Re: Teeworlds on Steam, now released!

HMH wrote:

@heinrich5991, @Bumbletee: is that a Steam-only problem ?
@Bumbletee: does the non-Steam version work ?

If required I can test this on my Mac soon.

// edit:

My guess is that Steam might have a different structure for Mac-Applicatons and doesn't use the standard bundle-structure and thus mixes up sdl and freetype dependencies. If that is the case and the dependencies are stored somewhere else relative to the executable I can easily recompile and fix it. Well just a guess, tell me if I can help smile

I have been playing Teeworlds since the 0.4 era, so yeah, the non-steam version always worked - apart from the 0.6.x (can't remember  which exactly) version that also shipped without the libraries for MacOS.

I have never installed freetype systemwide, so if it is not shipped with the game, it can't start.
If someone else tries it, he should make sure that he also never installed the libraries, because we can't assume that people downloading the steam version have the libraries installed.

About the mixing up of libraries:
The executable provided in the steam release searches the libraries in the relative path "executable_directory/.. /Frameworks/" which is the Layout the packaged app for MacOS is shipped in when downloading from this website. But in the steam release this folder layout is not available as only the executable from the packaged app is provided, missing everything else. (I have also not found any steam folder containing the libraries - I think they were just forgotten like in the 0.6.x release I mentioned earlier)

HMH wrote:

// edit:

My guess is that Steam might have a different structure for Mac-Applicatons and doesn't use the standard bundle-structure and thus mixes up sdl and freetype dependencies. If that is the case and the dependencies are stored somewhere else relative to the executable I can easily recompile and fix it. Well just a guess, tell me if I can help smile

Bumbletee wrote:
HMH wrote:

// edit:

I have been playing Teeworlds since the 0.4 era, so yeah, the non-steam version always worked - apart from the 0.6.x (can't remember  which exactly) version that also shipped without the libraries for MacOS.

I have never installed freetype systemwide, so if it is not shipped with the game, it can't start.
If someone else tries it, he should make sure that he also never installed the libraries, because we can't assume that people downloading the steam version have the libraries installed.

About the mixing up of libraries:
The executable provided in the steam release searches the libraries in the relative path "executable_directory/.. /Frameworks/" which is the Layout the packaged app for MacOS is shipped in when downloading from this website. But in the steam release this folder layout is not available as only the executable from the packaged app is provided, missing everything else. (I have also not found any steam folder containing the libraries - I think they were just forgotten like in the 0.6.x release I mentioned earlier)

If any of you two could help me, I'd be very happy. I don't have a Mac, so all I can do is "remote testing" – do you what libs are missing (freetype and SDL?), where I have to put them, and which versions I need?

28 (edited by Bumbletee 2015-08-25 10:39:36)

@heinrich5991

The folder structure provided by the steam release:
- data (folder)
- license.txt
- teeworlds
- teeworlds_srv
- storage.cfg
- readme.txt

The folder structure i get the steam version to work with (combined the steam-folder-layout and the normal release-folder-layout):
- Frameworks (folder)
   - libfreetype.6.dylib
   - SDL.framework
- MacOS (folder)
   - data (folder)
   - teeworlds
   - storage.cfg
- license.txt
- teeworlds_srv
- readme.txt

I introduced the MacOS folder because of the relative-path the executable uses for the libraries.
Of course steam isn't happy about moving the executable into another folder, but i just started it from there and it worked perfectly - so the steam config has to be changed as well to point to MacOS/teeworlds.

The versions of the library-files libfreetype.6.dylib, SDL.framework are the same as the ones in the releases on this website.

Bumbletee wrote:

@heinrich5991

- data (folder)
- license.txt
- teeworlds
- teeworlds_srv
- storage.cfg
- readme.txt

The folder structure i get the steam version to work with (combined the steam-folder-layout and the normal release-folder-layout):
- Frameworks (folder)
   - libfreetype.6.dylib
   - SDL.framework
- MacOS (folder)
   - data (folder)
   - teeworlds
   - storage.cfg
- license.txt
- teeworlds_srv
- readme.txt

I introduced the MacOS folder because of the relative-path the executable uses for the libraries.
Of course steam isn't happy about moving the executable into another folder, but i just started it from there and it worked perfectly - so the steam config has to be changed as well to point to MacOS/teeworlds.

The versions of the library-files libfreetype.6.dylib, SDL.framework are the same as the ones in the releases on this website.

Can you try now?

