Re: [TeeUniverse] Devlog

Hmmm maybe OpenFNG will keep the lol text cause it looks creepy good :l

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

It's one of the points that make me don't like this mod. It looks too far from TeeWorlds style. But what I said was just an example ^^

What's about a way to connect your players to other servers? Like BungeeCoord in Minecraft.

Interesting but right now out of the scope. There is an issue related to that on github : https://github.com/teeworlds-modapi/teeworlds/issues/37

I've updated TargetMod. Now, each client plays in a separated world and the best score is displayed in the server name. There is also different type of target. Some of them need to be hit by a specific weapon.

For the next update, I want to remove randomness, so each run will be the same and you can learn from your mistakes. I will also add a ghost to show how the best run has been done. It will be very competitive smile

PS: Congratulation, Neox, you just explode my personal record of 42 ^^

Will there be a random mode?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

@necropotame
Awesome work so far!
And looking at the current state of your project and the features you are still planing to implement, it will probably get a huge player base.

It would definitely be fun to start modding again wink

@android272: The position of the target is randomly chosen from a list. But the same seed if be used for all runs. Each day, a new seed is generated and the best score reset to zero. So it's still random in one sens.

@invNeq: Thanks! I hope so too smile

Small bug fix on TargetMod: the best score is now property saved. I've also added an indicator to find the nearest target and an indicator to show the score like nameplates. These two indicators are made using CModAPI_NetObject_SpriteCharacter and CModAPI_NetObject_TextCharacter, implemented by killa. Since they are attached to the player, the predicted position is no more laggy. You can try it yourself using the last version on GitHub smile

Here, is screenshot of the game using ModAPI, and usiong vanilla 0.7 client:

http://s12.postimg.org/bgcz4cuwd/modapi_spritecharacter.png

The api lacks a documentation, as far as I see.

Teeworlds [ friends ] clan
Some YouTube Stuff about Teeworlds

111 (edited by necropotame 2016-01-28 23:21:54)

jxsl13 wrote:

The api lacks a documentation, as far as I see.

Your are right. But since ModAPI is in active development, I postpone this for a little later (but I promise, I will do it !)

New update for TargetMod: Each run use the same seed and you run against the ghost of the leader

necropotame wrote:

New update for TargetMod: Each run use the same seed and you run against the ghost of the leader

Are seeds chosen? Like can a player call for a vote to change the seed at random/choose a specific seed?

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Devlog: I've implemented the custom weapon system for the client side. Now, all weapons use the same weapon description and there is not more condition like "if Weapon == NINJA, do something special". The only missing part concerns the particle effect associated to ninja, but I will add it later.

This step was long because I recode a lot of stuff in vanilla client, in particular tee animations and tee drawing. But this will offer a lot of possibilities. I think that at the end, I will remove all vanilla sprites and animations and replace it by a simple .mod file that contains everything (.mod file should be renamed .cldata, maybe). It means that it will be harder to change the game.png file, but in same time, you will be able to change sprites, animations and weapons (just graphics) on your client without touching the source code.

Now the big drawbacks is that it become complicated to create a new weapon. For the gun, you need to create an animation for recoil, an animation for hand and an animation for gun muzzle. It's hard to create an animation because you must change x,y positions and angle in your source code, compile, test it, and then do it again, and again, .... You can of course copy-past the code for any weapons and just change the sprite, but it would be sad to don't take advantages of all possibilities offered by such flexible system. So I've decided to implemented a new entry in Teeworld menu called "Mod editor" or something like that. In this editor, you will be able to create a .mod file with an adapted interface. I hope that such editor will motivate the community to create some kind of database in which modders can take elements.

android272 wrote:

Are seeds chosen? Like can a player call for a vote to change the seed at random/choose a specific seed?

