Re: [TeeUniverse] Devlog

I have seen this visual effect done before and it does look nice once you add shadows and the glow of the earth. and once your lighting system is done I am sure it will look nice but til then we can always just add a teeish shadow. Here and here are two videos on how to make this effect work. I don't have good animation software or I would do it myself. The image I posted above took me like 3 hours to do in GIMP.... I hate GIMP animation.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

Ok, it's not as bad as I though, but still not perfect (I'm very sensitive to map projection deformations). I keep it in mind when I will start the implementation of the light system/mask/shader/frame buffer that we talk about before. Once the system is here, we can play with it and test.

PS: for animation, you can try Synfig. It's open source and available on Linux.

228 (edited by android272 2016-10-01 16:25:36)

necropotame wrote:

PS: for animation, you can try Synfig. It's open source and available on Linux.

yah I just can't use Synfig. I thought it would be a good animation tool but I just don't like the way it works.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Devlog: I'm lost in a black hole coding tongue Starting to changes some parts and finally reimplementing everything. So I've created a new directory and I progressively reconstruct the game from a fresh start.
The good news: I can create the architecture that I want. For example, it will be possible to play and start a server from the client. I've removed the old kernel and the hell of virtual classes and hidden implementation. I've also switched to CMake for the compilation + a custom simple system for unit testing.
I think I will also separate the client from the assets editor because it not something that the new user should look at. And for technical reason, I can optimize in a better way each part if they are separated.

Sounds like a great time to switch to Ninslash! wink

Ninslash is based on 0.6, not 0.7, which introduce some problems (no token for connexion, leading to spoofing issues, no SDL2, ...). Since the code is similar to vanilla, I will found on it all that things that originally invite me to re-implement a lot of things (like the translation system, the gui, the kernel, the text rendering, the map editor...). And Ninslash is too oriented to one particular game, which is contradictory with the goal of TeeUniverses.
What I want, if Ninshlash become popular, is to implement a compatibility layer for TeeUniverses. If will not be that hard since the code is already compatible with both 0.6 and 0.7. I've just have to check an another master server list, convert your graphism/animation/sound into TeeUniverses assets, and plug the physics engine on it.
The only difference may be the shaders, because I will use mine for other purpose and I'm not sure that it will be a good idea to let servers to send random shaders to client. But I think a solution can be found smile

A custom teeworlds compatible client and server.

Right?

Shall I create a little website for it? Well, I will do a short sketch but not more for now.

We don't need it yet

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

For sure, a website will be usefull in the future. But right now, there is nothing to show smile

Devlog: I trying to finish the first version of the editor so you can test it smile There is also some important new features.

GUI improvement
I'm still improving the style and the features of the GUI. In particular, it's now possible to resize each "panel" of the editor.
https://s17.postimg.org/dt0liee9n/Screenshot_from_2016_11_19_00_03_59.png

Package system
The package system is a core feature of TeeUniverses. It replace maps in TeeWorlds, and the "Universe, World, Land, Skin" system of previous versions of TeeUniverses. A package is a list of assets AND a list of required packages. When a package is loaded, all needed packages are loaded as well. In the future, when a TeeUniverses client will connect a server, the server will send the list of needed package, and the client will download only ones that are missing or outdated. There is two major advantages with that:

• The client don't have to download the same image multiple times. This will save a lot of time during map download. The idea is to put the map tiles in one package, and the image in another. That way, if the map layout change, but not the image, the client will download only the map layout smile

• It will become more easier to share stuff on Internet. You can create a package "Beach Environment" with all needed images, animations and sprite and share it on Internet. Then, a map maker will just have to download it, open it in the editor and start to use it in his map. And you can update your environment without breaking the map (and without opening the map, in fact)

A funny point is also that this system allows you to open multiple maps simultaneously. Of course, all this dependency stuff is automatic. When you save your map, the editor looks which packages are needed.
I've converted the vanilla external images into packages to facilitate the conversion of vanilla maps.

Even if you don't want to use the TeeUniverses Client or Server, the editor will provide you a good way to create normal maps. Just think about this package system as a "project file" to create what you want, and finally export it into vanilla map.

Oh wow. That's awesome. Very nice job.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Thanks smile

Small additional note: TeeUniverses will be under the AGPL license. This means that:

• You can't distribute a modification of TeeUniverses (or a mod made with it) without provide the sources in the same time.

• You can't create a modified server without provide the sources to players.

The second point may sounds a bit too much, but this prevents people to create private mods that will be lost later, as it happens a lot in the TeeWorlds community. I also like the idea that, like for maps, you can easily get a mod just by playing on it. In practice, this will take the form of a chat command like /sources, that will display a link to the sources. Since most of mod are on github, I don't think it's really harmful.

necropotame wrote:

Small additional note: TeeUniverses will be under the AGPL license. This means that:

• You can't distribute a modification of TeeUniverses (or a mod made with it) without provide the sources in the same time.

