can add a new part called accessories, and add animation for accessories and decorations. What kind of animation do need for that ? I've only implemented position, rotation, scaling (x and y) and color. Is it enough for hair ?

Edit: b.t.w., don't spend too much time on the editor, because your saved assets will be no more compatible after few updates.

140 (edited by android272 2016-03-06 07:42:24)

necropotame wrote:

...What kind of animation do need for that ? I've only implemented position, rotation, scaling (x and y) and color. Is it enough for hair?

Umm I think that will be OK. Can you add the ability to change size like width, height? Not sure how helpful this will be for hair but there are other animations I would like to do where the object gets squashed and then goes back to normal.

As for assecories this is what I was thinking. Look at their hair and bandanas. Teeworlds would be much simpler than this but could you do this?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/5/5e/Ryu-gem-super2.gif/revision/latest?cb=20100409224452

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/streetfighter/images/c/c7/Cammy-super2.gif/revision/latest?cb=20091124041502

Each animation can now specify a width and height (not committed yet). In addition, it's possible to create a list of sprites and tell in the animation which element of the list must be used. It's used for muzzles, but it could works for hair as well.

necropotame wrote:

Each animation can now specify a width and height (not committed yet). In addition, it's possible to create a list of sprites and tell in the animation which element of the list must be used. It's used for muzzles, but it could works for hair as well.

OK cool. Can all animations do this? Or is it limited right now to muzzles?

This might be over kill but it would look cool to create a pistol that would fire back like this and even have a shell fly out like this.

http://orig12.deviantart.net/75cc/f/2014/079/6/4/pistol_gif_by_llamaboyproductions-d79zecp.gif

143 (edited by necropotame 2016-03-06 23:51:49)

All animations use the same system, so they can do the same things. The only exception is for tee animations, because the sprite that they use are defined somewhere else (the skin). In the current system, a weapon is made of elements, a sort of layer. The weapon itself is an element, and muzzles also. There is no more something called "muzzle" in the code, but rather just one element of a list with a sprite and an animation that correspond to a muzzle. In your example, the gun will be made of 4 elements : two elements for the gun with different animations, and two elements for fire effects.

Did you tried the editor ?

No unfortunately my hard dive just died and I am waiting for the new one to get here.

Would ammo be another element for a gun? Or is it it's own separate thing so that multiple guns can use the same bullet?

Can you make melee weapons? Or is a "melee" weapon a regular weapon that does not have projectiles and a short hit radius?

android272 wrote:

Would ammo be another element for a gun? Or is it it's own separate thing so that multiple guns can use the same bullet?

No, the effect of the attack trigger is done by the server, so it's a separated concept called "projectile" or "laser" depending of the weapon. I've implemented a LineStyle asset to create any kind of effect for line based weapon. For projectiles, nothing is done yet.

android272 wrote:

Can you make melee weapons? Or is a "melee" weapon a regular weapon that does not have projectiles and a short hit radius?

All teeworlds weapons are now using the same system in ModAPI. You can create rifles, swords, kungfu attacks or remotes for example. The only limitation is that only one animation per weapon can be done. If you want to create an reload animation, you must create a "reload" version of your weapon and change the weapon depending of the situation (it's completely transparent from the point of view of the player).

necropotame wrote:

No, the effect of the attack trigger is done by the server, so it's a separated concept called "projectile" or "laser" depending of the weapon. I've implemented a LineStyle asset to create any kind of effect for line based weapon. For projectiles, nothing is done yet.

OK cool. Will you make this a thing that many weapons can use? For example a pistol, a semi-automatic rifle, and an automatic rifle visually use the same bullet. If someone wanted to make different bullets, but you really could use the same bullet just fire them at different rates.

necropotame wrote:

All teeworlds weapons are now using the same system in ModAPI. You can create rifles, swords, kungfu attacks or remotes for example. The only limitation is that only one animation per weapon can be done. If you want to create an reload animation, you must create a "reload" version of your weapon and change the weapon depending of the situation (it's completely transparent from the point of view of the player).

What's a remote?  Why can't you create multiple weapon animations and then have the weapon file dictate when to use what animation to use?  It would be nice if guns had shoot, reload, and empty animations. For swards, hammers, kung fury it would be nice to have a few animations to not make it monotonous.

Let me interrupt you.