No, they are just random. But we can think about something like that, why not.

necropotame wrote:

Now the big drawbacks is that it become complicated to create a new weapon. For the gun, you need to create an animation for recoil, an animation for hand and an animation for gun muzzle. It's hard to create an animation because you must change x,y positions and angle in your source code, compile, test it, and then do it again, and again, .... You can of course copy-past the code for any weapons and just change the sprite, but it would be sad to don't take advantages of all possibilities offered by such flexible system. So I've decided to implemented a new entry in Teeworld menu called "Mod editor" or something like that. In this editor, you will be able to create a .mod file with an adapted interface. I hope that such editor will motivate the community to create some kind of database in which modders can take elements.

Can we use a program like spine to animate the tees? Here's a video.

115 (edited by necropotame 2016-02-15 14:10:21)

android272 wrote:

I need some limits about what ModAPI can do smile From now, I've kept the same structure than vanilla, but with more abstraction. Then, I will add more feature from this base. So animations are right now just a list of frames with X, Y, angles and opacity for each "part" of the tee. Implementing something based on bones is much more complicated (but possible) and not needed to animate a simple tee. So for now, I will stay with the simple approach. However, I really want to offer a good interface for animation in the Mod Editor, and I guess you can give me feedback because I've no experience in this domain smile

Here, some screenshots of the first version of the editor :
http://s17.postimg.org/cqrfdjskb/modeditor_image.jpg http://s9.postimg.org/epqumg74r/modeditor_sprite.jpg

Edit: new version, with interface for animation
http://s7.postimg.org/zcixm01yv/modeditor_sprite.jpg http://s13.postimg.org/zduvct4lv/modeditor_animation.jpg

necropotame wrote:
android272 wrote:

I need some limits about what ModAPI can do smile From now, I've kept the same structure than vanilla, but with more abstraction. Then, I will add more feature from this base. So animations are right now just a list of frames with X, Y, angles and opacity for each "part" of the tee. Implementing something based on bones is much more complicated (but possible) and not needed to animate a simple tee. So for now, I will stay with the simple approach. However, I really want to offer a good interface for animation in the Mod Editor, and I guess you can give me feedback because I've no experience in this domain smile

OK just wondering.

necropotame wrote:

Here, some screenshots of the first version of the editor :
http://s17.postimg.org/cqrfdjskb/modeditor_image.jpg http://s9.postimg.org/epqumg74r/modeditor_sprite.jpg

Edit: new version, with interface for animation
http://s7.postimg.org/zcixm01yv/modeditor_sprite.jpg http://s13.postimg.org/zduvct4lv/modeditor_animation.jpg

This looks amazing. I was trying to imagine a new animation system a little while ago, mine was sort of similar to this but your idea is so much better. So is this right now just a easier way to create an animation file needed to make custom weapons?

android272 wrote:

So is this right now just a easier way to create an animation file needed to make custom weapons?

The "Mod Editor" is the tool to create the .mod file send by the ModAPI server to the ModAPI client. You can define sprites, animations, tee animations, weapons, particlues effetcs, ... It's true that sprites are used for weapons, but they can also be used directly by the server like in TargetMod smile

necropotame wrote:
android272 wrote:

So is this right now just a easier way to create an animation file needed to make custom weapons?

The "Mod Editor" is the tool to create the .mod file send by the ModAPI server to the ModAPI client. You can define sprites, animations, tee animations, weapons, particlues effetcs, ... It's true that sprites are used for weapons, but they can also be used directly by the server like in TargetMod smile

So this is a separate app? Or is it apart of the game like the map editor?

It's like the map editor, so everyone can play with it without doing anything.

I've changed the name of things called "mod". Now, they are called "assets". You download an .assets file from the server, and this file is created using the "Assets Editor". Here, the last version of the Assets Editor :

http://s7.postimg.org/st0fl9dx3/assetseditor_image.jpg http://s12.postimg.org/s26eyhwux/assetseditor_hammer.jpg http://s28.postimg.org/p70odl1p5/assetseditor_gun.jpg

The left part is a list of all assets. If you click on the name, you can see it in the center, and you can edit it with the right panel. If you click on the "pencil" button, you can edit the asset, but the view still display the previous asset.

