Topic: Versioned filename and .tar.gz for bam

Could you please distribute bam as something like bam-0.1.tar.gz instead of bam.zip?
- silent bam.zip updates confuse source-based build systems like FreeBSD ports, which use checksums to verify distfile integrity
- targz'ipped bam is ~4x smaller than zip'ed
- unzip binary won't be needed when building from source

Thanks.

Re: Versioned filename and .tar.gz for bam

Can look into it.

3 (edited by AMDmi3 2008-03-27 21:58:02)

Do please, I had to repack bam as bam-20080326.tar.gz and host it on my own server for FreeBSD port of teeworlds for now.

One more request for this from me. This will make packaging process simpler not only on FreeBSD.

Btw. is there possible or how to pass locations where should teeworlds search for data files? Also is there possible to pass a location where teeworlds should install?

Arvenil wrote:

One more request for this from me. This will make packaging process simpler not only on FreeBSD.

Btw. is there possible or how to pass locations where should teeworlds search for data files? Also is there possible to pass a location where teeworlds should install?

No, this is not possible right now, It will be in the future.

Arvenil wrote:

is there possible or how to pass locations where should teeworlds search for data files? Also is there possible to pass a location where teeworlds should install?

In FreeBSD port, I had to do all this by patching default.bam and bam/src/base.bam (make it respect systemwide CC, CXX, CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS, pthread library settings, tweak some libs (remove asound, add Xxf86vm needed on my system), make it link against system portaudio and zlib instead of building it's own) and sources for correct path to data/. Also the port is installing the game by itself.

I totally agree that bam needs a version in it's tarball.
Just think of checksums... they won't match every new release that comes with the same filename.

Rerolled distfiles mean pain to every porter on all distributions.
For a start, a developer can copy the distfile to contain the version number.
It could be done within seconds, or if a new upload is required perhaps a few minutes.

What i'm basically trying to say: Spend a few minutes of your time to push
the distribution of teeworlds (or bam, in this case) and make the
(future) life of porters easier.

Looking forward to get a clean port ready and finally check out this probably
nice game...

Regards,
Simon

I'll look into this as soon as possible.

9 (edited by jscinoz 2008-04-19 07:20:04)

I'm going to agree with the masses here, this would make my life much easier with the Debian package. Although from talks with matricks on IRC, BAM is going to be undergoing quite a few major changes in the near future, so this is probably just one of the smallest changes tongue

The last reply mentioned future development of bam.  But right now i'd be happy
if the current version just had the filename changed, nothing else... so no
actual new release or tarball is required.

Any news on this?

0.5 will not only contain a cleanup of the code, a new bam version will come which is improved a lot. If you read the Developer Journal/Blog you'll see exactly what's going on.

matricks wrote:
Arvenil wrote:

No, this is not possible right now, It will be in the future.

Check out Gentoo Linux ebuild, you have to fix few paths before "make" and it works with data in different dir. (;

Hmmm,
still no versioned filename for bam?  Quite sad...
This hurts noone!  In fact, the opposite would be the case.
And clearly fail to understand what this has to do with new releases of teewars as it's a different tool that isn't even bundled with the teewars source.

Please, put a version string to the bam distfile.

Kind regards,
Simon

So, 0.5.0 was released and I there is still no sign of versioned bam tarball.
Is it so hard to repack it as bam-0.5.0.tar.gz or bam-20090114.tar.gz and fix a link in http://teeworlds.com/?page=docs&wik … Everything ?
That would really help packaging, thanks.

bam has versions and we will update the compiling everything-doc soon.

http://teeworlds.com/trac/bam

16 (edited by void 2009-01-14 15:50:18)

There is, that page is just not fully updated yet
Bam has it's own page http://teeworlds.com/trac/bam
With versioned tar.gz- and zip-packages.
Use 0.2 for teeworlds 0.5.0 and trunk

EDIT: too slow hmm

Languages shapes the way we think, or don't.

Great! But could you put bam-0.2.0.tar.gz to http://www.teeworlds.com/files as well? There's problem dealing with ?format=raw in filename, and also I'm not sure that trac guarantees immutability of the file.

AMDmi3 wrote:

Great! But could you put bam-0.2.0.tar.gz to http://www.teeworlds.com/files as well? There's problem dealing with ?format=raw in filename, and also I'm not sure that trac guarantees immutability of the file.

Done by matricks.

Great, thanks a lot!