The second point may sounds a bit too much, but this prevents people to create private mods that will be lost later, as it happens a lot in the TeeWorlds community. I also like the idea that, like for maps, you can easily get a mod just by playing on it. In practice, this will take the form of a chat command like /sources, that will display a link to the sources. Since most of mod are on github, I don't think it's really harmful.

I think this is, nobody will either stick to the license or even use TeeUniverses for their mods...

238 (edited by Neox 2016-11-19 23:55:56)

necropotame wrote:

Thanks smile

Oh wow lol. I was thinking about using it... not to be rude, but there's no way I'll use a project that has such a license. Unless I'm planning on making the mod opensource...

Henningstone wrote:

I think this is, nobody will either stick to the license or even use TeeUniverses for their mods...

I fully agree with you

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

I want that people works together in order to create good mods. Sharing code is a part of it. As I've said, this prevent also code to be lost once you get bored with TeeWorlds.
Since the source code of TeeUniverses is completely different from the one of TeeWorlds, you have to write again all your mods. So you can decide at this moment to switch to an open source license.

You must take into account one more point. TeeUniverses servers will be registered 3 times on master servers: the one of 0.6, the one of 0.7 and the one of TeeUniverses. In the last one, servers are sorted by universe (a set of game types and guidelines). The "Standart gametypes" filter will be also effective here. If a "mod" is not the standard one (ie, the official mod), but pretend to be it, it will be banned. That way, devs can keep control and make sure that the game-play stay appropriate.

One last point: even if you don't want to release your code, you can still use the editor (to export your maps) and the client smile

240 (edited by necropotame 2016-11-20 03:29:07)

Just a reminder in case someone miss it: I've renamed the old teeuniverses git repository to "teeuniverses-old-draft", and created a new one with the name "teeuniverses". So make sure that you follow the correct one smile It means also that the code is available and you can test it if you want. However, it's not even a beta version, so I don't recommend to do it, except if you want to help me compilation on Windows or OSX (good luck...).

You can follow how things are going until the beta here

There is also a IRC channel on QuakeNet if you need some help: #teeuniverses

Thanks necropotame tongue finally someone with a good license. And thanks that you aren't using bam anymore smile

Haha neox you can still write a custom tu compatible game client (and server) and release it unlicensed tongue

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Screenshot of the day big_smile I'm working on entities edition (in TeeUniverses, "entities" are things like pickups and spawn, while "zones" are solid/nohook/death tiles). You can see also in the toolbar a slider that control the "opacity" of zones. When the opacity become high, the map turns progressively to black, so you can focus on the layout.

https://s18.postimg.org/c7rfoz9ph/teeuniverses_ctf5_normal.png https://s21.postimg.org/cqzimpab7/teeuniverses_ctf5_zones.png

243 (edited by east 2016-11-24 15:17:29)

Your project seems pretty awesome from what I've seen so far.
But like a few others I also disagree on the license. I appreciate people sharing code but forcing them to do so is a bad idea.
(also licensing generally is a shitty topic, rather keep the doors as far open as possible)

Nevertheless, once I'm done with my current Semester and got some time spare I will probably participate developing on your project.

I understand your point of view (east, Neox and Henningstone). However, I will not change the license in a near future. My idea is to create a community of mod-makers, with a constant sharing. Everyone should be able to know what is the code behind the game, whatever if you are just a player and an another programmer. No more code will be lost, and the security will be improved.
I understand that sometimes, people want to create a coherent ecosystem without having 100 alternatives of the same mod, with half of them unbalanced or with abusive moderators. However, keep secret the code is not the appropriate answer to this problem. Moderating the master server is definitively more interesting and open. Once your mod start to be popular, the TeeUniverses team will create a new entry in the start menu for you, and will give you the key to moderate the server list inside (in particular, make sure that all mods inside are pure). The visibility will be completely different between a fork and the original version. Yes, I fully agree with TeeWorlds about the "purity criteria" in the server list. It's very important to create something coherent. Of course, an universe containing all non-regular servers will be still available.

If nobody want to use TeeUniverses because if the AGPL licence, I will consider GPL or Apache instead. But I strongly think that it's possible to create a community with the actual one. DDNet, OpenFNG, InfClass and all small mods are already open source. So it's not like TeeWorlds relies on private mods.

necropotame wrote:

I understand that sometimes, people want to create a coherent ecosystem without having 100 alternatives of the same mod, with half of them unbalanced or with abusive moderators. However, keep secret the code is not the appropriate answer to this problem.

