Re: Yet another bot in teeworlds

What? That bot is already a client. Even if it was not based on the teeworlds source it would still be a client. Ive reviewed the source, its based on the vanilla client, the graphic part got removed.

Neither the binary should be released, that would cause lots of lolkids spamming servers with bots. Just keep your stuff private, everyone who is educated enough can make a similar bot on his own.

Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Proudly verkeckt since 2010.

"lolKids" already spam servers with bots. and as Siile said it is super easy to make a bot with or with out his contributions.  I think it should be published so that it can be built into vanilla TeeWrolds as an AI system.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

Check out my DeviantArt for all my TeeWorlds art and ideas for Teeoworlds

I made my mind about release the source so i will smile

Yay, good, I hope other people will improve it.
Other online games have bots and no one complains. Kids will be kids, but the comfort of having usable open-source bot outweighs that IMO.

@pelya agreed.

Jesus is my Lord and Savior. Praise be unto God for giving us a way to live with him.

I've been around teeworlds for quite a few years (remember teewars?) but not as a very active player. On and off mostly.
I still return to it not just because I find it a great game but also because it's easy to get someone to try it.
The initial learning curve is almost non-existent. It works great for LAN parties. If everyone is new in the game, it's super fun and enjoyable.
That is until they try it online and find someone skilled. It's too hardcore, they can't keep up and most frequently drop it.
In my opinion, the skill gap between new and experienced players and the lack of tools to help often pushes new players away.

As I see it, bots are one way to help this.
So for years I've been looking at different bot efforts that sadly never got to a point of being useful.

Seeing someone's effort being pushed back due to fears of misuse makes me rather sad and annoyed...

Anyway, just wanted to show my support to @rand() and say that what I read in the thread is promising. If you can get the bot engine to a point where people can actually use it to train offline, I think it may actually benefit the community in the long term. Specially if like @android272 and @pelya mentioned, you can make their level adjustable either automatically or by user choice.
In this way, bots could be used as a tutorial or training ground to help filling the skill gap I mentioned. A pattern common in most FPS games. Get to know the game before going out there to the online jungle.

On a side-note @rand(), in case you never heard of it, have a look at:
http://omni-bot.invisionzone.com/wiki/
and one game where you can try that engine: http://www.etlegacy.com/
This engine is quite advanced and designed for 3D games. Still there may be some ideas and/or code that you could reuse from there.

In the future, much like @pelya I'd love to see this built into vanilla teeworlds. If properly implemented, people could then filter servers based on presence/absence of bots.
That way, if you really hate playing with or against bots, you can filter out servers that have them.

Last but not least, @rand() You mentioned back there that you would be releasing the code sometime in the future. Do you have it somewhere already? If not, do you have any release date planned?

Cheers

Thanks for your suport big_smile

Unode wrote:

In this way, bots could be used as a tutorial or training ground to help filling the skill gap I mentioned. A pattern common in most FPS games. Get to know the game before going out there to the online jungle.

I ve this use in mind from early versions but I m still far from this.

On a side-note @rand(), in case you never heard of it, have a look at:
http://omni-bot.invisionzone.com/wiki/
and one game where you can try that engine: http://www.etlegacy.com/
This engine is quite advanced and designed for 3D games. Still there may be some ideas and/or code that you could reuse from there.

Thanks for the tips, I'll take a look on this.

In the future, much like @pelya I'd love to see this built into vanilla teeworlds. If properly implemented, people could then filter servers based on presence/absence of bots.
That way, if you really hate playing with or against bots, you can filter out servers that have them.

I think I will make a server mod from the bot to make this clean. In fact, since the bot is a client, it can connect on any server, with a server mod, the bot managment will be smoother and closer to other game bots.

Last but not least, @rand() You mentioned back there that you would be releasing the code sometime in the future. Do you have it somewhere already? If not, do you have any release date planned?

No, the source are not release yet. Because of:
- IRL, bunch of work until november
- i want to clean the source, clean my repo before pushing it
- i think i better make a server mod before release it.

58 (edited by Unode 2015-10-02 23:49:27)

rand() wrote:

Thanks for your suport big_smile

No, the source are not release yet. Because of:
- IRL, bunch of work until november
- i want to clean the source, clean my repo before pushing it
- i think i better make a server mod before release it.

No pressure, we all have RL stuff to take care and other priorities.
I agree that making it server side would be a nice way to address some of the community concerns. Or at least reduce their immediate impact.