In the image view, you can see which parts are already defined as sprites (yellow squares).
The "weapon" view (in fact, it's called attach view) allows you to see the final result of your weapon. The aim of the tee can be moved with the mouse.

Nice!

I will be banned if I troll again ...

122 (edited by android272 2016-02-22 11:44:43)

I have an idea for this new screen. There should be a file browser like screen when you first start up this assets editor.

At the top of the screen there would be a bar with a back button on the left of the bar to get the the main menu, on the right side of the bar would be the settings button like there is now with the game browser.

Below this bar there would be a tabed section that shows all your assets as a preview image or an animated gif of your assets. The tabs along the top are to filter the assets based upon their type. The tabs include All, animations, particlues effetcs, sprites, tee animations, vehicles, and weapons.

To the right of the tab section there are a bunch of buttons. These buttons include new particlues effetc, new sprite, new tee animation, new vehicles, new weapon, separator, delete, duplicate, edit and rename.

Selecting a file will allow you to press the delete, duplicate, edit ,and rename buttons to perform that action. Once you create or edit an animation/sprite/weapon/vehicle you would jump to the screen you have now. The only difference would be that instead of the menu you have on he left you would have if your editor/animations allow: layers, layer groups, sprites, animations and or tees used in this animation.

This would allow you to add multy layer animations with might get a little complex but I think it would be worth it. 

I also imagine for weapons being able to create for example a muzzle flash animation and using it for many guns then you woukd define when and wear this animation would be placed.

Lastly tees might be an outlier need but I think you should be able to define how what ever weapon/vehicle affects enomy and alie tees.  This would be nice for when you might interact with other tees or something.

Below is a quick sketch of my idea, my hardrive died or I would have a more polished version like I normally do.

assets editor browser

What do you think?

Your image doesn't work sad

I understand your idea. The problem is that you need to switch between assets to create something. If you want to create a weapon, you have to add an image, define a sprite for muzzle and for the gun, then create an animation for each sprite, plus an animation for the hand. Then, you must create a tee animation that contains the animation of the hand. Finally, you must create a attach with two layers, one for the muzzle and one for the gun. Doing all of this in separated tabs will be painful.

android272 wrote:

This would allow you to add multy layer animations with might get a little complex but I think it would be worth it.

An attach is composed of elements (kind of layers). Muzzles and gun are elements of an attach, but you can also add more elements and decide of the order (over or under hands, tee, ...). That way, you can create double guns, reload animations, ...

android272 wrote:

Lastly tees might be an outlier need but I think you should be able to define how what ever weapon/vehicle affects enomy and alie tees.  This would be nice for when you might interact with other tees or something.

This part is not related to assets, but to mods. You need C++ for that because it's server sided. We could imagine some script system or editor for that, but I don't want to go into that right now.

necropotame wrote:

Your image doesn't work sad

Do you mean you can't see the image? Of that what is contained in the image does not work with your system works?

necropotame wrote:

I understand your idea. The problem is that you need to switch between assets to create something. If you want to create a weapon, you have to add an image, define a sprite for muzzle and for the gun, then create an animation for each sprite, plus an animation for the hand. Then, you must create a tee animation that contains the animation of the hand. Finally, you must create a attach with two layers, one for the muzzle and one for the gun. Doing all of this in separated tabs will be painful.

I think I will have to see your editor at work in order to understand how it works. Am I able to compile your source right now and use this editor?

necropotame wrote:

This part is not related to assets, but to mods. You need C++ for that because it's server sided. We could imagine some script system or editor for that, but I don't want to go into that right now.

OK I thought this might be harder

http://i.imgur.com/XSMu5ga.jpg

That's what we mean with it doesn't work

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)