Everyone its not like being open source stops you from doing what ever you want in your mods. All it means is that everyone can see what you are doing, learn from it, make improvments to your mods or their own. No one can force you to change your mod just because it is open source.

246 (edited by Henningstone 2016-11-24 22:52:09)

android272 wrote:
necropotame wrote:

I understand that sometimes, people want to create a coherent ecosystem without having 100 alternatives of the same mod, with half of them unbalanced or with abusive moderators. However, keep secret the code is not the appropriate answer to this problem.

Everyone its not like being open source stops you from doing what ever you want in your mods. All it means is that everyone can see what you are doing, learn from it, make improvements to your mods or their own. No one can force you to change your mod just because it is open source.

The thing is rather that not all people understand how this "giving and taking" works that opensource finally is all about aswell, and they pretty much abuse it by just 'taking'. That means, taking code of you (or pieces of it) and telling everyone that they made it (or even selling it for money; sadly I'm talking out of experience). And eventually they are such big assholes that they actually convince people that YOU stole it from THEM. That's one of the biggest downsides that I see about opensource in teeworlds. Don't get me wrong, I'm also in favor of it, but well... if there are too many scumbags the whole point of it will get ruined.
For example, another popular reason for opensource is that other people can find bugs in your code and help you fix it. In teeworlds, they'd rather use the bugs they find to crash your server (not to be taken as a generalization, there are also many good guys!). But honestly, one scumbag is already one more than you'd like, right?

247 (edited by Neox 2016-11-25 10:20:51)

To be honest, I think that if I was forced to make my mods opensource in Teeworlds, I'd quit it. I know that sharing is good, in fact, I am sharing some of my mods source code, and still planning on sharing more mods source code. But sometimes, I'd rather keep some code (and eventually binaries) secret, so that only I own them. This is why if I was forced to make them opensource, I'd simply quit it.

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Henningstone wrote:

The thing is rather that not all people understand how this "giving and taking" works that opensource finally is all about aswell, and they pretty much abuse it by just 'taking'. That means, taking code of you (or pieces of it) and telling everyone that they made it (or even selling it for money; sadly I'm talking out of experience). And eventually they are such big assholes that they actually convince people that YOU stole it from THEM. That's one of the biggest downsides that I see about opensource in teeworlds. Don't get me wrong, I'm also in favor of it, but well... if there are too many scumbags the whole point of it will get ruined.
For example, another popular reason for opensource is that other people can find bugs in your code and help you fix it. In teeworlds, they'd rather use the bugs they find to crash your server (not to be taken as a generalization, there are also many good guys!). But honestly, one scumbag is already one more than you'd like, right?

If you post your sources on GitHub, or in a forum, the timestamp will solve this problem. Once again, someone that don't respect a license should be master banned (in TU master servers, IDK about TW).
Concerning security, both are true, but in long-term, I think everything will be more secure. Someone that exploits your bug is not changing the state of your project, while someone that solve it makes your project more secure.

Neox wrote:

To be honest, I think that if I was forced to make my mods opensource in Teeworlds, I'd quit it. I know that sharing is good, in fact, I am sharing some of my mods source code, and still planning on sharing more mods source code. But sometimes, I'd rather keep some code (and eventually binaries) secret, so that only I own them. This is why if I was forced to make them opensource, I'd simply quit it.

Nobody is forcing you. This "restriction" will be clearly visible to everyone so they will not even start to work on TeeUniverses if they don't want to publish sources. Please note also that you can create solo mods or lan-only mods without sharing sources, and you can use the editor or the client without problem. Things created with the editor are not under any license, of course.

249 (edited by Neox 2016-11-25 15:48:32)

Deleted.

I was answering to your latest answer but it's pointless as you're not gonna change the license anyway, even while most people think this license isn't good. I probably won't write here anymore.

By the way, if you wonder about why I dislike this license ; I have servers with account systems. These servers exist for months, even years. I simply don't wanna publish these servers sources, for several reasons (such as people hosting that same server in order to steal my old players passwords, people changing the rewards so that you get 1000x more than in the original mod... or simply because I don't want everybody to have the work I've done).

while(!Success())
    TryAgain();
Try until you succeed.

Neox wrote:

Deleted.

I was answering to your latest answer but it's pointless as you're not gonna change the license anyway, even while most people think this license isn't good. I probably won't write here anymore.

By the way, if you wonder about why I dislike this license ; I have servers with account systems. These servers exist for months, even years. I simply don't wanna publish these servers sources, for several reasons (such as people hosting that same server in order to steal my old players passwords, people changing the rewards so that you get 1000x more than in the original mod... or simply because I don't want everybody to have the work I've done).

And to prevent this exact situation, necropotame has chosen this license. smile