Just wanted to show my support and not let your efforts go to waste or be forgotten due to whatever reasons smile

I'm keeping tabs on the thread now. Progress won't go unnoticed big_smile

Best success and nice work so far.

59 (edited by rand() 2015-10-11 20:58:47)

Well, I m happy to annouce a first version of my bot as server mod i named bCTF/bDM
I worked today on it. I make the AI simpler. (In fact, the may difference is that the flag is basically ignored)

You can find the server here : 195.154.80.148:8305. (name: Random | with ai bot() (testing) | Server mod version)

If the server is down, it may be because of undefined behaviour (and server crash)

Bots are invinsible on server browser (because I did nothing about it) but there are 4 bots on it. Also, up to 16 players can join, the bots leave when too much player join. Im not sure if they rejoin (try change map in this case).

Edit: In fact, because the bots dont vote, change map is a bit tricky ^^

ehm... just exclude the bots from vote.... and Rand() I may host another one. -> pm

Having troubles finding servers in the serverlist? Go to Pastebin (its a referer cause there is daily a new pastebin) and add the lines to your settings.cfg (in %APPDATA%\teeworlds). Then open teeworlds and go to the favorites tab. (Note however, standard teeworlds client can only show 256 favorites, use ddnet instead)

61 (edited by rand() 2015-10-11 22:02:04)

The solution is simple, i only didnt implement it yet ^^

I think i don't need another server until i make a release. But thanks smile

Updated

Bots are exclude from vote. They rejoin if a bot's slot is released (ie a player leaves).
I add a vote to set the bot number (2;4;6). (and classic votes for dm and ctf)

Why not have a full room of bots? I imagined seeing a room with 4/16, 8/16, 12/16 .etc but when you enter the room you would see 16 players.  when players join a bot leaves the room, if a player leaves a bot joins the room.   What is the reason you set a limit to the bots?  I always seem to get on when there are very few players playing so joining a room full of mostly (dumb is) bots would be awesome.

Also did you consider my idea about giving the bots their own skins?  It could be just like the  x_ninja skin.  If you have a skin named x_bot then that would be the skin for the bots.

Each bot implies more computation ine the server main loop. It could lead to more latency.
Plus, the AI is still basic. Playing with 15 bots is not interesting.

Not counting bots in server browser is important to respect master server rules and be close to a pure server.
The number of bots can technicaly be set from 0 to 16. It cant be more than 16 since a bot take virtually a player slot. That's why bots leave when players join.

Btw, since its a server mod, i'll release the source as soon as the bot code uses deeply server functions.

Hey, nice to see a progress on this.

I'll made a post in modification soon for the mod.

About the skin, i don't want to set a skin hardcoded (for the client).
For th server, maybe a config variable for it.
I add custom color for bot, so there are obvious in DM
See : https://youtu.be/viqnfPmHNlk

If someone does not have the skin it would look like the default skin. Just like when we are playing if I had a custom skin you would not see it unless you also had my custom skin or a skin that was named the same as my skin.

I added a server variable to configure bot's skin. (set to x_ninja atm)

The mod is 0.7 ready. I admit i work on 0.7 because it's simpler than improve the AI :3
Anyway, I'm now aware of how make my mod so that support of both 0.6/0.7 is possible without more work.

Update about the server hosting the bot.
To match server rules (about human player), i stopped register to master servers.
You still can connect on it ('195.154.80.148', 8303)

You also can use the server mod https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … pid=116016

I'm creating a arcade machine that will likely contain teeworlds on it. You think I can use your bot for it?

72 (edited by rand() 2015-11-13 17:24:48)

I didn't release neither binary nor source for the client bot, but you should be interested in the server mod version that is easier to use (since i release the binary) : https://www.teeworlds.com/forum/viewtop … pid=116016

However, the AI is still stupid and not really interesting to play againt except for few players that love it :3

Btw, the server doesnt appear on server browser since i removed registration to respect master server rules. It's still running at 195.154.80.148:8303

Edit:
Moreover i didn't work on the AI of the client bot since weeks. I m currently working on the mod version, especially on the 0.7 teeworlds mod.

I was more so looking for the source, so I could implement a fng bot too.

Would it be possible if you could PM or email me the source (server pref, but client may be an interesting read), like you did with pelya? I am very interested in how you would implement a bot.

kkprince wrote:

Would it be possible if you could PM or email me the source (server pref, but client may be an interesting read), like you did with pelya? I am very interested in how you would implement a bot.

Its on Github