I think you are going to make modapi less teeish. I know I hate that adjective too, but teeworlds was built with simplicity in mind, please don't change that smile I like it that you can build, for instance, a portal gun, but there is a reason why there is only one melee weapon (the hammer)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

android272 wrote:

OK cool. Will you make this a thing that many weapons can use? For example a pistol, a semi-automatic rifle, and an automatic rifle visually use the same bullet. If someone wanted to make different bullets, but you really could use the same bullet just fire them at different rates.

The server decide what to do when you press the fire button and there no limitation about that. You can even fire random bullets if you want smile

android272 wrote:

What's a remote?  Why can't you create multiple weapon animations and then have the weapon file dictate when to use what animation to use?  It would be nice if guns had shoot, reload, and empty animations. For swards, hammers, kung fury it would be nice to have a few animations to not make it monotonous

I will add some kind of state base animation, but not for the first release of ModAPI. You must know that all mechanics like reloading are done by the server. Even the "no ammo" sound is send by the server. If I add multiple animations for weapons, then the server should tell the client which one to play. It means that the server must send an Animation ID along side the Weapon ID. So why not just send a different weapon ID instead ? It more flexible because you can change whatever you want like number of elements or alignments with the aim. The only problems is the delay to send the new weapon ID, due to network. That's why I will implement something like states based animation, but later.

Schwertspize wrote:

Let me interrupt you.

I think you are going to make modapi less teeish. I know I hate that adjective too, but teeworlds was built with simplicity in mind, please don't change that smile I like it that you can build, for instance, a portal gun, but there is a reason why there is only one melee weapon (the hammer)

There is one (or two if you count ninja) melee weapon because no vanilla game mode use more that one melee weapons. But for mods, the fact that the hammer is used to infect, heal of build wall make them not teeish for me. teeworlds is simple and accessible. But mod, by using non-appropiate sprite are very hard to unserstand. Providing ways to display new graphics make possible teeish mods. Of course, someone can use ModAPI to replace all graphics by an ugly star wars based theme rendered in 3D. But well, I guess that people will not play it smile

149 (edited by android272 2016-03-08 15:09:50)

necropotame wrote:

I will add some kind of state base animation, but not for the first release of ModAPI. You must know that all mechanics like reloading are done by the server. Even the "no ammo" sound is send by the server. If I add multiple animations for weapons, then the server should tell the client which one to play. It means that the server must send an Animation ID along side the Weapon ID. So why not just send a different weapon ID instead ? It more flexible because you can change whatever you want like number of elements or alignments with the aim. The only problems is the delay to send the new weapon ID, due to network. That's why I will implement somethingmodse states based animation, but later.

I guess I don't understand. From the standpoint of skemone who would make a gun I would think that I would make the graphics, the animations, place it were it needs to be when the tee holds it, all the attributes that the gun has, maybe some actual programming to make completely new functionality, rap it all up in a fike/many files that I could post here that people could then use for their mods which are somehow put on a server which sends packets that the client then interprets and presents it on the players screen.......  As a person who is making a new gun for Teeworlds I don't really care how everything up to presenting an image to the player works. I just want to know how I can save myself some work and make one bullet animation for three guns that could fire the same bullet at three different rates. I really just want to make the shooting animation, the bullet animTion, the reload animation, and maybe the empty animation. And I think it would be best if it were presented as "the same gun".  Whether that's true or not does not really matter the the one making the gun. That's what I am saying. Now for modders who want to make a gun that can not do what ModAPI gives them out of the box all of this stuff may be nessisary to know when coding.

I'm thinking of the portle gun, siile's weird guns: https://youtu.be/drTpEd99ZI4 or this thing: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i3882wFkAAo

Schwertspize wrote:

Let me interrupt you.

I think you are going to make modapi less teeish. I know I hate that adjective too, but teeworlds was built with simplicity in mind, please don't change that smile I like it that you can build, for instance, a portal gun, but there is a reason why there is only one weapon (the hammer)

I am sorry but I absolutely hate the fact that Teeworlds HAS to be simplistic. Keep it simple stupid is a montra that is used way too much.  I love Teeworlds simple design and game play but keeping something simple for the sake of keeping something simple (stupid) is just that stupid.  I envision a Teeworlds that is way more complex than what we have today, but the devs/community is too scared to change their perfect game. Change is scary but sometimes it is a good thing, and to not even try something or discuss it because we need to keep it simple or I don't want to implement something is just silly and is in my opinion killing this game.

Yep, I'm fully your opinion (both), I just meant that we have to be careful not to change too much smile

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)