30 (edited by Bumbletee 2015-08-25 13:40:53)

heinrich5991 wrote:
Bumbletee wrote:

@heinrich5991

- data (folder)
- license.txt
- teeworlds
- teeworlds_srv
- storage.cfg
- readme.txt

- Frameworks (folder)
   - libfreetype.6.dylib
   - SDL.framework
- MacOS (folder)
   - data (folder)
   - teeworlds
   - storage.cfg
- license.txt
- teeworlds_srv
- readme.txt

Can you try now?

Now the game can start, but no data like graphics can be loaded.
I saw that you did not use the layout i proposed, but just copied the contents of the app package. This does not work - as starting a packaged game on the Mac sets the relative paths different than starting the executable directly (as steam does it). This means that the data folder has to be moved in the same place where teeworlds and teeworlds_srv are located.

Bumbletee wrote:

Now the game can start, but no data like graphics can be loaded.
I saw that you did not use the layout i proposed, but just copied the contents of the app package. This does not work - as starting a packaged game on the Mac sets the relative paths different than starting the executable directly (as steam does it). This means that the data folder has to be moved in the same place where teeworlds and teeworlds_srv are located.

Thanks for your patience with me! Can you try now? I think I took your layout now.

heinrich5991 wrote:

Thanks for your patience with me! Can you try now? I think I took your layout now.

No problem, I am glad I can help.
It is now working perfectly.
One minor thing is that the data folder is now existing twice, but that has only impact on the download size.

Bumbletee wrote:

No problem, I am glad I can help.
It is now working perfectly.
One minor thing is that the data folder is now existing twice, but that has only impact on the download size.

Yea, that's a work-around for now. Thanks for your help, couldn't have fixed that without you.

Would you add me on Skype/Steam/somewhere, so I can contact you if I have problems with the Mac version again?

heinrich5991 wrote:

Yea, that's a work-around for now. Thanks for your help, couldn't have fixed that without you.

Would you add me on Skype/Steam/somewhere, so I can contact you if I have problems with the Mac version again?

Yeah sure, look at your PM's.

Just came on to say thank you so much to all of you who made this happen!! I can't believe the number of players on at the moment.

Nilaya wrote:

Just came on to say thank you so much to all of you who made this happen!! I can't believe the number of players on at the moment.

I know! I am finally able to play on a full server without ctf5.

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

Dr.Dre wrote:

I know! I am finally able to play on a full server without ctf5.

Right, that's soooo good finally again. I even had the honor play a ctf2 match with Oy himself! big_smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Great news smile

ctf2 is really underrated, i hope this will revive the map, it has such a great gameplay!

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

i never though I would see Teeworlds with so many players! however i feel that we will see ddos attacks to the master servers more frequently... i hope not however

Playing Teeworlds since 2011!
"I will always be topless for you"
                  - Günther Branlutte

HUrray! wooo

Maybe we can have more NA CTF players! Or maybe not! Probably not!

Comments on that trailer, its' a bit too late, but I think it's a bit... too fast paced, and not descripitive enough with not enough examples. Also, way too much unnecessary slowdown and wavy cam. Oh well, no one listened to the americans, because of racism. (maybe?)
Actually, this critism wouldn't be needed if you said you wanted a "tiny video that names the gametypes and says it's open source" directly, so.... fault on really no one's part..

(1+ Oblique)
Sorry if I insulted someone, that trailer is fine if that's really the type of trailer the devs wanted, which it is, so I think it's fine.
(+1 Savander)

Great job peoples... now we can have more ctf5 players! aaaaaaaaaa

no

Hip Hip Hurrray

Just heard of this news and had to come back to give a round of applause to the whole team. This addicting game finally got the popularity it deserves smile

» Albert Einsteein: I have no special talent. I am only passionately curious.

Teeworlds seems to be on the front page right now!

http://i.imgur.com/5rVvEgOh.png

Great news!

Not Luck, Just Magic.

Wow!
That is great

I don't project my insecurities on other people.

as far as I noticed, not any longer.... but that's not because we are great (of course we are great, but they don't know....). it is because we are new and they want people to try something new and buy that and tell it to others, so if you. just wait, every game will appear on the front page. but yeah. it's cool

ps: I'm also thinking of providing teeworlds in a docker container for all admins running Linux. (dockerfile connected to the github repo and the docker hub.)

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

Nice one, pity I came to late to see it myself. smile

Loving TW since 2010 smile

Hello everyone! I just found this game on steam and I just downloaded. Let's have some fun big_smile

Welcome to the jungle wink

Antoine de Saint Exupéry: It seems that perfection is reached not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
Besides -  I am the gfx guy!